Thread Rating:
  • 12 Vote(s) - 1.67 Average
Storming Of The Capitol Building
(01-11-2021, 12:54 PM)Au165 Wrote: ...this happened

I saw that.

These people's cruelty and lack of morals is trumped only by their gullibility and inability to understand what is and is not real.
(01-08-2021, 10:27 PM)BrownAssClown Wrote: Look, I understand your stance when it comes to groups like Antifa. I also agree that ANY group that breaks the law and commits acts of violence and looting should be dealt with. I also understand your frustration that you think there was not enough being done to the lawbreakers in those cities. I agree.

Thank you.  It really bothers me that these groups get a pass for the reams of illegal things done under their flag.  Those actions are readily dismissed on the regular.

Quote:But if you think for one minute that groups like Antifa or BLM lives matter would've been allowed to storm the Capitol that easy, you're sadly mistaken. For one thing that mob that went to and invaded the Capitol were spurned on by Trump himself, but like the true coward Trump is he did not march down there with them like he said he would. Instead he hi-tailed it back to the White House to watch the scum of the earth do his bidding on TV and according to Ben Sasse, Trump was overjoyed with what was happening at the Capitol and was puzzled that others were not sharing his glee.

The one big difference I see between groups like Antifa/BLM and whatever you want to call those people that went down to the Capitol...
"Proud Boys", "Nazi's", "white supremacist", or just the "misguided", I'll just lump them together and call them 'The cult of Trump", anyway, they have the backing of the most powerful man in the world.That's the difference.

I think this may be a case of confirmation bias.  I think the Capitol police got caught with their pants down.  I also think, ironically, that it was all the protests against "police brutality" that largely stayed their hand.  We've created a damned if you do damned if you don't atmosphere for law enforcement.  It shouldn't be surprising that this is causing LEO's to doubt or second guess themselves in these types of scenarios.  Also, your point about Trump is true and well taken, but Antifa and BLM have scores of high level proponents as well, just not as highly placed as POTUS.
(01-08-2021, 10:13 PM)Au165 Wrote: Just imagine had he been held accountable, 5 people wouldn’t be dead now. That isn’t even getting into his intentional use of social media to spread disinformation about COVID that resulted in thousands of deaths.

Possibly, maybe even likely, but regardless it wasn't going to happen.  Twitter, and other such platforms, routinely enforce their ToS in a buffet style manner.  What would get X banned doesn't even result in a warning for Y.  This type of inconsistency, coupled with an almost 100% toxic atmosphere, is why I avoid Twitter like the plague.  I think it's the most toxic place on the entire planet.
(01-11-2021, 01:29 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote:  I think it's the most toxic place on the entire planet.

You never got a chance to visit Parler I see.
(01-11-2021, 01:29 PM)Au165 Wrote: You never got a chance to visit Parler I see.

Nah, no need.  I don't like social media in general (like most people around our age I would guess), so it had zero appeal for me.
(01-11-2021, 01:29 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Possibly, maybe even likely, but regardless it wasn't going to happen.  Twitter, and other such platforms, routinely enforce their ToS in a buffet style manner.  What would get X banned doesn't even result in a warning for Y.  This type of inconsistency, coupled with an almost 100% toxic atmosphere, is why I avoid Twitter like the plague.  I think it's the most toxic place on the entire planet.

I think this is a big problem, to be honest. But, it also means that they have let some people, like Trump, get away with a lot of things in violation of their ToS, for a long time. In fact, I am of the opinion that they should hold those in positions of power to higher standards. I think the blue check mark should come with an understanding that you will be under more intense scrutiny and that they will be more likely to hand you a suspension for your bullshit.

Now, all of this being said, the perception that the censorship from Facebook and Twitter comes unevenly for conservatives and liberals isn't from a position of partisan bias. The reason it happens is because conservatives are more likely to spread false news and violate ToS. That doesn't mean that there aren't liberals falling into that trap, but Facebook did a study sometime during the Trump presidency and discovered that if they were to apply their ToS as even-handedly as possible, conservatives would face violations beyond the rate liberals do. It's a no-win for the tech companies.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(01-11-2021, 01:52 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: That doesn't mean that there aren't liberals falling into that trap, but Facebook did a study sometime during the Trump presidency and discovered that if they were to apply their ToS as even-handedly as possible, conservatives would face violations beyond the rate liberals do. It's a no-win for the tech companies.

In addition, it showed older people, in general, were more likely to fall for misinformation. This also coincides with conservatives simply by the general age demographics at large with the current political makeup.
(01-11-2021, 01:54 PM)Au165 Wrote: In addition, it showed older people, in general, were more likely to fall for misinformation. This also coincides with conservatives simply by the general age demographics at large with the current political makeup.

That's what happens when you go all PC and tell people that they get wiser just by existing longer than others.  What a bunch of feel-good bs.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(01-11-2021, 01:34 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Nah, no need.  I don't like social media in general (like most people around our age I would guess), so it had zero appeal for me.

[Image: Eq7hYCiUUAEGI7I.jpg]
[Image: ErKJyT4WMAsy2o0.jpg]
[Image: tbf1xkioluz51.jpg?width=750&format=pjpg&...a2f62832f3]
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSGtbmLvEAPDZOuQQ-7ymn...Q&usqp=CAU]
[Image: EhG8qMTWAAIJhg5?format=jpg&name=small]
This one has the f bomb so if you want to read it, click away
https://www.thebexarcountyjail.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/Proud-Boys-threat-271x300.png
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
On a happier note Officer Goodman shows how you can lead a bunch of racist dbag just by making them think they were right.

He see the crowd, sees the doors to the chamber are not locked and draws them in the opposite direction by pretending he doesn't want them to go that way.

These dumbass rioters were literally fooled like they were in a Warner Bros cartoon.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(01-11-2021, 02:01 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: [Image: Eq7hYCiUUAEGI7I.jpg]
[Image: ErKJyT4WMAsy2o0.jpg]
[Image: tbf1xkioluz51.jpg?width=750&format=pjpg&...a2f62832f3]
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSGtbmLvEAPDZOuQQ-7ymn...Q&usqp=CAU]
[Image: EhG8qMTWAAIJhg5?format=jpg&name=small]
This one has the f bomb so if you want to read it, click away
https://www.thebexarcountyjail.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/Proud-Boys-threat-271x300.png

None of that is surprising to me.  It's pretty common fodder for every extremist "meeting place" online.
Well I mean he took an oath and all so can we doubt him?

(01-11-2021, 02:56 PM)GMDino Wrote: Well I mean he took an oath and all so can we doubt him?

The"Opinion:" in that title is doing a lot of work haha.
(01-07-2021, 09:29 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I can't believe that there isn't a thread about this.

A few things:

-People are complaining that tear gas wasn't used and force wasn't used.  Tear gas was used in one section outside the building.  

-They weren't rioting just to steal things like the people did in all of the riots where a black person was killed by police, which is why tear gas wasn't used.

-they weren't stealing anything.    

-they were standing up because they feel that the government gave Biden the election, which the Declaration of Independence states that it is the right and the duty of the people to overthrow the government when it is doing wrong.

Are people just going to ignore the glaring contradictions out of fear of being called racist?

This post is incredibly disturbing for a variety of reasons. It demonstrates the lengths people will go to in order to defend the indefensible. What occurred during the attack on the Capital was sedition / treason. Some involved had planned on taking members of Congress (including the VPOTUS) hostage or doing them physical harm. Any attempt to rationalize, equivocate or downplay the actuality of what happened is to demonstrate an alarming level of moral depravity. 

Even more concerning is the utter and total disregard for facts and reality in favor of propaganda and preferred narratives, often fed by purposeful misinformation and nefarious intent. I continue to be disheartened by the increasingly prevalent lack of critical thinking, honest examination and objectivity when it comes to our political discourse and interactions. It almost as if embracing / displaying the very worst of our nature is now a badge of honor --- tribal ignorance masquerading as ideological superiority.
(01-11-2021, 03:08 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: The"Opinion:" in that title is doing a lot of work haha.

Must not have been able to handle the workload.

[Image: EreZo4YVoAAvjYI?format=jpg&name=large]
(01-11-2021, 05:03 PM)Lucidus Wrote: Even more concerning is the utter and total disregard for facts and reality in favor of propaganda and preferred narratives, often fed by purposeful misinformation and nefarious intent. I continue to be disheartened by the increasingly prevalent lack of critical thinking, honest examination and objectivity when it comes to our political discourse and interactions. It almost as if embracing / displaying the very worst of our nature is now a badge of honor --- tribal ignorance masquerading as ideological superiority.

It is not really that "intentional".  Most people spread propaganda because that is all they here on the places they go for nws and information.

The comments you hear about the "main stream media" almost always come from people who never watch ant news source except from the right wing echo chamber.  I lean strongly to the left but i actually watch a lot of Fox news.  So I realize what they are doing when they pull one sentence out of context to try and spread their message.  perfect example was Carlson the other night talking about how the mainstream media "encourages violence and looting" then they post a short clip of Cuomo from CNN saying that protestors "don't have to be polite".  Now I have personally seen Chris Cuomo talk about how unacceptable the violence and looting form BLM protests is.  But FoxNews never shows anything like that.  Instead they take a comment that had nothing to do with endorsing violence and looting and tell their viewers that is what he is doing.  Same thing with comments about "police reform" being sold on Fox as "the left hates the police".

So I don't think Brad was intentionally posting false propaganda.  Instead he was just repeating what he has been told over and over again from the right-wing sources where he gets all his information.  same thing with the people posting here about how they have never heard anyone from the left show any concern for the safety of police.  I could find tons of direct quote from commentators on CNN who showed concern for th safety of police.

When people from the right attack what the left says they are usually attacking what their right wing news source tells them the left is saying. 
He'll try it again before the 20th.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

(01-11-2021, 07:30 PM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: He'll try it again before the 20th.

I'd lay heavy odds against that.  While I didn't foresee what happened last week I think even Trump knows what thin ice he is on now.

He may not but his followers will.  I expect violence at the inauguration for sure, or at least n DC when it takes place.  I also expect it in states.  The rhetoric is not being toned down in any way.  They are now cocooned on makeshift social media startups hyperventilating and being exposed to even more extreme right propaganda.  I'm talking Q types and actual unapologetic white separatists.  

This country, I'm afraid, is getting ready to deal with a true facist movement that has no inclination to pretend it's part of any party other than the cult of MAGA.  

It's going to get ugly(er).  Act accordingly.

NG people I know are being called up to "active duty" because of the threats.  These right wingers are crazy and dangerous.