Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
State of Tate - (Tate replaces Willis as Starter)
STATE OF TATE: Wide receiver Auden Tate had quite a first career start. He had a career-high and game-high 88 yards, but his hold on Darius Philips’ 92-yard kick return will get all the controversial ink.

“When you look at it, it’s going to be hard to see,” Bates said.

Taylor said the Bengals made the move of replacing Damion Willis with Tate and putting Tate at flanker and moving John Ross to X receiver during the week. Ross had a rough one. The NFL receiving yardage leader had his NFL-leading fifth drop and had a fumble before finishing with two catches for 22 yards.

https://www.bengals.com/news/quick-hits-fiery-taylor-asks-bengals-to-stay-connected
Reply/Quote
Tate also dropped 2 passes (and I am not talking about that last play). The whole point of Willis was supposedly hands, so instead we put in Tate....
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2019, 08:11 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: STATE OF TATE: Wide receiver Auden Tate had quite a first career start. He had a career-high and game-high 88 yards, but his hold on Darius Philips’ 92-yard kick return will get all the controversial ink.

Taylor said the Bengals made the move of replacing Damion Willis with Tate and putting Tate at flanker and moving John Ross to X receiver during the week. Ross had a rough one. The NFL receiving yardage leader had his NFL-leading fifth drop and had a fumble before finishing with two catches for 22 yards.

https://www.bengals.com/news/quick-hits-fiery-taylor-asks-bengals-to-stay-connected

Willis really gave them next to nothing the first two games, so I'm all for a switch.  At the same time, I think it's dumb to move Ross, who's really been the only bright spot among the skill position players this year.  Unfortunately, Tate is way too slow to play the X role, so Ross will be in that role as long as they have Tate in the lineup.  

Tate made some 1st downs out of check down throws in the 2 minute drill, but both his holding penalty and the game sealing Int bouncing off his hands were potentially the difference in a win or a loss.  

Sad to say, but it really looks like Boyd and Ross are the only healthy NFL caliber WR's we have.
Reply/Quote
I thought that Tate played a good game, for his 1st start. Sure, the holding penalty was a kick in the gut, but overall he did well.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
i can't help think of b. tate when a. tate catches the ball
Reply/Quote
Tate did well. The drop that led to the interception at the end sucked but I’ve been watching the games this year just to see the young guys. He looked like he had some promise, so I hope he stays in the lineup.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2019, 08:32 PM)Joelist Wrote: Tate also dropped 2 passes (and I am not talking about that last play). The whole point of Willis was supposedly hands, so instead we put in Tate....

It was just so refreshing that ZT started Willis...now Willis is yanked for Tate.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2019, 08:42 PM)Whatever Wrote: Willis really gave them next to nothing the first two games, so I'm all for a switch.  At the same time, I think it's dumb to move Ross, who's really been the only bright spot among the skill position players this year.  Unfortunately, Tate is way too slow to play the X role, so Ross will be in that role as long as they have Tate in the lineup.  

Tate made some 1st downs out of check down throws in the 2 minute drill, but both his holding penalty and the game sealing Int bouncing off his hands were potentially the difference in a win or a loss.  

Sad to say, but it really looks like Boyd and Ross are the only healthy NFL caliber WR's we have.

Agreed with that assessment. I doubt Erickson, Tate, and Willis would see many snaps on a really good team.

Ross should have NEVER been moved out of the role he was successful in. Not with how he's been a headcase. So now they put him in a new spot where he needs to think?
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2019, 09:16 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Agreed with that assessment. I doubt Erickson, Tate, and Willis would see many snaps on a really good team.

Ross should have NEVER been moved out of the role he was successful in. Not with how he's been a headcase. So now they put him in a new spot where he needs to think?

Never mind the head case portion, he just doesn't have the size to play split end.  He needs to be off the line so he can have a step or two to get accelerating without hands on him at the snap, rather than having to fight guys off to get up to speed. 
Reply/Quote
Tate was far from the reason why we lost.
That throw is on AD.
The holding call.ticky tack as heck
He's making great strides as a WR.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2019, 09:40 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Never mind the head case portion, he just doesn't have the size to play split end.  He needs to be off the line so he can have a step or two to get accelerating without hands on him at the snap, rather than having to fight guys off to get up to speed. 

Exactly. Ross's quickness is absolutely staggering. Even on that double move today, he hit the double move, stumbled and STILL had two/three steps on the defender. I've watched his routes a few times and he just breaks off so quickly. It's really impressive.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2019, 09:40 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Never mind the head case portion, he just doesn't have the size to play split end.  He needs to be off the line so he can have a step or two to get accelerating without hands on him at the snap, rather than having to fight guys off to get up to speed. 

You'd think our boy wonder offensive HC would know this...
Reply/Quote
Tate was far from the reason why we lost.
That throw is on AD.
The holding call.ticky tack as heck
He's making great strides as a WR.
Reply/Quote
If anyone saw the picture from Sam Greene on Twitter they would know that the last pass was thrown behind Tate and no one makes that catch outside of AJ maybe. Still was a great game from Tate. Remember when people were convinced they was NO WAY he was better than Core?
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2019, 08:11 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: STATE OF TATE: Wide receiver Auden Tate had quite a first career start. He had a career-high and game-high 88 yards, but his hold on Darius Philips’ 92-yard kick return will get all the controversial ink.

Considering it was Tate's first start, it wasn't bad. This was Ross' 17th start.

The special teams play doesn't reflect on Tate as a receiver, but it was a costly mistake. That TD may have produced a win or maybe not, but it was a let down.

Reply/Quote
(09-22-2019, 09:47 PM)Whodey614 Wrote: If anyone saw the picture from Sam Greene on Twitter they would know that the last pass was thrown behind Tate and no one makes that catch outside of AJ maybe. Still was a great game from Tate. Remember when people were convinced they was NO WAY he was better than Core?

Yeah those are the same ones that think Vigil is so great and use stats from the past to justify him
Tate is a better WR than Core.. 
The eye test proves it 
Core couldn't catch a cold in April if he tried 
6 for 89 in your 1st start is pretty good.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2019, 09:47 PM)Whodey614 Wrote: If anyone saw the picture from Sam Greene on Twitter they would know that the last pass was thrown behind Tate and no one makes that catch outside of AJ maybe. Still was a great game from Tate. Remember when people were convinced they was NO WAY he was better than Core?

Dalton admits it:

[b]From your perspective, what happened on the play at the end?[/b]

I’ve got to throw up a better ball. He’s just trying to make a play, he got a hand on it. When the ball gets tipped up in the air like that in the NFL, that ball gets picked.

[b]So that was on you, you think?[/b]
Yeah. I’ve got to throw a better ball. 
*Is there a timing or chemistry issue at all? You haven’t played with a lot of these people a lot. Does that play into it there? *

No. He ran a good route and the ball was behind him a little bit and for him he tried to make a play. I’ve got to throw a better ball there, we get the first down and get a shot at trying to score a touchdown there.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2019, 09:14 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It was just so refreshing that ZT started Willis...now Willis is yanked for Tate.

Marvin wouldn't even put Tate on the active roster.....

Speaking of Auden Tate, seems some might wanna step on up and eat some crow. 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-22-2019, 08:46 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I thought that Tate played a good game, for his 1st start.  Sure, the holding penalty was a kick in the gut, but overall he did well.

ultimately could be viewed as the difference in this game.  but I heard it was a phantom holding call by the radio guys so I don't know how much was him and how much was the refs again
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2019, 10:04 AM)Wyche Wrote: Marvin wouldn't even put Tate on the active roster.....

Speaking of Auden Tate, seems some might wanna step on up and eat some crow. 

Its not time to eat crow for tate yet...
Reply/Quote