Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
State of the Union
(01-29-2018, 11:31 PM)bfine32 Wrote: This is an issue to be sure. Many folks formed an opinion about 2 years ago and have not been swayed in the least regardless what reality points to. The guy just proposed a plan that would lead to 1.8 mil illegal immigrants earning citizenship and that does not matter. All that matters is that Pelosi said Trump just wants to Make America White Again. 

To actually look at and interpret what is going on requires too much effort. 

According to those that support the Left point of view, all of the "facts" allude to them being correct..

On a side note, I see that the House voted to make the memo public info today.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(01-29-2018, 07:26 PM)GMDino Wrote: So they're afraid to tell the truth because they know Trump is an uncivilized savage and will attack them.

Whereas Obama was a gentleman and allowed them to make fools of themselves.

Got it.

Na obama just came off like a beta.
Haven't seen one in like 12 years. Just a bunch of rambling nonsense.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(01-30-2018, 10:04 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Haven't seen one in like 12 years. Just a bunch of rambling nonsense.

That's the thing, the speech is pointless. I've heard people that have written past SOTUs say the speech is pointless. If the people that make their living writing speeches for politicians say the speech is pointless, then I would tend to agree. LOL
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(01-30-2018, 10:06 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: That's the thing, the speech is pointless. I've heard people that have written past SOTUs say the speech is pointless. If the people that make their living writing speeches for politicians say the speech is pointless, then I would tend to agree. LOL

But it gives a guy like Trump a chance to "prove" he is "presidential" by not actually crapping his pants and throwing it around the room.

Read a well prepared speech without your teeth falling out and all is well for a while.

And it rallies the base. It feeds what they want to hear, usually.

I just wonder what would happen if Trump heard a boo? Or anything evenly remotely derisive? Would he slip into campaign mode or remain "presidential"?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Word on the street is that there will be no new policy outlined in the SOTU. Interesting approach to it.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(01-30-2018, 10:20 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Word on the street is that there will be no new policy outlined in the SOTU. Interesting approach to it.

Well if they put any policy point into it it isn't it likely he'll refute it in a tweet within a week or so?

Better to let him stand there and brag it up about all "he has done" in his first year.
Meanwhile Trump fills his own coffers.

http://fortune.com/2018/01/30/state-of-the-union-live-stream-trump-donor/

Quote:The Trump campaign wants to put donor names in lights, so to speak.

In the latest reminder that it’s never too soon to start campaigning for reelection, President Donald Trump’s camp sent out a fundraising solicitation on Monday: pay at least $35 and your name will appear on the campaign’s livestream of the State of the Union address Tuesday night.

The solicitation reads: “This is a movement. It’s not about just one of us. It’s about ALL of us. Which is why your name deserves to be displayed during Tuesday night’s speech.” It invites donors to choose how much money to give—ranging from the minimum of $35, to a maximum of $2,700, which is the limit allowed per election.

The text message version of the solicitation adds another message: “Enough of the Fake News Media. It’s time for them to hear from the AMERICAN PEOPLE.”

View image on Twitter
[Image: DUvDRBcVMAAVfKG?format=jpg&name=small]

Quote:[/url]

[url=https://twitter.com/derekwillis/status/958074054208114688]

[Image: huaj6bJH_normal.jpg]Derek Willis

@derekwillis

Trump campaign’s livestream of State of the Union speech will display campaign donors’ names on screen.
3:27 PM - Jan 29, 2018

This isn’t the first time Trump has promised to put donor names on the big screen. During the GOP convention, Trump’s campaign had a “Your Name on a Jumbotron” offer for those who donated $50 or more.
(01-29-2018, 08:37 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Well, actual conservatives will cringe at it. Trump apologists will sit silently or applaud at the appropriate times. Trump supporters will get rock hard. There is a difference between these things.

As for the speech itself, eh, I haven't cared about any of them in the past, I won't care about this one.

I don't have a lot of contact with people with real conservative values, principles, and beliefs anymore. It seems to have been pretty well replaced by Trumpism. This board is a prime example of the way conservatives have moved....denouncing their classical value system in order to support the new movement. It seems much more common than those will object to Trump in order to maintain their principles.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

(01-30-2018, 12:19 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: I don't have a lot of contact with people with real conservative values, principles, and beliefs anymore. It seems to have been pretty well replaced by Trumpism. This board is a prime example of the way conservatives have moved....denouncing their classical value system in order to support the new movement. It seems much more common than those will object to Trump in order to maintain their principles.

While I see some of what you mention, there are some that maintain conservative values.

(01-30-2018, 10:17 AM)GMDino Wrote: But it gives a guy like Trump a chance to "prove" he is "presidential" by not actually crapping his pants and throwing it around the room.

And you wonder why your posts are considered on par with Lucie?
(01-30-2018, 12:23 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: And you wonder why your posts are considered on par with Lucie?*

*One person's opinion.

However (here's the bait SSF) do you not agree that the bar has been set much lower for Trump when he speaks?  That anytime he's not insulting people, or he completes a coherent sentence "some" people say he is acting more presidential?
(01-30-2018, 12:26 PM)GMDino Wrote: *One person's opinion.

Sadly, for you, this is absolutely not the case.

Quote:However (here's the bait SSF) do you not agree that the bar has been set much lower for Trump when he speaks?  That anytime he's not insulting people, or he completes a coherent sentence "some" people say he is acting more presidential?

In a way, sure.  If he's not insulting people, there are those who will say he's "more presidential".  I've never expected anything from Trump but Trump.  He's the same guy that we elected.
(01-30-2018, 12:28 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Sadly, for you, this is absolutely not the case.

And sadly for you and your "friends" I still don't care no matter how many times you want to try and say it. Smirk

(01-30-2018, 12:28 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: In a way, sure.  If he's not insulting people, there are those who will say he's "more presidential".  I've never expected anything from Trump but Trump.  He's the same guy that we elected.

So yes. I was right but you had to try and slander my post anyway.

Thanks!
[Image: 27540549_10155980224539463_7916693726632...e=5AEF4E1A]
(01-30-2018, 12:23 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: And you wonder why your posts are considered on par with Lucie?

He doesn't start 10 threads a day with every headline from the DailyKOS nor does he go on rants that end in everyone, liberal and conservative, groaning at the over the top bigotry. 

You guys need to simmer down the feud. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(01-30-2018, 12:29 PM)GMDino Wrote: And sadly for you and your "friends" I still don't care no matter how many times you want to try and say it.  Smirk 

Cool.

Quote:So yes.  I was right but you had to try and slander my post anyway.

Thanks!

No, your post was inane hyperbole, the exact kind of thing you taunted Lucie about when he engaged in it regarding Obama.  Hypocrisy is a stinky cologne.
(01-30-2018, 01:02 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: He doesn't start 10 threads a day with every headline from the DailyKOS nor does he go on rants that end in everyone, liberal and conservative, groaning at the over the top bigotry. 

You guys need to simmer down the feud. 

I'm trying to forward the conversation.  It gets difficult when someone insists they are "right" and others are "wrong" every time.  Every time.

But for it to be a feud I'd also have to care a lot more than I do.   Smirk
(01-30-2018, 01:16 PM)GMDino Wrote: I'm trying to forward the conversation.  It gets difficult when someone insists they are "right" and others are "wrong" every time.  Every time.

But for it to be a feud I'd also have to care a lot more than I do.   Smirk

Dude.  Don't plead your case to a ginger.  It's unmanly.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(01-30-2018, 03:30 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Dude.  Don't plead your case to a ginger.  It's unmanly.

Just trying to protect what is left of my dark soul.   Mellow