Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steve King: How did white supremacist become offensive?
(02-14-2019, 12:50 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: She didn't mention Steve King, the reason for this thread, and his anti-semitic statements, but he also has a history of it.

Well ok, but besides King and the LEADER OF THE REPUBLICAN PARTY who is POTUS--what other elected officials have publicly made such remarks?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(02-14-2019, 12:14 PM)GMDino Wrote: Mellow

[Image: giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095c6585616b6d6446559d3a52]

Apparently you don't understand what a question is.   Whatever

(02-14-2019, 12:50 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Expand the thread.

She didn't mention Steve King, the reason for this thread, and his anti-semitic statements, but he also has a history of it.

I have a hard time buying Trump as an antisemite given that his daughter is married to an orthodox Jew and he's Netenyahu's best buddy.  Could he be overcompensating?  I suppose that's possible.
(02-14-2019, 09:56 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Apparently you don't understand what a question is.   Whatever

I have a hard time buying Trump as an antisemite given that his daughter is married to an orthodox Jew and he's Netenyahu's best buddy.  Could he be overcompensating?  I suppose that's possible.

No doubt the left is having a hard time painting Trump as antisemite while excusing Oman's words; but they get an A for effort. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(02-14-2019, 10:05 PM)bfine32 Wrote: No doubt the left is having a hard time painting Trump as antisemite while excusing Oman's words; but they get an A for effort. 

Except the person I was posting tweets from didn't excuse Oman's words.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(02-14-2019, 10:13 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Except the person I was posting tweets from didn't excuse Oman's words.

Did she condemn them?

WTS, I was speaking more to the Left in general. You can agree with the assertion or disagree. 

Let's see if you'll play the provide an earnest answer game:

Who do you think dislikes the Jew more simply because of their religion: Trump or Oman?

(02-14-2019, 10:20 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Did she condemn them?

In that tweet thread she said they were anti-semitic.

(02-14-2019, 10:20 PM)bfine32 Wrote: WTS, I was speaking more to the Left in general. You can agree with the assertion or disagree. 

Let's see if you'll play the provide an earnest answer game:

Who do you think dislikes the Jew more simply because of their religion: Trump or Oman?

I don't know. I don't really have an opinion on that one.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(02-14-2019, 10:28 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I don't know. I don't really have an opinion on that one.

Yet, you'll draw attention to one more than the other. 

(02-14-2019, 10:20 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Who do you think dislikes the Jew more simply because of their religion: Trump or Oman?

I have an answer - I think it's Omar. No doubt, she doesn't do the idea of being inclusive towards Islam any favors.

Trump mainly acted anti-semitic when he did not reject the endorsement of Nazis and in the light of Charlottesville called some of them good people. But I personally think he's just ignorant and panders to what he percieves his base. While she has some real political and possibly religious issues with Jews.

Now that your question got answered - move on :)
(02-14-2019, 10:36 PM)hollodero Wrote: I have an answer - I think it's Omar. No doubt, she doesn't do the idea of being inclusive towards Islam any favors.

Trump mainly acted anti-semitic when he did not reject the endorsement of Nazis and in the light of Charlottesville called some of them good people. But I personally think he's just ignorant and panders to what he percieves his base. While she has some real political and possibly religious issues with Jews.

Now that your question got answered - move on :)

The earnest answer is appreciated

The ending was uncalled for

(02-14-2019, 10:30 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Yet, you'll draw attention to one more than the other. 

I shared a series of tweets related to a hypocritical attempt by the GOP to embarrass a Democratic member of Congress for actions perceived as anti-semitic. If you have a problem with that being pointed out, that's your problem.

Also, much like with racism, I don't call people anti-semitic, only their actions.

(02-14-2019, 10:38 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The earnest answer is appreciated

The ending was uncalled for

It honestly wasn't meant in bad faith at all.
(02-14-2019, 10:45 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I shared a series of tweets related to a hypocritical attempt by the GOP to embarrass a Democratic member of Congress for actions perceived as anti-semitic. If you have a problem with that being pointed out, that's your problem.

Also, much like with racism, I don't call people anti-semitic, only their actions.

No problem. Just pointing out what you point out. 

(02-14-2019, 11:03 PM)bfine32 Wrote: No problem. Just pointing out what you point out. 

Pot, kettle, all that jazz.

This thread has become a fascinating example of tribalism and whataboutery.
(02-15-2019, 10:30 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: This thread has become a fascinating example of tribalism and whataboutery.

I know a lot of it was inevitable, but as the OP, I posted the Omar story here because she was being compared to King. I didn't want to start a new thread, but it seems like sometimes that might expedite things. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(02-14-2019, 10:20 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Who do you think dislikes the Jew more simply because of their religion: Trump or Oman?

Doesn't matter.

There are Jews who oppose Zionism.  All of Oman's comments have been critical of Zionism, not the tenants of the Jewish faith.

The same people who scoff at African Americans "playing the race card" have no problem with Zionist playing the "anti-semite card" even when the issue is about Zionism instead of Judaism.

A favorite "red herring" of the right wing echo chamber.
(02-15-2019, 11:04 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I know a lot of it was inevitable, but as the OP, I posted the Omar story here because she was being compared to King. I didn't want to start a new thread, but it seems like sometimes that might expedite things. 

Trust me, I wasn't including you in that observation.
(02-15-2019, 01:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Doesn't matter.

There are Jews who oppose Zionism.  All of Oman's comments have been critical of Zionism, not the tenants of the Jewish faith.

The same people who scoff at African Americans "playing the race card" have no problem with Zionist playing the "anti-semite card" even when the issue is about Zionism instead of Judaism.

A favorite "red herring" of the right wing echo chamber.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.
(02-15-2019, 03:22 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Exactly.

When a person is complaining about Zionism you should assume they are talking about Zionism instead of trying to insert some "secret meaning" into the comments.

Just look at the plain meaning instead of trying to twist her comments into "anti-Semitism".  When someone talks about money in connection with a powerful political lobby like AIPAC they are usually talking about the corrupt influence of money from lobbyist instead of Jewish stereotypes.
(02-15-2019, 03:39 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Exactly.

When a person is complaining about Zionism you should assume they are talking about Zionism instead of trying to insert some "secret meaning" into the comments.

Just look at the plain meaning instead of trying to twist her comments into "anti-Semitism".

Fred, so gestalt in your thinking that you can't appreciate the saying could be interpreted the exact opposite way in this instance.