Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
State of the Union
The treason thing is obviously ridiculous as there is a very narrow definition for treason in the US. Aside from the fact that the assertion of not clapping could be treason even in a broad definition is ridiculous.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(02-07-2018, 12:34 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Did Trump say sure?

"They were like death and un-American,"  he said . "Somebody said 'treasonous'. I mean, eh. I guess, why not? Can we call that treason, why not? I mean they certainly didn't seem to love our country very much.”

So, no. But I don't think that matters much.
(02-07-2018, 12:34 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Did Trump say sure?

Apparently I misquoted it. "I guess, why not".  
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(02-07-2018, 12:31 PM)bfine32 Wrote: So if I say"why not", I am agreeing?

When used in such a context, "why not?" implies agreement or acquiescence. That would be the common usage. The only other usage I am aware of is asking for someone to expand on a negative answer, and that does not fit the context.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(02-07-2018, 03:22 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: When used in such a context, "why not?" implies agreement or acquiescence. That would be the common usage. The only other usage I am aware of is asking for someone to expand on a negative answer, and that does not fit the context.

Having to explain that is beyond silly.
So it seems, despite best efforts, we can all agree that Trump did not sat that not standing was treason. I think the best we can come up with is that he did not disagree when someone else suggested it.

Not that that difference will keep some from trying.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(02-07-2018, 03:34 PM)Benton Wrote: Having to explain that is beyond silly.

Well he didn't "have to"; he chose to. But being as you wish to chime in on things that are beyond silly. What is your opinion of those that stated Trump said not standing was Treason? 

(02-07-2018, 07:03 PM)bfine32 Wrote: So it seems, despite best efforts, we can all agree that Trump did not sat that not standing was treason. I think the best we can come up with is that he did not disagree when someone else suggested it.

Not that that difference will keep some from trying.

Nah, I for one don't let that one count. Trump brought up this "someone else" person all by himself - it's not like he was actually asked live by someone. It were his words and his choosing to use the "somebody said" approach to not really say the things he is saying by himself.

Or simplier put, there was no outside force whatsoever that brought up the necessity for him to talk about treason. He just chose to.
(02-07-2018, 07:24 PM)hollodero Wrote: Nah, I for one don't let that one count. Trump brought up this "someone else" person all by himself - it's not like he was actually asked live by someone. It were his words and his choosing to use the "somebody said" approach to not really say the things he is saying by himself.

Or simplier put, there was no outside force whatsoever that brought up the necessity for him to talk about treason. He just chose to.

If you watch the quote you see him point at the person that said Treason. So apparently "an outside force whatsoever" did bring it up. 

But as I said: That's not going to stop some.

(02-07-2018, 07:36 PM)bfine32 Wrote: If you watch the quote you see him point at the person that said Treason. So apparently "an outside force whatsoever" did bring it up. 

But as I said: That's not going to stop some.

Alright... now I watched that one again, and right he shortly points in the audience. Still I see no indication that his words were some kind of impromptu reaction to something someone else said. It was only his decision to address that in his speech the way he did.

And since it was his decision and his decision alone, I think it is completely fair to take issue with his choice of words.
(02-07-2018, 07:48 PM)hollodero Wrote: Alright... now I watched that one again, and right he shortly points in the audience. Still I see no indication that his words were some kind of impromptu reaction to something someone else said. It was only his decision to address that in his speech the way he did.

And since it was his decision and his decision alone, I think it is completely fair to take issue with his choice of words.

As I said: He didn't say it, but it won't keep some from suggesting he did even when presented with visual proof. 

I must say that I'm just surprised that you are one of them.

(02-07-2018, 07:17 PM)bfine32 Wrote:  What is your opinion of those that stated Trump said not standing was Treason? 

I'm sure they're great people. Why not?

Mellow
(02-07-2018, 08:17 PM)Benton Wrote: I'm sure they're great people. Why not?

Mellow

Great insight Donald. 

(02-07-2018, 07:52 PM)bfine32 Wrote: As I said: He didn't say it, but it won't keep some from suggesting he did even when presented with visual proof. 

I must say that I'm just surprised that you are one of them.

Yeah I just don't get the point really. He did say it. It was him mentioning treason (I did post his exact words), I do see him pointing somewhere, but I also have audio proof of him bringing it up in his speech. What matters if someone else brought it up first?

If I say "someone told me we should [...enter something nefarious...] and I thought, why not?", is that "someone" responsible for my words or is it still me?