Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steelers trade 1st round bust
Pickett to Eagles , wasted 1st round pick
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2024, 06:12 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Pickett to Eagles , wasted 1st round pick

It goes without saying that I can't stand Pitt, but that "first round bust" rolled into Cincy last year and kicked our ass if I'm not mistaken. He had a shitty OC for most of the season, being from Pitt, then drafted by the Steelers is a heavy burden. Give the dude some time and some fresh coaches that aren't from Dueschburgh.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2024, 06:37 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: It goes without saying that I can't stand Pitt, but that "first round bust" rolled into Cincy last year and kicked our ass if I'm not mistaken. He had a shitty OC for most of the season, being from Pitt, then drafted by the Steelers is a heavy burden. Give the dude some time and some fresh coaches that aren't from Dueschburgh.

I don't know man, personally I think that his career both peaked and then started falling off a cliff from the moment that he pulled that fake slide bullshit in the Hefty Cinch Sack Bowl.  The Steelers on the other hand saw that cheap move and thought "Wow, he's so resourceful.  He will simply come up with stuff on the fly and keep plays alive forever".  Wrong on all accounts.  In one very brief moment, this young man's career hit a crescendo, and the rest is just the denouement.

He happily accepted a trade to a team that he will likely never play for, why?  Because he has just enough starting experience that tells teams that he CAN play if NEEDED, but I think he's setting himself up to be a career backup.  Not a bad gig, collect a giant paycheck each year and stay mostly healthy and in shape.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2024, 06:51 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I don't know man, personally I think that his career both peaked and then started falling off a cliff from the moment that he pulled that fake slide bullshit in the Hefty Cinch Sack Bowl.  The Steelers on the other hand saw that cheap move and thought "Wow, he's so resourceful.  He will simply come up with stuff on the fly and keep plays alive forever".  Wrong on all accounts.  In one very brief moment, this young man's career hit a crescendo, and the rest is just the denouement.

He happily accepted a trade to a team that he will likely never play for, why?  Because he has just enough starting experience that tells teams that he CAN play if NEEDED, but I think he's setting himself up to be a career backup.  Not a bad gig, collect a giant paycheck each year and stay mostly healthy and in shape.

I don't disagree. I don't think he's great or anything. Probably closer to what you just described, but we've watched a lot of QBs over the years that had rocky beginnings to their careers and still ended up making their mark later. Jim Plunkett, Doug Williams, Jeff Hostetler, Rich Gannon, ect...and more recently Geno Smith and Nick Foles. 

Just saying time and place with some fresh coaching and maturity, anything is possible. 
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2024, 06:37 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: It goes without saying that I can't stand Pitt, but that "first round bust" rolled into Cincy last year and kicked our ass if I'm not mistaken. He had a shitty OC for most of the season, being from Pitt, then drafted by the Steelers is a heavy burden. Give the dude some time and some fresh coaches that aren't from Dueschburgh.

well part of the bust is he seemed to act like Ryan Leaf at times... really showed little maturity that you would think he would have... slice it any way you want but when you trade your 1st round pick after 2 years that is a bust pick as organizations
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2024, 10:42 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: well part of the bust is he seemed to act like Ryan Leaf at times... really showed little maturity that you would think he would have... slice it any way you want but when you trade your 1st round pick after 2 years that is a bust pick as organizations

Agree with that. Pitt definitely screwed the pooch somewhere along the line with how that played out be it player or coaching. I think he ends up as Sunset mentioned and he may get another shot to try and shine at some point. I don't have a dog in the fight, but it's possible he could still do something at some point.
Reply/Quote