Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strength , Conditioning and Medical Appreciation Thread
Not enough praise for these three components, what a job they did in offseason and during season, when did we experience such a overall healthy team and little rehab set backs. Say what u want about talent and coaching, one big variable normally in making playoffs is staying healthy.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Great call. How many opening day starters are they down? I don’t think it’s very many. In years past you could pretty much count on several significant success crippling injuries. Most teams deal with them, I know, but the bengals seem to have the golden horseshoe this time…for once. Let’s cross fingers COVID doesn’t ruin everything.
Reply/Quote
Light years better than what had become the norm.
Reply/Quote
They've had a lot of plain dumb luck too, but I think having a lot of great players helps to keep each other a bit more healthy. They don't have as many mediocre guys beside the really good players exposing them to the same hits, etc.. Last year they had a few key injuries early and it just snowballed the rest of they way. They didn't have great players side by side by side by side with bubble players interspersed everywhere. This season? not so much..  It's tough to argue against the training staff. They've done great this year and the past few years as well, but it really helps to have the talent on the field.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I don't think medical/training staffs can do a lot to prevent injuries. Those are mostly just luck.

But proper diagnosis and rehab of the problems are key to getting as many healthy players on the field as possible. They seem to have done a fine job of that this year.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2022, 02:29 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't think medical/training staffs can do a lot to prevent injuries.  Those are mostly just luck.

But proper diagnosis and rehab of the problems are key to getting as many healthy players on the field as possible.  They seem to have done a fine job of that this year.

A strength coach who really hypes shoulder strength would build muscles to protect the shoulder from injury.  That could prevent a rotator cuff tear.
A strength and conditioning coach may focus on lower back strength which protects your discs.  I believe strength coaches can help prevent injuries.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2022, 03:22 PM)M.W. Wrote: A strength coach who really hypes shoulder strength would build muscles to protect the shoulder from injury.  That could prevent a rotator cuff tear.
A strength and conditioning coach may focus on lower back strength which protects your discs.  I believe strength coaches can help prevent injuries.

It is a huge balancing act.  You want strong muscles for joint stability but you don't want them so developed that the muscles can actually weaken the ligaments and tendons.  The joints will always be the weak spot in the body.  Flexibility actually prevents more injuries than strength does.   There are so many injuries that will occur regardless of how physically strong you are especially when you are getting hit by someone or many ones equally strong or stronger or if you are hit awkwardly.  If they fall at just the right angle that shoulder is going to dislocate despite strong shoulders.  Someone with lower back strength gets a knee directly to the back is going to be hurt.  Their foot gets caught in the turf as they are being hit and they have a lower leg injury.  

Kudos though to the training staff.  Every injured player has sung the praises of Nick Cosgray in getting them back on the field.  Over the years they have diversified their medical staff across multiple different practices rather than relying on a single group and have become less relunctant to obtain outside opinions which I believe has strengthened that group

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(01-08-2022, 03:22 PM)M.W. Wrote: A strength coach who really hypes shoulder strength would build muscles to protect the shoulder from injury.  That could prevent a rotator cuff tear.

If you concentrate on one body part then you make the other parts of the body weaker.  I am pretty sure every NFL strength coach has guys working out all of their body parts.

And making shoulder muscles stronger won't keep the tendons of the rotator cuff from tearing.
Reply/Quote
I am pretty sure we have the same medical/training staff as we had last year when we got destroyed by injuries.

I am not bashing the training staff. Like I said, it looks like they do a great job diagnosing and treating the injuries. I just don't think ANY traininstaff can do a lot to prevent injuries.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2022, 04:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If you concentrate on one body part then you make the other parts of the body weaker.  I am pretty sure every NFL strength coach has guys working out all of their body parts.

And making shoulder muscles stronger won't keep the tendons of the rotator cuff from tearing.

As a personal trainer I can assure you that focusing more on certain muscles while not completely neglecting others obviously can protect your connective tissue and discs.  Building a stronger lower back and core muscles will protect your discs.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2022, 04:11 PM)M.W. Wrote: As a personal trainer I can assure you that focusing more on certain muscles while not completely neglecting others obviously can protect your connective tissue and discs.  Building a stronger lower back and core muscles will protect your discs.

No offense, but I am sure every NFL trainer knows just as much as you about training to prevent injuries.

Not saying you are not good at what you do.  Just saying you are not smarter about this stuff than even the worst NFL training staff.
Reply/Quote