Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steelers' Mike Mitchell fined $48K for late hit on Chiefs' Alex Smith
There you go...he's been fined. Likely he'll be suspended for the next one.

He has twice been fined before for the unnecessary roughness.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21077532/mike-mitchell-pittsburgh-steelers-fined-48k-hit-alex-smithabout:blank
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2017, 01:36 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: There you go...he's been fined. Likely he'll be suspended for the next one.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21077532/mike-mitchell-pittsburgh-steelers-fined-48k-hit-alex-smithabout:blank

Since I don't remember and need to head out soon, does anyone know how many times Burfict was fined before getting suspended for hits? I feel like he wasn't given three fines before being suspended, only just twice (The "lower body tap" and the ankle twist, neither of which was a hit to the head/neck).
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2017, 01:39 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Since I don't remember and need to head out soon, does anyone know how many times Burfict was fined before getting suspended for hits? I feel like he wasn't given three fines before being suspended, only just twice (The "lower body tap" and the ankle twist, neither of which was a hit to the head/neck).

Burfict was fined a lot of times before he was 1st suspended. He was fined basically 8 times before he was suspended.

Sept 2013 for hitting a Packers player in the crotch after a play - $10k. $21k for a hit on a defenseless James Jones in the same game.
Oct 2013 - Had 3 personal fouls. One resulted in a $7,875 fine for a facemask on running back Fred Jackson.
Later Oct 2013 - $21000 for spearing Jets WR Stephen Hill.
Oct 2014 - $25000 for twisting Cam Newton and Greg Olson's ankles after a tackle.
Dec 2015 - Fines for 3 separate plays from the Steelers Game totaling $69,454.[/font][/size][/color]

Then came the Playoff Game against the Steelers in January where Burfict hit Brown and was suspended for 3 games. From what I can tell, this was Burfict's 1st Suspension.

October 2016 - fined $75000 for stomping NE RB LaGarrette Blount.
November 2016 - Fine $12,154 for flipping off fans against the Bills.
Reply/Quote
I have a whole folder of gifs that says he's just as bad as Burfict if not worse.

Reply/Quote
(10-19-2017, 01:36 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: There you go...he's been fined. Likely he'll be suspended for the next one.

And yet no punishment for the Charcandrick West head spear... Having two dirty hits in one game should be enough for at least a 3 game suspension, notwithstanding Mitchell's checkered past.  IMO he should be suspended for the rest of the season.  How many people will Mitchell have to put into concussion protocol before the league comes down on him?
Well does he have a name or should I call him... lawyer?
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2017, 01:55 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: I have a whole folder of gifs that says he's just as bad as Burfict if not worse.

Mitchell has got to be worse. They caught him for the hit on Smith but what about the other two occasions he clearly had intent to injure?

Burfict nearly had a penalty-free 2016. And this is one of the rare occasions where Mitchell has been caught and punished for his cheap shot BS. There are plenty of occasions where he wasn't caught, penalized or fined. 
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2017, 01:52 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Burfict was fined a lot of times before he was 1st suspended. He was fined basically 8 times before he was suspended.

Sept 2013 for hitting a Packers player in the crotch after a play - $10k. $21k for a hit on a defenseless James Jones in the same game.
Oct 2013 - Had 3 personal fouls. One resulted in a $7,875 fine for a facemask on running back Fred Jackson.
Oct 2014 - $25000 for twisting Cam Newton and Greg Olson's ankles after a tackle.
Dec 2015 - Fines for 3 separate plays from the Steelers Game totaling $69,454.[/font][/size][/color]

Then came the Playoff Game against the Steelers in January where Burfict hit Brown and was suspended for 3 games. From what I can tell, this was Burfict's 1st Suspension.

Thanks.

I didn't remember some of these fines. But from what I take from this now is Mitchell might still have another couple strikes before he's suspended.
But that's sad given there are multiple occasions where he should have been flagged and fined but got nothing, so in the eyes of the NFL, he's only on his third offense.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-19-2017, 01:52 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Burfict was fined a lot of times before he was 1st suspended. He was fined basically 8 times before he was suspended.

That stomping Blount call was bogus. If they called all the unnecessary hits on Mitchell you would have had at least twice this long of a list.
Reply/Quote
Isn't the new rule now, that if a player is hit with 2 personal fouls, they get tossed out of the game?
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2017, 02:04 PM)InTheJungleNow9 Wrote: And yet no punishment for the Charcandrick West head spear... Having two dirty hits in one game should be enough for at least a 3 game suspension, notwithstanding Mitchell's checkered past.  IMO he should be suspended for the rest of the season.  How many people will Mitchell have to put into concussion protocol before the league comes down on him?

It seems to be a progressive scale where the discipline gets worse each time. As I've shown, Burfict was fined atleast 8 times before he was suspended.

This is Mitchell's 3rd fine.

The NFL seems more concerned with volume than severity of the incident.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2017, 02:17 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: That stomping Blount call was bogus. If they called all the unnecessary hits on Mitchell you would have had at least twice this long of a list.

Agreed. Mike Mitchell definitely has questionable hits.

Burfict has questionable hits and does other dirty stuff. He's earned his reputation and done it over multiple seasons.
Reply/Quote
He watched Smith throw the ball and then dove at his legs. That is dirty as **** no questions and should be a suspension.

But instead watch Burfict get suspended after the Steelers game while ol Mike gets away with at least one "questionable hit".

I almost want to put $ down on it.

Reply/Quote
(10-19-2017, 02:56 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It seems to be a progressive scale where the discipline gets worse each time. As I've shown, Burfict was fined atleast 8 times before he was suspended.

This is Mitchell's 3rd fine.

The NFL seems more concerned with volume than severity of the incident.

So what about Danny Trevathan?  I'm calling bullshit.  Mitchell should sit, period.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-19-2017, 03:26 PM)Wyche Wrote: So what about Danny Trevathan?  I'm calling bullshit.  Mitchell should sit, period.

The didn't even fine his hit on the RB that was as bad or worse about Trevathan's hit
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2017, 01:55 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: I have a whole folder of gifs that says he's just as bad as Burfict if not worse.

Yep, and many have sent them to the league, along with the 14 holding penalties that were not called last year.  And the league does....nothing.

Yet, KC sends a video to the league about a hit on their player in the preseason, and Burfict misses 3 games.  
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2017, 02:04 PM)InTheJungleNow9 Wrote: And yet no punishment for the Charcandrick West head spear... Having two dirty hits in one game should be enough for at least a 3 game suspension, notwithstanding Mitchell's checkered past.  IMO he should be suspended for the rest of the season.  How many people will Mitchell have to put into concussion protocol before the league comes down on him?

Tyler Eifert and Marvin Jones agree with this statement. 
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2017, 03:39 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: The didn't even fine his hit on the RB that was as bad or worse about Trevathan's hit

Exactly.....he has already said he will appeal the fine, which, judging from precedence (Muchack, Jerry Porter, et al from the 2015 playoff game), he will most likely have even that rescinded.  **** Roger Goddell.  I've about had my fill.  Shit like this is what I was talking about in the TV ratings thread.  People are sick and tired of double standards.  Ol Rog has the Rooneys' collective cods lodged square in his jaw.  What a piece of shit.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-19-2017, 03:46 PM)Wyche Wrote: Exactly.....he has already said he will appeal the fine, which, judging from precedence (Muchack, Jerry Porter, et al from the 2015 playoff game), he will most likely have even that rescinded.  **** Roger Goddell.  I've about had my fill.  Shit like this is what I was talking about in the TV ratings thread.  People are sick and tired of double standards.  Ol Rog has the Rooneys' collective cods lodged square in his jaw.  What a piece of shit.

This stuff is 100% more likely a cause than anything else. It always comes down to quality of product. This is exactly the problem. 
Reply/Quote

Looks like the NFL isn't totally biased.  Whatever

Seriously, though, I would've flipped if there'd been NO punishment. And, I think Mitchell needs to have a similar bullseye on his back that Burfict now 'enjoys'.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
I'm sure the NFL will set up a gofundme page for him...
Reply/Quote