Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steelers, Titans will be going after Kirkpatrick
(03-05-2017, 01:51 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I've said this before, but worth repeating...

It is funny how free agency works. A player's value is often determined by who else is a free agent the same year. Dre is a very good CB but this years free agent market is loaded with good young CBs. I just did a quick un-scientific google poll of 5 different sites that rated free agent CBs. Here is the general consensus. A.j. Bouye (26) is the clear #1 target. After that there is a group that includes Trumain Johnson (27), Malcolm Butler (27), Stephon Gilmore (26), Logan Ryan (26) and Mo Claiborne (27). Kirkpatrick (27) seems to be in a third tier that also includes Prince Amukamura (28), Deshawn Shead (29), and Captain Munnerlyn (29).

I think when it is all done Dre will be paid more like the guys in the second tier than the third. But I seriously doubt he comes close to the top 5 contracts for CBs this year. Teams looking to sign CBs are in good shape this year because there are a lot of good young guys that could hit the market, but it also drives down the contracts for all of the CBs. I am guessing Dre gets a deal that averages $10+million a year. And I think the Bengals need to pay him. But if just 2 or 3 of those other rop guys had re-signed and were not on the market Dre could be looking at close to $15 million a year. Teams overpay when talent is thin.
Dre might be slowly climbing up the top free agent DB list. Trumain Johnson got franchised tagged, Malcolm Butler is a restricted free agent who I believe New England will sign long term or at least match a teams offer sheet. I think teams will also value Dre's height at 6'2, plus desperate teams overpay for corner backs.  I'm torn with Dre because I think we might have to over pay to keep him.  He's a good #2 corner who's up and down at times.  If Pacman get suspended which I think he will and we lose Dre,we would be going into the season with Jackson III who's never played a snap in the NFl, Dennard who's struggled and Josh Shaw. If the team loses both Zeitler and Dre it will be interesting to see if they do anything in free agency.  It would be tough for the Bengals to justify losing both Zeitler and Dre, doing nothing in free agency and bringing back Marvin and Pacman on top of it all.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2017, 10:53 AM)lone bengal Wrote: Dre might be slowly climbing up the top free agent DB list. Trumain Johnson got franchised tagged, Malcolm Butler is a restricted free agent who I believe New England will sign long term or at least match a teams offer sheet. I think teams will also value Dre's height at 6'2, plus desperate teams overpay for corner backs.  I'm torn with Dre because I think we might have to over pay to keep him.  He's a good #2 corner who's up and down at times.  If Pacman get suspended which I think he will and we lose Dre,we would be going into the season with Jackson III who's never played a snap in the NFl, Dennard who's struggled and Josh Shaw. If the team loses both Zeitler and Dre it will be interesting to see if they do anything in free agency.  It would be tough for the Bengals to justify losing both Zeitler and Dre, doing nothing in free agency and bringing back Marvin and Pacman on top of it all.

That scenario could easily happen though.

The rumor is that the Bengals want Logan Ryan.

Because of all of the teams with cap space...there will definately be some guys who have inflated value. 
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2017, 10:59 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: That scenario could easily happen though.

The rumor is that the Bengals want Logan Ryan.

Because of all of the teams with cap space...there will definately be some guys who have inflated value. 

I haven't seen anything about the Bengals being interested in Logan Ryan. He is an upgrade over Kirkpatrick and will cost the Bengals more. I'd be happy with them signing him, but I just don't see them doing it when it would (probably) cost more money than Kirkpatrick.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'm telling you Mikey will let most or all FA's go. We are rebuilding. Notice crickets in the signing department so far this month.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2017, 11:24 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: I'm telling you Mikey will let most or all FA's go. 

You were saying "all" until recently.

Why you backing off that?
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2017, 11:01 AM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: I haven't seen anything about the Bengals being interested in Logan Ryan. He is an upgrade over Kirkpatrick and will cost the Bengals more. I'd be happy with them signing him, but I just don't see them doing it when it would (probably) cost more money than Kirkpatrick.

I can't see them singing Ryan it's not how the Bengals do business, plus they probably wouldn't  pay more for a similar corner over a guy that they've had  in their system for 5 years.  I'm from New England iv'e seen a good amount of Patriot games and I think Ryan is overrated. Ryan is a good player who's similar to Kirkpatrick. Their both taller number 2 corner's who are inconsistent at times.  Ryan is a great tackler but you pay cb's to cover.  Butler is the Patriots number one corner but at 5'9 Belichick typically likes to play Ryan against taller number one WR's with Mccourty over the top at saftey and Bulter in single coverage vs. their number 2. Ryan looks better than he is do to great coaching and scheme. Plus when a team wins the superbowl people tend to overrate role/ good players. 
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2017, 11:24 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: I'm telling you Mikey will let most or all FA's go. We are rebuilding. Notice crickets in the signing department so far this month.

Free agency hasn't started yet...
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2017, 12:25 PM)lone bengal Wrote: I can't see them singing Ryan it's not how the Bengals do business, plus they probably wouldn't  pay more for a similar corner over a guy that they've had  in their system for 5 years.  I'm from New England iv'e seen a good amount of Patriot games and I think Ryan is overrated. Ryan is a good player who's similar to Kirkpatrick. Their both taller number 2 corner's who are inconsistent at times.  Ryan is a great tackler but you pay cb's to cover.  Butler is the Patriots number one corner but at 5'9 Belichick typically likes to play Ryan against taller number one WR's with Mccourty over the top at saftey and Bulter in single coverage vs. their number 2. Ryan looks better than he is do to great coaching and scheme. Plus when a team wins the superbowl people tend to overrate role/ good players. 

IF Kirkpatrick leaves...I see them doing this:

There are A LOT of good CB's this year. They'll let the market settle for about a month or so and see who is still left then start negotiating with them to get someone for a good price.

It may end up being a guy like Ross Cockrell. Amakumara signed a 1 year deal with the Jags last year for like $5.5 million so there will be deals out there. Not every CB will get big money.

With that said...I think they will do everything they can to keep Kirkpatrick, but it's unpredictable as to which guys some NFL teams will make a huge offer too.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2017, 11:24 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: I'm telling you Mikey will let most or all FA's go. We are rebuilding. Notice crickets in the signing department so far this month.

FA doesn't open until 4:00 PM Thursday.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2017, 02:08 PM)JumboTron Wrote: FA doesn't open until 4:00 PM Thursday.

Is that one those Fact things...
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2017, 12:36 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Passing up the Saints entire draft, plus a other 1st round pick so that we could draft Akili Smith with the second overall pick is one of those moments you will only find the Mikey Brown world.

Yet another inexplicable low moment in Bengals history.

But makes perfect sense to someone who thinks Marvin should still be the coach after 7 consecutive playoff loses and usually two annual losses to Steelers for 15 years.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2017, 02:08 PM)JumboTron Wrote: FA doesn't open until 4:00 PM Thursday.

Well...for other teams' players. Can sign their own anytime they would like.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 01:37 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Well...for other teams' players. Can sign their own anytime they would like.

Yes, that period began at noon today, along with UFA being able to negotiate with other teams.

UFA from other teams are not allowed to sign until Thursday, 4:00 PM EST (the start of the new league year)
Reply/Quote
Goodbye Kirk, I hate this franchise
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote