Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Steelers Are Falling Apart!
(01-04-2019, 05:47 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: Lol, Jesus Christ kid, what the **** do you know? Are you a Steelers fan? Do you live in Pittsburgh? Or are you a Bengal fan of who knows just a little bit about what was going on with a rival team? You have no clue as to what the talk was both nationally or locally whenever Holmes and then Wallace were let go. 

What I said WAS the talk when those guys left the Steelers. That's a FACT not an argument. 

And Wallace wasn't a star? Lol. The guy was a machine his first 3 years in Pittsburgh to the point that he signed a monster contract with the Dolphins ($30M guaranteed, more than AJ Green) and was the 4th highest paid player in 2014. His lowest ypc average in his first 3 years was higher that ABs highest ypc season. Just because he fell flat on his face when he didn't have a HOF QB throwing him the ball anymore doesn't mean that wasn't a star when he was here. 

So having a couple of good seasons with the Steelers makes you an automatic star? You learn something everyday no matter how delusional.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 06:06 PM)34inXXIII Wrote: AB seems to be trying to take the TO approach to the Hall of Fame moreso than the Jerry Rice approach.

I've got everything.  Watch me ruin it for no particular reason.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 05:49 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: Blasphemy.

And more so with Rice than Brown.

Shame on you. 

Have you no respect for an NFL legend? 

I DID have respect for Rice, although I always maintained that John Taylor never got his due.  However, then Rice admitted to using Stick Um and it suddenly became clear how he went from being a drop machine his rookie year to the best hands in the league in year 2.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 07:55 PM)cinci4life Wrote: So having a couple of good seasons with the Steelers makes you an automatic star? You learn something everyday no matter how delusional.

Star is a pretty current status in the NFL. Mahomes is a star and he has played one year.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 07:55 PM)cinci4life Wrote: So having a couple of good seasons with the Steelers makes you an automatic star? You learn something everyday no matter how delusional.
Rolleyes This is what happens when you think that you know more than you do about a team because they are division rivals and you rely on a stat sheet for your information and you think that actual facts are delusion.

Evidently the Miami Dolphins thought he was enough of a star that they gave him a blockbuster deal in 2013. Actually $27M guaranteed. But you're right, stars don't get such ridiculously large amounts of guaranteed money and contracts that make them the 4th highest paid player in the league.  

What if Mike Wallace had signed with the Patriots, Broncos, Sainits, or Packers and had Brady, Manning, Brees, or Rodgers throwing him the ball? What do you think would have become of his career then? 
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2019, 11:36 AM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: Rolleyes This is what happens when you think that you know more than you do about a team because they are division rivals and you rely on a stat sheet for your information and you think that actual facts are delusion.

Evidently the Miami Dolphins thought he was enough of a star that they gave him a blockbuster deal in 2013. Actually $27M guaranteed. But you're right, stars don't get such ridiculously large amounts of guaranteed money and contracts that make them the 4th highest paid player in the league.  

What if Mike Wallace had signed with the Patriots, Broncos, Sainits, or Packers and had Brady, Manning, Brees, or Rodgers throwing him the ball? What do you think would have become of his career then? 

One of the last things in the world I would ever willingly do is praise Ben.  But the simple truth is, Ben has made stars out of a lot of receivers.  Brown makes a lot of amazing catches.  But just about every one of them comes from an amazing pass Ben has fit into a tiny little window.

Wallace was definitely a star with the Steelers.  It was Ben who made him one.  And Sanders and JuJu and Heath Miller and all the rest.  It goes without saying that Ben is the engine.  Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go wash my mouth out with soap.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2019, 11:36 AM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: Rolleyes This is what happens when you think that you know more than you do about a team because they are division rivals and you rely on a stat sheet for your information and you think that actual facts are delusion.

He faded so fast after leaving Pittsburgh, and was kinda exposed, but he was a star in his day. It's hard to believe, but I do remember him "being better" than Emanuel Sanders and Antonio Brown at one time.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2019, 01:19 PM)McC Wrote: One of the last things in the world I would ever willingly do is praise Ben.  But the simple truth is, Ben has made stars out of a lot of receivers.  Brown makes a lot of amazing catches.  But just about every one of them comes from an amazing pass Ben has fit into a tiny little window.

Wallace was definitely a star with the Steelers.  It was Ben who made him one.  And Sanders and JuJu and Heath Miller and all the rest.  It goes without saying that Ben is the engine.  Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go wash my mouth out with soap.

Yep. None of us like him, but it's undeniable that Antonio Brown isn't the same player with Landry Jones or Mike Vick at QB. Not even close.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2019, 01:19 PM)McC Wrote: One of the last things in the world I would ever willingly do is praise Ben.  But the simple truth is, Ben has made stars out of a lot of receivers.  Brown makes a lot of amazing catches.  But just about every one of them comes from an amazing pass Ben has fit into a tiny little window.

I've had to begrudgingly admit that Brady is the GOAT so I know how you feel.
(01-05-2019, 01:24 PM)jason Wrote: He faded so fast after leaving Pittsburgh, and was kinda exposed, but he was a star in his day. It's hard to believe, but I do remember him "being better" than Emanuel Sanders and Antonio Brown at one time.
That's my point.
Sanders and Browns success was attributed to Wallace "taking the top off" of the defense and allowing them to work underneath, and it was doubted by many that Brown could do what he did without Wallace being around. We now know that to not be true.

But the biggest reason that Wallace was exposed is that HE didn't have the team or QB around him to succeed. What if he would have accepted the Steelers offer (he turned it down and they gave it to AB, a move that met with criticism) and Brown went to Miami? I could see Brown fading away while Wallace continued to put up big numbers here. 
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2019, 01:28 PM)jason Wrote: Yep. None of us like him, but it's undeniable that Antonio Brown isn't the same player with Landry Jones or Mike Vick at QB. Not even close.

That's a bit unfair as Jones and Vick could barely run a play for the Steelers. And the type of catches Brown consistently makes that separate him from basically every other receiver in the history of the NFL are throws those qbs could never make. At least have him play with an average qb to compare how he does away from Ben, but he has never had that chance.
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2019, 03:44 PM)6andcounting Wrote: That's a bit unfair as Jones and Vick could barely run a play for the Steelers. And the type of catches Brown consistently makes that separate him from basically every other receiver in the history of the NFL are throws those qbs could never make. At least have him play with an average qb to compare how he does away from Ben, but he has never had that chance.

Yeah I get it, but I don't know how much you saw of the bum we trotted out this year after Dalton went down. Sure some of us were proclaiming he should be our starter next year cause, you know, Jungle Noise, but he was flaming hot garbage. Tyler Boyd still managed to look like himself while Driskell was starting.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
The saga continues.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/05/report-ben-criticized-brown-in-meetings-wanted-him-off-the-practice-field/?sf205457646=1
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2019, 05:57 PM)cinci4life Wrote: The saga continues.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/05/report-ben-criticized-brown-in-meetings-wanted-him-off-the-practice-field/?sf205457646=1

And the hit just keep on coming

Popcorn
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2019, 05:57 PM)cinci4life Wrote: The saga continues.

Quote:Jones suggested that Brown doesn’t respect Roethlisberger enough to talk face-to-face with him about their issues.

“I do think it’s hard to sit down and have a conversation with a man you do not respect or trust,” Jones said.

Is there anyone on that team, or anywhere for that matter, that respects Ben enough to talk to him face-to-face about anything serious?

Quote:Jones did not name the people in the Steelers organization he’s spoken with, but they’re clearly people who want to get Brown’s side of the story out. However, even if Brown’s side of the story is accurate, it’s hard to defend Brown’s actions: Roethlisberger’s words wouldn’t justify Brown walking out on his team before the biggest game of the season.

Like I said, they're falling apart!  Their organization is a shitshow!
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2019, 11:37 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Now Brown wants to be traded!  Their line is dog shit and old, Ben's 36 and has taken a beating, and now the Killer Bees will be reduced to just the Killer Rapist!

Are Steelers fans getting worried yet?!

They have one of the top OLines in the NFL....
Other then that its nice to see them have some issues to contend with. 
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2019, 03:25 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: I've had to begrudgingly admit that Brady is the GOAT so I know how you feel.
That's my point.
Sanders and Browns success was attributed to Wallace "taking the top off" of the defense and allowing them to work underneath, and it was doubted by many that Brown could do what he did without Wallace being around. We now know that to not be true.

But the biggest reason that Wallace was exposed is that HE didn't have the team or QB around him to succeed. What if he would have accepted the Steelers offer (he turned it down and they gave it to AB, a move that met with criticism) and Brown went to Miami? I could see Brown fading away while Wallace continued to put up big numbers here. 

A lot of the success of the Steelers offense has proven out to be just having too many good players for other teams to match up, rather than one specific player.  They have a great QB, and they make sure to keep plenty of weapons around him.  Some guys, like Bell and Miller, would be good pretty much anywhere.  Others are more dependent on having other players around them, like Wallace and Bryant, although I also think Wallace got a little lazy after getting paid and Bryant became a train wreck.

Brown improved as he went along, but early in his career, he was basically made by rub routes, scramble drills, and deep crossing routes with Wallace drawing the safety.  He's become more complete and can separate without getting so much help now, but there's always been great pass catchers around him and he's not the same player without Ben.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2019, 08:17 PM)Whatever Wrote: A lot of the success of the Steelers offense has proven out to be just having too many good players for other teams to match up, rather than one specific player.  They have a great QB, and they make sure to keep plenty of weapons around him.  Some guys, like Bell and Miller, would be good pretty much anywhere.  Others are more dependent on having other players around them, like Wallace and Bryant, although I also think Wallace got a little lazy after getting paid and Bryant became a train wreck.

Brown improved as he went along, but early in his career, he was basically made by rub routes, scramble drills, and deep crossing routes with Wallace drawing the safety.  He's become more complete and can separate without getting so much help now, but there's always been great pass catchers around him and he's not the same player without Ben.

Brown's a great route runner and always found ways to be open.  Ben's scrambling and ability to extend plays definitely helped, but Brown always seemed to be open, even on normal drop backs where Ben didn't extend the play.
Reply/Quote