Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Starting to Think We Go QB Early
I still say we have more important needs on this team. The obvious upgrades needed on the OL would (hopefully) give Dalton more time to make his decisions. And I personally think he throws better when people aren't draped all over him.

And to say we need some LB'ers is an understatement. Just do not see a true franchise QB in this years crop.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2019, 08:35 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: I still say we have more important needs on this team.  The obvious upgrades needed on the OL would (hopefully) give Dalton more time to make his decisions.  And I personally think he throws better when people aren't draped all over him.

And to say we need some LB'ers is an understatement.  Just do not see a true franchise QB in this years crop.

The Ravens have never had a franchise QB and were able to win a Super Bowl through their defense. Maybe, just maybe for once, we should focus more on the defense and win us one going that direction, yes I know, we have Zac now, but heck, he could do something unexpected.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2019, 12:10 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: The Ravens have never had a franchise QB and were able to win a Super Bowl through their defense. Maybe, just maybe for once, we should focus more on the defense and win us one going that direction, yes I know, we have Zac now, but heck, he could do something unexpected.

We've had two starting QBs for the past 16 years.  I'm not saying we should take a QB this year, but Mike Brown hasn't voluntarily moved on from a legit starting QB yet in his nearly 30 years of running the show here and people are acting like we've NEVER tried to just build around the guy we have.

I will say, the idea of winning a SB because of a defense that was dead last in 2018 might just be crazy enough to work.
Reply/Quote
Last year we had a "perfect storm" of injuries, poor play by depth forced into the lineup and schemes on both sides of the ball not suited to the strengths of the players. This year we have a brand new staff. I believe that both sides of the ball will improve simply because the schemes will fit the players better. As to the draft, I think ZT wants to succeed out of the gate, and that means devoting the early picks to LB and OL.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2019, 12:10 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: The Ravens have never had a franchise QB and were able to win a Super Bowl through their defense. Maybe, just maybe for once, we should focus more on the defense and win us one going that direction, yes I know, we have Zac now, but heck, he could do something unexpected.

So as the title of the thread suggests, you're thinking we go QB early?  
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2019, 02:23 PM)Joelist Wrote: Last year we had a "perfect storm" of injuries, poor play by depth forced into the lineup and schemes on both sides of the ball not suited to the strengths of the players. This year we have a brand new staff. I believe that both sides of the ball will improve simply because the schemes will fit the players better. As to the draft, I think ZT wants to succeed out of the gate, and that means devoting the early picks to LB and OL.

I agree 110%!   ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2019, 07:54 PM)XsandOs Wrote: To get good value for your slot, the Team that is picking after you, has to have a need for a player/position that others crave.

Since GB is picking after us, no QB needy Team will move to our spot. It will cost them less to move to 12 than 11.

like any other sector, there is a lot of propaganda to create panic. Teams will pay these draft "experts" to project players to certain Teams that are picking immediately after them, to increase trade value for their slot.

I wouldn't be at all surprised that Denver is behind the Bengal interest in QB mocks.

Anyway, since GB has Rodgers, unless a Josh Allen, Ferrell or Bosa fall past Denver, it will be tough for us to get good value in a trade back.
How is it any wiser to wait until the 12th pick instead of the 11th. If no other team wants to move ahead of you why not wait and pick your QB with your own pick. Which QB is still available and where teams have them on their boards will determine if they are willing to trade up. If one of the four fall in the first round we should let Zac have a chance with his guy. If all are gone then the Bengals get a top talent with a 11th pick. Lets just hope they don't pick the flavor of the month ala Ross.
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2019, 09:55 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I have trouble understanding why so many of the Bengal fans have suddenly jumped on the "Bengals are going to draft a QB" bandwagon.

I ask you this one question, why?  Andy Dalton is a seasoned, professional QB, who's not bad at what he does.  With all of the other fundamental holes on the team;  Do you really think spurning those needs in favor of a QB will really fix anything?

Perhaps someone that knows much more than me can enlighten me on why drafting a QB THIS YEAR is a great idea?

On a side note;  Personally, I think that some Bengal fans just think that we need to "keep up with the Browns" as they draft a QB most every year..

Most fans are realists. Eight years of Dalton has proven that he is not the answer. I believe he could be a "legit" pro bowler with a top o-line. .Being unable to move out of the pocket and having a terrible line the last two years has exposed how to beat the Bengals. Drafting a talented QB is going to put pressure on Dalton, step up or step down. Every fan who derides him on these boards wants to see him succeed but having a ready replacement if injury or lack of production happens seems like the best path to the future. 
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2019, 09:38 AM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Most fans are realists. Eight years of Dalton has proven that he is not the answer. I believe he could be a "legit" pro bowler with a top o-line. .Being unable to move out of the pocket and having a terrible line the last two years has exposed how to beat the Bengals. Drafting a talented QB is going to put pressure on Dalton, step up or step down. Every fan who derides him on these boards wants to see him succeed but having a ready replacement if injury or lack of production happens seems like the best path to the future. 

A ready replacement is a backup QB, you don't need to get one of those in the early rounds.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2019, 10:42 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: A ready replacement is a backup QB, you don't need to get one of those in the early rounds.

We’ve seen teams do it like the Pats with Jimmy G. Granted Brady was like 57 when they did, but still lol

They also took Brissett early.

With QB being the most important position I don’t really see it as a waste.

Reply/Quote
(04-15-2019, 11:01 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: We’ve seen teams do it like the Pats with Jimmy G. Granted Brady was like 57 when they did, but still lol

They also took Brissett early.

With QB being the most important position I don’t really see it as a waste.

Comparing the Bengals management style with the Patriots is kind of an apples to oranges comparison, don't you think?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2019, 11:30 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Comparing the Bengals management style with the Patriots is kind of an apples to oranges comparison, don't you think?

Well, I wish we did things more like them anyway.

Reply/Quote
(04-15-2019, 10:42 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: A ready replacement is a backup QB, you don't need to get one of those in the early rounds.

Ready? What do you think ready means? You mean like the one we had last year? The Packers  and Chiefs took a Quarterback while having Farve and Smith. I guess we wouldn't be that stupid.
Reply/Quote
Linebacker this year, QB next. If White is on the table, it should not take longer than a few seconds to lock in our pick.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2019, 04:00 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: The Packers  and Chiefs took a Quarterback while having Farve and Smith. I guess we wouldn't be that stupid.

The Patriots got their best QB in the 6th round.  Why don't we just do that?  I meean if something happens to work out randomly every twenty year that means thar is clearly the best way to do it.

I mean look at how well it worked out when we used our first riound Pick on Jack Thompson while we still had Ken Anderson.

It obviosly works every time.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2019, 09:24 AM)fredtoast Wrote: The Patriots got their best QB in the 6th round.  Why don't we just do that?  I meean if something happens to work out randomly every twenty year that means thar is clearly the best way to do it.

I mean look at how well it worked out when we used our first riound Pick on Jack Thompson while we still had Ken Anderson.

I detect sarcasm here.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2019, 09:24 AM)fredtoast Wrote: The Patriots got their best QB in the 6th round.  Why don't we just do that?  I meean if something happens to work out randomly every twenty year that means thar is clearly the best way to do it.

No one said it will positively work but it is an option that doesn't repeat the same thing they have done for the last eight years. Everyone wants change but no one wants to change. I think there is an adage "doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result is the definition of insanity". I just post my opinions . I don't have any foolish thoughts that I am smarter than everyone else like some people do. How's that for sarcasm?
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2019, 05:40 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: No one said it will positively work but it is an option that doesn't repeat the same thing they have done for the last eight years. Everyone wants change but no one wants to change. I think there is an adage "doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result is the definition of insanity". I just post my opinions . I don't have any foolish thoughts that I am smarter than everyone else like some people do. How's that for sarcasm?

BTW Anderson was terrible when they drafted JT. 21 tds and 33 ints in 25 previous starts. So I guess if you were the GM you wouldn't have tried to replace him? The following year Anderson posted his best season in four years(QB competition?). Is it a coincidence that Dalton had his best year after they took AJM? 
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2019, 05:54 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote:  Is it a coincidence that Dalton had his best year after they took AJM? 

Why ask a question?  Why not just state your opinion?

Personally I think it is absurd to suggest that the Reason Dalton had his best season in 2015 was because we used a fifth round pick on a QB in 2014.  But I am anxious to hear what you think.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2019, 06:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Why ask a question?  Why not just state your opinion?

Personally I think it is absurd to suggest that the Reason Dalton had his best season in 2015 was because we used a fifth round pick on a QB in 2014.  But I am anxious to hear what you think.

My opinion is a lot of people wanted that fifth rounder to start over Dalton and that is what motivated him. Also did you ever hear of a rhetorical question( I'm asking but you already know the answer)? You don't believe pressure from others tends to improve an employee? Complacency creeps in when there is no competition. 
Reply/Quote