Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'Steelers game about Bengals reconnecting with a fan base'
Interesting read from Paul Dehner, Jr. 

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2017/11/27/walkthru-steelers-game-bengals-reconnecting-fan-base/897961001/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
Reply/Quote
I think Dehner misses the point. He talks about vitriol in this city against the team. There is no vitriol against "the team", the vitriol is against the coaches, and the owner that hires them....... and maybe CO. Other than that, I think there is still support for this team.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2017, 01:47 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I think Dehner misses the point. He talks about vitriol in this city against the team. There is no vitriol against "the team", the vitriol is against the coaches, and the owner that hires them....... and maybe CO. Other than that, I think there is still support for this team.

While agree with you, there are some fans that think Dalton is the problem still.....
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2017, 01:47 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I think Dehner misses the point. He talks about vitriol in this city against the team. There is no vitriol against "the team", the vitriol is against the coaches, and the owner that hires them....... and maybe CO. Other than that, I think there is still support for this team.

Yeah...I think ownership has made far more mistakes than just keeping Marvin too long. But yeah you hit the target with your reply.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2017, 02:21 PM)sandwedge Wrote: While agree with you, there are some fans that think Dalton is the problem still.....

causal fans always blame the QB and can probly not name 5 starters  so their opinion is easy to dismiss lol...  
Reply/Quote

Agree,

I was a Bengal fan BMB, and hopefully I'll be a Bengal fan AMB. MB is where the real anger is aimed !

I don't think it's any stretch to say that most fans, myself included, genuinely fell sorry for the core of this team that's being wasted away under our current GM's saving money leadership.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
If the team would spend(in their case over-spend because it's Bengals)a few times in FA it would make a difference.

It would show that they understand the points of weakness, and want to address them quickly with the other pieces still intact.

Instead we hear crickets chirping during FA and they play "oh shit!" in the draft.

Problem is the Offensive line has had some gaps for some time, and they just want to let Alexander miraculously coach them or sign someone no one else wants.

Brown keeping players and coaches too long that have under-performed have really gotten under most fans' skin.

When they do have some good positional coaches like Zimmer they let them walk.

Lastly it's funny a media person is saying fans complain and nothing is good enough.

I'm pretty sure unbiased media outside of the Bengals confines slam the team/coaches/ownership as much as anyone.

Correct?!?
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2017, 02:21 PM)sandwedge Wrote: While agree with you, there are some fans that think Dalton is the problem still.....

QB is the easiest person to blame for the average fan who doesn't really see how poorly the organization is ran. Speaking for myself I love this team, i hate being let down by it on a consistent basis. I think im smart enough to know that we have talented players, but it seems like managing that talent and getting those players to perform their best week after week is where the fault lies. Marvin just seems disinterested in coaching this team, and i fear another undisciplined embarrassing performance is lined up for MNF.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2017, 12:49 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Interesting read from Paul Dehner, Jr. 

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2017/11/27/walkthru-steelers-game-bengals-reconnecting-fan-base/897961001/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I judge the fans based on the ones in the seats at PBS. I think he is spot on as far as the fans need a moment to trust this team again. We got to the point where the jungle was a feared place to play, fans were loud and proud again after decades of sitting on their hands and just waiting for bad things to happen. 

The fan base is now back to no confidence (even at home games). We need the electricity back at PBS, but this is 100% on the owner (failure to spend money on the right players whether keeping guys or a few free agents to prove committed to winning), the coaches who fail to figure out ways to create big plays on offense or defense early to get the crowd involved and stoked early in games and the players share as well, players are paid to make plays and simply they have failed miserably at home and in big games the past few years.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2017, 07:26 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: If the team would spend(in their case over-spend because it's Bengals)a few times in FA it would make a difference.

It would show that they understand the points of weakness, and want to address them quickly with the other pieces still intact.

Instead we hear crickets chirping during FA and they play "oh shit!" in the draft.

Problem is the Offensive line has had some gaps for some time, and they just want to let Alexander miraculously coach them or sign someone no one else wants.

Brown keeping players and coaches too long that have under-performed have really gotten under most fans' skin.

When they do have some good positional coaches like Zimmer they let them walk.

Lastly it's funny a media person is saying fans complain and nothing is good enough.

I'm pretty sure unbiased media outside of the Bengals confines slam the team/coaches/ownership as much as anyone.

Correct?!?

Yeah...the Bengals go further than not spending. They sell fans on the fact that signing free agents is risky and the draft is the way to go.

The draft is way more risky: I guarantee you that when they drafted Fisher and Ced that they thought that atleast 1 of them would turn out to be a good Tackle. I guarantee you that they thought that Ross would have receptions now.

Free agency isn't riskier. It's costlier...which is the part they don't like. And part of that is because they seem to refuse to waive guys.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2017, 06:49 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Agree,

I was a Bengal fan BMB, and hopefully I'll be a Bengal fan AMB. MB is where the real anger is aimed !

I don't think it's any stretch to say that most fans, myself included, genuinely fell sorry for the core of this team that's being wasted away under our current GM's saving money leadership.

Yeah, It is unfortunate that we have to have an owner who's soul way of making money is his NFL franchise. 

I know that does not translate in to Super Bowl wins merely on its own, but we have been so close so I cant help but think how much a smart FA signing might have helped us get over the hump.

That is why the fans get upset. I guarantee if they would have resigned Whitworth and Zeitler plus maybe tried to make a trade to just go for it, that the fans would have showed up in droves. 

The city is tired of the do nothing and hope that it works out approach.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2017, 01:38 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yeah...the Bengals go further than not spending. They sell fans on the fact that signing free agents is risky and the draft is the way to go.

The draft is way more risky: I guarantee you that when they drafted Fisher and Ced that they thought that atleast 1 of them would turn out to be a good Tackle. I guarantee you that they thought that Ross would have receptions now.

Free agency isn't riskier. It's costlier...which is the part they don't like. And part of that is because they seem to refuse to waive guys.

Agreed.

We as fans should give zero F***s about money spent.

Being in the NFL itself the team is pretty much guaranteed to create revenue.

The question is how much is enough to still be monetarily successful and field a Championship capable team?

What I say is true and not some fanspeak.  They will have to pay more than some other teams to draw even mid-tiered Free Agents.

If the ownership understands this and doesn't use "replace by draft" as the model for everything and "retain known lesser commodities(keep players/coaches to long)"then they might find success.

The above mentioned seems highly unlikely unless the change of hands in the FO does a complete 180 on previous tendencies.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
To me, this was Mike Brown's worst year as GM. You basically had the core for a playoff team. The holes were blatantly obvious and the owner didn't care enough to fill those obvious holes. Why should fans care if the damn owner doesn't care? I was gonna do the 2 hour drive Monday but decided against it. I usually made that drive for big games, we know how big games turn out. I'm guessing it'll be a 20 point beat down since it's prime time. Why drive 4 hours round trip to see that? Mr. Brown doesn't care and neither do I. I'll cheer if a miracle happens and they win but now I laugh when they lose instead of getting upset. Mike Brown made me that way!!!
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2017, 01:47 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: Yeah, It is unfortunate that we have to have an owner who's soul way of making money is his NFL franchise. 

I know that does not translate in to Super Bowl wins merely on its own, but we have been so close so I cant help but think how much a smart FA signing might have helped us get over the hump.

That is why the fans get upset. I guarantee if they would have resigned Whitworth and Zeitler plus maybe tried to make a trade to just go for it, that the fans would have showed up in droves. 

This has been my major gripe over the years. Most owners are not using the NFL to make money, they are using it for prestige and bragging rights. Basically winning a Super Bowl at all costs. The NFL needs to make some rule that says an owner must not make greater than 20% of his/her income from the team. Problem solved. It would never happen,but it would actually bring in owners who only care about winning.
Reply/Quote
If Andy can prove himself against the Steelers he may not need replaced..this game to me is a make it or break it for Andy and Marvin.
Tiger

2024 MOCK DRAFT (4 ROUND)

1ST ROUND-OT-JC LATHAM-ALABAMA
2ND ROUND-OG-COOPER BEEBE-KANSAS
3RD ROUND-DT-DEWAYNE CARTER-DUKE
3RD ROUND-WR-JACOB COWING-ARIZONA
4TH ROUND-CB-MIKE SAINRISTIL-MICHIGAN
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2017, 10:47 PM)Nati#1 Wrote: If Andy can prove himself against the Steelers he may not need replaced..this game to me is a make it or break it for Andy and Marvin.

As far as I can see;  Andy doesn't need to "prove" his worth to the team, he's well established.  Marvin, on the other hand, his time has long come to pass.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2017, 01:47 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: Yeah, It is unfortunate that we have to have an owner who's soul way of making money is his NFL franchise. 

When you say 'we have been so close' referring to a Super Bowl...Literally all but about 3-4 teams have won 5+ playoff games since we last won 1.

Making the playoffs is not some great achievement in the NFL. Winning a playoff game isn't some great achievement either. Basically all other teams do it except the Browns and Lions on the winning playoff games part.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2017, 01:53 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Agreed.

We as fans should give zero F***s about money spent.

Being in the NFL itself the team is pretty much guaranteed to create revenue.

The question is how much is enough to still be monetarily successful and field a Championship capable team?

What I say is true and not some fanspeak.  They will have to pay more than some other teams to draw even mid-tiered Free Agents.

If the ownership understands this and doesn't use "replace by draft" as the model for everything and "retain known lesser commodities(keep players/coaches to long)"then they might find success.

The above mentioned seems highly unlikely unless the change of hands in the FO does a complete 180 on previous tendencies.

Exactly. When I read interviews from MB and they're generally from several years ago...he talks about the Bengals as if they are some small market baseball team. Yeah in baseball there isn't revenue sharing. In the NFL there is.

Now teams like the Cowboys that have a recognizable brand do bring in more money...but with revenue sharing they should be ok to make a profit.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2017, 04:36 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: To me, this was Mike Brown's worst year as GM. You basically had the core for a playoff team. The holes were blatantly obvious and the owner didn't care enough to fill those obvious holes. Why should fans care if the damn owner doesn't care? I was gonna do the 2 hour drive Monday but decided against it. I usually made that drive for big games, we know how big games turn out. I'm guessing it'll be a 20 point beat down since it's prime time. Why drive 4 hours round trip to see that? Mr. Brown doesn't care and neither do I. I'll cheer if a miracle happens and they win but now I laugh when they lose instead of getting upset. Mike Brown made me that way!!!

Yeah...basically every owner wants to win a Super Bowl...but they all align their resources to varying degrees.

The AFC is epically weak this year too. We really had a good shot to win 10-11 games.
Reply/Quote