Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Steelers, Ravens, and Browns are already taking steps backwards this off-season...
(01-31-2024, 03:54 PM)Nepa Wrote: Lou's problem this year was a bottom-of-the-pack defense. Early in the early, he was being pushed as a likely HC candidate. That disappeared from the conversation after the Bengals defense did so poor this year.

True, this year. But Ravens guy had 1 good year and got a HC job. Relatively unknown prior to that. Lou had back to back strong playoff defensive runs and didn't get a job.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2024, 04:53 PM)jj22 Wrote: True, this year. But Ravens guy had 1 good year and got a HC job. Relatively unknown prior to that. Lou had back to back strong playoff defensive runs and didn't get a job.

I know, but the Ravens had the top defense in the league this year, so he was the hot commodity. The Ravens defense was number one in points allowed, sacks, takeaways, and I think yards allowed per game. I don't know what Lou's defenses were the past few seasons, but nothing like the Ravens had. Macdonald interviewed with six teams for HC. He may have had more to work with than Lou ever had, but it was still pretty special getting the defense to perform to that level. They also did it in the playoffs, it's just the Ravens offense fell apart against KC.

But age could also be a factor. Lou may be running out of opportunities each year as he gets older.
Reply/Quote
Old friend Cali did us a favor

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/report-titans-to-hire-ravens-dbs-coach-dennard-wilson-as-defensive-coordinator

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2024, 03:52 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Arthur Smith as OC was good. He did a great job with Tennessee. That's the kind of offense pittsburgh should be running

(01-30-2024, 04:55 PM)jj22 Wrote: Steelers OC hire is legit. Titans played tough AFCN football with King Henry. I can see the fit.

(01-30-2024, 05:51 PM)NotBigzo Wrote: Arthur Smith wasn't great in Atlanta, but he was the perfect OC for Tennessee when they secured the number one seed. When I look at that Titans team and compare it to the Steelers, I see a lot of parallels. Sus QB, potential for a strong run game, and a stout defense. Arthur Smith might be the perfect fit for Pittsburgh and could be what they need get past their ills.

OC and HC have some overlap, but they are different enough jobs that it’s a dicey prospect to predict success (or failure) at the one by performance at the other.  
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2024, 03:33 PM)JS-Steelerfan Wrote: OC and HC have some overlap, but they are different enough jobs that it’s a dicey prospect to predict success (or failure) at the one by performance at the other.  

WYM? 

Arthur Smith's track record as an OC is well known. Judging from his tenure at Tennessee alone it's a good hire. 

Worse case scenarior her underutilizes George Pickens and runs him out of town....I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2024, 10:31 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: Do you know who hired Smith as an assistant when he was the Titans HC?
Mike Munchak

Not very long ago, the Steelers had a top 5 o line. Do you know who was the line coach who turned a sus unit around in the early 10s and turned them into a top 5?
Mike Munchak

Do you know who left Pittsburgh and went to Denver to be close to his family several years ago (and the Steelers line immediately turned to shit), has since retired, but now wants to return to coaching?
Mike Munchak 

https://steelersnow.com/ex-steelers-ol-coach-mike-munchak-considering-a-comeback/

Would it HAVE to be Pittsburgh though? 

If Munchak were to come to the Bengals, i'd give him enough of my hair to cover 10 of Reggie Nelson's dreadlocks.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2024, 05:16 PM)NotBigzo Wrote: WYM? 

Arthur Smith's track record as an OC is well known. Judging from his tenure at Tennessee alone it's a good hire. 

Worse case scenarior her underutilizes George Pickens and runs him out of town....I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing.

I think you misread my comment.  I was supporting the idea that it was a good hire: the OP assumed that it was a bad hire because Miller failed as HC.  Thus, my statement that it’s not necessarily reliable to “predict success (or failure) at the one (in this case OC) by performance at the other (HC).”
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2024, 05:19 PM)NotBigzo Wrote: Would it HAVE to be Pittsburgh though? 

If Munchak were to come to the Bengals, i'd give him enough of my hair to cover 10 of Reggie Nelson's dreadlocks.

IDK where he'd go, but there are ties to both Smith and the Steelers. 
Reply/Quote
Ravens are losing another defensive coach... this time it is DL coach Anthony Weaver who is heading to Miami to be a DC

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2024, 04:53 PM)jj22 Wrote: True, this year. But Ravens guy had 1 good year and got a HC job. Relatively unknown prior to that. Lou had back to back strong playoff defensive runs and didn't get a job.

McDonald didn't come out of nowhere.  He was the DC to the top-rated Michigan defense in 2022.  Before that he was LB coach for the Ravens.  And the NFL loves them some Ravens linebackers

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2024, 04:53 PM)jj22 Wrote: True, this year. But Ravens guy had 1 good year and got a HC job. Relatively unknown prior to that. Lou had back-to-back strong playoff defensive runs and didn't get a job.

The Ravens had the #3 defense in terms of PPG & #10 in ypg in 2022. He was a known name. 

For context, here is Lou's stats since taking over:

2019: #29 ypg, #25 ppg
2020: #26 ypg, #22 ppg
2021: #18 ypg, #17 ppg
2022: #16 ypg, #6 ppg
2023: #31 ypg, #21 ppg

When looking at his season-long defensive performances, you would probably have a stronger argument that he should be fired than he should be a HC

Over his tenure, on average over his 5 years, we have the #24 defense in ypg and 18th in PPG. 
Reply/Quote
I don’t understand how the Browns fired their OC? Lost Chubb early on, lost half of their line, pulled Flacco off the couch, and still made the playoffs. I understand their D was really good, but damn how do you fire the OC after surviving all that?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2024, 02:29 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I don’t understand how the Browns fired their OC? Lost Chubb early on, lost half of their line, pulled Flacco off the couch, and still made the playoffs. I understand their D was really good, but damn how do you fire the OC after surviving all that?

Because if it's brown, flush it down.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
This aged well. At least reading through the free agency thread.
Reply/Quote
The Stealers are doing good, the Stains have basically just traded for a bust head case WR and the Rats have lost four players including two starters each on defense and offense while adding a Derrick Henry with a LOT of wear on the treads.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 12:48 AM)Joelist Wrote: The Stealers are doing good, the Stains have basically just traded for a bust head case WR and the Rats have lost four players including two starters each on defense and offense while adding a Derrick Henry with a LOT of wear on the treads.

The only starter they lost is Queen. 
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 01:04 PM)Lucius Cincinnatus Wrote: The only starter they lost is Queen. 

Wrong. Gus Edwards starter, starting Guard, Stone was a starter too (played his way in). Defense has gotten worse offense it depends on replacing the Guard and what sort of treads Henry has left (he has a LOT of miles on him). 
Reply/Quote