Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Staying healthy and age
I have always said that injuries are random accidents, but even I admit that players who are older have more wear and tear.  They are more likely to get injuries or have problems with old injuries.  That being said here is a stat about our new O-linemen that a lot of people over look.

Out

Reiff.......34
Spain......31
Hopkins..30
AVG.......31.7

In

Collins....29
Karras.....29
Cappa.....27
AVG.......28.3

Over 3 year difference in average age.  That is a lot less milage.  More likely to stay healthy.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2022, 12:24 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I have always said that injuries are random accidents, but even I admit that players who are older have more wear and tear.  They are more likely to get injuries or have problems with old injuries.  That being said here is a stat about our new O-linemen that a lot of people over look.

Out

Reiff.......34
Spain......31
Hopkins..30
AVG.......31.7

In

Collins....30
Karras.....29
Cappa.....27
AVG.......28.7

A full 3 year difference in average age.  That is a lot less milage.  More likely to stay healthy.

I'm not sure what happened with Big Spain when he got injured, but Reiff broke his ankle and Hopkins tore his ACL. Those injuries can happen to 21 year old's as easily as they can 31 year old's. Overall though, you are right it helps to have younger players.
Reply/Quote
Liked Reiff but thought the knock on him already was that he could not stay healthy before arriving.

Of course he was already long in the tooth by the time he was a Bengal.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Yes and maybe the plan is to get even younger cause of this and is the reason we haven't brought Spain back.

We might be looking at OL early in this Draft contrary to some people's beliefs. How old is Tretter?
Reply/Quote
Hopkins likely did himself a disservice by coming back from the ACL too soon. Maybe he felt pressure because Joe was returning. But shoot, he was a month behind Joe and both returned for opening day. He clearly wasn't truly ready to play in September.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(04-21-2022, 04:10 PM)pally Wrote: Hopkins likely did himself a disservice by coming back from the ACL too soon.  Maybe he felt pressure because Joe was returning.  But shoot, he was a month behind Joe and both returned for opening day.  He clearly wasn't truly ready to play in September.

Exactly, plus it's one thing to be a QB, but it's a whole different animal being a lineman and having that kind of torque and strain placed on your knees every play.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2022, 04:10 PM)pally Wrote: Hopkins likely did himself a disservice by coming back from the ACL too soon.  Maybe he felt pressure because Joe was returning.  But shoot, he was a month behind Joe and both returned for opening day.  He clearly wasn't truly ready to play in September.

No doubt, I think that is dang near gospel, not just likely.

(04-21-2022, 04:13 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Exactly, plus it's one thing to be a QB, but it's a whole different animal being a lineman and having that kind of torque and strain placed on your knees every play.

Truth.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2022, 12:24 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I have always said that injuries are random accidents, but even I admit that players who are older have more wear and tear. They are more likely to get injuries or have problems with old injuries. That being said here is a stat about our new O-linemen that a lot of people over look.

Out

Reiff.......34
Spain......31
Hopkins..30
AVG.......31.7

In

Collins....30
Karras.....29
Cappa.....27
AVG.......28.7

A full 3 year difference in average age. That is a lot less milage. More likely to stay healthy.

This is good because the odds of staying healthy are definitely better for younger guys.
For example, 50 year old me sometimes injures himself getting out of bed while 25 year old me could play basketball all day, get little to no sleep that night and then feel fine the next morning.
So yes getting younger on the O line is a good thing.
Reply/Quote
Yeah, who knew younger players with less wear and tear are less likely to get injured? Tongue

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2022, 01:57 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yes and maybe the plan is to get even younger cause of this and is the reason we haven't brought Spain back.

We might be looking at OL early in this Draft contrary to some people's beliefs. How old is Tretter?

Tretter turned 31 in February.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2022, 12:24 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I have always said that injuries are random accidents, but even I admit that players who are older have more wear and tear.  They are more likely to get injuries or have problems with old injuries.  That being said here is a stat about our new O-linemen that a lot of people over look.

Out

Reiff.......34
Spain......31
Hopkins..30
AVG.......31.7

In

Collins....30
Karras.....29
Cappa.....27
AVG.......28.7

A full 3 year difference in average age.  That is a lot less milage.  More likely to stay healthy.

Collins is only 28.  He will be 29 once the season starts though
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2022, 08:38 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Yeah, who knew younger players with less wear and tear are less likely to get injured?   Tongue

Someone tell that to 21 year old Jackson Carman.   Ninja
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2022, 08:11 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Someone tell that to 21 year old Jackson Carman.   Ninja

Some people don’t realize how much stress is placed on the human body through an entire NFL season and through the playoffs,and into the Super Bowl.I noticed Quinton Spain’s level of play dropped off some in the playoffs and into the Super Bowl,for instance.

That’s another reason I really don’t like to see players brought in who have had major injuries,and or surgeries and getting up in their years.

Jackson Carman is young,but the back surgery issue is the main reason I was against the Bengals taking him.Most times with back surgery,the back is never quite the same.It’s a very difficult surgery.

Here’s to hoping the Bengals stay healthy and win the SUPER BOWL this upcoming season.
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2022, 11:04 AM)ezekiel23 Wrote: Some people don’t realize how much stress is placed on the human body through an entire NFL season and through the playoffs,and into the Super Bowl.I noticed Quinton Spain’s level of play dropped off some in the playoffs and into the Super Bowl,for instance.

That’s another reason I really don’t like to see players brought in who have had major injuries,and or surgeries and getting up in their years.

Jackson Carman is young,but the back surgery issue is the main reason I was against the Bengals taking him.Most times with back surgery,the back is never quite the same.It’s a very difficult surgery.

Here’s to hoping the Bengals stay healthy and win the SUPER BOWL this upcoming season.

I don't like back issues, either, but it isn't a death sentence.  Gronk fell in his draft due to back issues. 
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2022, 10:28 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Tretter turned 31 in February.

Thanks, a little old I guess in terms of an O-lineman. Maybe that is why we didn't already pick him up.

That or the medical staff, coaches and FO know more than we do about Carman's back and want him to start at LG.

(04-22-2022, 11:08 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I don't like back issues, either, but it isn't a death sentence.  Gronk fell in his draft due to back issues. 

Didn't know that. Sure hope Carman gets this injury behind him, he is really young so it is possible unlike if he was older.

I really like his upside if he can stay healthy. I think he could be a dominant run blocker and a good pass blocker at LG.

After all he was that at LT at Clemson against high quality Ends.
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2022, 05:23 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Didn't know that. Sure hope Carman gets this injury behind him, he is really young so it is possible unlike if he was older.

I really like his upside if he can stay healthy. I think he could be a dominant run blocker and a good pass blocker at LG.

After all he was that at LT at Clemson against high quality Ends.

Yep, Gronk was actually drafted in Round 2, Jimmy Graham went in Round 3, and the Bengals drafted....Jermaine Gresham in Round 1.  
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2022, 11:17 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Yep, Gronk was actually drafted in Round 2, Jimmy Graham went in Round 3, and the Bengals drafted....Jermaine Gresham in Round 1.  

Gresham had back problems too.
Reply/Quote
Isn't Collins 28?
Reply/Quote
fredtoast Wrote:Gresham had back problems too.

He did, but not when he was drafted. 
He was drafted in 2010, didn't develop a herniated disk until 2014.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2022, 10:31 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Collins is only 28.  He will be 29 once the season starts though

(04-25-2022, 11:45 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Isn't Collins 28?

Yes.  I was using age at season so he should be listed as 29 instead of 30.
Reply/Quote