Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Steelers Typical Dirty Play
(09-26-2018, 10:40 AM)Whatever Wrote: Your logic is still bad.  It's akin to saying "There's no way Billy stole the test answers because he got a 92% instead of 100%" or "Frank isn't an alcoholic because he forgot to buy beer on the way home yesterday." .The fact that they did not get preferential treatment on this specific play does not mean that they have never or will never again get preferential treatment.

Hmmmm. So what you're here saying is that whenever a call (or non call) goes against the Steelers, it doesn't mean that there is not a bias for the Steelers? Got it. Logically then, wouldn't the inverse be true? So that means that whenever a call (or non call) goes the Steelers way it isn't an indication of overall bias for the Steelers either.

I think you've accidentally stumbled on to something here ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2018, 08:55 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: Hmmmm. So what you're here saying is that whenever a call (or non call) goes against the Steelers, it doesn't mean that there is not a bias for the Steelers? Got it. Logically then, wouldn't the inverse be true? So that means that whenever a call (or non call) goes the Steelers way it isn't an indication of overall bias for the Steelers either.

Makes sense, but everyone will continue to see things from their teams' perspective. People like to eat the cake they have.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2018, 11:16 AM)JS-Steelerfan Wrote: Makes sense, but everyone will continue to see things from their teams' perspective.  People like to eat the cake they have.

Literally every message board out there is an exact replica of JN.  It truly is amazing.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2018, 11:16 AM)JS-Steelerfan Wrote: Makes sense, but everyone will continue to see things from their teams' perspective.  People like to eat the cake they have.

Well, you can have your cake and eat it too, but you can't eat your cake and have it too.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2018, 08:55 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: Hmmmm. So what you're here saying is that whenever a call (or non call) goes against the Steelers, it doesn't mean that there is not a bias for the Steelers? Got it. Logically then, wouldn't the inverse be true? So that means that whenever a call (or non call) goes the Steelers way it isn't an indication of overall bias for the Steelers either.

Certainly it is not necessarily league bias whenever a call goes the Steelers way.  However, in the Bengals-Steelers rivalry, there have been several high profile calls that went the Steelers way on the field that the league had to later admit they got wrong.  There was also the disproportionate suspension of Vontaze Burfict for a hit to the head of Antonio Brown when Steelers SS Mike Mitchell injured Marvin Jones and Tyler Eifert with illegal helmet to helmet hits in the previous two meetings, as well as AJ Green the year prior without being suspended.  That combined with severe injuries inflicted on Keith Rivers and Kevin Huber on helmet to helmet hits earlier in the rivalry makes it appear that there's a double standard in play.  

Whether there's a grand conspiracy, a handful of biased officials, or just mere coincidence, there's really only one solution.  The refs need to make the correct calls on the field and Goodell needs to be consistent when he administers justice.  
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2018, 10:30 PM)Whatever Wrote: Certainly it is not necessarily league bias whenever a call goes the Steelers way.  However, in the Bengals-Steelers rivalry, there have been several high profile calls that went the Steelers way on the field that the league had to later admit they got wrong.  There was also the disproportionate suspension of Vontaze Burfict for a hit to the head of Antonio Brown when Steelers SS Mike Mitchell injured Marvin Jones and Tyler Eifert with illegal helmet to helmet hits in the previous two meetings, as well as AJ Green the year prior without being suspended.  That combined with severe injuries inflicted on Keith Rivers and Kevin Huber on helmet to helmet hits earlier in the rivalry makes it appear that there's a double standard in play.  

Whether there's a grand conspiracy, a handful of biased officials, or just mere coincidence, there's really only one solution.  The refs need to make the correct calls on the field and Goodell needs to be consistent when he administers justice.  

I think your case would be stronger if you documented the exact cases to which you refer to the league apologizing.

Also ... wasn't the disproportionality based on prior player history? And weren't the Rivers and Huber plays during a time when those things were less penalized in general?
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2018, 06:58 AM)JS-Steelerfan Wrote: I think your case would be stronger if you documented the exact cases to which you refer to the league apologizing.  

Also ... wasn't the disproportionality based on prior player history?  And weren't the Rivers and Huber plays during a time when those things were less penalized in general?

Burfict had more illegal hit/unsportsmanlike conduct fines to his name when he finally got suspended than Harrison had when he got suspended a game. I believe it was right around a dozen. The hit on Brown should have, at minimum, been the 2nd time he had been suspended. 
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2018, 06:58 AM)JS-Steelerfan Wrote: I think your case would be stronger if you documented the exact cases to which you refer to the league apologizing.  

Also ... wasn't the disproportionality based on prior player history?  And weren't the Rivers and Huber plays during a time when those things were less penalized in general?

You are right. The dirty plays the Steelers make( Gio- Shazer, Huber- POS LB ,Rivers- Ward, Anderson- Gary etc...are worthy of changing long standing rules. Think about that last sentence. What rule was changed because of any Bengals player?
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 10:27 AM)Catmandude123 Wrote: You are right. The dirty plays the Steelers make( Gio- Shazer, Huber- POS LB ,Rivers- Ward, Anderson- Gary etc...are worthy of changing long standing rules. Think about that last sentence. What rule was changed because of any Bengals player?

I was going to say Burfict because they have that two and out rule now.  But that's not even about him.

Maybe someday the Bengals will have a player that does something so well they have to change the rules to help the other teams?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 08:35 AM)6andcounting Wrote: Burfict had more illegal hit/unsportsmanlike conduct fines to his name when he finally got suspended than Harrison had when he got suspended a game. I believe it was right around a dozen. The hit on Brown should have, at minimum, been the 2nd time he had been suspended. 

Are you whining? It sounds like you're whining.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 08:35 AM)6andcounting Wrote: Burfict had more illegal hit/unsportsmanlike conduct fines to his name when he finally got suspended than Harrison had when he got suspended a game. I believe it was right around a dozen. The hit on Brown should have, at minimum, been the 2nd time he had been suspended. 

You know you only have two weeks to see Burfict and the revamped defense. Scared?????
Reply/Quote

The Martavis Bryant TD in the 2015 playoff game, the hit on Huber (it was not legal then....spearing never really has been Mellow ), are two off the top of my head.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 02:03 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Are you whining? It sounds like you're whining.

Can we get more of those free playoff wins for Burfict?
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 02:20 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: You know you only have two weeks to see Burfict and the revamped defense. Scared?????

Didn't he leave on a stretcher the last time he played us?
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 07:51 PM)6andcounting Wrote: Can we get more of those free playoff wins for Burfict?

Silly Steelers fan, your team isn’t making the playoffs.

Reply/Quote

The first major one is Huber's broken jaw and neck. That wasn't really a grey area call.  It was illegal to hit a defenseless player with the crown of the helmet in the head or neck and kickers and punters are always considered defenseless.  What's worse is that the NFL's explanation was literally that the refs forgot that the punter is defenseless by rule.  It's possible that they did forget, but when the other team scores a TD on play where one of your guys gets his neck broken on an illegal cheap shot, it's tough to swallow.

The other two come from that Wild Card body bag game.  Martavius Bryant's TD was ruled to be not a TD after the game and of course they admitted Joey Porter should have not been allowed on the field.

James Harrison was suspended after being fined 4 times for illegal hits.  It was that brutal hit on Colt McCoy that got him suspended.  This is just my opinion, but the reason he was suspended was the violence of the hit and the fact that McCoy going back into the game put a really bad light on the league's concussion protocols.  Burfict was fined 8 times before being suspended, but only 3 were for illegal hits.  He did have plenty of dirty post whistle incidents on his resume like bag tags and ankle twisting, which I'm certain played a factor.  I think that, again, in Burfict's case it was the violence of the hit combined with Brown's stature as a player and the fact that 3 of his previous fines were against the Steelers prompted the suspension.  

In my personal opinion, Burfict is a dirty player and deserved his suspension, however Mike Mitchell was a serial headhunter that skated by without discipline.  My issue was with the NFL scheduling the Steelers as a divisional opponent during that suspension and Burfict being turned into the total whipping boy for every dirty thing both teams have done during the rivalry.  I think that alleged league bias aside, it's much easier to paint it as one player being out of control rather than 2 teams being out of control.  The rivalry has been out of control since '05, although early on the Steelers did a good job of working that grey area of "dirty, but not illegal" with stuff like the Kimo and Rivers hits.  The Huber hit really seemed to set the Bengals off on a path of mutually assured destruction.  I understand that, to a point.  Your teammates keep getting blasted and injured, and the refs won't do anything about it, so it falls to the players to do something about it. 

I will also say that another reason Bengals fans feel there is a league bias is their enforcement of copyright laws on footage of incidents that document the Steelers cheap shots in the rivalry.  Numerous fans had compilation videos of of stuff like the Kimo, Rivers, and Huber hits taken down for copyright violations after the last Wild Card game.  One of the CincyJungle writers had the NFL force him to remove a Vine of LeGarrett Blount gouging Shawn Williams' eyes during a game in.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 07:52 PM)6andcounting Wrote: Didn't he leave on a stretcher the last time he played us?

After another of those Steelers patented cheap shots. Your guys like to sneak up on people and sucker punch them(Hines on Rivers , JU JU on Burfict,Garvin on Huber, Shazir on Gio etc... It's the Steeler way. But you are so proud of your cowards aren't you?
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 08:19 PM)Whatever Wrote: James Harrison was suspended after being fined 4 times for illegal hits.  It was that brutal hit on Colt McCoy that got him suspended.  This is just my opinion, but the reason he was suspended was the violence of the hit and the fact that McCoy going back into the game put a really bad light on the league's concussion protocols.  Burfict was fined 8 times before being suspended, but only 3 were for illegal hits.  He did have plenty of dirty post whistle incidents on his resume like bag tags and ankle twisting, which I'm certain played a factor.  I think that, again, in Burfict's case it was the violence of the hit combined with Brown's stature as a player and the fact that 3 of his previous fines were against the Steelers prompted the suspension.  
Classic Goodell move - base punishment player on how it shapes public perception and covering the leagues own disastrous mistakes. 
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 09:36 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: After another of those Steelers patented cheap shots. Your guys like to sneak up on people and sucker punch them(Hines on Rivers , JU JU on Burfict,Garvin on Huber, Shazir on Gio etc... It's the Steeler way. But you are so proud of your cowards aren't you?

I'm sneaking up on you right now
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2018, 07:51 PM)6andcounting Wrote: Can we get more of those free playoff wins for Burfict?

Nah, the guy that actually gave you the free playoff win plays for Denver now. Maybe if you make the playoffs sometime in the next few years, you'll play Denver and he can help you out again. 

Reply/Quote