Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Steelers took a Beating on Antonio Brown trade?
At least the AP writers seem to think so, calling the players the Steelers chose "Hugely Disappointing".

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/the-steelers-haul-of-players-for-antonio-brown-is-hugely-disappointing/ar-BBWm6k0?ocid=spartandhp

Quote:When the Pittsburgh Steelers dealt Antonio Brown to the Oakland Raiders, the haul looked underwhelming - very underwhelming. But an optimist might have provided the following response: "let's wait until we see what kind of players the Steelers can get with those picks."
Well, we finally got a look, with the Steelers making their selections from the trade in the 2019 NFL Draft. They selected Toledo receiver Diontae Johnson in the third round and Michigan tight end Zach Gentry in the fifth round. Those optimists have probably gone quiet.
With Brown ripped the Steelers, Ben Roethlisberger and others before getting dealt from Pittsburgh, he made it almost impossible for the Steelers to get a decent haul. His Twitter tantrums killed the Steelers trade leverage to the point where their return in picks was ugly - and it looks no better after those picks turned into players.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 11:05 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: At least the AP writers seem to think so, calling the players the Steelers chose "Hugely Disappointing".

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/the-steelers-haul-of-players-for-antonio-brown-is-hugely-disappointing/ar-BBWm6k0?ocid=spartandhp

Honestly, yes he was great and left a hole that will be hard to fill. I originally felt he was unhappy as a Steelers and disrespected when the Steelers players voted Juju as team MVP. That sent him on a downward spiral that made him want to leave the Steelers and go someplace where he felt respected and wanted to leave a big F U to the Steelers so he purposely lowered his trade value by acting crazy. After reading his tweets I think it's more serious than that. I think he has CTE or something like that. I hope he gets the help he needs before he's like a vegetable or something. Yes it will be hard to fill his shoes, but Ben won't be forced to throw the ball into double and triple coverage just to please Brown. He's now off the team and the only drama queen left on this team is Ben. That should bring the moral back up some and the tension won't be as bad since he's gone and happy.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 11:05 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: At least the AP writers seem to think so, calling the players the Steelers chose "Hugely Disappointing".

First of all, getting rid of Brown is addition by subtraction. After he started acting up, there was no way he could come back. Bringing him back would have been a disaster. Even if the Steelers were to flex their muscles and exercise their leverage (ultimately they had it all), the distraction that would have ensued until there was a resolution would have been horrible. Enough so that, if it would have lingered, could potentially hurt them this coming season. And with Ben's career on a short leash, they can ill afford to waste ANY time pursuing another championship. Moving on ASAP was the right thing to do, even if they only got what they did.

Secondly, as with any draft, you can't make those predictions until years down the road. What the writer isn't taking into account, is that the extra third round pick probably allowed them to be more willing to trade their second in order to move up to get Devin Bush. As such, you can frame this as an AB for Devin Bush trade. He's highly touted, but we don't know how his career will unfold. If he turns out to be another Jarvis Jones, then they screwed the pooch. But if he turns out like the last player that they traded up in the first round of the draft to get, Troy Polamalu, then it's a winner.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 01:19 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: First of all, getting rid of Brown is addition by subtraction. After he started acting up, there was no way he could come back. Bringing him back would have been a disaster. Even if the Steelers were to flex their muscles and exercise their leverage (ultimately they had it all), the distraction that would have ensued until there was a resolution would have been horrible. Enough so that, if it would have lingered, could potentially hurt them this coming season. And with Ben's career on a short leash, they can ill afford to waste ANY time pursuing another championship. Moving on ASAP was the right thing to do, even if they only got what they did.

Secondly, as with any draft, you can't make those predictions until years down the road. What the writer isn't taking into account, is that the extra third round pick probably allowed them to be more willing to trade their second in order to move up to get Devin Bush. As such, you can frame this as an AB for Devin Bush trade. He's highly touted, but we don't know how his career will unfold. If he turns out to be another Jarvis Jones, then they screwed the pooch. But if he turns out like the last player that they traded up in the first round of the draft to get, Troy Polamalu, then it's a winner.

What a delightfully defensive attempt to save face for an organization that is clearly heading down the tubes..   Cool

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 12:38 PM)Captain Obvious Wrote: Honestly, yes he was great and left a hole that will be hard to fill. I originally felt he was unhappy as a Steelers and disrespected when the Steelers players voted Juju as team MVP. That sent him on a downward spiral that made him want to leave the Steelers and go someplace where he felt respected and wanted to leave a big F U to the Steelers so he purposely lowered his trade value by acting crazy. After reading his tweets I think it's more serious than that. I think he has CTE or something like that. I hope he gets the help he needs before he's like a vegetable or something. Yes it will be hard to fill his shoes, but Ben won't be forced to throw the ball into double and triple coverage just to please Brown. He's now off the team and the only drama queen left on this team is Ben. That should bring the moral back up some and the tension won't be as bad since he's gone and happy.

He may be gone, but he's not happy.

Watch this clip with Ryan Clark. Brown claimed that "Tony" made those tweets, not Antonio. Dude has some serious mental health issue going on.
***edit*** It's at the 2:19 mark.

Reply/Quote
It was already decided that brown wouldn't be with the team next year so getting anything in return for him was fine. And if the argument is the Steelers didn't get good enough players in with those two picks - well that isn't news. That's just another way of saying someone of Brown's caliber isn't going to be immediately replaced with equal value from a 3rd and 5th round pick. We knew that before the draft - duh. What players should the Steelers have taken with those picks to not have taken "a beating"? There's no two players that we could have came away with to change that (without letting their careers play out anyways) because regardless of who we took they are 3rd and 5th round rookies replacing guy who had the best 5 year run in NFL history. Hence why this isn't draft news; it's just another way to restate what was obvious since the trade took place. So great timely smack - up next roasting Ike Taylor for a dropped interception.

Plus having more picks allowed us to trade up so you can't isolate one thing when the extra picks changed the entire strategy for the draft.
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 07:44 PM)6andcounting Wrote: It was already decided that brown wouldn't be with the team next year so getting anything in return for him was fine. And if the argument is the Steelers didn't get good enough players in with those two picks - well that isn't news. That's just another way of saying someone of Brown's caliber isn't going to be immediately replaced with equal value from a 3rd and 5th round pick. We knew that before the draft - duh. What players should the Steelers have taken with those picks to not have taken "a beating"? There's no two players that we could have came away with to change that (without letting their careers play out anyways) because regardless of who we took they are 3rd and 5th round rookies replacing  guy who had the best 5 year run in NFL history. Hence why this isn't draft news; it's just another way to restate what was obvious since the trade took place. So great timely smack - up next roasting Ike Taylor for a dropped interception.

Plus having more picks allowed us to trade up so you can't isolate one thing when the extra picks changed the entire strategy for the draft.
Whoever "decided" this is a moron. We had to give up a first rounder to get Beckham. Brown is arguably better than Beckham at this point. As soon as Brown pulled that stunt at the last game, they should of actively moved him before he poisoned the waters. We now have the best GM in the league.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2019, 06:36 AM)BakertheBeast Wrote: Whoever "decided" this is a moron.

Yeah, no one is going to defend Brown's decision making skills.

(05-03-2019, 06:36 AM)BakertheBeast Wrote:  We had to give up a first rounder to get Beckham. Brown is arguably better than Beckham at this point. 

Yeah, well desperate teams do desperate things like overpaying.

(05-03-2019, 06:36 AM)BakertheBeast Wrote: As soon as Brown pulled that stunt at the last game, they should of actively moved him before he poisoned the waters. 

Pick one. lol

(05-03-2019, 06:36 AM)BakertheBeast Wrote:  We now have the best GM in the league.
 Yeah.

(05-03-2019, 06:36 AM)BakertheBeast Wrote:  We had to give up a first rounder to get Beckham. Brown is arguably better than Beckham at this point. 

Oh
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2019, 06:36 AM)BakertheBeast Wrote: Whoever "decided" this is a moron. We had to give up a first rounder to get Beckham. Brown is arguably better than Beckham at this point. As soon as Brown pulled that stunt at the last game, they should of actively moved him before he poisoned the waters. We now have the best GM in the league.

Yeah man, you guys should run the division, the rest of the teams will be lucky to score on the Browns.  They'll likely have a better dynasty than the Patriots have been running for the past 16 years or so.  Hell, they might even re-name the Lombardi to the "Mistake by the Lake" trophy.  Just try to save a few slots on the All-Pro team for the rest of the teams in the league..

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2019, 10:19 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yeah man, you guys should run the division, the rest of the teams will be lucky to score on the Browns.  They'll likely have a better dynasty than the Patriots have been running for the past 16 years or so.  Hell, they might even re-name the Lombardi to the "Mistake by the Lake" trophy.  Just try to save a few slots on the All-Pro team for the rest of the teams in the league..

Lets be realistic young man. I don't expect the Browns to win the Super Bowl this year. Next year I do. They will go 12-4 this year and win the north. We were fortunate to finally end up getting a HOF franchise QB. Until the Bungals get a real Qb, its going to be business as usual in Cintucky. Heartbreak city. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2019, 08:17 AM)BakertheBeast Wrote: Lets be realistic young man. 

We were fortunate to finally end up getting a HOF franchise QB. 

A HOF franchise QB....who didnt even start for part of his rookie year, and when he did start "led" his team to a losing record. Yes....let's be realistic.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2019, 10:34 AM)Beaker Wrote: A HOF franchise QB....who didnt even start for part of his rookie year, and when he did start "led" his team to a losing record. Yes....let's be realistic.

C'mon man, this is the Browns that we're talking about.  They're going to be so great that they'll make the Jordan era Bulls look like the Waterloo Wonders by comparison.  Vegas will be coming up with a new betting line, simply known as "Browns vs. The Field".  50 years from now, children will sing folk songs about how great they were..

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2019, 08:17 AM)BakertheBeast Wrote: We were fortunate to finally end up getting a HOF franchise QB. 

Bengals fans thought that same exact thing in 2005. Ask them how that turned out. 
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2019, 08:17 AM)BakertheBeast Wrote: Lets be realistic young man. I don't expect the Browns to win the Super Bowl this year. Next year I do. They will go 12-4 this year and win the north. We were fortunate to finally end up getting a HOF franchise QB. Until the Bungals get a real Qb, its going to be business as usual in Cintucky. Heartbreak city. ThumbsUp

Your boy's a choke artist (see week 17) just like every Brown before him... And Jose Mesa.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2019, 11:28 AM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: Bengals fans thought that same exact thing in 2005. Ask them how that turned out. 

Difference is Carson Palmer broke even his first year as a starter. By his second season he was in the conversation with Peyton Manning and Tom Brady as the best in the league. Baker "the Beast's bed shaker" Mayfield had a losing record. Yeah he broke some trivial rookie record in an inflated passing era. His loser minions up there can hardly contain themselves...

This new guy is funny though. If he had a story about Jake Delhomme bangin' his girlfriend I'd say he is the best poster the smack forum has ever seen.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2019, 08:17 AM)BakertheBeast Wrote: We were fortunate to finally end up getting a HOF franchise QB.

Quote:Heartbreak city. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2019, 09:01 AM)jason Wrote: Difference is Carson Palmer broke even his first year as a starter. By his second season he was in the conversation with Peyton Manning and Tom Brady as the best in the league. Baker "the Beast's bed shaker" Mayfield had a losing record. Yeah he broke some trivial rookie record in an inflated passing era. His loser minions up there can hardly contain themselves...

This new guy is funny though. If he had a story about Jake Delhomme bangin' his girlfriend I'd say he is the best poster the smack forum has ever seen.

Yes I agree with you. Carson was a great quarterback before his injury. Mayfield could only wish he could be as good as Palmer. After the Kimo injury, he was never quite the same. He was still good, but not great. Just watch, after this season Baker will be on his back or running for his life more than he will be completing passes.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2019, 06:16 PM)Captain Obvious Wrote: Yes I agree with you. Carson was a great quarterback before his injury. Mayfield could only wish he could be as good as Palmer. After the Kimo injury, he was never quite the same. He was still good, but not great. Just watch, after this season Baker will be on his back or running for his life more than he will be completing passes.

I tend to agree with you.  The little leprechaun hasn't taken any bonafide NFL hits yet.  He'll either get broken, or get the yips.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2019, 06:30 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I tend to agree with you.  The little leprechaun hasn't taken any bonafide NFL hits yet.  He'll either get broken, or get the yips.

Yes this season will tell the tale better with how good of a quarterback he is. Teams will have almost a whole season's worth of film on him and will be able to plan for him better. I have a feeling the Browns fans will be in for a rude awakening.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2019, 11:22 PM)Captain Obvious Wrote: Yes this season will tell the tale better with how good of a quarterback he is. Teams will have almost a whole season's worth of film on him and will be able to plan for him better. I have a feeling the Browns fans will be in for a rude awakening.

The OTs aren't overly great on that team at the moment either.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote