Thread Rating:
  • 12 Vote(s) - 1.67 Average
Storming Of The Capitol Building
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/02/us/noah-green-farrakhan.html

https://www.mediaite.com/crime/breaking-suspect-killed-in-capitol-car-attack-identified/
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(04-02-2021, 08:17 PM)BrownAssClown Wrote: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/02/us/noah-green-farrakhan.html

https://www.mediaite.com/crime/breaking-suspect-killed-in-capitol-car-attack-identified/

He was probably in a hurry to hug and kiss some cops.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
(04-03-2021, 04:42 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: He was probably in a hurry to hug and kiss some cops.

No, this time it seems another extremist who thought he found a path and so didn't deal with his own demons and ended up killing someone else.

https://nypost.com/2021/04/02/suspect-who-smashed-into-barrier-at-us-capitol-identified-reports/

Quote:The driver who killed a US Capitol cop before he was gunned down by police is a Nation of Islam devotee from Indiana, according to reports and his social media.

Noah Green, 25, who may have been living in Virginia, described himself as a “Follower of Farrakhan” on his Facebook page, in reference to Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan.

Green appeared to have come on hard times from his Facebook page reviewed by The Post before his account was taken down.

“I was on the right track and everything I had planned was coming into existence. It required long hours, lots of studying, and exercise to keep me balanced while experiencing an array of concerning symptoms along the path (I believe to be side effects of drugs I was intaking unknowingly),” he wrote on March 17, signing the message Brother Noah X.

“However, the path has been thwarted, as Allah (God) has chosen me for other things. Throughout life I have set goals, attained them, set higher ones, and then been required to sacrifice those things,” he continued.

His Facebook posts were first reported by MSNBC, which read them on-air.

Green allegedly slammed into a fence outside the US Capitol just after 1 p.m. Friday and struck two officers before crashing into a barricade.

Green allegedly got out of the car with a knife and lunged at an officer before being fatally shot, reports say.

One of the officers, 18-year veteran William Evans, died at the hospital. The other officer is being treated at an area hospital.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2021/04/02/noah-green-went-from-football-player-posting-extremist-groups/7068100002/

Quote:WASHINGTON — The man who police say rammed his car into a security barrier at the U.S. Capitol on Friday and was fatally shot by police after emerging from the vehicle with a knife was a lifelong athlete who in recent months had shown growing support on social media for Louis Farrakhan and the extremist Nation of Islam group. 

Noah Green, 25, was identified as the suspect in the attack that killed one U.S. Capitol Police officer and injured another, according to a law enforcement official briefed on the inquiry. Those who knew Green described him as quiet, athletic and non-violent but also told USA TODAY they were concerned about recent changes in his behavior.

Police say Green rammed a dark-colored sedan into a security barrier outside the U.S. Capitol, killing Officer William "Billy" Evans, an 18-year veteran of the U.S. Capitol Police Department. After the crash, police say, Green got out of the car with a knife in his hand, ran toward officers and ignored their commands. Officers opened fire and killed him.

D.C. Metropolitan Police Chief Robert J. Contee III said Green's attack did not "appear to be terrorism-related."
[Image: 4f718cac-8ed7-4690-b893-b55195c10ace-AP_...&auto=webp]

Contee said police are investigating to determine Green's motive. He said Green was not known to either D.C. Police or the USCP and was not previously considered a threat to lawmakers.

More:Officer William Evans, killed in Friday's attack at Capitol, described as 'wonderful guy'

People who went to school with Green and played sports with him growing up described him as the average jock: athletic, popular, even working at a gym in college.

The violence on Friday, they say, was jarring compared to the person they knew, but Green's recent social media activity seemed to offer clues that he'd changed.

Green was born in West Virginia but spent most of his life growing up in a sparsely populated area of Virginia with a large family, including nine siblings, USA TODAY learned through multiple interviews. He was athletic, playing basketball and football growing up.

He graduated from Christopher Newport University in 2019, where he played football as a defensive back, a spokesman for the school in Newport News, Virginia, told USA TODAY. On his biography page for the team, Green noted he was majoring in business and the "person in history he'd most like to meet is Malcolm X."
[Image: 0c53cb66-3f88-4e23-998c-b854e3b130eb_pos...&auto=webp]

Andre Toran, who was a captain on the football team at the time, said Green was a "really quiet guy" who would crack jokes every once in a while but usually just smiled instead of chiming in on conversations.

"I know people say this all the time, but the guy who I played with is not the same person who did this," said Toran, a reporter at the Courier-Journal in Louisville, Kentucky, part of the USA TODAY Network.

Toran said while he moved away to attend graduate school in Chicago, Green's mental state became an issue of concern among their friends.

Toran shared a Facebook post from Green during the COVID-19 pandemic in which Green accused his roommates of drugging him. Green wrote that he'd moved out but was suffering from withdrawals that included seizures and a lack of appetite, along with "paranoia" and "depression." He wrote in the post that he was also experiencing "suicidal ideation."

Green's Facebook profile was taken down Friday after the Capitol attack.

More:Friday attack at the US Capitol expected to reignite the debate over security fencing erected after riot

Others who knew Green started to see a change in what he posted on Facebook, including support for the Nation of Islam, an anti-Semitic extremist group, as designated by the Southern Poverty Law Center, and its leader, Farrakhan.

The Southern Poverty Law Center describes the Nation of Islam as a hate group that aims to uplift African Americans but promotes anti-Semitic and racist theology.

KC Humphries, who attended CNU with Green, told USA TODAY they worked together at the school's gym.
"He kind of came off as the average football athlete," she said. 
[Image: 059b739f-b2c3-42fd-8594-921c71669943-002...&auto=webp]

[/url]

But, she added, she noticed the recent changes in his social media posts.

"They were very weird. It was posts about joining his church and 'one day you'll see' kind of stuff," Humphries said. "It was just a lot of weird, kind of cult stuff."

On what appeared to be Green's Facebook page, he posted last month about struggling over the last several years and his issues during the pandemic, including losing a job. He talked about his recent "spiritual journey."

"To be honest, these past few years have been tough, and these past few months have been tougher," one post said. "I have been tried with some of the biggest, unimaginable tests in my life. I am currently now unemployed, after I left my job, partly due to afflictions."

But, he said, Farrakhan's teaching had been a guiding path for him, calling the extremist leader "my spiritual father" and saying despite his path being thwarted, "Allah (God) has chosen me for other things."
In other posts, Green shared speeches by Farrakhan and Elijah Muhammad, who previously led the Nation of Islam, and wrote about the end times.

"It was definitely surprising to see all this," Humphries said of Green's alleged involvement in Friday's incident. "But, when I remembered the posts and connected the dots, it kind of adds up now."

What we know:[url=https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2021/04/02/what-we-know-capitol-police-officer-killed-man-rams-barrier/7067870002/]Capitol Police officer, suspect dead after driving into barrier

One of Green's brothers told The Washington Post that Noah Green appeared to have mentally unraveled in the last several years. He abruptly moved from Virginia to Indiana and told his brother, Brendan, he was suffering from hallucinations, heart palpitations, headaches and suicidal thoughts. Brendan Green told the paper his brother informed him the drugs told him to move to Indianapolis.

In Indiana, Noah told his brother that people were attempting to break into his apartment. Brendan Green said he flew out to Indianapolis but didn't see anything suspicious and told The Post that Noah's “mind didn’t seem right.”

A few months ago, Noah Green moved to Botswana, his brother told the Post. The brothers kept in contact and at one point, Noah told Brendan that "his mind was telling him to basically commit suicide" and said he'd jumped in front of a car, Brendan told The Post. Several weeks ago, Brendan allowed Noah to come live with him after Noah said he was "in a really bad situation."

Investigators on Friday were still digging into the suspect’s background and examining whether he had any history of mental health issues. They were also working to obtain warrants to access his online accounts.

Contributing: Kevin Johnson, USA TODAY; The Associated Press.

The usual suspects can now tell us "See!!  It isn't just Trump supporters and right wing extremists!!"  As if anyone every said that was ALL there was when all we did was just NOT ignore that they are there and really bad.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(04-03-2021, 09:32 AM)GMDino Wrote: No, this time it seems another extremist who thought he found a path and so didn't deal with his own demons and ended up killing someone else.

https://nypost.com/2021/04/02/suspect-who-smashed-into-barrier-at-us-capitol-identified-reports/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2021/04/02/noah-green-went-from-football-player-posting-extremist-groups/7068100002/

The usual suspects can now tell us "See!!  It isn't just Trump supporters and right wing extremists!!"  As if anyone every said that was ALL there was when all we did was just NOT ignore that they are there and really bad.

You ignore it all the time.  You even post smarmy dad tier memes about Antifa.  
https://www.vice.com/en/article/wx8wkb/republican-voters-are-eating-up-right-wing-lies-about-the-capitol-riot

Republican Voters Are Eating Up Right-Wing Lies About the Capitol Riot
Half of Republicans now believe the deadly insurrection was staged or that it was “mostly peaceful.”
PB
By Paul Blest
April 5, 2021, 6:45am

The United States Capitol Building in Washington, D.C. was breached by thousands of protesters during a "Stop The Steal" rally in support of President Donald Trump during the worldwide coronavirus pandemic, 1/6/21​ (Mihoko Owada/STAR MAX/IPx File)
STAR MAX FILE PHOTO: THE UNITED STATES CAPITOL BUILDING IN WASHINGTON, D.C. WAS BREACHED BY THOUSANDS OF PROTESTERS DURING A "STOP THE STEAL" RALLY IN SUPPORT OF PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP DURING THE WORLDWIDE CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC, 1/6/21 (MIHOKO OWADA/STAR MAX/IPX FILE)
Five people died as a result of the Capitol riot on January 6, and more than 400 have been charged in connection with the attack, which sought to stop the certification of President Joe Biden’s election victory.

Despite all the evidence to the contrary, half of Republicans believe the riot wasn’t an attempt by the far-right to keep Donald Trump in the White House, according to a Reuters/Ipsos poll released Monday. Instead, half of GOP voters said it was staged by left-wing activists or that it was “mostly peaceful.”

ADVERTISEMENT

The poll was conducted March 30 and 31 and surveyed 1,005 people.

The overwhelming majority of those arrested have attributed their actions at least in part to believing the presidential election was stolen from Trump. But in the three months since the attack, there’s been a huge push from Republican elected officials and conservative media to rebrand the Capitol attack as having nothing to do with Trump and not really a big deal in the first place.

In March, Trump told Fox News that there was “zero threat right from the start” at the Capitol and some alleged rioters were being “persecuted.”

Sen. Ron Johnson, a Wisconsin Republican, said in a radio interview last month that he “never really felt threatened" during the riot at the Capitol, adding that he believed those at the Capitol were "people that love this country, that truly respect law enforcement, would never do anything to break a law."

“Had the tables been turned and President Donald Trump won the election and those were thousands of Black Lives Matter and antifa protesters I would have been concerned,” he added.

During a Senate hearing in February, Johnson pushed the conspiracy theory that “fake Trump supporters” were responsible for the attack. And he wasn’t the only one—several Fox News hosts and Johsnon’s Republican colleagues in Congress began boosting that lie on the very day of the insurrection, according to NPR.

“Now they were likely not all Trump supporters and there are some reports that antifa sympathizers may have been sprinkled throughout the crowd,” Fox host Laura Ingraham said at the beginning of her January 6 broadcast.

In the 24 hours following the attack, the lie that antifa carried out the attack was mentioned online more than 411,000 times, according to the MIT Technology Review.

While Republicans are split on the nature of the attack, eight in 10 Democrats and six in ten independents predictably do not believe the conspiracy theories, according to Reuters. A majority of Republicans also believe the election was stolen from Trump and that he should run for a second non-consecutive term in 2024, the poll found.

“Republicans have their own version of reality,” John Geer, a co-director of Vanderbilt University’s polling program, told Reuters. “It is a huge problem. Democracy requires accountability and accountability requires evidence."
Are we comparing to the attack on the Capitol by perfectly (sorta') sane people, and a man with mental problems that ran over a cop? You guys have me confused here. Is there still some doubt as to what really happened on Jan. 6th?
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
(04-07-2021, 09:30 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Are we comparing to the attack on the Capitol by perfectly (sorta') sane people, and a man with mental problems that ran over a cop?  You guys have me confused here.  Is there still some doubt as to what really happened on Jan. 6th?

Before we knew who the driver was there was a blast of "here we go again".  I think we all know there was a difference here, at least so far based on what we have been told.
I know we don't need even more proof that Trump was a feckless "leader" and that he wanted the chaos of 1/6 but here it is anyway.

https://apnews.com/article/capitol-siege-army-racial-injustice-riots-only-on-ap-480e95d9d075a0a946e837c3156cdcb9
The name of the officer who shot and killed someone on 1/6 has not only been made public but was blasted out by Tucker Carlson (among others I assume).

So I found these two tweets, almost one year apart, funny in a "what is wrong with some people" kind of way.

[Image: E9xXPioUcAQAjnI?format=jpg&name=medium][Image: E9xXPwRVEAYjOq7?format=jpg&name=large]
(04-05-2021, 03:36 PM)TheUberHuber Wrote: https://www.vice.com/en/article/wx8wkb/republican-voters-are-eating-up-right-wing-lies-about-the-capitol-riot

Republican Voters Are Eating Up Right-Wing Lies About the Capitol Riot
Half of Republicans now believe the deadly insurrection was staged or that it was “mostly peaceful.”
PB
By Paul Blest
April 5, 2021, 6:45am

The United States Capitol Building in Washington, D.C. was breached by thousands of protesters during a "Stop The Steal" rally in support of President Donald Trump during the worldwide coronavirus pandemic, 1/6/21​ (Mihoko Owada/STAR MAX/IPx File)
STAR MAX FILE PHOTO: THE UNITED STATES CAPITOL BUILDING IN WASHINGTON, D.C. WAS BREACHED BY THOUSANDS OF PROTESTERS DURING A "STOP THE STEAL" RALLY IN SUPPORT OF PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP DURING THE WORLDWIDE CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC, 1/6/21 (MIHOKO OWADA/STAR MAX/IPX FILE)
Five people died as a result of the Capitol riot on January 6, and more than 400 have been charged in connection with the attack, which sought to stop the certification of President Joe Biden’s election victory.

Despite all the evidence to the contrary, half of Republicans believe the riot wasn’t an attempt by the far-right to keep Donald Trump in the White House, according to a Reuters/Ipsos poll released Monday. Instead, half of GOP voters said it was staged by left-wing activists or that it was “mostly peaceful.”

ADVERTISEMENT

The poll was conducted March 30 and 31 and surveyed 1,005 people.

The overwhelming majority of those arrested have attributed their actions at least in part to believing the presidential election was stolen from Trump. But in the three months since the attack, there’s been a huge push from Republican elected officials and conservative media to rebrand the Capitol attack as having nothing to do with Trump and not really a big deal in the first place.

In March, Trump told Fox News that there was “zero threat right from the start” at the Capitol and some alleged rioters were being “persecuted.”

Sen. Ron Johnson, a Wisconsin Republican, said in a radio interview last month that he “never really felt threatened" during the riot at the Capitol, adding that he believed those at the Capitol were "people that love this country, that truly respect law enforcement, would never do anything to break a law."

“Had the tables been turned and President Donald Trump won the election and those were thousands of Black Lives Matter and antifa protesters I would have been concerned,” he added.

During a Senate hearing in February, Johnson pushed the conspiracy theory that “fake Trump supporters” were responsible for the attack. And he wasn’t the only one—several Fox News hosts and Johsnon’s Republican colleagues in Congress began boosting that lie on the very day of the insurrection, according to NPR.

“Now they were likely not all Trump supporters and there are some reports that antifa sympathizers may have been sprinkled throughout the crowd,” Fox host Laura Ingraham said at the beginning of her January 6 broadcast.

In the 24 hours following the attack, the lie that antifa carried out the attack was mentioned online more than 411,000 times, according to the MIT Technology Review.

While Republicans are split on the nature of the attack, eight in 10 Democrats and six in ten independents predictably do not believe the conspiracy theories, according to Reuters. A majority of Republicans also believe the election was stolen from Trump and that he should run for a second non-consecutive term in 2024, the poll found.

“Republicans have their own version of reality,” John Geer, a co-director of Vanderbilt University’s polling program, told Reuters. “It is a huge problem. Democracy requires accountability and accountability requires evidence."

Not sure there were thousands that breached the Capitol. Unless he’s talking about the area and not the building.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

I'm just mentally filing away people who were ok with shooting an unarmed person (which btw includes myself) for the next time they complain that law enforcement shot an unarmed person.

Further explanation for the super dense among us, unarmed is not analogous with not dangerous.
(08-27-2021, 12:50 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I'm just mentally filing away people who were ok with shooting an unarmed person (which btw includes myself) for the next time they complain that law enforcement shot an unarmed person.

Further explanation for the super dense among us, unarmed is not analogous with not dangerous.

When I see this shooting I cant help but think how people never picture themselves being the first one to go when charging the proverbial hill. 

They don't have the firepower to kill all of you, but it may require that sacrificial first wave. 

At any rate, the big difference here is that One person in a large violent mob was shot.  Numbers matter.
(08-27-2021, 01:17 PM)Nately120 Wrote: When I see this shooting I cant help but think how people never picture themselves being the first one to go when charging the proverbial hill. 

They don't have the firepower to kill all of you, but it may require that sacrificial first wave. 

It's that way with any of these types of situations.  It takes a group of highly disciplined people to execute any such type of activity, especially when you know being shot is a distinct possibility.  That's why they tend to happen organically, and often within that accidentally.
(08-27-2021, 01:21 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: It's that way with any of these types of situations.  It takes a group of highly disciplined people to execute any such type of activity, especially when you know being shot is a distinct possibility.  That's why they tend to happen organically, and often within that accidentally.

Right, people who say they will fight to the death when the government comes to take their guns, or people who say they'd run at a mass shooter...its unlikely. 

There is a reason the army has to train people to not freak out when they are in danger, and even then it's a roll of the dice.  Everyone has a hero fantasy, no one has a "I'll get shot and the rest of the group will back off" fantasy. 

Act in haste, repent in leisure. 
But more on topic, I would argue that a mob is "armed" with the potentially deadly advantage of numbers even if the individual is not armed with a traditional weapon. A mob almost becomes a singular, powerful and potentially deadly entity in itself.
(08-27-2021, 12:50 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I'm just mentally filing away people who were ok with shooting an unarmed person (which btw includes myself) for the next time they complain that law enforcement shot an unarmed person.

That's a bad faith argument, and I venture to believe you know that. A person being shot "unarmed" participating in an attack on the U.S. capitol is different then being shot while going about their normal every day life. Being shot while "unarmed" while trying to breach a secure area with people in the line of succession to be President is different than being shot while during a traffic stop. 

Unarmed is not analogous with not dangerous correct but that’s not what we are talking about here. Participating in a terroristic event that puts national security at risk kind of trumps a lot of rights and protections. If a person rushes the POTUS there is a relatively common understanding that person will most likely be shot without question because of national security implications. There is a fair argument to be made all those who were at the door could have, and potentially should have, been fired on because of the national security threat they posed at that moment. 

I'm disappointed the Babbitt stuff found it's way here to be honest because she was a terrorist and trying to compare stopping a terrorist during an attack on the country to other events of every day citizens is in bad taste.
(08-27-2021, 05:04 PM)Au165 Wrote: That's a bad faith argument, and I venture to believe you know that. A person being shot "unarmed" participating in an attack on the U.S. capitol is different then being shot while going about their normal every day life. Being shot while "unarmed" while trying to breach a secure area with people in the line of succession to be President is different than being shot while during a traffic stop. 

Unarmed is not analogous with not dangerous correct but that’s not what we are talking about here.  Participating in a terroristic event that puts national security at risk kind of trumps a lot of rights and protections. If a person rushes the POTUS there is a relatively common understanding that person will most likely be shot without question because of national security implications. There is a fair argument to be made all those who were at the door could have, and potentially should have, been fired on because of the national security threat they posed at that moment. 

I'm disappointed the Babbitt stuff found it's way here to be honest because she was a terrorist and trying to compare stopping a terrorist during an attack on the country to other events of every day citizens is in bad taste.

Not according to Dill, he has zero problem with comparing Americans to Nazis and the Taliban.  But seriously, I get what you're saying, but you're also making a bad faith counter argument by stating unarmed people get shot by law enforcement "while going about their daily life", as if there's slews of examples of law enforcement just shooting someone out of the blue who was grocery shopping.

The point I am making, and it's in no way a bad faith one, is that being "unarmed" is frequently used by anti law enforcement types to declare a shooting a bad one.  As stated, being unarmed is not analogous to being not dangerous.  So, with this agreement in hand I'll be very pleased to see a more nuanced view of law enforcement shootings from this point forward.  Simply stating "they were unarmed" is not an argument in itself as to why a shooting was justified or not.  Hell, there are still people trying to say the Ohio shooting of the girl in the midst of stabbing someone was a bad shooting.  
(08-27-2021, 01:36 PM)Nately120 Wrote: But more on topic, I would argue that a mob is "armed" with the potentially deadly advantage of numbers even if the individual is not armed with a traditional weapon.  A mob almost becomes a singular, powerful and potentially deadly entity in itself.

Careful, you're opening the door to law enforcement using deadly force during riots with this argument.
(08-27-2021, 06:26 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Careful, you're opening the door to law enforcement using deadly force during riots with this argument.

It's still a bit more specific than that.  When a riot breaks into a secured and guarded area and expresses intention to harm/kill someone you are assigned to protect...well...that's bending over backwards to get some potentially lethal force sent your way, yes.

We can never prove that group wasn't going to literally tear Nancy Pelosi and/or Mike Pence apart, but I wouldn't have ruled it out.  But the variable you can't remove from this situation is that the mob had illegally entered a secured area they knew they weren't supposed to enter.  Any mob that breaks into a secured area should be subject to forceful defense like in this case.  These people went above and beyond a normal riot.

As a private citizen it's comparing someone throwing a rock through my window versus breaking into my house and saying "I'm here to kill your wife."
(08-27-2021, 07:45 PM)Nately120 Wrote: It's still a bit more specific than that.  When a riot breaks into a secured and guarded area and expresses intention to harm/kill someone you are assigned to protect...well...that's bending over backwards to get some potentially lethal force sent your way, yes.

We can never prove that group wasn't going to literally tear Nancy Pelosi and/or Mike Pence apart, but I wouldn't have ruled it out.  But the variable you can't remove from this situation is that the mob had illegally entered a secured area they knew they weren't supposed to enter.  Any mob that breaks into a secured area should be subject to forceful defense like in this case.  These people went above and beyond a normal riot.

As a private citizen it's comparing someone throwing a rock through my window versus breaking into my house and saying "I'm here to kill your wife."

I agree with your assessment.  Let me throw a different, real world scenario, at you.  In Portland they tried to set an occupied police station on fire.  Would law enforcement be justified in shooting the people in that crowd at that point?

https://nypost.com/2021/04/14/riot-declared-in-portland-after-police-station-set-on-fire/