Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Stop comparing Joe Burrow to Dalton
So this is something that caught on in the media that for the life of my I simply cannot understand.  A member of these forums posted this on a thread today and I wrote up a short response, but I figured I would bring this into a new thread for a small breakdown of Burrow.

andy dalton - 6'2"
burrow - 6'4"

last year of college stats

Dalton - 2857 yrds - 27 td - 6int - accuracy 68% - yards per attempt 9
Burrow - 5208 - 55 td - 6 int - accuracy 78% - yards per attempt 11

I will do a full breakdown sometime over the next week showing the differences in their running, pocket presence, throwing motion, reads, arm strength.  The two are worlds apart when you actually watch the tape and do research.  I'm not a rah rah QB guy and never have been on these forums,  Lamar Jackson was the only guy I've mocked to the team in the last 5 years.  That said Joe Burrow is on another level than these other guys.

here are a few things to wet your whistle

article on arm strength

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/lsu-football/joe-burrow-explains-why-urban-meyer-told-him-he-threw-like-a-girl/

What I love about this article is that Burrow doesn't deflect the issue, but worked to improve it.  As he physically matures it will increase further.

Here is an example of arm strength, but feel free to watch the full video to see all aspects of his game.

If I had one concern with Joe Burrow is that he still doesn't have the absolute perfect throwing motion to reach his full arm strength and he sometimes takes to many steps on the release, but these are easy things to fix with coaching because his fundamentals are already so good.  A NFL comparison as far as throwing motions are concerned I would compare him to is Peyton Manning.  Brady is damn near a clone when it comes to body types with the kid, but Brady takes much larger steps and releases like a baseball pitcher.  Joe Burrow typically stands a bit higher and takes a shorter last step, but this may be a result of his willingness to move out of the pocket and/or run.  

If you compare the pass on the burrow video to the last throw shown on the manning video you can see fundamentally how good his motion is, but vertically he doesn't lower enough to get that full engagement of arm strength like manning did.  Burrow's release is super fast and he throws tight spirals with pinpoint accuracy so on the NFL level this will transfer very well.  

Anywho like I said I will do a full write up probably after the combine when we have measurable's and hopefully, he throws at the combine and pro day which will give us even a better look at all his throwing mechanics.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
..There are people comparing Burrow to Dalton?
Reply/Quote
Skillset wise yes.

People forget Dalton led his team to 5 straight playoff appearances to start his career, far better than most QB's to this day outside of Brady, Brees etc. We hopefully will be taking that for granted in 5 years with Burrow under center, but in truth, those are some significant shoes to fill.

Shoes that likely won't be filled. So not a bad comp. Better than the Mitt T. Comp.

Joe does seem to have the mojo and clutch(ness), Dalton struggled with. And that's what makes him a different prospect.

Regardless, he's the best QB available (with a hurt Tua) so maybe he's not Mahomes, or Rodgers or as some point out Lawrence. But as far as this draft goes, he's the best prospect.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2020, 02:09 PM)jj22 Wrote: Joe does seem to have the mojo and clutch(ness), Dalton struggled with.

Dalton never struggled in the clutch in college.  He beat #4 Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl to lead TCU to an undefeated season and #2 final ranking.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2020, 02:09 PM)jj22 Wrote: Skillset wise yes.

People forget Dalton led his team to 5 straight playoff appearances to start his career, far better than most QB's to this day outside of Brady, Brees etc. We hopefully will be taking that for granted in 5 years with Burrow under center, but in truth, those are some significant shoes to fill.

Joe does seem to have the mojo and clutch(ness), Dalton struggled with. And that's what makes him a different prospect.

Russell Wilson says hello. And he actually did something once he got there...

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2020, 02:21 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Russell Wilson says hello. And he actually did something once he got there...

Thus the "etc".
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2020, 02:09 PM)jj22 Wrote: Skillset wise yes.

Shoes that likely won't be filled. So not a bad comp. Better than the Mitt T. Comp.

Regardless, he's the best QB available (with a hurt Tua) so maybe he's not Mahomes, or Rodgers or as some point out Lawrence. But as far as this draft goes, he's the best prospect.

your just throwing stuff against the wall.  show me anything in their playstyle, throwing motion, body type, release, anything... that compares to dalton in any way.  their completely different types of quarterbacks in every aspect.  Dalton doesn't have the mechanical levers, release, or accuracy.  Dalton is a good player for his particular body type and I'm not knocking Dalton as a player, but the two are not comparable.  

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2020, 02:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Thus the "etc".

So not all that exclusive at all. Got it.

Reply/Quote
True. I think Russ is the 3rd qb.

There's hardly any. Maybe like 3 or 4.

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2020, 02:24 PM)Okeana Wrote: your just throwing stuff against the wall.  show me anything in their playstyle, throwing motion, body type, release, anything... that compares to dalton in any way.  their completely different types of quarterbacks in every aspect.  Dalton doesn't have the mechanical levers, release, or accuracy.  Dalton is a good player for his particular body type and I'm not knocking Dalton as a player, but the two are not comparable.  

Dalton's release is far better than Joes as he has a 3/4 deliver the likes of Rivers. And who ever questions Daltons mechanics? One of the best in the business...

Now Joe navigates the pocket better than Dalton.

Arm strength is similar.

They both are/were athletic and could use their legs.

There's a reason he is linked to Dalton a lot, and there is nothing wrong with that. Dalton was the best QB to come out of that draft (not the most athletic one).

Dalton was never considered a 4th-7th round pick, or beat out by the likes of OState's QB's, a one year wonder.... If anything he should be the one insulted.

The idea that Joe's so much of a better prospect than Dalton is a little out there if we want to be honest.

A younger pre 2016 version of Dalton full of mojo and "it" factor, who can lead men in a different way then Dalton isn't bad. Hell it did get us 5 straight playoff appearances. Now imagine what the extra confidents and swag may do if the comparisons are legit?

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2020, 02:27 PM)jj22 Wrote: True. I think Russ is the 3rd qb.

Mahomes is 2 for 2 now, so is Watson (as a starter). There’s no reason to think Jackson won’t keep taking his team to the playoffs every year barring injury. If it was something only 1 or 2 QB’ ever did ok, but it’s not that big of a deal anymore. It’s just that our expectations are so low as Bengals fans that’s the kind of stuff we hang our hats on.

Reply/Quote
i agree

Joe burrow reminds me of Jim breuer in Half Baked... (just his face. lol)
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2020, 02:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Thus the "etc".

Remember the playoff game against the Chargers when he dove n fumbled the ball. The guy is the opposite of clutch.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2020, 02:24 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: So not all that exclusive at all. Got it.

No.  You don't get it at all.

That is why you are having to play "make believe" to include Mahomes and Watson in your list of QBs who have made 5 straight playoffs.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2020, 02:54 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Remember the playoff game against the Chargers when he dove n fumbled the ball.  The guy is the opposite of clutch.

Remember last year when Burrow stunk in big conference losses to Florida (34 att, 192 yds, 0 td, 2 int) and Alabama (35 att, 184 yds, 0 td, 1 int)?
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2020, 02:59 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No.  You don't get it at all.

That is why you are having to play "make believe" to include Mahomes and Watson in your list of QBs who have made 5 straight playoffs.

Better than playing make believe that Dalton ever accomplished anything significant here.

Reply/Quote
I've never seen a fanbase whose team has the #1 pick nitpick and spread false narratives about a quarterback the way we have with Burrow.

All because they want Andy Dalton to be the savior so bad..
Reply/Quote
College wise, Burrow is superior. It remains to be seen if it will translate, but he has the potential to be better than AD. Which would make for a good career.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2020, 03:22 PM)Whodey614 Wrote: I've never seen a fanbase whose team has the #1 pick nitpick and spread false narratives about a quarterback the way we have with Burrow.

All because they want Andy Dalton to be the savior so bad..

They love them some Andy Dalton around here don’t they.

Could you imagine if he played in NY or Philly? Luckily for Mike Brown we have fans that embrace mediocrity.

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2020, 03:05 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Remember last year when Burrow stunk in big conference losses to Florida (34 att, 192 yds, 0 td, 2 int) and Alabama (35 att, 184 yds, 0 td, 1 int)?

Remember this year when he went 21 of 24 for 293 and 3 TDs against Florida. Remember when he went 31 of 39 for 393 and 3 TDs against Alabama?
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote