Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steelers sign Haskins
Congrats and good luck!

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/steelers-to-sign-former-washington-qb-and-first-round-pick-dwayne-haskins-to-a-one-year-deal/
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
This could be an outstanding signing for them. When it comes to underperforming players who have been tagged with the "lazy" descriptor, a well respected coach and strong structure and history of success can go a long way in helping that player find the motivation to succeed. If Haskins can fulfill his potential, he could be the leader of the Steelers for the next decade with almost no "rebuild" period in between Ben and his successor.

But, given how quickly Washington gave up on him, I would assume this outcome is a long shot. We'll see how it goes.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2021, 05:11 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: This could be an outstanding signing for them. When it comes to underperforming players who have been tagged with the "lazy" descriptor, a well respected coach and strong structure and history of success can go a long way in helping that player find the motivation to succeed. If Haskins can fulfill his potential, he could be the leader of the Steelers for the next decade with almost no "rebuild" period in between Ben and his successor.

But, given how quickly Washington gave up on him, I would assume this outcome is a long shot. We'll see how it goes.

Haskins is most definitely a player that could have benefitted from another year at the collegiate level.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2021, 05:11 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: This could be an outstanding signing for them. When it comes to underperforming players who have been tagged with the "lazy" descriptor, a well respected coach and strong structure and history of success can go a long way in helping that player find the motivation to succeed. If Haskins can fulfill his potential, he could be the leader of the Steelers for the next decade with almost no "rebuild" period in between Ben and his successor.

Not picking a fight, genuinely asking what players have shed a label in Pittsburgh, I'm blanking there?

The Steelers' locker room doesn't seem very tightly run considering Juju and Claypool this season and other problem players in the past. Haskins has great physical skills and I think he needs an organization that can help him become a gym rat and more professional.

From the Steelers' angle, I wonder if this means they're not considering using an early pick on a QB. Unless they're comfortable keeping 3 QBs or Haskins is gonna get a quick look and maybe a quick hook.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2021, 05:58 PM)Bmore Birds Wrote: Not picking a fight, genuinely asking what players have shed a label in Pittsburgh, I'm blanking there?

The Steelers' locker room doesn't seem very tightly run considering Juju and Claypool this season and other problem players in the past. Haskins has great physical skills and I think he needs an organization that can help him become a gym rat and more professional.

From the Steelers' angle, I wonder if this means they're not considering using an early pick on a QB. Unless they're comfortable keeping 3 QBs or Haskins is gonna get a quick look and maybe a quick hook.

dont know what he signed for but that could say a lot for their plans... Likely someone to compete with Rudolph should ben retire. (or be forced to retire.)   And give them a little more wiggle room come draft time.

Be interesting to see how it pans out.  Washington did just get a new coach and Haskins as a hangover from Jay gruden.   (plus they still have alex smith when healthy who clearly outplayed haskins)
Reply/Quote
Better them taking a flyer on Haskins than somehow making a move on Watson.

That would be horrific!
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2021, 07:23 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Better them taking a flyer on Haskins than somehow making a move on Watson.

That would be horrific!

Totally agree
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2021, 06:28 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: dont know what he signed for but that could say a lot for their plans... Likely someone to compete with Rudolph should ben retire. (or be forced to retire.)   And give them a little more wiggle room come draft time.

Be interesting to see how it pans out.  Washington did just get a new coach and Haskins as a hangover from Jay gruden.   (plus they still have alex smith when healthy who clearly outplayed haskins)

From what I remember of Haskins in college, he was pretty good at quick hits off the play fake, and did fairly well at selling himself as a runner to allow deeper receivers to get open.  Steelers have a good, mostly youthful WR Corps and a couple of reliable TEs;  If they pair him with the right RB, he could do something with that offense.

Or, he could lull in his immaturity and flounder..

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I think he has the talent. Was not aware of his antics until after he was released. Normally I’d hope he’d see the light but we don’t need another HoF QB in Pitt.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
I see it as the typical low-risk, high reward move.

At worst, they get a look at the guy and move on.

At best, he could be a long-term decent backup, or potentially even fulfill some of the potential that made him a high draft pick.

I'm not an OSU fan, btw.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Trash player joins trash organization. He’ll fit right in with Juju and the rest of those punks.

Reply/Quote
(01-21-2021, 05:58 PM)Bmore Birds Wrote: Not picking a fight, genuinely asking what players have shed a label in Pittsburgh, I'm blanking there?

Fair point haha. That locker room somehow has the opposite effect that you'd think considering their history of success and consistent relevance. 
Reply/Quote

Heyward and Ben are their locker room leaders. Both are long in the tooth. Watt will probably step in to take Heywards role when he's gone. I have no clue on the offensive side of the ball when Ben goes. Connor or some one on the O line, maybe? But Connor is likely gone and the O line is going to get a revamp this offseason with the likely retirement of Pouncey and departure of AV. 

All teams will always have leaders, but you're overall correct. Gone are the days Bettis, Farrior, Porter (even with all his faults) et al that really commanded and lead that team. They're definitely not as tightly run as they used to be. 

IMO their biggest strength is the popularity of Coach Cliche'. Players love to play for him. He will command the respect from Haskins, but will that respect be enough to make a difference? We'll see. 
(01-21-2021, 08:04 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: From what I remember of Haskins in college, he was pretty good at quick hits off the play fake, and did fairly well at selling himself as a runner to allow deeper receivers to get open.  Steelers have a good, mostly youthful WR Corps and a couple of reliable TEs;  If they pair him with the right RB, he could do something with that offense.

I'm betting on B. And even if I'm wrong, he still has to show that can play at the NFL level. That question honestly hasn't been answered yet. 
(01-22-2021, 01:09 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Trash player joins trash organization. He’ll fit right in with Juju and the rest of those punks.

Haskins and JuJu will never be teammates. 
Reply/Quote

I can still see Steelers making an attempt to move up in draft to get one of those top QBs. Even if Big Ben stays , its obvious its time to groom a young gun in Pitt.  
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2021, 08:04 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: From what I remember of Haskins in college, he was pretty good at quick hits off the play fake, and did fairly well at selling himself as a runner to allow deeper receivers to get open.  Steelers have a good, mostly youthful WR Corps and a couple of reliable TEs;  If they pair him with the right RB, he could do something with that offense.

i think a creative OC could get a lot out of him instead of trying to force him into their system... Build the system for him  which is why them looking at Hue is interesting to me i think he could do that
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2021, 12:47 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: i think a creative OC could get a lot out of him instead of trying to force him into their system... Build the system for him  which is why them looking at Hue is interesting to me i think he could do that

No kidding, Jackson had Andy Dalton looking like an MVP candidate in 2015.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2021, 01:14 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: No kidding, Jackson had Andy Dalton looking like an MVP candidate in 2015.

and no one that took the job after has come close...  
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2021, 12:38 PM)kalibengal Wrote: I can still see Steelers making an attempt to move up in draft to get one of those top QBs. Even if Big Ben stays , its obvious its time to groom a young gun in Pitt.  

That would be a very aggressive move. Moving from #24 to the top 5 would likely cost an arm and a leg haha.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2021, 02:02 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: and no one that took the job after has come close...  

Bill Lazor was on the right path, IMO, but the result was not clear as that was the beginning of our protection issues.
Reply/Quote