Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strategy at the End of First Half
(11-15-2016, 11:44 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: Anybody remember when Palmer never took the free shot and always knelt instead.

I had conveniently blocked that out of my memory.... That was just noob play
Reply/Quote
The biggest aggravation to me is that it's a great time to get some real game experience with the 2 minute drill, and we just waste it with give up plays. Of course, the D has to be able to get the ball back,but that's another story.

It's just a microcosm of Marvin game management. He'll go for it on 4th and 1 on the opposing team's 5 yard line instead of taking the FG, but won't even attempt a 2 minute drill unless it's the 4th quarter.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Remember the announcer saying he thought Marvin should call a TO to save time for his offense.

Just laughed remembering how he did not want to try at Cleveland until the fans were going crazy and Hue called a TO to try and get ball back for Browns to try.

Then and only then did Marvin get aggressive and actually try and was rewarded with a Hail Mary TD.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2016, 09:21 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I chalk it up to hard to please fans attempting to blame Marvin for everything. In the game day thread before the drive everybody that "knows" how Marvin coaches was saying kneel down or run, run, run. He does run to the outside on first down to see if we can catch them in prevent and pick up a good deal of yardage. Doesn't work very well, and we pass on every down after that. As to the urgency: I'd have to ask the OC and the QB, as to why they didn't put a little fire under the team.

Well.....it's kinda the HC's job to hold them all accountable on that.  If a squad screws up, does the brass chew the private's ass, or the sergeant's? Marvin even said into his headset late in the 4th quarter that a delay of game was on him.  It's beyond time for accountability with this team.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
It's called playing not to lose and/or playing with fear. Marvin is more concerned about incompletions and clock stoppage which would let the other team have a chance.

This is a chicken Sh!t mentality and why Marv needs to go.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2016, 11:44 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: Anybody remember when Palmer never took the free shot and always knelt instead.

I NEVER understood that, it always infuriated me.  You've got one of the strongest arms in the NFL, along with one of the best receivers in Chad Johnson, throw it 50 yards downfield and hope for the best.
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2016, 12:16 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: I NEVER understood that, it always infuriated me.  You've got one of the strongest arms in the NFL, along with one of the best receivers in Chad Johnson, throw it 50 yards downfield and hope for the best.

It was often because the center snapped it when he saw the guy cross.  Nobody was ready to do anything. It's different than when someone jumps off right before the snap.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(11-15-2016, 12:11 PM)NKYRob Wrote: I haven't seen this addressed yet in Jungle Noise so if I missed it my apologies.  I'm just curious why this team is so opposed to attempting to put a drive together at the end of the first half.  In the second quarter yesterday they got the ball with a minute left and a timeout in their pocket.  Instead of going hurry up they ran two plays draining about 45 seconds off the clock, a quick third play followed by the timeout, then chucked a hail mary.  Why are they so opposed to trying to put together a drive at the end of the half? This doesn't just apply to this game either.  Maybe they're just so used to Marvin burning all of the timeouts in the first quarter that they don't even put together a plan for these situations.

I can only guess why we just sat down like that, a FG would have made the difference between a win and what occurred, a loss.

Basically Marv is just a *****. It wasn't safe to play it aggressively so we sat down.

Reply/Quote
(11-17-2016, 11:24 AM)BengalChris Wrote: I can only guess why we just sat down like that, a FG would have made the difference between a win and what occurred, a loss.

Basically Marv is just a *****. It wasn't safe to play it aggressively so we sat down.

Although it was before Marvin's time, the ghost of Gus Ferrotte's left-handed pick 6 still haunts this team. LOL
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(11-17-2016, 10:55 AM)michaelsean Wrote: It was often because the center snapped it when he saw the guy cross.  Nobody was ready to do anything.  It's different than when someone jumps off right before the snap.

Totally disagree.  I see NFL teams take advantage of the "free play" all the time, especially those with quarterbacks who are adept at getting guys to jump.  It was simply a no guts plan that the Bengals used for years.
Reply/Quote
As I think more about it, if there is one coach in the whole damn league that should NOT be afraid to coach aggressively, whether it be at the end of a half or at any other point in the game, it's Lewis.

You'd think a guy who has a job for life would be quite liberal in the way he goes about his duties. Instead he's scared of the clock and unsure of when to utilize a timeout. And it's only been this way for about....oh I don't know.....13 years.

Another bold, italicized and underlined reason as to why Lewis should not hold the title of Head Coach.
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2016, 12:06 PM)Daddy-O Wrote: It's called playing not to lose and/or playing with fear.  Marvin is more concerned about incompletions and clock stoppage which would let the other team have a chance.

This is a chicken Sh!t mentality and why Marv needs to go.

Agree Marvin plays not to lose too much. It becomes taxing as a fan.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2016, 12:04 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Totally disagree.  I see NFL teams take advantage of the "free play" all the time, especially those with quarterbacks who are adept at getting guys to jump.  It was simply a no guts plan that the Bengals used for years.

No.  If you watch, these were plays where the ball was snapped prematurely.  You will get your QB killed if you continue on because the line isn't ready.  You see people take advantage of it when it happens right before the planned snap.

Reply/Quote

(11-16-2016, 12:16 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: I NEVER understood that, it always infuriated me.  You've got one of the strongest arms in the NFL, along with one of the best receivers in Chad Johnson, throw it 50 yards downfield and hope for the best.

It was something that upset me as well. I know a lot of people pointed the finger at Palmer for it, but I wondered if it was under instruction of Bratkowski. I've seen a couple of Arizona games and when they have a free play, Palmer goes for it.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2016, 05:29 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: It was something that upset me as well. I know a lot of people pointed the finger at Palmer for it, but I wondered if it was under instruction of Bratkowski. I've seen a couple of Arizona games and when they have a free play, Palmer goes for it.

I think it was Brat or Marvin as well, I've also seen Palmer try for the big play in Arizona.  Palmer is pretty good at getting guys to jump.  I always thought they should be like an Aikman or Rodgers and just let it fly.
Reply/Quote
Lewis is more afraid of turning the ball over to allow his opponent a chance at more points going into halftime than trying to get more points for the Bengals. I especially notice this "tactic" if the Bengals are going to get the ball to start the third quarter.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-15-2016, 12:15 PM)Wyche Wrote: I was pissed beyond comprehension with that.  Absolutely no excuse to not get at least a FG at that point.  The passing game was working, and Dalton was hitting every pass......and we start off with a run. Mellow

Yes, the end of the half strategy is one that boggles me.  Is Marvin that scared of the possibility of something going wrong, that he won't attempt to seize momentum going into the locker room?  I realize that they blew it on 1st and goal, from the INT return, but that is no reason to not want to capitalize upon your team gaining some traction in the game.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2016, 11:50 AM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: I think it was Brat or Marvin as well, I've also seen Palmer try for the big play in Arizona.  Palmer is pretty good at getting guys to jump.  I always thought they should be like an Aikman or Rodgers and just let it fly.

It had to be Brat. We've seen Dalton go for it on free plays.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2016, 12:11 PM)NKYRob Wrote: I haven't seen this addressed yet in Jungle Noise so if I missed it my apologies.  I'm just curious why this team is so opposed to attempting to put a drive together at the end of the first half.  In the second quarter yesterday they got the ball with a minute left and a timeout in their pocket.  Instead of going hurry up they ran two plays draining about 45 seconds off the clock, a quick third play followed by the timeout, then chucked a hail mary.  Why are they so opposed to trying to put together a drive at the end of the half? This doesn't just apply to this game either.  Maybe they're just so used to Marvin burning all of the timeouts in the first quarter that they don't even put together a plan for these situations.

We are never aggressive right before the half it seems.. well except vs Cleveland this year. I can understand if we had a 2+ score lead.  but it just seems marvin is stuck in a permanent "play not to lose mentality"  instead of going for the win like going for it on 4th and inches.
Reply/Quote

Very frustrating to say the least.

Marv has to go. This team is not terrible, especially on Offense. We never push it, never.

It would be different if every once in awhile this happened but we just don't, ever.

We take a knee before the half more than any team in the league.

Our coach lacks aggressiveness.
Reply/Quote