Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Stop comparing Joe Burrow to Dalton
(01-08-2020, 12:45 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: Johnson kind of scares me. He didnt play against good teams, he played against scrubs. I really dont want to rely on UDFAS protecting a rookie.

Bu I also dont want Bobby Fart on the team either. I'd love for them to go OL 2nd round. It's a position that needs a complete makeover and I know one guy wont fix it, but if Josh Jones is there I'd be upset if he wasnt the pick.

Most definitely depending on FA. Stack this O-line up with talent to protect Burrow.

(01-08-2020, 01:14 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I think it is just something they need to take an extended look. Regardless of his draft position, if he can play, he can play. I would really like them to take a long hard look at him and see if he can really play. If so, that would be wonderful and would help tremendously. I still want to see the G positions shored up on the offensive line, regardless of what happens. I want the offensive line addressed to protect Burrow.

Yes sir Killer Goose. Cool 

(01-08-2020, 02:56 PM)Okeana Wrote: yawn.  if you want to start a thread about this go right ahead and I will address it, but I will just take this for the troll post it is.

It isn't a troll post Okeana, don't know what you are talking about here. He is just saying Fred Johnson might not be the answer. 

(01-08-2020, 03:01 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Totally get the sentiment; it's a wise sentitment to have.

But yes, you absolutely draft an OT high and you let the three compete for RT.

Once the dust settles, you have your starters and your two backups. Bang.

Hart did significantly better as well, as the season wore on.

Yes sir Mr. Truck. :andy:
Reply/Quote
I just want to wrap this thread up and pass all the haters a plate of crow. Enjoy!

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
^^ Love seeing the pivot from some board members.
Reply/Quote
I've been on the Burrow train since October. These last three months have been delicious.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2020, 12:32 PM)EastCoastBengal Wrote: ^^ Love seeing the pivot from some board members.

Yep, when I made this post just go back and look at how many guys arguing with me and are now acting like he's the best player they have ever seen.  You know why?  Because most of them never actually watched a game or cared to do any research on the stuff I even posted.  The term " one year wonder" gets passed around a lot when you talk about burrow, but when you know the facts you can see that's not his story at all.  His story is a guy who overcame his deficiencies and improved to master his craft and he continues to work.  I think its also very telling that he practices and trains like a pro right now because he's a grad student who takes his classes online.  This guy lives football and you can see his progression as a player.  He also doesn't have any of the character flaws other top prospects coming out have had in recent years so with the team being forced to spend their cap this year because of no carryover and having the draft capital we do this year is very exciting.  

Reply/Quote
(01-14-2020, 12:43 PM)Okeana Wrote: Yep, when I made this post just go back and look at how many guys arguing with me and are now acting like he's the best player they have ever seen.  You know why?  Because most of them never actually watched a game or cared to do any research on the stuff I even posted.  The term " one year wonder" gets passed around a lot when you talk about burrow, but when you know the facts you can see that's not his story at all.  His story is a guy who overcame his deficiencies and improved to master his craft and he continues to work.  I think its also very telling that he practices and trains like a pro right now because he's a grad student who takes his classes online.  This guy lives football and you can see his progression as a player.  He also doesn't have any of the character flaws other top prospects coming out have had in recent years so with the team being forced to spend their cap this year because of no carryover and having the draft capital we do this year is very exciting.  

I said it in another thread, people want to be in a constant pit of despair. As a Bengals fan it has always been like this. It's our culture instilled by our front office, and past coaches. It is now up to Zac and our future QB to instill this kill or be killed mentality. I am optimistic about our future, and I hope Taylor has that culture changing ability because that is the major thing we need for success. 
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2020, 12:54 PM)EastCoastBengal Wrote: I said it in another thread, people want to be in a constant pit of despair. As a Bengals fan it has always been like this. It's our culture instilled by our front office, and past coaches. It is now up to Zac and our future QB to instill this kill or be killed mentality. I am optimistic about our future, and I hope Taylor has that culture changing ability because that is the major thing we need for success. 

I don't wish bad things on anyone, but Brown is not getting younger and eventually, he will be gone.  The man is 84 years old and he could wake up tomorrow with dementia and things could change overnight.  I find it very hard to believe that Katie would just follow his mold of ownership because every child wants to do things differently.  So if you want to see the Bengals ever win a Superbowl you just have to outlive MB so stay healthy =)

Reply/Quote
(01-14-2020, 01:04 PM)Okeana Wrote: I don't wish bad things on anyone, but Brown is not getting younger and eventually, he will be gone.  The man is 84 years old and he could wake up tomorrow with dementia and things could change overnight.  I find it very hard to believe that Katie would just follow his mold of ownership because every child wants to do things differently.  So if you want to see the Bengals ever win a Superbowl you just have to outlive MB so stay healthy =)

I'm 20, he is 84. I am going to win the age battle. 
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2020, 12:14 PM)Okeana Wrote: I just want to wrap this thread up and pass all the haters a plate of crow.  Enjoy!

Bump.

(01-14-2020, 12:36 PM)Big Boss Wrote: I've been on the Burrow train since October.  These last three months have been delicious.

Tasty.

(01-14-2020, 12:43 PM)Okeana Wrote: Yep, when I made this post just go back and look at how many guys arguing with me and are now acting like he's the best player they have ever seen.  You know why?  Because most of them never actually watched a game or cared to do any research on the stuff I even posted.  The term " one year wonder" gets passed around a lot when you talk about burrow, but when you know the facts you can see that's not his story at all.  His story is a guy who overcame his deficiencies and improved to master his craft and he continues to work.  I think its also very telling that he practices and trains like a pro right now because he's a grad student who takes his classes online.  This guy lives football and you can see his progression as a player.  He also doesn't have any of the character flaws other top prospects coming out have had in recent years so with the team being forced to spend their cap this year because of no carryover and having the draft capital we do this year is very exciting.  

Dude could be the greatest, I am not kidding. Liked Burrow from the moment I first saw him this season.

What a time to get the greatest QB prospect I have ever seen. Dude just sees the field and has the best pocket awareness ever.

(01-14-2020, 12:54 PM)EastCoastBengal Wrote: I said it in another thread, people want to be in a constant pit of despair. As a Bengals fan it has always been like this. It's our culture instilled by our front office, and past coaches. It is now up to Zac and our future QB to instill this kill or be killed mentality. I am optimistic about our future, and I hope Taylor has that culture changing ability because that is the major thing we need for success. 

True, love the Avatar BTW, baby Yoda in Bengals gear LMAO!!! Hilarious 

(01-14-2020, 01:04 PM)Okeana Wrote: I don't wish bad things on anyone, but Brown is not getting younger and eventually, he will be gone.  The man is 84 years old and he could wake up tomorrow with dementia and things could change overnight.  I find it very hard to believe that Katie would just follow his mold of ownership because every child wants to do things differently.  So if you want to see the Bengals ever win a Superbowl you just have to outlive MB so stay healthy =)

Good timing for us all I think. Need to just put good players around Burrow and enjoy the ride. Give him some protection.

Oh and yeah bring back Mixon please, dude was a stud the last two seasons and can take the pounding.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2020, 12:14 PM)Okeana Wrote: I just want to wrap this thread up and pass all the haters a plate of crow.  Enjoy!

Did you do the same thing after Vince Young's amazing performance in the National Championship game?
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2020, 12:43 PM)Okeana Wrote: Yep, when I made this post just go back and look at how many guys arguing with me and are now acting like he's the best player they have ever seen.  You know why?  Because most of them never actually watched a game or cared to do any research on the stuff I even posted.  The term " one year wonder" gets passed around a lot when you talk about burrow, but when you know the facts you can see that's not his story at all.  His story is a guy who overcame his deficiencies and improved to master his craft and he continues to work. 

I understand that Burrow is the number one prospect.  I expect us to draft him.  But I still have concerns about him not looking good for the first four years of his college career.

When an NFL player doesn't do anything until the final year of his contract fans express concerns.  So the same thing applies to Burrow.  Some people wonder why he waited 4 years before he started working hard to make himself better.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2020, 02:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I understand that Burrow is the number one prospect.  I expect us to draft him.  But I still have concerns about him not looking good for the first four years of his college career.

When an NFL player doesn't do anything until the final year of his contract fans express concerns.  So the same thing applies to Burrow.  Some people wonder why he waited 4 years before he started working hard to make himself better.

Do you always post opinion and present as fact?  How do you know he didn't work hard?  How do you know he didn't look good?  You weren't at the practices or in the meetings (unless you were, if so, then I apologize).  I know that he look good every time he came in mop up duty while at OSU.  I know he had to learn a new offense that was heavily run oriented when he transferred.  I know that Orgeron is quoted as seeing the talent in his qb that he made the decision to change the offense to fit his qb's talents.

Let's not act like he just had a good season.  He had the best season of any qb in college football and he did it in arguably the hardest conference. He beat the past 2 national champion qbs and made it look easy.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2020, 03:00 PM)spidey Wrote: Do you always post opinion and present as fact?  How do you know he didn't work hard?  How do you know he didn't look good?  You weren't at the practices or in the meetings (unless you were, if so, then I apologize).  I know that he look good every time he came in mop up duty while at OSU.  I know he had to learn a new offense that was heavily run oriented when he transferred.  I know that Orgeron is quoted as seeing the talent in his qb that he made the decision to change the offense to fit his qb's talents.

Let's not act like he just had a good season.  He had the best season of any qb in college football and he did it in arguably the hardest conference. He beat the past 2 national champion qbs and made it look easy.

Nice post Spidey. I concur. Cool
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2020, 02:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I understand that Burrow is the number one prospect.  I expect us to draft him.  But I still have concerns about him not looking good for the first four years of his college career.

nope

Reply/Quote
(01-15-2020, 03:00 PM)spidey Wrote:   How do you know he didn't look good? 

Because I am a huge SEC fan and I watched him play a couple of big games in 2018 when he was the 12th rated QB in the 14 team conference.
Reply/Quote
Love the bolded line because it was true and will be true for at least the next few drafts.

Quote:1. JOE BURROW – LSU
Preseason Rank: 17; Week 6 Rank: 1; Week 12 Rank: 1
There has never been a season quite like Burrow’s season in 2019. Not Mayfield. Not Newton. Not Tebow. Not Winston nor Mariota. No season in history has a quarterback risen the way that Burrow did in 2019, and his season was capped by a National Championship victory over Clemson. No season in history has been as decorated as Burrow’s. No season has anyone dominated a set of statistics or advanced analytics the way Burrow did in 2019. You have to search long and hard to find a category that Burrow isn’t the highest-graded player in the PFF data. He’s the highest-graded player on throws 10 or more yards downfield, the highest-graded player under pressure, the highest-graded player on horizontal leads, the highest-graded player in the first quarter, the most accurate quarterback we’ve ever charted. The list could go on and on for Burrow and his historic season in 2019 to 2020, but I’ll leave you with the following statement. When the grading criterion for the rest of the quarterbacks went as such: “Where did he rank next to Burrow?” – you know just how special of a season it was for Broadway Jeaux, Joe Burreaux.

https://www.pff.com/news/college-pff-rankings-starting-quarterback-rankings-for-2019
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
As for Joe Burrow hating Skyline Chili I agree even WENDYS chili is better.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-15-2020, 03:50 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Because I am a huge SEC fan and I watched him play a couple of big games in 2018 when he was the 12th rated QB in the 14 team conference.

Burrow actually had a better junior season than the other 5 year QB taken by the Bengals at 1OA, and with much less experience. 

Palmer, who was also drafted after a 2-14 season oddly enough, was deservedly the consensus number one despite very pedestrian numbers prior to his final season at USC. Whatever people may think about him now, he was the right pick at the time and was a pretty damn talented NFL QB. As it turned out, his performance in 2002 was much more indicative of what he would do as a pro than his play/numbers in the years prior.

I think the same applies to Burrow. What he showed this past season, in terms of skills set and talent level in a much more accurate indication of what he'll do in the NFL than his prior season, for a variety of reasons. Not saying he'll put up those types of insane numbers, only that I think he'll perform at relatively high level.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2020, 04:14 PM)Synric Wrote: Love the bolded line because it was true and will be true for at least the next few drafts.

https://www.pff.com/news/college-pff-rankings-starting-quarterback-rankings-for-2019

Yes sir, this season will most likely always be the one QB's will be compared to now. It was that impressive.

(01-15-2020, 05:01 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Burrow actually had a better junior season than the other 5 year QB taken by the Bengals at 1OA, and with much less experience. 

Palmer, who was also drafted after a 2-14 season oddly enough, was deservedly the consensus number one despite very pedestrian numbers prior to his final season at USC. Whatever people may think about him now, he was the right pick at the time and was a pretty damn talented NFL QB. As it turned out, his performance in 2002 was much more indicative of what he would do as a pro than his play/numbers in the years prior.

I think the same applies to Burrow. What he showed this past season, in terms of skills set and talent level in a much more accurate indication of what he'll do in the NFL than his prior season, for a variety of reasons. Not saying he'll put up those types of insane numbers, only that I think he'll perform at relatively high level.

Yes, plus Burrow did it in the SEC against much better competition.

Don't understand Fred not thinking this is a very big deal as he is always saying he is such a big follower of SEC players.

Burrow went against the best Defenses in the country and lit them up.
Reply/Quote
Oh Joe Burrow tore the cartliage between his ribs on that hit at the end of the first half of the National Championship game. He probably won't be at the Senior Bowl now.

Reply/Quote