Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Stephen A. Smith says Bengals embarrassed NFL in London
I didn't listen so what exactly did they do to embarrass the NFL?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The only thing I really took from what Stephen A said was about how he seems to be the only one in the media that is criticizing Marvin and the team. Which stuck with me. Our beat guys like Jim and Paul don't ever really write anything negative about the team. I don't expect them to be super critical of the team, because Im sure they'll be shunned in the media/locker rooms, but I expect at least some level of objectivity and I don't see that. Everyone talks about coaches and players going to teams in a market like New York, and having to deal with the media, I would like our guys to be somewhat tough on the team like those New York writers are. When Mike and Marvin put out a shitty product, they deserve to get asked the tough questions.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Smith is obsessed with getting Marvin canned (not that that's a bad thing). I think Marvin must have boned his wife or something.....
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2016, 08:48 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: Furthermore he must want us to win or something

Surprisingly, he is actually a Steelers fan. And no, I'm not kidding.  Look no further than his Twitter feed for proof.
Reply/Quote
SAS and Skip Bayless are always trying to be extreme on every position to create discussion. Both are steaming piles of crap. The only ones who should worry about being embarrassed are the players (they obviously don't care) and the fans, which can't do a thing about it. I'm not as embarrassed about being a Bengal's fan (hell, I was around in the 90s) as I am just flat-out disappointed in this team....specifically, the defense.
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2016, 08:35 PM)Roland Wrote: Didn't bother watching the clip.  "Embarrassed the NFL" is just nonsense. Most reaction in London was that it was an exciting game - one of the better in the series. People in London   aren't Bengal hating media blowhards or frustrated Bengal fans and they're not bothered by a tie like American fans.  To most of them it was an exciting game that was fought to the end.

Agree with this. I'm usually among the first to bash Lewis etc when they deserve it, but saying the Bengals "were an embarrassment to the NFL" is sensationalist BS. In reality, the Bengals battled a playoff team with a winning record to a tie. Are the Bengals disappointing this year? Of course they are. Did they embarrass the NFL in London by playing to a tie vs the Redskins? Nope.

Fwiw, I don't hate Stephen A, and I've agreed with him in the past about Marvin...particularly his post Chargers game rant. But I realize that his job is to produce "hot takes". Sometimes those hot takes are true and write themselves. Sometimes they need manufactured a bit. This would be such an occurrence.

EDIT: Just watched the video, and I do agree with SAS when he was specifically discussing Marv. Don't agree that the game was embarrassing to either team though.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2016, 06:34 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Stephen A. Smith as a joke.  He just says whatever stirs the pot.

I don't care if he picks the zbengals to win the Super Bowl.  He is still a joke.,

No shit Sherlock. It would be 100℅ a joke with this coaching staff!  Hilarious Ninja 
Reply/Quote
Even a blind squirrel gets a nut every now and then.

Stephen Smith is a tool.
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2016, 09:06 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: The only thing I really took from what Stephen A said was about how he seems to be the only one in the media that is criticizing Marvin and the team. Which stuck with me. Our beat guys like Jim and Paul don't ever really write anything negative about the team. I don't expect them to be super critical of the team, because Im sure they'll be shunned in the media/locker rooms, but I expect at least some level of objectivity and I don't see that. Everyone talks about coaches and players going to teams in a market like New York, and having to deal with the media, I would like our guys to be somewhat tough on the team like those New York writers are. When Mike and Marvin put out a shitty product, they deserve to get asked the tough questions.

The only media people I ever hear criticizing Marvin at least a little bit are Mo Egger and Tony Pike. When they do their Monday show on 1530 they'll occasionally rip him for not showing any emotion or not calling a player out. And how all he says is "we just have to do better" or "we just need to do our jobs". Yuck.
Reply/Quote
Man I love Stephen A Smith when he goes on his Marvin rants. Dude isnt afraid to tell it like it is.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2016, 08:35 PM)Roland Wrote: Didn't bother watching the clip.  "Embarrassed the NFL" is just nonsense. Most reaction in London was that it was an exciting game - one of the better in the series. People in London   aren't Bengal hating media blowhards or frustrated Bengal fans and they're not bothered by a tie like American fans.  To most of them it was an exciting game that was fought to the end.

You may want to watch the clip before you go and spew the title as "nonsense". 

He is basically saying he embarrassed the NFL and our country because we couldnt kick field goals in a country where soccer and kicking is so prevalent. It was tongue in cheek. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Easy to kick folks when their down.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2016, 02:17 PM)jj22 Wrote: Easy to kick folks when their down.

Unless you're Mike Nugent.

[Image: 17gcgdctofn41jpg.jpg]
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
This guy is insufferable.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2016, 02:17 PM)jj22 Wrote: Easy to kick folks when their down.
Well blame ownership. If Marvin had been let go like he should have been years ago, this would be a non-issue. 

(11-04-2016, 04:32 PM)Big Boss Wrote: This guy is insufferable.

Overall, yes. But what did he say that was so insufferable there? The truth??
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2016, 12:57 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: You may want to watch the clip before you go and spew the title as "nonsense". 

He is basically saying he embarrassed the NFL and our country because we couldnt kick field goals in a country where soccer and kicking is so prevalent. It was tongue in cheek. 

Hopefully London is so embarrassed that they don't want to do these stupid games in London anymore
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
Not a fan of Smith or Bayless or their show.

But Smith is spot on about ML and has been for several years now. This isn't the first time he's called for Marvin to be canned and he's absolutely right.

Don't agree at all with embarrassing the NFL, embarrassed themselves ? probably
Reply/Quote
He's been saying this for a long time

And we've had Marvin as our coach even longer
Reply/Quote
Stephen A is a proclaimed Steeler fan. Our Bengals tendency to physically break up Steeler players and his receding hairline brings out the worst in Stephen.
Reply/Quote