Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stephen Breyer/SCOTUS
Thank ***** goodness, Breyer is retiring.

https://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/560353-justice-breyer-announces-retirement-from-supreme-court
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
Oh man, Mike Lindell and company had better get their asses in gear to get the 2020 election overturned and Trump back in office before Biden can replace him!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 02:20 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Thank ***** goodness, Breyer is retiring.

https://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/560353-justice-breyer-announces-retirement-from-supreme-court

"But they can really let Biden name a replacement?  I mean there is a midterm election this year and the will of the people to put the gop back in charge of congress should be taken into consideration.

And then after the election we are only two years from the next POTUS election so these things can't be hurried."

~ Mitch McConnell (probably)
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 03:00 PM)GMDino Wrote: "But they can really let Biden name a replacement?  I mean there is a midterm election this year and the will of the people to put the gop back in charge of congress should be taken into consideration.

And then after the election we are only two years from the next POTUS election so these things can't be hurried."

~ Mitch McConnell (probably)

Maybe Biden is so senile that he appoints Trump to the SC.
Reply/Quote
McConnel is going to block this 100%. They need every democrat to break the filibuster on this and I am sure Mitch is offering Manchin and Sinema an off ramp into the GOP if they help him out.
Reply/Quote
In before the "z0mg SCOTUS so political, guy is retiring just so Biden can nominate an ultralib to the bench"

Good for Breyer. It's a shame RBG didn't do this before.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 03:12 PM)Au165 Wrote: McConnel is going to block this 100%. They need every democrat to break the filibuster on this and I am sure Mitch is offering Manchin and Sinema an off ramp into the GOP if they help him out.

McConnell already dismantled the filibuster for SCOTUS. It'll be a simple majority.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 03:13 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: McConnell already dismantled the filibuster for SCOTUS. It'll be a simple majority.

...which they need all 50. I am saying, I don't think they have 50 votes.Guess calling it a "fillibuster" wasn't the best terming for it though. I am saying, I think those two are exiting the party and this will be their coming out move for the GOP.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 03:14 PM)Au165 Wrote: ...which they need all 50. I am saying, I don't think they have 50 votes.

I'm willing to bet they will.

Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 03:15 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I'm willing to bet they will.

Man I hope but we are in a wild world.
Reply/Quote

This is like the grown up version of a school yard fight.  I triple dog dare them to stall for 3 years!
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 03:16 PM)Nately120 Wrote: This is like the grown up version of a school yard fight.  I triple dog dare them to stall for 3 years!

Low effort posts are my favorite.

Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 03:18 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Low effort posts are my favorite.

I choose to believe you are being sincere.
Reply/Quote

Yeah, zero chance Biden doesn't get to fill these vacancy.  It would take two, at least, disastrous nominations in a row for this not to be done well before the mid terms.  As long as the nominee doesn't have major skeletons in their closet then I can't see Manchin or Sinema holding up the nomination.  
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 06:49 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Yeah, zero chance Biden doesn't get to fill these vacancy.  It would take two, at least, disastrous nominations in a row for this not to be done well before the mid terms.  As long as the nominee doesn't have major skeletons in their closet then I can't see Manchin or Sinema holding up the nomination.  

Who knows about Sinema and her motives, but Manchin is probably more against green initiates cutting into his coal backers and profits rather that establishing himself as an obstructionist. 

Sinema seems like a genuine wildcard with an unidentified motive.  
Reply/Quote
There is stupid and then there is special guest on a FOX program stupid.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
"We should leave the seat empty until after the mid term elections. let the people decide who gets to fill the seat."
-Mitch McConnell, probably.
Reply/Quote
The latest out of right leaning outlets is that Biden will nominate Harris to SCOTUS. It fulfills his promise to nominate a "black woman", and gives him a good out to dump a wildly unpopular VP. I can see how the theory developed, but I definitely hope it's not true. Harris is the textbook definition of a person who fails upwards. She's never been a bench officer, which I think could be a sticking point for someone like Manchin, plus I have heard, and this is only rumor, that she was not well liked by her Senate colleagues.
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2022, 12:46 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: The latest out of right leaning outlets is that Biden will nominate Harris to SCOTUS.  It fulfills his promise to nominate a "black woman", and  gives him a good out to dump a wildly unpopular VP.  I can see how the theory developed, but I definitely hope it's not true.  Harris is the textbook definition of a person who fails upwards.  She's never been a bench officer, which I think could be a sticking point for someone like Manchin, plus I have heard, and this is only rumor, that she was not well liked by her Senate colleagues.

He can toss that out there and when it flops he can say "Ok ok, how about Obama?"

https://smarkets.com/event/42580859/politics/us/us-supreme-court/next-supreme-court-nominee

According to this betting site, the big favorite is Ketanji Brown Jackson with Harris quite a bit behind.
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2022, 01:57 PM)Nately120 Wrote: He can toss that out there and when it flops he can say "Ok ok, how about Obama?"

Go the Taft route?  That would really make some people's heads explode.  Again though, never a bench officer.  Still, I'd take him for 100 years over Harris for ten.
Reply/Quote