Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stephen A Smith goes off on Marvin Lewis
(11-12-2018, 06:18 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Very few coaches get fired after a last second playoff loss with his back up QB starting.
No NFL coaches retain their jobs for 15 + years while failing to produce results, deep playoff runs, AFC Championships, Super Bowl titles.

Never mind the fact that said coach can't win under the lights and gets beat like a drum by his division rival, at home.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 06:54 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: No NFL coaches retain their jobs for 15 + years while failing to produce results, deep playoff runs, AFC Championships, Super Bowl titles.

Never mind the fact that said coach can't win under the lights and gets beat like a drum by his division rival, at home.

What is your point?  Do you even know what we are discussing?

NFL coaches just don't resign (except maybe after a Super Bowl victory). Period.
Reply/Quote
I hardly ever watch espn anymore Stephen A Smith is one of the reasons I cant stand him. Plus the have become to political.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 06:58 PM)fredtoast Wrote: What is your point?  Do you even know what we are discussing?

NFL coaches just don't resign (except maybe after a Super Bowl victory). Period.

Marvin Lewis badly needs to become a trend setter in this area.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 07:03 PM)mon4078 Wrote: I hardly ever watch espn anymore Stephen A Smith is one of the reasons I cant stand him. Plus the have become to political.

WTF 

I never hear them discussing politics.  Even when there was an NFL strike they did not take sides.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 06:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: He has won more games than his opponent coaches.

No coach in the league would have resigned with the team Marvin had in January 2016.  I understand you don't like Marvin, but that does not mean you can just spew something crazy and act like it is a legitimate opinion.

Legitimate?  If you disagree with me, fine, but I'm guessing you get paid as much for your football opinions as I am or anyone else here is.  Besides, I don't seem to be in the minority when it comes to my opinions about Marvin.  I'd argue that speaks to legitimacy. So, can we keep with a civil discourse?   

Look I was one of Marvin's defenders even after the debacle of '10 and that award as **** presser that followed.  Took some crap on the mothership for that when some were calling for his head back then.  I was glad the old man kept him on, and still believed he could get us to the promised land.  But, that playoff game in January 2016 convinced me that the team was undisciplined and he was never going to get them over the hump.   

Forgive me, but that doesn't seem all that crazy to me.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 05:55 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: The last shred of sympathy I had for Marven went out the window in the early hours of January 10, 2016.  He kept prattling on at the presser about how ultimate responsibility for this team rests with him.  If he really felt that way, and if he could step back and take an honest look at this shit-show, he'd type up his resignation and drop it on Scrooge McCkryptkeeper's desk on the way out the door.

How do you know that he hasn't already tried to do just that, and may have been talked back into staying?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 08:59 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: How do you know that he hasn't already tried to do just that, and may have been talked back into staying?

Believe me, I don't underestimate the dependency Mike has on Marvin, so it wouldn't surprise me a bit were that to occur..  Hell, maybe Marvin's had one foot out the door more than once when Mikey turned on his irresistible charm.

Still, you can always say 'no thanks' and walk.  It's a job, not indentured servitude, though it probably seems like that at times.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 06:18 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Very few coaches get fired after a last second playoff loss with his back up QB starting.

What about it they lose to a back-up (Houston) or to a third string back up( also Houston) or to a team they purposely let into the playoffs and that team spanks them anyways (Jets) or lose to a team traveling across the country to play in your home stadium you had not lost a game it the whole season(chargers) and then they proceeded to lose another in the last minute with a backup qb because the coach couldn’t manage to instill a single ounce of discipline into his players?

He gets a pass for the colts loss as basically the whole team was injured.

Would you fire that guy?

Asking for a friend cause I agree with you. My friends kind of a jerk.
Reply/Quote
LMFAO

Mervy babe has to be feeling the heat from the next generation of the Brown family. We all know that Mikey boy just loves Marvin Lewis, but I don't believe that love transcends to Katie.

Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 09:08 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Believe me, I don't underestimate the dependency Mike has on Marvin, so it wouldn't surprise me a bit were that to occur..  Hell, maybe Marvin's had one foot out the door more than once when Mikey turned on his irresistible charm.

Still, you can always say 'no thanks' and walk.  It's a job, not indentured servitude, though it probably seems like that at times.

We all realize that Mike is big on family, relationships, trust, and such.  Personally, I feel like he thinks of Marvin as extended family.  He's built that close relationship, built trust, allows controls and freedoms that he just couldn't bring himself to do with other HC's, Marvin is in the family. I feel like Mike is too old to even consider building that sort of relationship with another coach, and he's determined to ride or die with Marvin at the reins.  

I may be one of the few that honestly believe that Marvin tries to do his best.  I feel like getting back to his roots, hands on with the defense, we will see something good from him.  

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 06:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Despite being handicapped by working for the worst owner in sports Marvin Lewis has beaten other NFL coaches more often than they have beaten him.

He definitely does not "suck ass".

Not trying to argue, but he cannot do it when it counts.  And what is our record vs Tomlin?
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2018, 07:06 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Marvin Lewis badly needs to become a trend setter in this area.

It's bullshit as usual, Jim Mora resigned in New Orleans.  Dave Wannstedt in Miami, Bruce Coslet (right here in Cincinnati.....LMAO), Bobby Petrino in Atlanta, and Lou Holtz in NYJ off the top of my head are other coaches who have resigned.....these last four did in mid season. Belichick in NYJ, Parcells in NE, there are several others.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I think Marvin must have banged Stephen A Smith's mother or sister, then left her on the front porch in a shopping cart..... Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 10:17 AM)Wyche Wrote: It's bullshit as usual, Jim Mora resigned in New Orleans.  Dave Wannstedt in Miami, Bruce Coslet (right here in Cincinnati.....LMAO), Bobby Petrino in Atlanta, and Lou Holtz in NYJ off the top of my head are other coaches who have resigned.....these last four did in mid season.  Belichick in NYJ, Parcells in NE, there are several others.

Not a single one of those guys resigned after a playoff loss.  In fact most of them were running from dumpster fires.

But don't let that stop you from hating on Marvin for not doing something that no other coach had ever done.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 12:07 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Not a single one of those guys resigned after a playoff loss.  In fact most of them were running from dumpster fires.

But don't let that stop you from hating on Marvin for not doing something that no other coach had ever done.

Why do you have to keep throwing that "playoff loss" in there ? Like that single playoff loss with "reasons" gives us hope and ML should be allowed another chance because of it ?

ML should have been gone years ago Fred, hell a decade ago. Quit , fired, resigned, shipped overseas in a box, whatever.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 12:22 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Why do you have to keep throwing that "playoff loss" in there ? Like that single playoff loss with "reasons" gives us hope and ML should be allowed another chance because of it ?

ML should have been gone years ago Fred, hell a decade ago. Quit , fired, resigned, shipped overseas in a box, whatever.

Exactly, New Orleans had never even had a winning season, let alone been to the playoffs before Jim Mora.  He was a savior to them, and he left.

Some resigned after WINNING playoff games. Mellow  Parcells left after a SUPER BOWL. Mellow Mellow

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 12:22 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Why do you have to keep throwing that "playoff loss" in there ? 

Because it is alleged that all respect was lost for Marvin when he failed to resign after a playoff loss.

And my point is that head coaches do not retire after playoff losses.

So I "throw it in there" because it is the basis of the point I am making.  Fans here rip Marvin for not doing what no other coach has ever done.  Seems kind of silly to me.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 02:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Because it is alleged that all respect was lost for Marvin when he failed to resign after a playoff loss.

And my point is that head coaches do not retire after playoff losses.

So I "throw it in there" because it is the basis of the point I am making.  Fans here rip Marvin for not doing what no other coach has ever done.  Seems kind of silly to me.

Except that it wasn't just A playoff loss was it? It was an NFL record setting 7th playoff loss without a win, and on top of that, it was achieved in an extremely embarrassing fashion...yet again.

To equate Marvin's situation after that playoff loss, with that of any other coach in NFL history seems disingenuous at best, because you aren't admitting that the overall context makes the situation entirely unique.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 03:11 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Except that it wasn't just A playoff loss was it? It was an NFL record setting 7th playoff loss without a win, and on top of that, it was achieved in an extremely embarrassing fashion...yet again.

To equate Marvin's situation after that playoff loss, with that of any other coach in NFL history seems disingenuous at best, because you aren't admitting that the overall context makes the situation entirely unique.

You mean you can't cherry pick one tiny part of a 16 season fubar and create a defense around that one aspect ? 

Who woulda thunk it ? 
Reply/Quote