Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steelers GM Won't Commit To Bringing Ben Back
It looks like the Steelers are about to be done with Ben.

It's the elephant in the room and they're playing it like it's all a money move, which would sound smart so they don't seem like assholes for a guy that brought them so much success:

Quote:Ben Roethlisberger's future in Pittsburgh remains very much in doubt. Despite Roethlisberger's wiliness to adjust his salary, Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert did not express optimism when asked about his quarterback's status for the 2021 season.

Colbert, who drafted Roethlisberger with the 11th overall pick in the 2004 draft, said that the team is not currently negotiating with Roethlisberger, according to Steelers.com's Missi Matthews. Colbert added that Roethlisberger has met with him, coach Mike Tomlin and team president Art Rooney II. Instead of calming the waters as it relates to Roethlisberger's future, Colbert offered a grim yet transparent update in terms of where things currently are with Roethlisberger and the organization.

"With Ben's current cap number, some adjustments will have to be made," Colbert said, via Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "Hopefully there's a way we can figure out what's best for the organization. Hopefully he can see that and feel the same way. There's a lot of work to be done."

According to Spotrac, Roethlisberger has a base salary of $4,000,000 and a roster bonus of $15,000,000 in 2021, while carrying a cap hit of $41,250,000. As CBS Sports' Joel Corry noted last month, the Steelers compounded the Roethlisberger problem last March when they lowered his 2020 cap number from $33.5 million to $23.75 million by converting $19.5 million of his $21 million 2020 compensation into a signing bonus. Roethlisberger's 2021 cap number was raised by $9.75 million in the process.

"We've been, I think, up front with Ben in letting him know that we couldn't have him back under the current contract and so I think he understands we have some work to do there," Rooney II said last month, via Jim Wexell of Steel City Insider. "We'll have more conversations. We'll have more conversations internally. We'll have more conversations with Ben. Obviously we'll have to know what the cap number is at some point to finalize some of those decisions."

Like I said, they could be just using the money as an excuse because they're ready to move on and, since they also have other players entering the end of their contracts or appear to be leaving this offseason, they realize that they need to start rebuilding and starting over fresh:

Quote:Shorty after Rooney's quotes went public, Roethlisberger told The Athletic's Ed Bouchette that he would be willing to do whatever it takes from a contract standpoint in order to return in 2021.

"I want to do everything I can," Roethlisberger said, "and made that very clear to them from the very beginning that it was my idea to basically help the team however I can this year."

While Roethlisberger's contract is a legitimate concern, the elephant in the room is whether or not the Steelers are using Roethlisberger's contract as an excuse to part ways with the soon-to-be 39-year-old quarterback. While his 2020 season started successfully as the Steelers went 11-0, Roethlisberger's play faded during the final six games of the season. After throwing just four interceptions in Pittsburgh's first 10 games, Roethlisberger threw 10 interceptions during his final seven starts. His four interceptions largely contributed to the Steelers' wild-card playoff loss to the Browns.

Roethlisberger's regression was not entirely his fault. His receivers dropped a significant amount of passes during Pittsburgh's three-game losing streak following its 11-0 start. The Steelers' rushing attack failed to complement Roethlisberger and the passing attack, as Pittsburgh finished 32nd in rushing last season. Roethlisberger also played with an often predicable game plan that contributed to Randy Fichtner's contract not being renewed by the Steelers this offseason.

While Roethlisberger's overall body of work last season suggests that he can still play at a high level, his age, salary and the current state of the Steelers may result in the Steelers moving in a different direction at quarterback. The Steelers will go through somewhat of a transitional period in 2021. Maurkice Pouncey recently retired, and the team will likely lose other prevalent players like Alejandro Villanueva, JuJu Smith-Schuster, James Conner and Bud Dupree, among others.

I asked if Ben was done in another thread but this all seems pretty definitive that, at the very least, he's done in Pittsburgh.

Are Steelers fans ok with moving on?

Aside from football, do you have any emotional investment in him playing in Pittsburgh?
Reply/Quote
Here's what the Steelers have to figure out. With whatever moves they have to make, can they put a playoff level team on the field with 39 year old battered Big Jen ?

To me the answer is they're just delaying the inevitable bringing him back. They should go ahead and start the rebuild.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2021, 07:43 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: It looks like the Steelers are about to be done with Ben.  

It's the elephant in the room and they're playing it like it's all a money move, which would sound smart so they don't seem like assholes for a guy that brought them so much success:

Like I said, they could be just using the money as an excuse because they're ready to move on and, since they also have other players entering the end of their contracts or appear to be leaving this offseason, they realize that they need to start rebuilding and starting over fresh:

I asked if Ben was done in another thread but this all seems pretty definitive that, at the very least, he's done in Pittsburgh.  

Are Steelers fans ok with moving on?  

Aside from football, do you have any emotional investment in him playing in Pittsburgh?

Any sane fan is ok with moving on.  I've watched great players leave/retire for 40 years...it happens.

If he wants to move to another team and try to give it a go that's just the business of the game.  I would hate to see it as he has done a lot for the team and will always be a Steeler in my mind, but Rod Woodson won his only Super Bowl playing behind a guy who witnessed a double murder and then refused to testify and I still think of him as a Steeler.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
The problem right now is the cap hit. They have to eat a 22.5 million chub to let him go but if he stays his hit is massive at 41.25 million (per Spotrac). So either way they are hampered.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2021, 05:36 PM)Joelist Wrote: The problem right now is the cap hit. They have to eat a 22.5 million chub to let him go but if he stays his hit is massive at 41.25 million (per Spotrac). So either way they are hampered.

Yeah that's the rub.  The Steelers organization always had a rep for being "cheap" and if they cut him over money he was owed that is a bad look too.  It's why I never bought they "we're one big family" image.  It's a businesses no matter how nice everyone is to each other.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2021, 05:36 PM)Joelist Wrote: The problem right now is the cap hit. They have to eat a 22.5 million chub to let him go but if he stays his hit is massive at 41.25 million (per Spotrac). So either way they are hampered.

their own doing...  No QB should be paid more than the BEST qb still playing and it aint BEN
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2021, 03:31 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: their own doing...  No QB should be paid more than the BEST qb still playing and it aint BEN

Sounds like the the best QB needs a better agent.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2021, 03:31 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: their own doing...  No QB should be paid more than the BEST qb still playing and it aint BEN

Based on this list, I'm trying to figure out who you think is the best ... Rodgers? 
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2021, 04:05 PM)JS-Steelerfan Wrote: Based on this list, I'm trying to figure out who you think is the best ... Rodgers? 

Maybe a guy named Tom Brady, who happens to be the GOAT and just won the Super Bowl?
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2021, 04:41 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Maybe a guy named Tom Brady, who happens to be the GOAT and just won the Super Bowl?

Sure, if we're talking legacy.  I was thinking more of current level of play.  

And if winning a Super Bowl is not a very good determinant of a quarterback's ability, you'd have to say that Trent Dilfer was better than Dan Marino, Jim Kelly, and Ken Anderson.  
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2021, 08:43 AM)JS-Steelerfan Wrote: Sure, if we're talking legacy.  I was thinking more of current level of play.  

And if winning a Super Bowl is not a very good determinant of a quarterback's ability, you'd have to say that Trent Dilfer was better than Dan Marino, Jim Kelly, and Ken Anderson.  

That would be true in a vacuum, but considering that Tom Brady has won six other times, it just shows that he wins and that’s what matters.
Reply/Quote
I guess they are going to try and work something out.

[Image: 154292206_285898922898669_20099065034102...e=605DCB1F]
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2021, 01:03 PM)GMDino Wrote: I guess they are going to try and work something out.

[Image: 154292206_285898922898669_20099065034102...e=605DCB1F]

[Image: giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47u40723pz3mkoii2gyw...=giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
It makes a weird kind of sense. They do a new deal to drop his huge cap hit, he plays one more season while they draft the future QB and groom them.
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2021, 04:05 PM)JS-Steelerfan Wrote: Based on this list, I'm trying to figure out who you think is the best ... Rodgers? 

Dude its brady and it isnt close....
Reply/Quote

so they trade TJ Watt or Bud Dupree to us for our 1st pick and give us theirs so they can grab a QB?  Would you do it? 
Reply/Quote
Steelers sign Ben to a new contract...no announcement on details

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2021, 03:07 PM)pally Wrote: Steelers sign Ben to a new contract...no announcement on details

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=13592395]

Hopefully it's for big money to further cripple their chances for a successful 2021!
Reply/Quote

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2021, 03:07 PM)pally Wrote: Steelers sign Ben to a new contract...no announcement on details

The sad face emoji is conspicuous by it's absence in that tweet. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote