Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steelers Are Done! How Long Til Competitive Again?
I know I've predicted the Steelers being on the downfall before, but now it's looking obvious.

They have started 1-3 with Ben before and all three times, even though they didn't make the playoffs, they finished with decent records. This, however, looks different.

Ben can't fight off pass rushers, which a major strength for him was eluding the rush and fighting off sacks, and they're abusing him worse than he abuses college girls in barroom bathrooms.

Ju-Ju's contract will be up, as will several other players, and then a few other guys will be entering contract years, so will the players re-sign knowing the Steelers will be in rebuild mode and coming off a bad season?

I don't think Tomlin will be able to inspire players to play above their talent level and losing Ben means that the line will have to be completely rebuilt because a normal quarterback won't be able to survive behind them (they played better this week but I still think they looked pretty bad at times).

Will the Steelers be horrible next year?

How long before they're back in the playoffs?
Reply/Quote
right now most of their issues can probly be fixed with a young QB and an OC..... Deshaun Watson anyone? the steelers dont have an issue with QBs with those types of allegations.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2021, 09:08 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: right now most of their issues can probly be fixed with a young QB and an OC.....  Deshaun Watson anyone?  the steelers dont have an issue with QBs with those types of allegations.

The Steelers don't have the draft capitol to trade for Watson.  Whatever one thinks, the truth is that the if there was an actual provable crime here then there would already be a charge.  Thus once the law suits get cleaned up one way or another, a top 10 QB in the league in his prime will be available for trade, which never happens.  Watson will command the largest haul of picks and players since Hershel Walker was sent from Dallas to Minnesota, and Pitt just doesn't have the players or picks to put in a competitive bid.  It's likely there's only 3-5 teams that have resources to compete for DW.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2021, 09:04 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I know I've predicted the Steelers being on the downfall before, but now it's looking obvious.

They have started 1-3 with Ben before and all three times, even though they didn't make the playoffs, they finished with decent records.  This, however, looks different.

Ben can't fight off pass rushers, which a major strength for him was eluding the rush and fighting off sacks, and they're abusing him worse than he abuses college girls in barroom bathrooms.

Ju-Ju's contract will be up, as will several other players, and then a few other guys will be entering contract years, so will the players re-sign knowing the Steelers will be in rebuild mode and coming off a bad season?

I don't think Tomlin will be able to inspire players to play above their talent level and losing Ben means that the line will have to be completely rebuilt because a normal quarterback won't be able to survive behind them (they played better this week but I still think they looked pretty bad at times).

Will the Steelers be horrible next year?

How long before they're back in the playoffs?

As a Bengals fan I hate to say it but this is a gross overreaction.  With a healthy D they'er a good QB away from being right back in the mix.

If they bring in a guy like Rogers or Watson next season forget it.

I know someone already argued they can afford a trade for Watson but I wont count anything out right now.

Until then I'll just enjoy watching them be bottom feeders while it last.
Reply/Quote
Next year? Lord I hope not, but I have had a bad feeling the past couple of years watching Cincinnati Bearcat's QB Desmond Ridder that HE ends up in the Burg. Say it ain't so!
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2021, 04:12 PM)motoarch Wrote: As a Bengals fan I hate to say it but this is a gross overreaction.  With a healthy D they'er a good QB away from being right back in the mix.

I know someone already argued they can afford a trade for Watson but I wont count anything out right now.

Like I said, players at the end of their contracts and will they have enough money for Rodgers or Watson?

Rodgers will demand top five and Watson top ten.
Reply/Quote
Brad, respect for calling out your previous miscalculation on when the Steelers would begin to decline. Let's hope it's for real this time. That sack of shit Ben looks like a sloth out there.

The organization has a history of bouncing back, but I don't think you'll see that until they have their future franchise QB.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(10-05-2021, 04:12 PM)motoarch Wrote: As a Bengals fan I hate to say it but this is a gross overreaction.  With a healthy D they'er a good QB away from being right back in the mix.

Eh their O-Line is pretty suspect, too. The Steelers fans I talk to on the regular think it'll be a few years of drafting great to get them back to where they were. 

Fwiw; none of them have any interest in trading for a premier QB. They want the Steelers to do what they've always done and develop their own. I know that doesn't speak for all the Fandom and definitely not for management or ownership, but that's what I'm hearing from their fans.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2021, 08:48 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Eh their O-Line is pretty suspect, too. The Steelers fans I talk to on the regular think it'll be a few years of drafting great to get them back to where they were. 

Fwiw; none of them have any interest in trading for a premier QB. They want the Steelers to do what they've always done and develop their own. I know that doesn't speak for all the Fandom and definitely not for management or ownership, but that's what I'm hearing from their fans.

No one accused their fans of being smart.
Reply/Quote
Oh sweet summer child
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2021, 12:23 PM)Stewy Wrote: The Steelers don't have the draft capitol to trade for Watson.  Whatever one thinks, the truth is that the if there was an actual provable crime here then there would already be a charge.  Thus once the law suits get cleaned up one way or another, a top 10 QB in the league in his prime will be available for trade, which never happens.  Watson will command the largest haul of picks and players since Hershel Walker was sent from Dallas to Minnesota, and Pitt just doesn't have the players or picks to put in a competitive bid.  It's likely there's only 3-5 teams that have resources to compete for DW.

NFL radio analysts have said Watson may have played his last down in the NFL. In this "me too" era, a team would really have to be in dire straights to pick up the trash that would come with him. He may be Ray Riced out of the league.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2021, 06:00 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Like I said, players at the end of their contracts and will they have enough money for Rodgers or Watson?

Rodgers will demand top five and Watson top ten.

Rodgers to Pittsburg next year.

Book it.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2021, 08:49 AM)Sled21 Wrote: NFL radio analysts have said Watson may have played his last down in the NFL. In this "me too" era, a team would really have to be in dire straights to pick up the trash that would come with him. He may be Ray Riced out of the league.

Don't count on it.  He has talent.  He's a QB.  He's under control for 4 more years.  If the analysts you're listening too have said different then their either pandering or clueless.  The only way he's done is if he's convicted of felony rape, and that isn't happening.  Frankly, the national pundits don't know squat.  If you want real information and viable opinions then you need to read and listen to info. from the local media here in Houston.  These guys are not just local yahoo's but national renowned media guys.  Example - John Granato is known as the most key insider to the Texans in the country.  Lance Zierlein is known as one of the best draft gurus in the business.  He reports for NFL.com.

https://www.google.com/search?q=deshaun+watson+case+latest+sportsmap&safe=active&rlz=1C1GCEA_enUS930US930&biw=2560&bih=1495&ei=6ZldYf7sJcXk-gS73qyIBA&ved=0ahUKEwi-hZTu57XzAhVFsp4KHTsvC0E4ChDh1QMIDg&uact=5&oq=deshaun+watson+case+latest+sportsmap&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAMyBQghEKABMgUIIRCgATIFCCEQoAE6BwgAEEcQsAM6CAghEBYQHRAeOgcIIRAKEKABSgQIQRgAUO4yWJVKYM1WaAFwAngAgAF6iAGiCJIBAzMuN5gBAKABAcgBCMABAQ&sclient=gws-wiz

https://www.nfl.com/author/lance-zierlein-0ap3000000458453

No one knows the Texans like these two guys, so if you're looking for viable information, listen to them.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2021, 08:49 AM)Sled21 Wrote: NFL radio analysts have said Watson may have played his last down in the NFL. In this "me too" era, a team would really have to be in dire straights to pick up the trash that would come with him. He may be Ray Riced out of the league.

Tyreek Hill is still in the league and every time he takes the field people gush over how awesome he is.  And in my opinion he should be beaten to with in an inch of his life for what he did to his child... twice.  The guys an absolute piece of garbage.
Reply/Quote

True, it's hard to imagine anyone being able to get a job when over 20 women accuse you of sexual misconduct. 
Reply/Quote
Unfortunately for the Steelers, this year's QB class is almost the exact opposite as last year's.

Last year's class was an embarrassment of riches resulting in 5 QBs going in the top 15 and 4 of them starting within week 3 of their rookie seasons (Not that they've been good, but they are good enough to beat out your typical nameless veteran QB anyway)

This coming year's class is looking like just a plain embarrassment. Sam Howell and Spencer Rattler have struggled and, while he has put up gaudy stats against meager competition, Matt Corral had a strictly "meh" game against Alabama.

Malik Willis is looking electric, but he also plays for Liberty and who knows how much talent he actually has vs just beating up on weak competition. I imagine he'd be very raw and high risk/high reward coming out this year.

I also think it's worth noting that not a single top QB has prototypical NFL size this year. Howell, Willis, Rattler and Corrall are all 6'0" or 6'1" tops and many of them sit around 200 lbs. I know that players like Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray have shown that you don't need to be 6'4" to succeed in the NFL, but it is still a considerable weakness that you must overcome with scheming and mobility.

Drafting any of these guys should be viewed as a high risk endeavor that could lead to a 2 to 3 year rebuild; not something that the Steelers' defense would like to do given they are poised right now for the playoffs.

I think the Steelers may want to look at the free agent QB market if they want to take advantage of their defense right now, which is in win now mode. Aaron Rodgers will be available, as will Kirk Cousins, Jameis Winston and Teddy Bridgewater. If they want to win in the near future, that will probably be their best shot.

So, in summary, to answer the question in the OP, If they can nab a Cousins, Bridgewater or Rodgers, they could be competitive next year. If they look towards the draft for their new QB, probably 2023 or 2024 is the next time they have an opportunity to be competitive.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2021, 12:11 PM)Nately120 Wrote: True, it's hard to imagine anyone being able to get a job when over 20 women accuse you of sexual misconduct. 

Completely ignored my response to Sled didn't you?  Try the links above and try digging into the situation instead of listening national pundits who have no clue as to the details.

The lawyer for the Plantiffs is Tony Buzzbee is an ambulance chasing, glory seeking , money grubbing scumbag.  He's the worst of the worst when it comes to lawyers.  He's after glory, fame and money, and cares not at all about justice.  Am I saying that there's no truth to what went on with Mr. Massage?  No, it's pretty well accepted that Craigslist Massages for athlete's in Houston can come with extra paid benefits.  But what is also true is that these plantiff's are represented by someone who immediately brings their credibility into question.

Only a small handful of the Plaintiff's have even spoken to the police.  I wonder why?  Perhaps because lying to the police is a crime?  What's also interesting is that of the 5-6 that have spoken to the police 2 are actually NOT represented by Buzzbee, which is a real head scratcher.  I'd say the ones not represented by Buzzbee are the ones for Deshaun to really worrry about.

This will all go away with money or just go away.  If there was any evidence of wrong doing, there'd already be charges.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2021, 04:33 PM)Stewy Wrote: Completely ignored my response to Sled didn't you?  Try the links above and try digging into the situation instead of listening national pundits who have no clue as to the details.

The lawyer for the Plantiffs is Tony Buzzbee is an ambulance chasing, glory seeking , money grubbing scumbag.  He's the worst of the worst when it comes to lawyers.  He's after glory, fame and money, and cares not at all about justice.  Am I saying that there's no truth to what went on with Mr. Massage?  No, it's pretty well accepted that Craigslist Massages for athlete's in Houston can come with extra paid benefits.  But what is also true is that these plantiff's are represented by someone who immediately brings their credibility into question.

Only a small handful of the Plaintiff's have even spoken to the police.  I wonder why?  Perhaps because lying to the police is a crime?  What's also interesting is that of the 5-6 that have spoken to the police 2 are actually NOT represented by Buzzbee, which is a real head scratcher.  I'd say the ones not represented by Buzzbee are the ones for Deshaun to really worrry about.

This will all go away with money or just go away.  If there was any evidence of wrong doing, there'd already be charges.

I just said 20+ women are accusing him of sexual misconduct.  I didn't go beyond that.  
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2021, 06:31 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Brad, respect for calling out your previous miscalculation on when the Steelers would begin to decline. Let's hope it's for real this time. That sack of shit Ben looks like a sloth out there.

The organization has a history of bouncing back, but I don't think you'll see that until they have their future franchise QB.

They did have a history of bouncing back, but those were mostly in the days when defense still won championships.  They always had a dominating defense and then they'd sustain drives by running the ball, although they haven't been as successful in the run game in decent years, and from Ben extending plays.    

Ben would force teams to play their style of football because they could sustain drives with the run and by Ben alluding the rush and making difficult throws, two things he can't do anymore.

If Bell and Bryant were still there, I can possibly see another quarterback stepping in and being successful, but, with a horrible offensive line and weapons possibly moving on, I don't think it's nearly as simple as getting another franchise quarterback.

If Rodgers comes to Pitt, I can possibly see them being ok for maybe a year, but he'll also be 38 in December, so how much does he have left in the tank?
Reply/Quote
They were as bad last year...they just didn't have the injuries on defense and a soft schedule.

When they were 11-0 I was pointing out they had a lot of problems and they never addressed them...and still haven't.  The same issues with the offense, the O-line and the HC inability to coach beyond thinking the stars will bail out the game again continue.

That said it will be a couple years until they get a QB and offense that gels together...at least.  That will depend on the draft and coaching.

And I'll add that while the other three teams in the division are definitely on the rise the Ravens are a QB injury away from trying to win 9-7 games, the Bengals are still finding their way with the QB coming off that injury last year and the Browns are the Browns until the prove otherwise.

I enjoy a competitive division though so I hope they all continue to get better.  Being in a weak division would just lead to the Steelers thinking they could band aid the situation versus looking toward the future.

I don't relish the Steelers losing but real fans saw this coming and its not as devastating as it is to the Yinzers. 
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote