Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steelers loss among 5 worst offensive line performances we have seen in the PFF era
To read it all, please click the link below, but I'll post the parts that I thought were interesting here:

Andy needs AJ badly
With Zac Taylor calling the shots under the new regime, the Bengals run a hefty amount of 11 personnel (1 RB, 1 TE, 3 WR). In an offense like this, having a deep receiving unit is essential to passing success. Since Cincinnati’s best wideout, and arguably one of the best in the league, A.J. Green is out with an injury, Dalton was left with one of the most underrated wide receivers in the NFL in Tyler Boyd, John Ross and Auden Tate. Those last two are a key reason as to why the Bengals failed to score a touchdown against Pittsburgh in Week 4.

Nearly 90% of the Bengals’ plays were ran out of 11 personnel against the Steelers and they passed the ball on 71.9% of their total plays. Even with Boyd, who is one of the top contested-catch receivers in the league (caught five of eight contested so far), Dalton failed to push the ball downfield with having to rely on Tate and Ross. At the end of last night’s blowout, Tate registered a 62.9 receiving grade and a drop while Ross was marginally better with a 69.4 receiving grade, bringing his 2019 season receiving grade to 64.5. He may not have had a drop last night, but Ross’ hands are a liability. He has dropped 12 of his 49 catchable targets since 2017.

Steelers pass-rush ate like Kobayashi
As suspect as their offensive game plan was, head coach Mike Tomlin had their defense locked and loaded against the Bengals’ hellacious offensive line. Furthermore, they came out firing with blitzing on 45% of Dalton’s dropbacks and executing a stunt on 35%. These blitzes and stunts Tomlin and company had dialed up were magnificent, but even without them, this pass-rush had their way with the Bengals and recorded a pressure on 40% of their standard four-man pass-rushes.

Overall as a team, Pittsburgh generated 23 pressures and ended the game with a historic night for the franchise. Last night’s pass-rush showing they put on led to a team pass-rush grade of 90.6, which was the highest ever recorded in a game by Pittsburgh in the PFF era (since 2006 – second was 2018 Week 11 at Jacksonville, 83.6 grade). The Steelers’ pass-rush feasted, and it was by far the most they’ve beaten their opponent in the pass-rush.

Looking at their defensive front ahead of the game, one could have assumed this would occur with having two of the top interior defensive linemen in the game in Cameron Heyward and Stephon Tuitt and one of the rising stars at the edge position in T.J. Watt. This trio took the Bengals cookies and then some with combining for 16 pressures and each posting a win rate above 25% (Heyward had a 90.0 pass-rush grade and four pressures, Tuitt had an 84.7 pass-rush grade and six pressures and Watt had an 87.2 pass-rush grade and six pressures).

Cincinnati’s offensive line is really, really bad
Bengals fans, it’s okay. We will get through this section together. The Steelers’ pass-rush was successful because of their known skill, but also because of Cincinnati’s JV squad on the offensive line. Of the seven offensive linemen to register a snap against Pittsburgh, none cracked a pass-blocking grade above 54.0. From top to bottom, this line was just flat out horrific.

In all seriousness, this was among the five worst offensive line performances we have seen in the PFF era with their offensive linemen taking home a PFF pass-block grade of 21.4, the fourth-worst in a single game since 2006 (by far the worst by a Bengals team – next worst came 2017 Week 9 at Jacksonville at 33.7). No team lost more matchups in a single game in the PFF era than the Bengals did last night, and they also gave up a franchise-record amount of pressures.

Right tackle Bobby Hart finished the nightmare with a 24.1 pass-block grade and allowed seven total pressures (15.2% pressure rate). Right guard John Miller (30.1 pass-block grade) and left guard Michael Jordan (15.1 pass-block grade) were just as guilty as Hart was with those two combining for seven pressures allowed. Oh, and let’s not forget 2018 first-round pick Billy Price’s brief appearance where he allowed a sack on one of his four pass-block snaps.

To read it all, please click here:
https://www.pff.com/news/pro-key-takeaways-from-the-pittsburgh-steelers-blowout-27-3-victory-over-the-cincinnati-bengals
Reply/Quote
Not surprised having Hart and Smith out there as your starting Tackles is a major problem.
.Miller has been good for most of the season as well as Hopkins I wonder how much of there struggles was do to the fact that the Tackles are so bad.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2019, 03:37 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Not surprised having Hart and Smith out there as your starting Tackles is a major problem.
.Miller has been good for most of the season as well as Hopkins I wonder how much of there struggles was do to the fact that the Tackles are so bad.

I don't know...there was a lot of Hart love on this board over the past few weeks. About how Turner made him adequate and he was young and improving.
Reply/Quote
So there are 4 other performances that are close to that one?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Here are the season grades:

Hart 46.4. 3 penalties. 3 sacks allowed. And A LOT of pressures.
Jordan 35.5 - 2 penalties. 4 sacks allowed.
Hopkins 71.7 - 0 penalties. 2 sacks allowed.
Miller 56.3 - 0 penalties. 1 sack allowed.
Price 50.0 - 1 penalty. 1 sack allowed.
Smith 49.4 - 4 penalties. 3 sacks allowed.
John Jerry 64.2
Reply/Quote
Ced in Jacksonville has played 38 snaps and graded 62.7.
Reply/Quote
I pray to god every night that Jonah Williams will be a franchise LT and not another O-line bust.
Reply/Quote
Has any team ever drafted JUST offensive linemen and nobody else? Or just offensive linemen and line backers? 
Of course it may be beneficial to hire people who kind of know how to coach them correctly, but one fantasy at a time.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2019, 03:47 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Ced in Jacksonville has played 38 snaps and graded 62.7.

Wait what? Cedric Ogbuehi? Oh that’s rich; he’s totally coachable everyplace but here.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2019, 03:31 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: To read it all, please click the link below, but I'll post the parts that I thought were interesting here:

Andy needs AJ badly
With Zac Taylor calling the shots under the new regime, the Bengals run a hefty amount of 11 personnel (1 RB, 1 TE, 3 WR). In an offense like this, having a deep receiving unit is essential to passing success. Since Cincinnati’s best wideout, and arguably one of the best in the league, A.J. Green is out with an injury, Dalton was left with one of the most underrated wide receivers in the NFL in Tyler Boyd, John Ross and Auden Tate. Those last two are a key reason as to why the Bengals failed to score a touchdown against Pittsburgh in Week 4.

Nearly 90% of the Bengals’ plays were ran out of 11 personnel against the Steelers and they passed the ball on 71.9% of their total plays. Even with Boyd, who is one of the top contested-catch receivers in the league (caught five of eight contested so far), Dalton failed to push the ball downfield with having to rely on Tate and Ross. At the end of last night’s blowout, Tate registered a 62.9 receiving grade and a drop while Ross was marginally better with a 69.4 receiving grade, bringing his 2019 season receiving grade to 64.5. He may not have had a drop last night, but Ross’ hands are a liability. He has dropped 12 of his 49 catchable targets since 2017.

Steelers pass-rush ate like Kobayashi
As suspect as their offensive game plan was, head coach Mike Tomlin had their defense locked and loaded against the Bengals’ hellacious offensive line. Furthermore, they came out firing with blitzing on 45% of Dalton’s dropbacks and executing a stunt on 35%. These blitzes and stunts Tomlin and company had dialed up were magnificent, but even without them, this pass-rush had their way with the Bengals and recorded a pressure on 40% of their standard four-man pass-rushes.

Overall as a team, Pittsburgh generated 23 pressures and ended the game with a historic night for the franchise. Last night’s pass-rush showing they put on led to a team pass-rush grade of 90.6, which was the highest ever recorded in a game by Pittsburgh in the PFF era (since 2006 – second was 2018 Week 11 at Jacksonville, 83.6 grade). The Steelers’ pass-rush feasted, and it was by far the most they’ve beaten their opponent in the pass-rush.

Looking at their defensive front ahead of the game, one could have assumed this would occur with having two of the top interior defensive linemen in the game in Cameron Heyward and Stephon Tuitt and one of the rising stars at the edge position in T.J. Watt. This trio took the Bengals cookies and then some with combining for 16 pressures and each posting a win rate above 25% (Heyward had a 90.0 pass-rush grade and four pressures, Tuitt had an 84.7 pass-rush grade and six pressures and Watt had an 87.2 pass-rush grade and six pressures).

Cincinnati’s offensive line is really, really bad
Bengals fans, it’s okay. We will get through this section together. The Steelers’ pass-rush was successful because of their known skill, but also because of Cincinnati’s JV squad on the offensive line. Of the seven offensive linemen to register a snap against Pittsburgh, none cracked a pass-blocking grade above 54.0. From top to bottom, this line was just flat out horrific.

In all seriousness, this was among the five worst offensive line performances we have seen in the PFF era with their offensive linemen taking home a PFF pass-block grade of 21.4, the fourth-worst in a single game since 2006 (by far the worst by a Bengals team – next worst came 2017 Week 9 at Jacksonville at 33.7). No team lost more matchups in a single game in the PFF era than the Bengals did last night, and they also gave up a franchise-record amount of pressures.

Right tackle Bobby Hart finished the nightmare with a 24.1 pass-block grade and allowed seven total pressures (15.2% pressure rate). Right guard John Miller (30.1 pass-block grade) and left guard Michael Jordan (15.1 pass-block grade) were just as guilty as Hart was with those two combining for seven pressures allowed. Oh, and let’s not forget 2018 first-round pick Billy Price’s brief appearance where he allowed a sack on one of his four pass-block snaps.

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-key-takeaways-from-the-pittsburgh-steelers-blowout-27-3-victory-over-the-cincinnati-bengals

At this point I miss stacy Andrews.... (and I hated that guy)
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2019, 03:31 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Cincinnati’s offensive line is really, really bad

Y'all know my little speech about how useless PFF ratings are?

[Image: maybe-tomorrow-not-today-meme.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Booby Hart, the $5M man!!

What a dark comedy this front office is
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
Thank God they got Bobby Hart back.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
I think Jim Turner has to be fired this week.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
wait guys hope is on the way... Redmon just got off suspension....

While we thought he was bad that was before we saw his replacement
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2019, 05:51 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: wait guys hope is on the way... Redmon just got off suspension....

While we thought he was bad that was before we saw his replacement

With the way this team plays, I may just need his help in an alley fight before the end of the season!
Reply/Quote
Redmond becomes our best OL. Oh the humanity.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
Unless a miracle happens which it won't - AJ really has no businesses suiting up for the Bengals ever again. He was still hobbling pretty bad last night so even if we were contenders (lol just typing that), week 8 at best on a still tender ankle.

Now, we simply cannot afford the luxury of AJ Green because we need so much everywhere else. AJ knows this so why rush back?

So yeah, it is entirely possible we will never see AJ play in a Bengals uniform again as should be the case.

But then again, Mike sure does love him some splash players...

*note that i didn't even bring up AJ's injury history as a reason we should probably move on or shall i say "free him"

Reply/Quote
It would be hard for any team to deal with the injuries and retirements that happened to this team late in the offseason.

Jonah - out for season
Boling - retired
Glenn - concussion

I actually thought the Bengals did a decent job of addressing the o-line in the offseason. They also tried to move up in the 2nd to get another lineman. I don't think it's lost on the current coaching staff that we have terrible talent right now.
Reply/Quote
But Andy Dalton BAAAAD!!!!
I know who I am! I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude!
Reply/Quote