Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Statement Game
(09-16-2016, 05:23 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Been a Dalton believer since the day he was drafted, not sure where I made it sound like I wasn't lol.

If you think he can prove a TON this weekend then I read that as you don't buy into him. I honestly don't see what he can do this weekend that he hasn't already proven to be capable of. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
This is an important game in that we might be out the playoffs if we don't win the division.

Teams in the AFC South & AFC West are going to make wildcard berths a headache this year, and that's not even accounting for Baltimore and New York (the latter looks like it could make one hell of a postseason run if everything falls into place)
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2016, 04:38 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Daltons already proven he can do it all. Only thing left for him to prove is in the playoffs. If you don't believe in him at this point then you never will.

Dalton has nothing more to prove. 

Nor do AJ, Geno and Whit.   But the rest of this team does.   They need to man up, play smart - and control their behavior.   I love what Hill is doing.  He's playing intense and dispensing with the silly stuff.  And I absolutely love Adam Jones and Burfict, but they need to keep a lid on the extra crap. 

The statement will be that they play kick a__ football without the stupid a__temper tantrums and dip wad antics.

These guys aren't playing back lot football. 

Time to be men instead of boys.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2016, 04:06 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Yes yes, its a statement game thread, there always has to be one!  ThumbsUp

To me, Dalton can prove a TON, with a huge game Sunday.

I know it's hard to imagine the Bengals winning by two scores, hell its hard to imagine them winning by more than 3 points. That being said, it would do wonders for Dalton and the Bengals image to get a BIG WIN over the Steelers. Sure, sure, a win is all I'm asking for, but just imagine for a second what would happen if we won say 35-17.

It has been SO long since the Bengals have beat the Steelers convincingly. A lot of people are putting the emphasis on our defense and "not making mistakes.", but to me, this game is way more about the offense taking command.

Speaking of making statements, how cool would it be for Tyler Boyd to just rip it up this Sunday. I think the kid will play huge on this stage. He wants to make an impression, and he wants to make it on Pittsburgh for not choosing him. I can only assume he was a huge Pittsburgh fan, hell, he probably was happy when we lost last year. Nothing like sticking it to them like having a huge day at their home stadium.

People used to give us no chance against the Steelers, slowly, we have convinced people that we can hang with them and that the games are always close. Now its time to take the next step and show that we are indeed the better team. A loss against Pittsburgh, and nobody will think anything of it, a regular hard nosed win, and we will have been "lucky".... a win by 14+ points would really shut everyone up.

21 years since the Bengals beat them by more than 10 pts. Sad

WAY overdue. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2016, 06:34 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: If you think he can prove a TON this weekend then I read that as you don't buy into him. I honestly don't see what he can do this weekend that he hasn't already proven to be capable of. 

I'm literally offended by this.

Do I have to go dig up posts from 2012 on my facebook? Been defending this guy tooth and nail with everyone from other teams fans, our own fans, hell even friends and family . Saying I don't buy into Dalton is just insulting.

That being said, he does have a TON to prove, not to me and you but to every other NFL fan and media pundit. Have you ever read what people say about our QB? He still has a lot to prove in the eyes of the average (albeit moronic) NFL fan. A lot of them think last year was some fluke.

On top of all that, Dalton is the franchise. He can help this FRANCHISE prove something. We haven't shown any pure dominance over Pittsburgh, maybe ever in my lifetime. Coming out and winning in a convincing fashion would prove a ton, regardless of what some people in this thread say.
Reply/Quote
I don't really think beating the Steelers in week two of the regular season by nearly any amount makes that big a statement for us.

1. We have a much better record there than we do here. 2. Like others have said, everybody will be like "well they didn't have Bell", it's early, etc. 3. It's not like we're a struggling team going 8 - 8 and just can't make the last step. We've been there and can't win in the post season.

Mark me down with the guys that say a post season win is the only statement game possible for this team now. We've done everything but !
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2016, 07:58 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I'm literally offended by this.

Do I have to go dig up posts from 2012 on my facebook? Been defending this guy tooth and nail with everyone from other teams fans, our own fans, hell even friends and family . Saying I don't buy into Dalton is just insulting.

That being said, he does have a TON to prove, not to me and you but to every other NFL fan and media pundit. Have you ever read what people say about our QB? He still has a lot to prove in the eyes of the average (albeit moronic) NFL fan. A lot of them think last year was some fluke.

On top of all that, Dalton is the franchise. He can help this FRANCHISE prove something. We haven't shown any pure dominance over Pittsburgh, maybe ever in my lifetime. Coming out and winning in a convincing fashion would prove a ton, regardless of what some people in this thread say.

Calm down there ace, maybe the way you wrote it just wasn't clear to me. It was one sentence in the OP and it sounded to me like you wanted him to prove something to you. You know, because it says "To me, Dalton can prove a TON..."

If you're really hoping they prove something to non fans of this team then don't hold your breath. They could go 16-0 and win my 40 points every single game and it wouldn't matter to most people. A super bowl win is the only thing that will prove anything to the media and outside fans. 
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2016, 08:13 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Calm down there ace, maybe the way you wrote it just wasn't clear to me. It was one sentence in the OP and it sounded to me like you wanted him to prove something to you. You know, because it says "To me, Dalton can prove a TON..."

If you're really hoping they prove something to non fans of this team then don't hold your breath. They could go 16-0 and win my 40 points every single game and it wouldn't matter to most people. A super bowl win is the only thing that will prove anything to the media and outside fans. 

There are fans that will stay silent as long as Andy is on target.  Why?  Because they'd rather be 'right' than have to admit they could have been wrong.  They will resurface, if and when, he has an off game, and IF the Bengals were to win a SB, with Dalton at the helm, they would NEVER admit to being wrong, it would be ..  "Yes, the Bengals won a SB in spite of Dalton!!!"

Pride can be a powerful thing and a huge nemesis for people.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2016, 07:59 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I don't really think beating the Steelers in week two of the regular season by nearly any amount makes that big a statement for us.

1. We have a much better record there than we do here. 2. Like others have said, everybody will be like "well they didn't have Bell", it's early, etc. 3. It's not like we're a struggling team going 8 - 8 and just can't make the last step. We've been there and can't win in the post season.

Mark me down with the guys that say a post season win is the only statement game possible for this team now. We've done everything but !

Correct. One win is not a statement. Sweeping the Steelers and winning in the playoffs is a statement. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2016, 05:13 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Meh...we beat them at home last year and look where it got us?

It's a big game because it's a division game and a rivalry, but a "statement" game?

What might the statement be?

Winning that game got us the division and into the playoffs. losing Dalton is what got us the lose in the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2016, 07:59 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I don't really think beating the Steelers in week two of the regular season by nearly any amount makes that big a statement for us.

I would have to disagree just on how last season ended with Pittsburgh.. if we go out play a overall hard fought but smart game and stay under control and win in their House with the amount of pressure and tension thrown on top,, i would say this is a statement game for those reasons.. besides, I want a bye in the playoffs, that is what we have been missing in this playoff run and i believe a bye puts us on the road to a playoff victory
Reply/Quote
Will be very happy with any win at catsup field.

But a statement win over those turds would be orgasmic.

Agree it will take more than one for statement, but it has to start with one.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Our statement games this year will come against Denver and New England. Pittsburgh can't hold a candle to either of those two teams.

Our biggest statement game won't come until January.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2016, 08:13 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Calm down there ace, maybe the way you wrote it just wasn't clear to me. It was one sentence in the OP and it sounded to me like you wanted him to prove something to you. You know, because it says "To me, Dalton can prove a TON..."

Don't expect people to stay calm when you falsely accuse them of things... twice.

Anyways, I don't buy into the whole "They could go 16-0 and win my 40 points every single game and it wouldn't matter to most people"

Look at the Arizona Cardinals. They looked great last year, went what 14-2? People are still swinging from their nuts. Dominant victories give you a lot more leverage with the media and outside fans. There isn't anything to really say one team (Bengals or Cardinals) is better than the other, they both failed in the playoffs, in fact, the Cardinals looked way worse in the playoffs. BUT, dominant victories by the Cardinals last year put them in super bowl predictions and given the benefit of the doubt.

Does any of this mean anything? No, not really, but that is the point. The NFL is somewhat a political game, and large statement victories give you more leeway with the viewers.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2016, 12:27 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Don't expect people to stay calm when you falsely accuse them of things... twice.

Anyways, I don't buy into the whole "They could go 16-0 and win my 40 points every single game and it wouldn't matter to most people"

Look at the Arizona Cardinals. They looked great last year, went what 14-2? People are still swinging from their nuts. Dominant victories give you a lot more leverage with the media and outside fans. There isn't anything to really say one team (Bengals or Cardinals) is better than the other, they both failed in the playoffs, in fact, the Cardinals looked way worse in the playoffs. BUT, dominant victories by the Cardinals last year put them in super bowl predictions and given the benefit of the doubt.

Does any of this mean anything? No, not really, but that is the point. The NFL is somewhat a political game, and large statement victories give you more leeway with the viewers.

Did you or did you not say that Dalton can prove a ton? Wasn't making anything up so I wasn't falsely accusing you of anything. All I did was respond to that. Wasn't accusing you of anything, just responding to what you wrote. Maybe it's not what you meant, but that's how I read it. Sorry if I misinterpreted your post, maybe try to be more clear in the future and not get your panties in a bunch so quickly  ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2016, 12:54 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Did you or did you not say that Dalton can prove a ton? Wasn't making anything up so I wasn't falsely accusing you of anything. All I did was respond to that. Wasn't accusing you of anything, just responding to what you wrote. Maybe it's not what you meant, but that's how I read it. Sorry if I misinterpreted your post, maybe try to be more clear in the future and not get your panties in a bunch so quickly  ThumbsUp

Oh I'm sooooo hurt Cry

"If you think he can prove a TON this weekend then I read that as you don't buy into him"

Sounds like an accusation to me.

It's cool though, keep trolling on and I'll keep defending my position. Smirk

How about the Arizona Cardinals thing? Or are you just too busy trying to get my panties in a bunch to contribute to the conversation. Your more concerned with this petty spat than the actual substance of the thread itself at this point.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2016, 03:47 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Oh I'm sooooo hurt Cry

"If you think he can prove a TON this weekend then I read that as you don't buy into him"

Sounds like an accusation to me.

It's cool though, keep trolling on and I'll keep defending my position. Smirk

How about the Arizona Cardinals thing? Or are you just too busy trying to get my panties in a bunch to contribute to the conversation. Your more concerned with this petty spat than the actual substance of the thread itself at this point.

Not an accusation just an observation from reading what you wrote lmao

And no it wouldn't be the same, nothing the bengals do in the regular season will matter because of the 5 straight playoff losses. Arizona wasn't coming off 5 years of one and done
Reply/Quote
As far as I'm concerned, the next opportunity we will have for a "statement game" will be the playoffs. We've already gotten all the other monkeys off our back. Scores of games don't matter. This isn't college football, where you rely on opinions to get to the playoffs. There is absolutely no difference in winning or losing by 1 or 30 in the NFL. The only thing a blowout does is enables the team to rest some players and allows me to relax a little bit during the game.
Reply/Quote
Is it playoff time already? How in the world can this be a statement game, when we are only 2 weeks into a season that was preceeded by multiple 1 and dones in the first round of the playoffs?
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2016, 04:19 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: And no it wouldn't be the same, nothing the bengals do in the regular season will matter because of the 5 straight playoff losses. Arizona wasn't coming off 5 years of one and done

The regular season definitely does matter, it builds confidence for the post season. You don't think the habitual regular season losses to Pitt played a role in the teams psychie going into that game? Of course it did, and beating the Steelers convincingly two times this season would definitely garner confidence heading into a third matchup (if there had to be one). Why be chippy when you have beaten a team convincingly twice? They would have all the reason to be chippy, not us. Not all NFL players are stonecold emotionless slaves, they ride the ups and downs of the regular season, hence the finish we had last year....

So in conclusion, what the Bengals do in the regular season does in fact matter because it has implications on how well the team plays in the post season. Buying into that "nothing matter" narrative only fuels the mental issues this team suffers from.
Reply/Quote