Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
State jobs for illegals?
Anyone find the idea of rewarding illegal aliens with State jobs a bit problematic? Not only that they would be given State jobs, but foregoing the Civil Service Exam and HS Education requirements as well. Way to go, NY!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ny-governor-prioritizes-illegal-immigrants-for-state-jobs/ar-BB1jwOkj?ocid=msedgntp&pc=U531&cvid=38769df9da5c4786b7bb305f7ad23a28&ei=178

Quote:New York Governor Kathy Hochul is pushing a plan to prioritize hiring illegal aliens for state jobs by eliminating certain requirements like the civil service exam and high school diploma.

The aim is to expedite the process for illegal immigrants to secure state jobs once they have work permits.

“Hotel owners and restaurant owners coming to me: ‘Can you send some of the migrants up here? We need them.’ I hear this in every corner of the state,” Hochul said.

Mayor Eric Adams also supports this initiative, aiming to address labor shortages.

“I would love to get migrants and asylum seekers to help with the lifeguard shortage. We’ve been successful in getting almost 30,000 people to [file] applications, including work authorization, asylum, TPS — we want more,” Adams said.

State Senate Labor Committee chair Jessica Ramos advocates for putting illegals ahead of citizens in job opportunities, proposing higher taxes on the wealthy to fund these positions.

“I think that every single New Yorker that can and wants to work should be able to work, especially, I think, when we start looking at our state jobs and how many of them are readily available,” Ramos said.

“In a state where we see that income inequality is worse than ever — we had 120 billionaires in New York state prior to the pandemic, we’re up to 135 today — that only means that more money is being hoarded,” she said. “It is not being circulated in our communities,” Ramos said.

However, New York is experiencing an exodus of both the wealthy and the working class due to high taxes and unfriendly business policies.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
If they are in the country illegally how can they legally hold a job? As for prioritizing them for jobs, that's an easy answer. Gotta make sure you tie these future voters to the Democratic party as soon as possible.

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2024, 12:42 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: If they are in the country illegally how can they legally hold a job?  As for prioritizing them for jobs, that's an easy answer.  Gotta make sure you tie these future voters to the Democratic party as soon as possible.

I'm curious also how they hold jobs.  But when I read the headline I didn't realize they were talking about hotel employees and lifeguards for example.  I'm going to assume the plan involves working on getting to be legal faster also.

And I know there are no gop voters who have state jobs.  Ninja
[Image: giphy.gif]
Warning: Reading signatures may hurt your feelings.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2024, 12:51 PM)GMDino Wrote: I'm curious also how they hold jobs.  But when I read the headline I didn't realize they were talking about hotel employees and lifeguards for example.  I'm going to assume the plan involves working on getting to be legal faster also.

Which still doesn't answer the question of how someone here illegally can legally work.

Quote:And I know there are no gop voters who have state jobs.  Ninja

There'll be a lot fewer now.  Ninja

Reply/Quote
"For illegal immigrants to secure state jobs once they have work permits". So....... once they have documents.....and.......not "illegal" any longer? Don't see the problem.

While the CT Judicial Branch (my employer) doesn't deal with immigration issues, I do find it funny that a not-insignificant number of the employees of the contractors for maintenance and cleaning don't have documents. Talk about hiding in plain sight LOL.
Reply/Quote
So, the headline on this is highly inaccurate. The jobs are being opened to migrants, including asylum seekers, with work authorizations from the federal government. This is not something for undocumented or "illegal" immigrants. This is bad reporting.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2024, 12:42 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: If they are in the country illegally how can they legally hold a job?  As for prioritizing them for jobs, that's an easy answer.  Gotta make sure you tie these future voters to the Democratic party as soon as possible.

The article talks about "expedite the work permit process", but like you said, if they are here illegally, how is that possible?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2024, 01:22 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The article talks about "expedite the work permit process", but like you said, if they are here illegally, how is that possible?

I'm not entirely sure, but you're certainly not going to find the answers from your apparent preferred news source. 
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2024, 01:21 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: So, the headline on this is highly inaccurate. The jobs are being opened to migrants, including asylum seekers, with work authorizations from the federal government. This is not something for undocumented or "illegal" immigrants. This is bad reporting.

Well that clears up a lot then! 
[Image: giphy.gif]
Warning: Reading signatures may hurt your feelings.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2024, 01:22 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The article talks about "expedite the work permit process", but like you said, if they are here illegally, how is that possible?

It's not. The issue here is the conflation with asylum seekers and those crossing the border illegally. Much of what certain segments of our society are calling "illegals" are actually asylum seekers and not undocumented at all, but referring to them in this way doesn't result in the same fear mongering potential and could instead invoke sympathy for their plight, so that is not the way they refer to them.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2024, 01:21 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: So, the headline on this is highly inaccurate. The jobs are being opened to migrants, including asylum seekers, with work authorizations from the federal government. This is not something for undocumented or "illegal" immigrants. This is bad reporting.

Is this really a Federal thing?  The article and the tweet both only mention the NY Governor, NYC Mayor, Labor commission of NY State Senate, and the Civil Service Commission (which I am assuming they mean NY CSC, as they talk about State jobs, not Federal)

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2024, 01:23 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: I'm not entirely sure, but you're certainly not going to find the answers from your apparent preferred news source. 

To be clear, MSN is a news aggregator. The source is a news site called "State of the Union." I am trying to find out more about them, but there isn't much to see. They are a non-profit that is owned by a company called Media Verse LLC and operate, reportedly, entirely off of 3rd party ad revenue. The concern for me with that is that the business model is based on clicks, which means stories with inaccurate and inflammatory language like this is more likely to be the norm because of their revenue source.

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2024, 01:23 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: I'm not entirely sure, but you're certainly not going to find the answers from your apparent preferred news source. 

Hey, I just read what comes across the browser feed when I'm taking a mental break at work. That's why I posted here, to get knowledgeable feedback.  Cool

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2024, 01:30 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Is this really a Federal thing?  The article and the tweet both only mention the NY Governor, NYC Mayor, Labor commission of NY State Senate, and the Civil Service Commission (which I am assuming they mean NY CSC, as they talk about State jobs, not Federal)

In order for someone to hold a job and be paid officially they must hold a work authorization and be able to clear what is called an I-9. We deal with this at our university all the time. Whether they are working for a private company, a local or state government, or anyone else, they must be able to fill one of those out in order to legally work. The state government is beholden to that or else the feds could come knocking, and they would because contrary to popular belief, the current administration is actually upholding immigration laws. I know, because I see it all the time around here with an ICE office literally four blocks from my house.

Reply/Quote