Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steelers Likely To Take A Major Fall In 2021!
CBS Sports list the Steelers as 1 of 5 teams likely to take a major fall in 2021!

It's difficult to argue with their reasoning:

Quote:The Steelers started the season winning their first 11 games, then went on a free fall by losing four of their last five games entering the postseason. Then they were demolished in the wild card round by the Cleveland Browns, a team they beat 38-7 in Week 6. When Cleveland and the Baltimore Ravens thrived in December, Pittsburgh played its worst football as all its problems hidden during the perfect start came to life.

Pittsburgh couldn't run the ball effectively and its receivers dropped passes at an alarming rate. This was an issue all season, not just in December and January. The Steelers didn't even try to run the ball late last season, nor could they throw the ball deep because Ben Roethlisberger was 38 and coming off elbow surgery. Let's not forget Roethlisberger lost his mobility and is relegated to being a pocket quarterback. Roethlisberger is coming back at 39 and the Steelers still can't run the ball -- not to mention JuJu Smith-Schuster is likely leaving in free agency and Pittsburgh is a projected $30 million over the salary cap.

Roethlisberger has to restructure his contract and the Steelers have to find a way to improve this roster to give their franchise quarterback one last chance at a Super Bowl. Here's the problem: Baltimore and Cleveland are in the AFC North and only getting better and Pittsburgh plays a first-place schedule. The Steelers look destined for third in the AFC North and a rebuild starting in 2022.

I asked if Ben was done and it's looking more and more like he is. The reason that Ben was so good is that he could extend plays and launch the ball downfield, but now it's looking like he's too old and banged up to move that much and, even if he weren't, he's lost the ability to throw it downfield.

Do you agree that they'll struggle? Where are their areas of strength, if there are any?

I also love the way they already put us in last place! I hope we're active in free agency and have a nice draft so we can surprise the world!
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2021, 11:45 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: CBS Sports list the Steelers as 1 of 5 teams likely to take a major fall in 2021!

I asked if Ben was done and it's looking more and more like he is.  The reason that Ben was so good is that he could extend plays and launch the ball downfield, but now it's looking like he's too old and banged up to move that much and, even if he weren't, he's lost the ability to throw it downfield.  

Do you agree that they'll struggle?  Where are their areas of strength, if there are any?

I also love the way they already put us in last place!  I hope we're active in free agency and have a nice draft so we can surprise the world!

They already took a major fall at the end of the season.  I don't think they're headed for the basement, but they won't see the penthouse again any time soon.  
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2021, 09:05 AM)JS-Steelerfan Wrote: They already took a major fall at the end of the season.  I don't think they're headed for the basement, but they won't see the penthouse again any time soon.  

We've got that basement on lock til they send our coaching staff packing. The Steelers are probably waiting at the top of the steps though.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2021, 11:45 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: CBS Sports list the Steelers as 1 of 5 teams likely to take a major fall in 2021!

I asked if Ben was done and it's looking more and more like he is.  The reason that Ben was so good is that he could extend plays and launch the ball downfield, but now it's looking like he's too old and banged up to move that much and, even if he weren't, he's lost the ability to throw it downfield.  

Do you agree that they'll struggle?  Where are their areas of strength, if there are any?

I also love the way they already put us in last place!  I hope we're active in free agency and have a nice draft so we can surprise the world!

I wonder if there's a Playoff potential team that is just missing a decent QB that Roethlisberger may go to if Pittsburgh chooses to not keep him or if he decided he wanted one last run.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2021, 01:21 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: I wonder if there's a Playoff potential team that is just missing a decent QB that Roethlisberger may go to if Pittsburgh chooses to not keep him or if he decided he wanted one last run.

That would be something else but I just can't him leaving.  In the past maybe, but not right now with the current leadership structure.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2021, 01:08 PM)GMDino Wrote: That would be something else but I just can't him leaving.  In the past maybe, but not right now with the current leadership structure.

If feel like he could force himself out if he wanted to refuse a pay cut. Either get a ridiculous payday for the year or get to go to a contender.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2021, 03:24 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: If feel like he could force himself out if he wanted to refuse a pay cut. Either get a ridiculous payday for the year or get to go to a contender.

Anything is possible.  I'm just going with a guy feeling that the team wouldn't want to deal with the fans if that happens so they'll bend as much as they can to avoid that.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2021, 10:56 AM)GMDino Wrote: Anything is possible.  I'm just going with a guy feeling that the team wouldn't want to deal with the fans if that happens so they'll bend as much as they can to avoid that.

I always suspected you were the type that would like to feel a guy.  Cool

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2021, 09:05 AM)JS-Steelerfan Wrote: They already took a major fall at the end of the season.  I don't think they're headed for the basement, but they won't see the penthouse again any time soon.  

I have zero confidence in a Tomlin lead team winning a SB unless everything breaks perfectly, which is highly unlikely to ever happen.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2021, 05:40 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I have zero confidence in a Tomlin lead team winning a SB unless everything breaks perfectly, which is highly unlikely to ever happen.

A younger Ben would have had them a lot closer but the running game was still so bad that it would have probably been the downfall. 

I do like the last 5 words of your statement though.  Ninja

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2021, 05:43 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: A younger Ben would have had them a lot closer but the running game was still so bad that it would have probably been the downfall. 

I knew losing Munchak was going to hurt the O-line.  That guy is literally god when it comes to coaching up an O-line.  We should have broken the bank to keep him.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2021, 05:39 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I always suspected you were the type that would like to feel a guy.  Cool

Gotta say my typos have gotten more plentiful recently and my typing worse!

But kudos for the catch!  You must be quite the catcher. "Mellow"
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2021, 05:43 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: A younger Ben would have had them a lot closer but the running game was still so bad that it would have probably been the downfall. 

A younger Ben would be mired in civil litigation and increased tithes to cover the moral debauchery. Dude is a rapist. You cheered for him.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2021, 05:40 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I have zero confidence in a Tomlin lead team winning a SB unless everything breaks perfectly, which is highly unlikely to ever happen.

Yeah, I wasn’t even talking about that when I said ‘penthouse’.  I was talking about the division. 
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2021, 11:24 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: A younger Ben would be mired in civil litigation and increased tithes to cover the moral debauchery.   Dude is a rapist.  You cheered for him.

What the fu..........................................................................................................................................................................................

Reply/Quote

To be fair, though, this is pretty much true of any coach who doesn't have Tom Brady on the team.  
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2021, 05:50 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I knew losing Munchak was going to hurt the O-line.  That guy is literally god when it comes to coaching up an O-line.  We should have broken the bank to keep him.

I was thinking when did we have Munchak then I looked at your username.
Reply/Quote
I was surprised they did as well as they did in 2020.

But yeah, 2021 is shaping up to be rough for them. Ben isn't very good, but he's got a cap hit of like $20 million. Linemen retiring. Over the cap by a lot.

It's fire sale time.
Reply/Quote