Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Starting to Think We Go QB Early
Recent CBS Mock Draft has the Bengals picking two QBs in the first 5 rounds. Say it ain't so!
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2019, 03:17 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: I'm no Dalton lover, but let the guy have just one year without Dingleberry Lewis hovering over him like a bat.  Let's just see what happens.  

I agree, but we also have to keep in mind that we've blame entire worthless seasons upon coordinators during the Marvin Lewis era, too.  I sure hope we don't have anyone like Zampese or Ausin on board at the moment, but we could roll into 2020 saying that 2019 didn't count for Dalton because Callahan stinks so much, etc.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2019, 03:28 PM)Chezaugie Wrote: Recent CBS Mock Draft has the Bengals picking two QBs in the first 5 rounds. Say it ain't so!

Where are you seeing this?
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(04-11-2019, 03:50 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I agree, but we also have to keep in mind that we've blame entire worthless seasons upon coordinators during the Marvin Lewis era, too.  I sure hope we don't have anyone like Zampese or Ausin on board at the moment, but we could roll into 2020 saying that 2019 didn't count for Dalton because Callahan stinks so much, etc.

I sure hope that between ZT, Callahan, and Van Pelt this season we don't have that excuse.

And please let's put the offensive line excuse behind us as well !
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2019, 12:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: 1.  Patrick Mahomes is not the only QB taken in the first round recently.

2.  What the Chiefs did when drafting Mahomes is so rare that you might as well argue we should wait to draft a QB in the sixth round because that worked for the Patriots.

My argument is when to draft your franchise qb (before or after the roster is built). Not what round to draft a qb.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2019, 04:02 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Where are you seeing this?

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/seven-round-nfl-mock-draft-2019-254-picks-34-trades-and-full-breakdowns-for-all-32-teams/
Reply/Quote
I really don’t understand the obsession with QB as the pick this year.
Honestly the reason Murray and Haskins bolted to the Draft this year was because it’s a non existent class.

I would bet good money if they came out in 2020 they would be day 2 picks at best. QBs always get overdrafted.

I say let teams blow it on this poor crop and let some really good players fall to us.

Lock is the only one that intrigues me and even then I wouldn’t burn a 1st round pick on him.

Let’s build the team and wait to see how 2019 shakes out. The media does this every year. For at least a week before the draft most pundits were pushing for us to draft Lemar which thank god we didn’t.
Reply/Quote
I’m not sure I am a fan of taking a QB early. I’m starting to believe Haskins will be there but I have watched six of his games so far and I just don’t see it. A lot of screen passes, fine short game, iffy mid-game and his deep ball is very concerning. Late throws, skittish in the pocket, inaccurate throws. I saw some positive but I am definitely left with more questions than answers.

Besides, I think there are other, more important holes to fill. Go LB or OL, let Dalton play the year out and if you want someone, get them next year.
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2019, 08:33 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I’m not sure I am a fan of taking a QB early. I’m starting to believe Haskins will be there but I have watched six of his games so far and I just don’t see it. A lot of screen passes, fine short game, iffy mid-game and his deep ball is very concerning. Late throws, skittish in the pocket, inaccurate throws. I saw some positive but I am definitely left with more questions than answers.

Besides, I think there are other, more important holes to fill. Go LB or OL, let Dalton play the year out and if you want someone, get them next year.

Unless Dalton completely falls apart in 2019 he's still not going to be the problem going into 2020.  I'm not saying we should get a QB now, but unless Dalton refuses to sign here when his contract is up, I don't see replacing him ever being as much of an obvious move as people think it will be.
Reply/Quote
I have trouble understanding why so many of the Bengal fans have suddenly jumped on the "Bengals are going to draft a QB" bandwagon.

I ask you this one question, why? Andy Dalton is a seasoned, professional QB, who's not bad at what he does. With all of the other fundamental holes on the team; Do you really think spurning those needs in favor of a QB will really fix anything?

Perhaps someone that knows much more than me can enlighten me on why drafting a QB THIS YEAR is a great idea?

On a side note; Personally, I think that some Bengal fans just think that we need to "keep up with the Browns" as they draft a QB most every year..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2019, 06:00 PM)Chezaugie Wrote: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/seven-round-nfl-mock-draft-2019-254-picks-34-trades-and-full-breakdowns-for-all-32-teams/

Ew. That is gross.

Reply/Quote
(04-11-2019, 09:55 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I have trouble understanding why so many of the Bengal fans have suddenly jumped on the "Bengals are going to draft a QB" bandwagon.

I ask you this one question, why?  Andy Dalton is a seasoned, professional QB, who's not bad at what he does.  With all of the other fundamental holes on the team;  Do you really think spurning those needs in favor of a QB will really fix anything?

Perhaps someone that knows much more than me can enlighten me on why drafting a QB THIS YEAR is a great idea?

On a side note;  Personally, I think that some Bengal fans just think that we need to "keep up with the Browns" as they draft a QB most every year..

In all fairness, the Browns are proof that starting a bunch of crappy QBs over the span of 15+ years can lead you nowhere and the Bengals are proof that starting two good QBs over the span of 15+ years can lead you nowhere.

This is why I can see why people want a different QB, but this is also why I can see why QB hasn't been the reason the Bengals haven't won anything of note, too.  It's a conundrum.  How could a franchise that has had 15 years of solid, reliable QB play from guys as OK as Palmer and Dalton won 0 playoff games in that span when teams have notched playoff wins with Rex Grossman, Bort Bortles, Carson Palmer, and other ho-hum QBs in that same timespan?

At least we changed our HC finally.  The Browns start a new QB and new HC every year to no avail and we started 2 QBs and had the same HC for what seemed like an eternity to no avail.  Meh, I just doubt fans of teams that aren't the Lions or Bills see much difference between the Browns and Bengals as far as success goes. I can only imagine fans of a team that keeps drafting new QBs or hiring new HCs/GMs could say "Yeah, well look at the Bengals...they never change a thing and they haven't won, either."

Ok, generic rant over....for now?
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2019, 03:50 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I agree, but we also have to keep in mind that we've blame entire worthless seasons upon coordinators during the Marvin Lewis era, too.  I sure hope we don't have anyone like Zampese or Ausin on board at the moment, but we could roll into 2020 saying that 2019 didn't count for Dalton because Callahan stinks so much, etc.

The Head Coach will be calling the plays and I'm pretty sure it's his offense. Callahan will be fetching the coffee. 

(04-11-2019, 09:55 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I have trouble understanding why so many of the Bengal fans have suddenly jumped on the "Bengals are going to draft a QB" bandwagon.

I ask you this one question, why?  Andy Dalton is a seasoned, professional QB, who's not bad at what he does.  With all of the other fundamental holes on the team;  Do you really think spurning those needs in favor of a QB will really fix anything?

On a side note;  Personally, I think that some Bengal fans just think that we need to "keep up with the Browns" as they draft a QB most every year..

I'm not saying what I want them to do, I'm saying what I think they'll do. Pretty sure that goes for Run Ki-Jana as well. 

New regime often = new QB. Also, We've done nothing exciting this off-season outside of hiring Taylor. We hired a bunch of very green coaches with mediocre resumes. We had perhaps our most boring free agency in many years, which is saying something for us.

So a QB would generate excitement and maybe sell some tickets...and maybe Taylor will want a guy of his own. I'm not sure it'll happen in the 1st. I'd feel much more confident in saying we will take a QB somewhere. Possibly higher than people might expect.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2019, 12:19 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote:  Also, We've done nothing exciting this off-season outside of hiring Taylor.

So a QB would generate excitement and maybe sell some tickets.

A new QB will not sell any tickets unless he starts winning.

Before we hired a new coach there were tons of threads about how Mike had to hire a new coach to "excite the fan base and sell tickets", but just three months after hiring that new coach a large portion of the fanbase is showing there true colors and are cranking up the whines.

Remember all the threads about how everything was Marvin's fault because the front office had given him "one of the best rosters in the league" and/or "enough talent to win".  They claimed that if we would just hire "anyone but Marvin" the fans would have "renewed hope and excitement" and support the team again.  But now that they have their new coach that is not enough. Now we have to have a new QB.

Bengals fans will not buy tickets to support a struggling QB in his rookie year.  Instead they will crucify him and stay home and criticize the Bengals for doing "nothing exciting except hiring a new coach and drafting a new QB".
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2019, 12:19 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The Head Coach will be calling the plays and I'm pretty sure it's his offense. Callahan will be fetching the coffee. 

I'm not saying what I want them to do, I'm saying what I think they'll do. Pretty sure that goes for Run Ki-Jana as well. 

New regime often = new QB. Also, We've done nothing exciting this off-season outside of hiring Taylor. We hired a bunch of very green coaches with mediocre resumes. We had perhaps our most boring free agency in many years, which is saying something for us.

So a QB would generate excitement and maybe sell some tickets...and maybe Taylor will want a guy of his own. I'm not sure it'll happen in the 1st. I'd feel much more confident in saying we will take a QB somewhere. Possibly higher than people might expect.

Yeah, I tried to make myself clear but it's not taking.

I don't really care. If I'm being honest, I think I'd like it, as long as it's not Daniel Jones or us giving away assets to trade up and take Murray.

Haskins, Lock and Grier, if drafted in appropriate spots, all have enough upside and talent to excite me. I have never been a fan of Dalton. I know he's probably a little better than league-average but he's never inspired confidence in me and I would be fine if Taylor decided to go the rookie QB contract/blow up the offense and start from scratch route. 

If we do the "sensible" thing and go LB/DL and maybe take a flier on a QB with one of our 6th rounders (I think we make every pick in the 6th round), then I'll be fine with that as well. 

The only outcome I won't be able to tolerate is them going full John Ross again. 

Reply/Quote

I'm with you here. I don't get the draft a QB hype this year or every year for that matter. The line started to crumble in 2016, with Whit and Zietler, and we haven't fixed it.  Any rookie QB behind this line, is going to be Klinglerized. Fix this line and AD will be a top 10 QB.
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2019, 11:31 AM)sandwedge Wrote: I'm with you here. I don't get the draft a QB hype this year or every year for that matter. The line started to crumble in 2016, with Whit and Zietler, and we haven't fixed it.  Any rookie QB behind this line, is going to be Klinglerized. Fix this line and AD will be a top 10 QB.

I agree, it's really tough to fault Andy Dalton for the team's lack of success.  In fact, I really don't think that you could find another who's as accurate, stands in there under pressure, and has a quicker release time than Andy, for less than $25M/per.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2019, 09:36 AM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Yeah, I tried to make myself clear but it's not taking.

I don't really care. If I'm being honest, I think I'd like it, as long as it's not Daniel Jones or us giving away assets to trade up and take Murray.

Haskins, Lock and Grier, if drafted in appropriate spots, all have enough upside and talent to excite me. I have never been a fan of Dalton. I know he's probably a little better than league-average but he's never inspired confidence in me and I would be fine if Taylor decided to go the rookie QB contract/blow up the offense and start from scratch route. 

If we do the "sensible" thing and go LB/DL and maybe take a flier on a QB with one of our 6th rounders (I think we make every pick in the 6th round), then I'll be fine with that as well. 

The only outcome I won't be able to tolerate is them going full John Ross again. 

Tiger Agreed. However, my thinking is that ZT wants the future franchise QB to be in on the new offense from day 1 and a year (possibly 2) to learn ala Steve Young, Aaron Rodgers etc....
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(04-12-2019, 09:24 AM)fredtoast Wrote: A new QB will not sell any tickets unless he starts winning.

Before we hired a new coach there were tons of threads about how Mike had to hire a new coach to "excite the fan base and sell tickets", but just three months after hiring that new coach a large portion of the fanbase is showing there true colors and are cranking up the whines.

Remember all the threads about how everything was Marvin's fault because the front office had given him "one of the best rosters in the league" and/or "enough talent to win".  They claimed that if we would just hire "anyone but Marvin" the fans would have "renewed hope and excitement" and support the team again.  But now that they have their new coach that is not enough. Now we have to have a new QB.

Bengals fans will not buy tickets to support a struggling QB in his rookie year.  Instead they will crucify him and stay home and criticize the Bengals for doing "nothing exciting except hiring a new coach and drafting a new QB".

Once again, you seem to be making up a group of people to argue against. I'm not getting into this same tired "hater/whiner" debate with you.

Btw, I strongly disagree that new 1st round QBs don't sell tickets or excite fan bases. Especially when the overall fan base is less than enamored with the current QB.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2019, 07:33 PM)Junglejuice Wrote: I really don’t understand the obsession with QB as the pick this year.  
Honestly the reason Murray and Haskins bolted to the Draft this year was because it’s a non existent class.  

I would bet good money if they came out in 2020 they would be day 2 picks at best.  QBs always get overdrafted.

I say let teams blow it on this poor crop and let some really good players fall to us.  

Lock is the only one that intrigues me and even then I wouldn’t burn a 1st round pick on him.  

Let’s build the team and wait to see how 2019 shakes out.  The media does this every year.  For at least a week before the draft most pundits were pushing for us to draft Lemar which thank god we didn’t.

I will agree with you on Haskins, but I don't agree with your assessment of Murray. Other than his size/durability concerns, he has a wonderful skillset and foundation to build from. Incredibly mobile, can throw on the run, good deep ball, good anticipation. He is a legitimate first round prospect, and would be a high pick in nearly any draft class.
Reply/Quote