Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Statistics On Cops Killed By Race?
I was thinking about Kaepernick's protest and was wondering if it's one-sided, meaning do blacks kill more cops than whites?

Does anyone have those statistics?

Also, how does it calculate out when considering the population of both groups?

I tried looking it up twice but wasn't sure where or how to search.

Any help is very much appreciated.
(08-23-2017, 03:17 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I was thinking about Kaepernick's protest and was wondering if it's one-sided, meaning do blacks kill more cops than whites?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2015/01/09/are-black-or-white-offenders-more-likely-to-kill-police/?utm_term=.d9b6682fc64c
Quote:There were 511 officers killed in felonious incidents and 540 offenders from 2004 to 2013, according to FBI reports. Among the total offenders, 52 percent were white, and 43 percent were black.

From 1980 to 2013, there were 2,269 officers killed in felonious incidents, and 2,896 offenders. The racial breakdown of offenders over the 33-year period was on par with the 10-year period: 52 percent were white, and 41 percent were black.

Quote:The FBI began collecting the ethnicity of victims and offenders in 2011, and ethnicities from 2011 to 2013 are not yet reflected in this database. The FBI’s race categories are: white, black, Asian/Pacific Islander, American Indian/Alaska Native, Not Reported and Unknown. The FBI could not confirm whether Hispanic or Latino offenders were included in the count before 2011.
[Image: giphy.gif]
(08-23-2017, 05:22 PM)PhilHos Wrote: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2015/01/09/are-black-or-white-offenders-more-likely-to-kill-police/?utm_term=.d9b6682fc64c

Thanks. That's what I was looking for.

Seems like it's balanced until you consider that there are somewhere around 5 and a half more white people than black people.

I'd love a national platform to ask Kaepernick about those numbers and the role it plays in police being more likely to kill black people.
(08-23-2017, 05:59 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Thanks. That's what I was looking for.

Seems like it's balanced until you consider that there are somewhere around 5 and a half more white people than black people.

I'd love a national platform to ask Kaepernick about those numbers and the role it plays in police being more likely to kill black people.

Even that, though, is just a surface level look. To really dig into the numbers, you would have to look at the data on how many arrests, or some other measure, are made by police, and then look at the percentages of those based on race. Then, you would break down the rate with which those interactions result in a law enforcement fatality. So the percentage of cops killed by black people versus white may be disproportionate, it would be interesting to see how the proportions work when compared to the rate of interactions those members of the community have with police. That 43% of cops killed by black people may seem disproportionate based on overall population, but when you throw the additional independent variable of arrest rates in there it really muddies that water.

So what I'd really like to know is the rate that encounters with police result in a fatality of either the suspect or the officer, and that data broken down by race.
(08-23-2017, 06:49 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Even that, though, is just a surface level look. To really dig into the numbers, you would have to look at the data on how many arrests, or some other measure, are made by police, and then look at the percentages of those based on race. Then, you would break down the rate with which those interactions result in a law enforcement fatality. So the percentage of cops killed by black people versus white may be disproportionate, it would be interesting to see how the proportions work when compared to the rate of interactions those members of the community have with police. That 43% of cops killed by black people may seem disproportionate based on overall population, but when you throw the additional independent variable of arrest rates in there it really muddies that water.

So what I'd really like to know is the rate that encounters with police result in a fatality of either the suspect or the officer, and that data broken down by race.

So because they commit a disproportionate amount of crime, and thus have more interactions with police, you're going to claim the waters get "muddied" that 12% of the population is responsible for 43% of police murders?

....right. That sounds reasonable. Not their fault they kill so many police. It's the police's fault for arresting them for their crimes.   Ninja

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
(08-23-2017, 03:17 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I was thinking about Kaepernick's protest and was wondering if it's one-sided, meaning do blacks kill more cops than whites?

Kaepernick's protest seemed kinda ambiguous to me. I didn't pay it a lot of mind because I don't feel like he articulated it very well. That and the fact that not standing for the national anthem doesn't ruffle my feathers. On top of that, I don't care what Colin Kaepernick thinks about anything. I know he wore the pig socks one day, and his lady friend is part of BLM, but was the whole thing about cops shooting black folks? Was he claiming cops kill more blacks than whites. Or was he claiming that blacks were systemically oppressed in the US? Does anyone really know what he was getting at? Or did everyone just shout him down because he disrespected the flag?

I'm also not sure how the number of cops killed by whites vs the number of cops killed by blacks pertains to whatever his beef was/ is.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
(08-23-2017, 09:44 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: So because they commit a disproportionate amount of crime, and thus have more interactions with police, you're going to claim the waters get "muddied" that 12% of the population is responsible for 43% of police murders?

....right. That sounds reasonable. Not their fault they kill so many police. It's the police's fault for arresting them for their crimes.   Ninja

Higher rate of police interactions does not necessarily mean a higher crime rate. Just means they get caught more. Ninja
(08-23-2017, 06:49 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Even that, though, is just a surface level look. To really dig into the numbers, you would have to look at the data on how many arrests, or some other measure, are made by police, and then look at the percentages of those based on race. Then, you would break down the rate with which those interactions result in a law enforcement fatality. So the percentage of cops killed by black people versus white may be disproportionate, it would be interesting to see how the proportions work when compared to the rate of interactions those members of the community have with police. That 43% of cops killed by black people may seem disproportionate based on overall population, but when you throw the additional independent variable of arrest rates in there it really muddies that water.

You forgot to factor in that their ancestors were brought here as slaves.
(08-23-2017, 10:09 PM)jason Wrote: Kaepernick's protest seemed kinda ambiguous to me. I didn't pay it a lot of mind because I don't feel like he articulated it very well. That and the fact that not standing for the national anthem doesn't ruffle my feathers. On top of that, I don't care what Colin Kaepernick thinks about anything. I know he wore the pig socks one day, and his lady friend is part of BLM, but was the whole thing about cops shooting black folks? Was he claiming cops kill more blacks than whites. Or was he claiming that blacks were systemically oppressed in the US? Does anyone really know what he was getting at? Or did everyone just shout him down because he disrespected the flag?

I'm also not sure how the number of cops killed by whites vs the number of cops killed by blacks pertains to whatever his beef was/ is.

Because his protest was because "cops were killing blacks and getting paid leave," meaning that they were just killing black people unjustly and getting away with it, yet black people only kill 11% less cops when their population is only a fifth of what the white population is.

So they are killing cops at a much higher rate per number of people, and yet Kaepernick only focuses on one side of it (all of the other protestors, too).  
Statistical analysis is a *****. Especially when one has no basis point or understanding of 'statistical analysis'.

'"Black people" though.

Give me a break brad. I'll show my way out, but f
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/national/police-shootings-2017/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2016/07/11/arent-more-white-people-than-black-people-killed-by-police-yes-but-no/?utm_term=.035619cadacb

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-07-08/breakdown-us-citizens-killed-cops-2016
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(08-24-2017, 02:03 AM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Statistical analysis is a *****.   Especially when one has no basis point or understanding of 'statistical analysis'.  

'"Black people" though.  

Give me a break brad.  I'll show my way out, but f

[Image: ostrich+head+in+sand.gif]

Is a what?

Statistical analysis is utilized in many sectors from science, to marketing, to medicine, to traffic control... 

So what you're saying is the only ones that don't understand statistical analysis are the ones that found black people to be committing crime at a disproportionate rate? 
Please clarify.
This is mind boggling. Not the information, but the fact you are trying to back into justifying cops shooting black people by saying black people shoot cops.
(08-24-2017, 10:03 AM)Au165 Wrote: This is mind boggling. Not the information, but the fact you are trying to back into justifying cops shooting black people by saying black people shoot cops.

It's a real double edged sword here.

There are no good statistics kept nationally on gun violence OR when police kill suspects.  Add in a growing spread in the lack of trust between minorities and the police and every incident gets magnified.

Kaepernick was making a statement that we need to look at one side, which should have encouraged people to look at BOTH sides.  But since neither side could ever possible admit they might be on the wrong side he was attacked as "hating America" and "not respecting the troops" that died so he could say stupid stuff. 

And there's no doubt he took things too far (pig police socks) in some cases.  And for that he should be rightly bashed.  But as is typical once someone finds one thing they can keep beating the drum about that's all they will talk about and will ignore any of the other things.

Throw in he looks foreign and has a gf that follows Islam?  Perfect enemy for people to jump on rather than discuss the topic he was talking about.

Americans love their freedoms unless someone else uses one to complain about something in America that they don't care about or believe in.
(08-24-2017, 09:12 AM)Vlad Wrote: Is a what?

Statistical analysis is utilized in many sectors from science, to marketing, to medicine, to traffic control... 

No way dude!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(08-24-2017, 10:27 AM)GMDino Wrote: Throw in he looks foreign 

I was with you up until this point. He looks foreign? Who ever complained about his looks (aside from his fro, maybe) from the moment he first kneeled during the anthem? Let alone that he looks "foreign".
(08-24-2017, 12:27 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I was with you up until this point. He looks foreign? Who ever complained about his looks (aside from his fro, maybe) from the moment he first kneeled during the anthem? Let alone that he looks "foreign".

It was more a twitter thing and the good folks who comment on such stories on the Blaze and FOX News.
Dudes, you ever watch my favorite tv show "cops". 75% of the pend ople they stop are for having drugs on them, mostly blacks and poor white Drumph voters. Most have only a tiny bit of crack and a little pot. leave the blacks alone
and you won't have as much trouble.
(08-24-2017, 06:20 PM)ballsofsteel Wrote: Dudes, you ever watch my favorite tv show "cops". 75% of the pend ople they stop are for having drugs on them, mostly blacks and poor white Drumph voters. Most have only a tiny bit of crack and a little pot. leave the blacks alone

I wish that's what Kaepernick's protest was about.

#legalizeit...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
(08-24-2017, 06:20 PM)ballsofsteel Wrote: Dudes, you ever watch my favorite tv show "cops". 75% of the pend ople they stop are for having drugs on them, mostly blacks and poor white Drumph voters. Most have only a tiny bit of crack and a little pot. leave the blacks alone

Yes, ignoring any crime committed by an entire ethnicity sounds like a perfect way to handle it.

Just ignore the fact that 12% of the population commits...
49.4% of murder
32.5% of rape
54.9% of robbery
34.1% of assault
30.8% of burglary
29% of larceny
30.8% of vehicular theft
23.6% of arson
32.7% of forgery/counterfeiting
31.6% of fraud
33.2% of embezzlement
25.5% of vandalism
39.9% of carrying illegal weapons
42.8% of prostitution
31.2% of drug abuse
31.4% of criminal offenses against the family

...never mind that only one of those % on the list is less than 2x their population size. It's all the police's fault for just not leaving them alone. Rolleyes

(Source, FBI's 2012 numbers: https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2012/crime-in-the-u.s.-2012/tables/43tabledatadecoverviewpdf)

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]