Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Stores continue to close in Democrat led cities due to crime
The examples keep coming in:

https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/12/business/walmart-chicago-stores-closing/index.html

Interestingly, WaPo in an opinion piece tries to claim this has nothing to do with crime...hence it being an opinion piece. https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2023/04/12/walmart-s-chicago-store-closings-aren-t-about-crime-just-business/0b374266-d965-11ed-aebd-3fd2ac4c460a_story.html. Bloomberg also claims it has nothing to do with crime but has no examples.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/11/business/san-francisco-whole-foods-closure/index.html

https://footwearnews.com/2023/business/retail/retail-crime-portland-retailers-stores-1203425503/

Here are a couple from last year we talked about on this forum

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/18/business/retail-shoplifting-shrink-walgreens/index.html

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/12/business-food/starbucks-store-closures/index.html (from last year)

Democrats don't really care about safety, they just like to virtue signal when it conveniences them. (Now i don't really think this, I just wanted to sound like some of the other posters in this forum) I just think they're shit leaders in these cities.
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
I was just reading somewhere about Walmart losing millions annually at the 4 stores it was closing in Chicago. And then people complaining about them creating food deserts. I get the anger at creating food deserts. But it's not a grocery/merchandise business' responsibility to police a community and teach them to not be scumbags.

All those crazy walmart internet videos and pics gotta be coming from somewhere.
Reply/Quote
So multiple articles state the reason for closing the Chicago Walmarts is serious lack of profitability. Walmart says the stores are closing due to lack of profitability. Therefore you conclude it is due to crime. Seems like a logical conclusion to me…not.

Per capita, crime rates in Republican run areas are just as high, if not higher than in Democratic area. Now granted in shear numbers a city the size of New York or Chicago will have more crimes committed than say Cincinnati simply due to having more people.

Democrats want to eliminate the issues that lead to crime in the first place. Republicans want to punish the criminals after the fact. 2 different approaches.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
The grocery store I used to go to most frequently closed. Due to profitability. And seeing random items where they shouldn't be wasn't rare. I guess it could be some kind of petty crime. For being a dbag and putting a pack of raw chicken down in the cookie isle.

Hopefully its the same people who shit and piss all over the bathrooms so maybe if you could weed them out... But I doubt it. That's another groups of weirdos that costs you money and employees.
Reply/Quote
Crime rates are similar no matter the party in control. The denser the population the more crime in an area because there are more people to commit crimes. Simple as that. Of course, one of the highest correlations to crimes like theft and even to violent crime is socioeconomic imbalance. That is especially true for petty crimes like shoplifting. Maybe we should look into policies related to solving that issue instead of perpetuating socioeconomic imbalance and feeding the prison industrial complex by keeping up our 20% of the world's prison population with 4% of the world's overall population.

Mellow
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2023, 07:30 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Crime rates are similar no matter the party in control. The denser the population the more crime in an area because there are more people to commit crimes. Simple as that. Of course, one of the highest correlations to crimes like theft and even to violent crime is socioeconomic imbalance. That is especially true for petty crimes like shoplifting. Maybe we should look into policies related to solving that issue instead of perpetuating socioeconomic imbalance and feeding the prison industrial complex by keeping up our 20% of the world's prison population with 4% of the world's overall population.

Mellow

Additionally, using "blue area crime rates" as a means to build support for politicians who want to further dismantle and demonize social programs and education as well as limit upward mobility is bad politics at its best. 

I fear help is not on the way. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2023, 01:20 AM)basballguy Wrote: The examples keep coming in:
https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/12/business/walmart-chicago-stores-closing/index.html
Interestingly, WaPo in an opinion piece tries to claim this has nothing to do with crime...hence it being an opinion piece.  https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2023/04/12/walmart-s-chicago-store-closings-aren-t-about-crime-just-business/0b374266-d965-11ed-aebd-3fd2ac4c460a_story.html.  Bloomberg also claims it has nothing to do with crime but has no examples.  
https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/11/business/san-francisco-whole-foods-closure/index.html
https://footwearnews.com/2023/business/retail/retail-crime-portland-retailers-stores-1203425503/

Here are a couple from last year we talked about on this forum
https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/18/business/retail-shoplifting-shrink-walgreens/index.html
https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/12/business-food/starbucks-store-closures/index.html (from last year)

Democrats don't really care about safety, they just like to virtue signal when it conveniences them.  (Now i don't really think this, I just wanted to sound like some of the other posters in this forum)  I just think they're shit leaders in these cities.

The "opinion" piece cites Walmart telling Bloomberg that the closings are not about crime. 

So Walmart provided no examples that the closings were not about crime?  

What would that look like--an "example" of a store closing, but NOT because of crime? 

It might look exactly like a store closing for lack of profitability, of which Chicago offers us four examples.

CNN article suggests a numbers based discrepancy between business' claimed loss via theft and actual losses. 

Dem "virtue signaling" has a long history, going back to the Freedom Riders who were beaten back in the '60s when it convenienced them to contest segregation with their bodies on the line. Conservatives pretty much stayed out of that fight--or backed the wrong side. Things are easier nowdays, of course, but you can still see them out there looking virtuous whenever civil rights issues arise with policing or foreign policy or whatever. And you can see who still backs the wrong side. 

All those links get me thinking that maybe youtube videos of organized shoplifting are not the best place to start in understanding why crime spikes in some communities and not others, and what causes stores to close. E.g., in the aforementioned instances of Chicago and San Francisco, competition from other business seems to have played a large role in close. 

And in the case of Chicago it seems city leaders worked hard to bring the stores in, against the advice of the "wokest" of the woke, who thought Walmart would hurt local business. Maybe not the best decision then, but I don't see how electing Republican leaders would have fixed that. Perhaps "stop and frisk" in the "right" areas of Chicago? Tougher penalties for crime coupled with open carry? 
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2023, 01:58 AM)pally Wrote: So multiple articles state the reason for closing the Chicago Walmarts is serious lack of profitability.  Walmart says the stores are closing due to lack of profitability. Therefore you conclude it is due to crime. Seems like a logical conclusion to me…not.

Per capita, crime rates in Republican run areas are just as high, if not higher than in Democratic area.  Now granted in shear numbers a city the size of New York or Chicago will have more crimes committed than say Cincinnati simply due to having more people.

Democrats want to eliminate the issues that lead to crime in the first place.  Republicans want to punish the criminals after the fact.  2 different approaches.

When a store is cutting merchandise due to theft, adjusting operating hours due to theft, and making other changes due to theft, those "business reasons" are because of crime.  Spin it however you want.  

Separately, I think it would be cool for you to start providing examples of your statistics because often times you pop in here, spout a stat without a data source, then never follow up with the proof.  

Would love to see how you're comparing crime in these cities versus those republicans ones...and how that crime ties to retail store closures.  
Reply/Quote
I don't think there are policies that can fix culture. That leads to people always looking for someone else to fix their problems. It's gotta be someone who worked/earned their property/food to take a stand against other jackasses in their neighborhood. If you have a welfare queen with a bunch of shitty kids. It can be a really big burden on society.
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2023, 01:32 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I don't think there are policies that can fix culture. That leads to people always looking for someone else to fix their problems. It's gotta be someone who worked/earned their property/food to take a stand against other jackasses in their neighborhood. If you have a welfare queen with a bunch of shitty kids. It can be a really big burden on society.

Careful, you're dangerously close to sounding like a republican.  :)

Policies may or may not "fix" a culture but they can certainly "enable" a culture. Like when Chicago increased how much you could steal from a store before it's considered a felony....all that did was cause people to steal more from the stores since they could go higher in dollar amount.  

This problem has one of two outcomes:

1) Businesses cut their losses and close their stores (which is what we're seeing)
2) The cities take action on crime (no comment)
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2023, 01:55 AM)basballguy Wrote: Careful, you're dangerously close to sounding like a republican.  :)

Policies may or may not "fix" a culture but they can certainly "enable" a culture. Like when Chicago increased how much you could steal from a store before it's considered a felony....all that did was cause people to steal more from the stores since they could go higher in dollar amount.  

This problem has one of two outcomes:

1) Businesses cut their losses and close their stores (which is what we're seeing)
2) The cities take action on crime (no comment)

Well you put them in a "better" place and they have nicer things then they end up with guns and shoot up the school.

We are F'd AI is going to wreck us when it commandeers the robots.

I blame it on punk ass kids with shitty parents.
Reply/Quote
Punk ass kids

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/chicago-teens-gathering-downtown-violence-chaos-mayor-lightfoot-johnson/3120208/
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2023, 07:17 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Punk ass kids

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/chicago-teens-gathering-downtown-violence-chaos-mayor-lightfoot-johnson/3120208/

Teens in Philly have so few entertainment/ gathering options it’s criminal. Lots of kids live in overcrowded homes. If you don’t give them options like community centers / city gyms / public spaces, what do you expect they do? It’s nuts how overlooked this demo is when it comes to city planning / funding.
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
As it turns out it’s not just SF. It’s also New York, Portland, and Seattle.

Color me shocked

https://www.cnn.com/2023/09/26/business/target-retail-theft-store-closures/index.html

But we can keep saying they’re closing for other reasons :)
Reply/Quote
It's not crime as the reason retailers are losing profits, eh?

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/9/27/us-teens-ransack-loot-philadelphia-shops-in-flash-mob-style-raids

Quote:Groups of masked and hooded teenagers broke into and swarmed shops in Philadelphia’s city centre, grabbing merchandise and fleeing on foot in flash mob-style raids, authorities and witnesses say.

An Apple Store was hit at about 8pm local time on Tuesday (00:00 GMT) and police chased fleeing teenagers who raided the shop, recovering dropped iPhones and a “pile of iPads” at one spot, a police statement said.

More than 100 people who appeared to be teenagers looted a Lululemon store, NBC10 Philadelphia reported, citing a police officer.

Video posted on social media showed mostly masked youths in hoodies running out of Lululemon and police officers grabbing several and tackling them to the sidewalk, the Philadelphia Inquirer reported.

No injuries were immediately reported but CBS Philadelphia said a security guard was assaulted at a Foot Locker outlet.

The Philadelphia Inquirer newspaper reported that more than 20 people were arrested, many of whom were young people, during the theft and vandalism spree on Tuesday night.

According to the Inquirer, the city’s acting police commissioner John Stanford said the young people involved appeared to have coordinated the raids using social media and “a caravan of cars” was moving around locations in the city and breaking into shops.

The raids appeared to have been contained by police by midnight local time, the newspaper added.

The flash mob-style ransacking followed an earlier peaceful protest in the city over a judge’s decision on Tuesday to dismiss murder and other charges against a Philadelphia police officer who shot dead a driver, Eddie Irizarry, through a car window.

Several police commanders said the looting was not connected to earlier demonstrations over the judge’s decision, CBS Philadelphia reported.

“This had nothing to do with the protests,” acting police chief Stanford said, according to the Inquirer.

“What we had tonight was a bunch of criminal opportunists take advantage of a situation and try to destroy our city,” he said.

The shop raids occurred on the same day that US budget retailer Target announced it would close nine stores in four states, including one in New York’s East Harlem neighbourhood, and three in the San Francisco Bay Area, saying that theft and organised retail crime have threatened the safety of its workers and customers.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2023, 10:35 AM)Dill Wrote: The "opinion" piece cites Walmart telling Bloomberg that the closings are not about crime. 

So Walmart provided no examples that the closings were not about crime?  

What would that look like--an "example" of a store closing, but NOT because of crime? 

It might look exactly like a store closing for lack of profitability, of which Chicago offers us four examples.

CNN article suggests a numbers based discrepancy between business' claimed loss via theft and actual losses. 

Dem "virtue signaling" has a long history, going back to the Freedom Riders who were beaten back in the '60s when it convenienced them to contest segregation with their bodies on the line. Conservatives pretty much stayed out of that fight--or backed the wrong side. Things are easier nowdays, of course, but you can still see them out there looking virtuous whenever civil rights issues arise with policing or foreign policy or whatever. And you can see who still backs the wrong side. 

All those links get me thinking that maybe youtube videos of organized shoplifting are not the best place to start in understanding why crime spikes in some communities and not others, and what causes stores to close. E.g., in the aforementioned instances of Chicago and San Francisco, competition from other business seems to have played a large role in close. 

And in the case of Chicago it seems city leaders worked hard to bring the stores in, against the advice of the "wokest" of the woke, who thought Walmart would hurt local business. Maybe not the best decision then, but I don't see how electing Republican leaders would have fixed that. Perhaps "stop and frisk" in the "right" areas of Chicago? Tougher penalties for crime coupled with open carry? 

Spin Dr is in the house! 

Theft hits profitability. hiring more workers to protect from that is also hurting Profitability. 
Employees getting hurt and suing hurts profitability. 

your nonsense babbling is hurting my profitability.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2023, 01:58 AM)pally Wrote: So multiple articles state the reason for closing the Chicago Walmarts is serious lack of profitability.  Walmart says the stores are closing due to lack of profitability. Therefore you conclude it is due to crime. Seems like a logical conclusion to me…not.

Per capita, crime rates in Republican run areas are just as high, if not higher than in Democratic area.  Now granted in shear numbers a city the size of New York or Chicago will have more crimes committed than say Cincinnati simply due to having more people.

Democrats want to eliminate the issues that lead to crime in the first place.  Republicans want to punish the criminals after the fact.  2 different approaches.

There are so many inaccuracies in this post it's honestly impressive.  Most crime is centered in urban areas.  Urban areas are overwhelmingly run by Dems.  Democrats, right now, don't care about eliminating the reasons or punishing the criminals, they just throw money at useless programs to virtue signal.  Getting on board with "defund the police" has had major consequences.  I posted tons of links in the other thread, feel free to try and educate yourself on this issue.

(04-13-2023, 07:30 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Crime rates are similar no matter the party in control. The denser the population the more crime in an area because there are more people to commit crimes. Simple as that. Of course, one of the highest correlations to crimes like theft and even to violent crime is socioeconomic imbalance. That is especially true for petty crimes like shoplifting. Maybe we should look into policies related to solving that issue instead of perpetuating socioeconomic imbalance and feeding the prison industrial complex by keeping up our 20% of the world's prison population with 4% of the world's overall population.

Mellow

Bel, this is simply not true.  You are correct that crime is centered in urban areas.  Where you are incorrect is that it is similar regardless of the party in charge,  When criminals face little to no consequences they will recidivate.  When a person can be arrested for burglary, be cited out due to Dem policies, and then be arrested the same day for another burglary, only to again be cited out, they will continue to recidivate.  I'm not going to bother reposting the myriad links from the other thread on this issue, suffice to say the evidence on this is clear.  Soft on crime Dem policies have caused an atmosphere of lawlessness that I have never seen in my lifetime.

Stores in Beverly Hills are boarded up due to smash and grab gangs.  This is literally unheard of.  There are murals on the 101 freeway as it goes through downtown.  The used to get tagged up and cleaned the next day.  They literally stopped trying and they are all tagged up now, not even an attempt to keep them clean.  Los Angeles is literally unrecognizable from the place I lived for close to twenty years.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12482555/beverly-hills-store-closures-crime-economy.html

Target alone lost over $400 million due to theft in California last fiscal year.  And that's just Target.  The Walmarts in Chicago are absolutely closing due to high amounts of retail theft.  Anyone who's trying to believe otherwise has there head firmly planted somewhere that doesn't smell pleasant.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2023, 01:47 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I was just reading somewhere about Walmart losing millions annually at the 4 stores it was closing in Chicago. And then people complaining about them creating food deserts. I get the anger at creating food deserts. But it's not a grocery/merchandise business' responsibility to police a community and teach them to not be scumbags.

All those crazy walmart internet videos and pics gotta be coming from somewhere.

Chicago's brilliant mayor has a plan though, city run grocery stores!  He promises no tax money will be used to fund them, except for the state and federal tax money he'll get to run them.  I'm sure they won't experience high levels of theft though.

(09-27-2023, 11:39 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Spin Dr is in the house! 

Theft hits profitability. hiring more workers to protect from that is also hurting Profitability. 
Employees getting hurt and suing hurts profitability. 

your nonsense babbling is hurting my profitability.

Admitting this is a problem would be admitting that the Dems have failed on this issue.  He can't admit that, so spin, obfuscation and semantics is all he's got left.  You can still believe the Dems are a better party while admitting they have their flaws.  But to the highly partisan any admission of failure is seen as propping up the other side, so self delusion becomes the order of the day.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2023, 11:49 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: There are so many inaccuracies in this post it's honestly impressive.  Most crime is centered in urban areas.  Urban areas are overwhelmingly run by Dems.  Democrats, right now, don't care about eliminating the reasons or punishing the criminals, they just throw money at useless programs to virtue signal.  Getting on board with "defund the police" has had major consequences.  I posted tons of links in the other thread, feel free to try and educate yourself on this issue.

Bel, this is simply not true.  You are correct that crime is centered in urban areas.  Where you are incorrect is that it is similar regardless of the party in charge,  When criminals face little to no consequences they will recidivate.  When a person can be arrested for burglary, be cited out due to Dem policies, and then be arrested the same day for another burglary, only to again be cited out, they will continue to recidivate.  I'm not going to bother reposting the myriad links from the other thread on this issue, suffice to say the evidence on this is clear.  Soft on crime Dem policies have caused an atmosphere of lawlessness that I have never seen in my lifetime.

Stores in Beverly Hills are boarded up due to smash and grab gangs.  This is literally unheard of.  There are murals on the 101 freeway as it goes through downtown.  The used to get tagged up and cleaned the next day.  They literally stopped trying and they are all tagged up now, not even an attempt to keep them clean.  Los Angeles is literally unrecognizable from the place I lived for close to twenty years.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12482555/beverly-hills-store-closures-crime-economy.html

Target alone lost over $400 million due to theft in California last fiscal year.  And that's just Target.  The Walmarts in Chicago are absolutely closing due to high amounts of retail theft.  Anyone who's trying to believe otherwise has there head firmly planted somewhere that doesn't smell pleasant.

Trying their best to make all of those dystopian movies come to life..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote