Thread Rating:
  • 12 Vote(s) - 1.67 Average
Storming Of The Capitol Building
(01-08-2021, 01:25 PM)Millhouse Wrote: True but on the flipside Trump still hasnt conceded spreading lies and false propaganda that the election was 'rigged and stolen' from him. That is ultimately what led to what happened at the Capitol, and who knows what else it may lead to here in the next couple of weeks.

This may sound like splitting hairs, but I believe it is a valid distinction.

I believe the main reason there was such a big riot Wednesday was that Trump was telling his followers that there was still a way to overturn the election.  The protestors were not rioting about the failure on election day.  Instead they were rioting over the robbery that took place Wednesday.

I believe that even if Trump had continued to say the election was stolen there would not have been a riot Wednesday if he had just admitted that there was nothing that could be done on Wednesday to overturn the results.
(01-08-2021, 11:55 AM)GMDino Wrote: The problem being that like groups like BLM there isn't an organized group.  Can we identify who is in it? Sure.  Unlike BLM there is a "leader".  But I don't know if they are an "organization" like ISIS or the KKK.

Maybe someone else has some insight on those things?

You're mistaking organized with centralized.  All of these types of groups are organized, they just aren't united under one command group.  Actually the easiest way to identify anyone from one of these groups is the same way you can identify gang members.  Clothing they where, slogans they spout, pictures they post.  Every group has it's own identity in this regard, it's how they identify each other.  It's almost like a soldier's uniform, you have to have a way to identify friend from foe.

(01-08-2021, 12:15 PM)Au165 Wrote: I mean they seemed pretty organized leading up to Wednesday over on Parler. 

Eh, in this way they are no different than any similar group.  Rose City Antifa and other far left groups do the exact same thing, as do other far right groups.  I go into a little more detail above, but this isn't unique to them or evidence of a centralized command structure.
(01-08-2021, 01:30 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This may sound like splitting hairs, but I believe it is a valid distinction.

I believe the main reason there was such a big riot Wednesday was that Trump was telling his followers that there was still a way to overturn the election.  The protestors were not rioting about the failure on election day.  Instead they were rioting over the robbery that took place Wednesday.

I believe that even if Trump had continued to say the election was stolen there would not have been a riot Wednesday if he had just admitted that there was nothing that could be done on Wednesday to overturn the results.

That's the issue with Trump, he knows, or at least should know that storming the capitol won't change things, but he doesn't care.  Hey, I'll lead the charge because we're going to go in there and demand Mike Pence make things right.

1.  Trump didn't go with them as promised
2.  Pence has no power to give Trump the election
3.  There is no evidence the election was stolen from Trump
4.  storming the capitol has no power to undo an election either way

Nothing good could come from it, 4 people died, one of which was a police officer just doing his job.  Trump just sent people off to cause destruction, desecrate the flag, and kill/be killed because he figured it would make him look good.  This made it clear that following Trump is becoming more of a cult thing, because you can't have the main GOP savior getting people fired up to harm republican politicians. 

Oh and multiple republicans who were planning to protest the vote declined to do so after Trump's liberating force invaded...so even if you think the election needs to be overturned, this grand plan made doing so even harder.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
And now we can add cop killer to the blue lives matter crowd..
(01-08-2021, 01:47 PM)TheUberHuber Wrote: And now we can add cop killer to the blue lives matter crowd..

What is one cop's life when you get to put a MAGA hat and flag on a Gerald Ford statue?  Come on, that's some grade A patriotism, there! Ninja
I'm sure our enemies foreign and domestic are taking notes on just how easy it is getting into a building holding both all House and Senate members. As bad as what happened was, I seen people(terrorist) carrying in backpacks unchecked into the Capital, it could've been much, much worse. Can you imagine if just one of those scumbags were carrying a suitcase nuke or other mass destruction device in one of those backpacks.

I am not at all surprised at what happened the other day, I said so here as it was happening. What I was amazed to see is just how far, they the terrorist, had penetrated the Capitol and that only one of them were killed trying to overthrow the most powerful government on the face of the earth.

At least 4 people died the other day, including a police officer, and for no GOOD reason whatsoever.
(01-08-2021, 04:12 PM)BrownAssClown Wrote: I'm sure our enemies foreign and domestic are taking notes on just how easy it is getting into a building holding both all House and Senate members. As bad as what happened at was, I seen people(terrorist) carrying in backpacks unchecked into the Capital, it could've been much, much worse. Can you imagine if just one of those scumbags were carrying a suitcase nuke or other mass destruction device in one of those backpacks.

I am not at all surprised at what happened the other day, I said so here as it was happening. What I was amazed to see is just how far, they the terrorist, had penetrated the Capitol and that only one of them were killed trying to overthrow the most powerful government on the face of the earth.

At least 4 people died the other day, including a police officer, and for no GOOD reason whatsoever.

This is why you shouldn't elect a president who will judge whether or not the national guard should be deployed based upon who is doing the attacking.
(01-08-2021, 01:30 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This may sound like splitting hairs, but I believe it is a valid distinction.

Possibly, dont think we will ever know for sure. Either way though his false rhetoric about it being stolen definitely layed the groundwork leading up to it. Him not conceding combined with his rhetoric, and telling those to march on the Capitol lit the powder keg.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Not a cult...

(01-08-2021, 04:12 PM)BrownAssClown Wrote: I'm sure our enemies foreign and domestic are taking notes on just how easy it is getting into a building holding both all House and Senate members. As bad as what happened was, I seen people(terrorist) carrying in backpacks unchecked into the Capital, it could've been much, much worse. Can you imagine if just one of those scumbags were carrying a suitcase nuke or other mass destruction device in one of those backpacks.

I couldn't agree more. As bad as that display was we are so lucky it didn't turn out drastically worse. 
(01-08-2021, 04:12 PM)BrownAssClown Wrote: I'm sure our enemies foreign and domestic are taking notes on just how easy it is getting into a building holding both all House and Senate members. As bad as what happened at was, I seen people(terrorist) carrying in backpacks unchecked into the Capital, it could've been much, much worse. Can you imagine if just one of those scumbags were carrying a suitcase nuke or other mass destruction device in one of those backpacks.

Not worried about that. Everything will soon change and their budget will see massive increases.

This is the directions to get some awesome raspberries as told by one of my Mom's friends back in the early 90s
"Pull off onto Arctic Valley road. Drive a few miles and shortly after the golf course take the first left. Go about another mile until you see a big sign that says Fort Richardson Army Base DO NOT ENTER. Well, you drive about a half of a mile past that and look for the break in the trees on your right. Tons of raspberries."

Now, wanna guess how long that place was still accessible after 9/11? Maybe 10 minutes. Things will forever change at the capitol after Wednesday. Any budget for Capitol Hill Security will be passed very easily.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
(01-08-2021, 04:27 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote:  I couldn't agree more. As bad as that display was we are so lucky it didn't turn out drastically worse. 

We don't actually know how bad it was. Beyond the 5 dead there is the intelligence damage that could be massive. Battles aren't just fought with soldiers and bombs it is fought with intelligence and cyber espionage. Any device in that building could now be compromised by a foreign government that could lead to future loss of life and we won't know for a long time. 
(01-08-2021, 04:25 PM)Au165 Wrote: Not a cult...

Boy, enabling and defending Trump sure does pay off, doesn't it?  Who is next?  
(01-08-2021, 04:31 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Not worried about that. Everything will soon change and their budget will see massive increases.

This is the directions to get some awesome raspberries as told by one of my Mom's friends back in the early 90s
"Pull off onto Arctic Valley road. Drive a few miles and shortly after the golf course take the first left. Go about another mile until you see a big sign that says Fort Richardson Army Base DO NOT ENTER. Well, you drive about a half of a mile past that and look for the break in the trees on your right. Tons of raspberries."

Now, wanna guess how long that place was still accessible after 9/11? Maybe 10 minutes. Things will forever change at the capitol after Wednesday. Any budget for Capitol Hill Security will be passed very easily.

Yea...you would think that security will be beefed up after what we witnessed the other day, but why did it have to take so long? In the last 25 years or so we witnessed the Oklahoma City bombing, 9/11, an assassination attempt on Gabby Giffords, the 2017 shootings at a Congressional baseball game, more and more civil unrest in the streets and a President that refuses to except that he lost an election and work up some of his supporters to do what they tried to do the other day.
(01-08-2021, 04:52 PM)BrownAssClown Wrote: Yea...you would think that security will be beefed up after what we witnessed the other day, but why did it have to take so long? In the last 25 years or so we witnessed the Oklahoma City bombing, 9/11, an assassination attempt on Gabby Giffords, the 2017 shootings at a Congressional baseball game, more and more civil unrest in the streets and a President that refuses to except that he lost an election and work up some of his supporters to do what they tried to do the other day.

I can tell you that often you think the procedures in place are adequate.  You can run drills all you want, but you can't really know how effective your plans and procedures are until something like this actually happens.  You also have to work within a budget, which Forever just correctly pointed out will now see a massive increase.  At the end of the day it's fortunate that this lesson could be learned without more serious consequences.  I'm not saying the consequences weren't bad, but they could have been much worse.
(01-08-2021, 05:00 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I can tell you that often you think the procedures in place are adequate.  You can run drills all you want, but you can't really know how effective your plans and procedures are until something like this actually happens.  You also have to work within a budget, which Forever just correctly pointed out will now see a massive increase.  At the end of the day it's fortunate that this lesson could be learned without more serious consequences.  I'm not saying the consequences weren't bad, but they could have been much worse.

Looks like they had the budget when BLM came to DC.
(01-08-2021, 05:12 PM)BrownAssClown Wrote: Looks like they had the budget when BLM came to DC.

Different departments. Keep in mind that Capitol Police is who we are talking about, here, and they are a separate entity from the DoJ/DHS alphabet soup.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
The dude who had the picture with his feet up on Pelosi's desk has been arrested in Arkansas. These people are going to be shocked when they all end up with federal charges, almost like they didn't know breaking into the capitol was wrong.
(01-08-2021, 05:15 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Different departments. Keep in mind that Capitol Police is who we are talking about, here, and they are a separate entity from the DoJ/DHS alphabet soup.

Any thoughts on this pushing DC statehood forward a bit?

They could have had the National Guard ready and without waiting for Pence to send them in after Trump wouldn't (reportedly).
[Image: giphy.gif]
Warning: Reading signatures may hurt your feelings.
(01-08-2021, 05:38 PM)Au165 Wrote: The dude who had the picture with his feet up on Pelosi's desk has been arrested in Arkansas. These people are going to be shocked when they all end up with federal charges, almost like they didn't know breaking into the capitol was wrong.

Can't Trump just hit em all with a blanket pardon?