Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Injuries Galore!
Anyone see the Achilles tear that Watson suffered for the Ravens?

He was just coming off the line. No tackle, no contact at all.

These major injuries seem to be happening with little or no contact already this year.

Are these injuries that easy to occur, or is it a question of how stretched and in shape these guys are??
Reply/Quote
He's 35 so that also may play into it. Seems like all the Raven older players (Smith, Suggs) have torn their achilles

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Probably has more to do with equipment, age and fatigue. Players have gone with lightweight shoes that have less support. As you get older your flexibility diminishes, which is why it happens to older players more often. From training camp through the first month of practice players are extremely fatigued which can be a factor. Iit comes to basically the bad luck of putting pressure on the ligament at just the right(wrong) way and something has to give.
[Image: Defensewcm.gif]
Reply/Quote
Okay old timers, what happened in the old days 60s - 80s with torn Achilles and all the ACL and MCL tears?? Career ending injuries?? I'm an old timer but I just don't remember this happening as much as it does today.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2016, 07:35 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Okay old timers, what happened in the old days 60s - 80s with torn Achilles and all the ACL and MCL tears?? Career ending injuries?? I'm an old timer but I just don't remember this happening as much as it does today.

Those were career enders back then.. Ickey Woods, Bobby Tolan just to name a few.. They might have limped around the leagues awhile, but that's about it. It's still rare for players to recover 100%, but think about the old days..we didn't have a 24 hour news cycle and instant updates of every player in all the leagues. Back then serious injuries were pretty much it for players and they went on to have careers selling cars and beating their wives..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2016, 08:06 PM)grampahol Wrote: Those were career enders back then.. Ickey Woods, Bobby Tolan just to name a few.. They might have limped around the leagues awhile, but that's about it.  It's still rare for players to recover 100%, but think about the old days..we didn't have a 24 hour news cycle and instant updates of every player in all the leagues. Back then serious injuries were pretty much it for players and they went on to have careers selling cars and beating their wives..

For me, what would be interesting, is if there was a way to find out a percentage comparison.  What percentage of players were tearing those from 60s to 80s as opposed to those from 90s to present, but that's not a possibility.
Reply/Quote
Players are much bigger, across the board, these days than they were back then. Much more stress on ligaments and tendons now when you combine the size and strength with the speed of the game today. 

You can build muscle but you can't build ligaments and tendons. More speed and athleticism = more torque on joints.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote