Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Steal of the Free Agent class so far...."
ESPN says the acquisition of Geno Stone is the steal so far, taking him from a Division rival to fill a need when the draft class is weak and there might not be a safety taken until round 3.  Tiger
Reply/Quote
I would agree overall. Moss is a close second though - multiple teams were after him and what he does well fits our pin and pull scheme like a glove.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I mean, I have no use for ESPN, just thought it was interesting.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 01:23 PM)Sled21 Wrote: ESPN says the acquisition of Geno Stone is the steal so far, taking him from a Division rival to fill a need when the draft class is weak and there might not be a safety taken until round 3.  Tiger

I agree with Stone being a steal. If Bell took a league minimum also a steal and does not count against potential 2025 compensatory picks. 

It is great Carolina is paying Bell to play for us.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I would say Vonn Bell is the biggest steal. League minimum is amazing value for the year.

He solidifies the back unit's communication (along with Stone), solidifies our run D from our safeties, he just does so much for us back there.
Bell was a huge part of our last two playoff runs.

Nice to add both Bell and Stone to give us a lot of depth, experience, and talent back there.

Still need to add a couple corners (need to be able to tackle as well as cover), and obviously fill an enormous hole at NT.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 01:33 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I agree with Stone being a steal. If Bell took a league minimum also a steal and does not count against potential 2025 compensatory picks. 

Vonn Bell while hoisting the Lombardi in Feb 2025:  "And I'd like to thank the Carolina Panthers for not only allowing me to return to play with my Bengal brothers, but also for picking up the tab. You guys ROCK!"

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Stone I thought was the steal by far
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 01:44 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Vonn Bell while hoisting the Lombardi in Feb 2025:  "And I'd like to thank the Carolina Panthers for not only allowing me to return to play with my Bengal brothers, but also for picking up the tab. You guys ROCK!"

Love it and your optimism.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Wait........ We got Vonn Bell back?

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 01:43 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: I would say Vonn Bell is the biggest steal. League minimum is amazing value for the year.

He solidifies the back unit's communication (along with Stone), solidifies our run D from our safeties, he just does so much for us back there.
Bell was a huge part of our last two playoff runs.

Nice to add both Bell and Stone to give us a lot of depth, experience, and talent back there.

Still need to add a couple corners (need to be able to tackle as well as cover), and obviously fill an enormous hole at NT.

Perhaps they only included pending FAs not players who were released. If that were the case Russel Wilson would be the Steal of the Draft. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 01:50 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Perhaps they only included pending FAs not players who were released. If that were the case Russel Wilson would be the Steal of the Free Agency Period. 

I would definitely say Wilson would be the steal of FA if including all teams/players. 
Wilson was released to free agency, as was Vonn Bell.

I guess I read it as ESPN was saying Stone was the steal of FA for the Bengals. But re-reading it I think you're right. 
Glad to have both players, and the deals seem pretty good.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 01:50 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Perhaps they only included pending FAs not players who were released. If that were the case Russel Wilson would be the Steal of the Draft. 

Yes - the Steelers fell into it (so to speak)

Wilson will receive the veteran's minimum of $1.21 million while the Denver Broncos 

pay the remainder of his $39 million salary.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 01:33 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I agree with Stone being a steal. If Bell took a league minimum also a steal and does not count against potential 2025 compensatory picks. 

We've spent under 20 million this year for Gesicki, Vonn Bell, Rankins, and Geno Stone. Thats taking into account the money saved with the Nick Scott and Mixon cuts. That's pretty savy. Still work to do and money to spend, though. Finish the job, Duke. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 01:50 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Wait........ We got Vonn Bell back?

Yes sir Harley, you didn't know that yet? Got him for vet minimum while he gets paid for the most part by the Panthers.

I think Geno Stone and Vonn Bell together is the steal of the FA class so far. Stone now doesn't have to play in the box with both Battle 
and Bell to do that job and Geno can just focus on coverage and getting turnovers where he was elite last year.

Love Rankins as well who looks so athletic on film for a big man. This is what this Defense needed as far as the pass rush goes.
Reply/Quote
I have doubts about Stone just because of the 1 year wonder aspect of him. I love the upside, age, & being on the come-up... I just have to see it continue before I'm all hyped.

The steal for me....

Turning Joe Mixon's contract $ into Zack Moss + Giseiki + a 2024 7th pretty much crushes it, IMO.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 01:50 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Perhaps they only included pending FAs not players who were released. If that were the case Russel Wilson would be the Steal of the Draft. 

You're making a big assumption that Wilson is worth have a shyt any more.  His ego, deteriorating ability and horrid production at the end of his stint with the hawks and EVERY year in Denver, suggest otherwise.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 02:12 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yes sir Harley, you didn't know that yet? Got him for vet minimum while he gets paid for the most part by the Panthers.

I think Geno Stone and Vonn Bell together is the steal of the FA class so far. Stone now doesn't have to play in the box with both Battle 
and Bell to do that job and Geno can just focus on coverage and getting turnovers where he was elite last year.

Love Rankins as well who looks so athletic on film for a big man. This is what this Defense needed as far as the pass rush goes.

Awesome. I'm absolutely giddy right now.

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 01:29 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I mean, I have no use for ESPN, just thought it was interesting.

I don't either but Louis Riddick, imo, is THE best in the business. He is the smartest, the most articulate,  he cuts out all the BS and isn't self-promoting like most of those schmucks.
Reply/Quote
Von Bell. Bengals unexpectedly lost him last year when Panthers gave him a 3-year, 22-million-dollar contract. I think Lou and the Bengals were very surprised to see him go. And now he comes back and the Bengals only have to pay league minimum! The Panthers have to pay his $ 6-million-dollar-guaranteed salary? Talk about a steal. And Bell was a team captain while with the Bengals before.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 02:37 PM)higgy100 Wrote: I don't either but Louis Riddick, imo, is THE best in the business. He is the smartest, the most articulate,  he cuts out all the BS and isn't self-promoting like most of those schmucks.

I'm a fan as well. I always thought he'd make a good GM.
Reply/Quote