Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stupid Play Calling From The 6?!
On our final score with two minutes left, we ran Gio from the shotgun from the 12, which I wasn't happy with, but not that bad of a call.

Then, from the 6, we hand him the ball two more times from the shotgun! We're on the 6! the D is going to be near the line! Running from the shotgun won't work!

Furthermore, on at least one of the next two downs, AJ had a corner on the line playing press coverage with no safety behind him....... THROW A JUMP BALL! AJ may not be the receiver he once was, but I'll still take him in a jump ball EVERY TIME from the 5!

Or have him fake like he's running a fade and have Burrow throw him a quick slant or a short skinny post!

Did that bother anyone else?!
Reply/Quote
Wait are you talking about the drive where they scored a TD?
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2020, 08:42 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Wait are you talking about the drive where they scored a TD?

Yeah, where they had to convert a fourth down to Gio to score.

Should have never come to that.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2020, 08:49 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Yeah, where they had to convert a fourth down to Gio to score.

Should have never come to that.

Oh so you want to give Cleveland even more time to win the game? 
Reply/Quote
Yeah we were trying to run the clock. I wish we would have got the 1st down instead of the touchdown. It was inches, and i know how unlucky this team is when it comes to finishing games. I think if we would have ran the clock down to 10 seconds left in the game we MAY have been able to hang onto the win, but im not sure, 10 seconds may have been to much time for Cleveland to go down 80 yards and score with zero timeouts.
Reply/Quote
Weird thing to be worried about in the grand scheme of things...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Yeah no I didn’t care about that. We scored too soon like they always do when the defense can’t stop anything.
Reply/Quote
Didn’t particularly bother me. They were trying to run clock and force Cleveland to burn their timeouts. It worked.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2020, 09:57 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: Yeah no I didn’t care about that. We scored too soon like they always do when the defense can’t stop anything.

You have to score when you get the chance. Can't play the don't score, it is too soon game.

Gio goes down on the one, and a fumbled snap, fumble in general, INT, penalty, or great push from the defense and you lose the game.

You get the chance to score... you score. Just have to have a defense that can step up when called upon sadly this team doesn't have that.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(10-25-2020, 10:04 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: You have to score when you get the chance. Can't play the don't score, it is too soon game.

Gio goes down on the one, and a fumbled snap, fumble in general, INT, penalty, or great push from the defense and you lose the game.

You get the chance to score... you score. Just have to have a defense that can step up when called upon sadly this team doesn't have that.

I understand all of that and have said that almost verbatim.

But this is the bengals, not some other team that has better players or a better scheme or better coaching. This has happened many times to this team in the past.

Right now you have to be unconventional. You’re probably going to lose if you score with over a minute, gotta run more clock. If the offense fails, eh it was a risk and people still want you shit canned anyway
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2020, 10:11 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: I understand all of that and have said that almost verbatim.

But this is the bengals, not some other team that has better players or a better scheme or better coaching. This has happened many times to this team in the past.

Right now you have to be unconventional. You’re probably going to lose if you score with over a minute, gotta run more clock. If the offense fails, eh it was a risk and people still want you shit canned anyway

At this point wins = false hope.

Wins = worse draft position

Wins = Injuries being used as an excuse to make no changes.

The team plays a complete game and wins, that is awesome but trying to hide the defensive being a dumpster fire to get a meaningless win, doesn't help in the long run. 

I know, it sounds completely backwards to say it, but if the end goal is a bad ass new offensive lineman, and an overhaul of the coaching staff from Mike Brown, then you need the results to be bad....and I mean really bad.

4 or 5 wins, and it's that Geno was hurt and A.J. was rusty, and then Reader was hurt and etc, etc, etc... And another season will be wasted.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Jesus, it just gets more idiotic around here.
Reply/Quote
The offense's job is to score. It was a score or lose scenario and they did theirs jobs. The defense did not, as they did not all day. This is on them and only them.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2020, 08:40 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: On our final score with two minutes left, we ran Gio from the shotgun from the 12, which I wasn't happy with, but not that bad of a call.

Then, from the 6, we hand him the ball two more times from the shotgun!  We're on the 6!  the D is going to be near the line!  Running from the shotgun won't work!

Furthermore, on at least one of the next two downs, AJ had a corner on the line playing press coverage with no safety behind him.......  THROW A JUMP BALL!  AJ may not be the receiver he once was, but I'll still take him in a jump ball EVERY TIME from the 5!

Or have him fake like he's running a fade and have Burrow throw him a quick slant or a short skinny post!

Did that bother anyone else?!
i am with you Fritz. I was screaming at the tv. The anouncers even said something to the same.
Reply/Quote
I thought that Zac did a great job with clock management at the end of the first half as well as at the end of the game.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2020, 11:56 PM)WhodeyRay Wrote: i am with you Fritz. I was screaming at the tv. The anouncers even said something to the same.

I'm not sure why you would be screaming at the TV.  There was plenty of time left on the clock and it forced the Browns to use all of their time outs.  

Thought it was a great job of calling the game in that situation.
Reply/Quote
If Burrow cant gain a couple inches on a sneak they didn't deserve to win anyway. I was mad about this too. They could have milked the clock all the way down. Cleveland scored on every possession in the 2nd half and fast. IN game coaching says sneak it and the take your shots after milking the clock. It was so close though. If they get that sack on Baker or Phillip's touches the guy to keep him from going out of bounds they probably win... What a heartbreaking loss.. This one might have did them in after last week. It's crazy this is a 1 win team. Coaching is always the subject around here after losses.. That's no coincidence..
Reply/Quote
No such thing as scoring too soon. If you can't get a team out in 3, yes, THREE plays, you deserve to lose.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2020, 09:49 PM)Nati#1 Wrote: Yeah we were trying to run the clock. I wish we would have got the 1st down instead of the touchdown. It was inches, and i know how unlucky this team is when it comes to finishing games. I think if we would have ran the clock down to 10 seconds left in the game we MAY have been able to hang onto the win, but im not sure, 10 seconds may have been to much time for Cleveland to go down 80 yards and score with zero timeouts.

No doubt but you simply can't pick and choose when you want/need to score. As bad as the D was and as hot as Baker was I sure as hell hope they thought long and hard about it.

As terrible as this D was all game and the last drive it really came down to an effort play where the Bungles db simply failed to touch Higgins while he was in bounds after a catch with around 50 seconds left. That keeps the clock running and the Browns in scramble mode.

As hot as they made Mayfield and as bad as the D was the Bengals probably lose that game in OT even if it went there, imo.
Reply/Quote
Slowing down the game on offense to limit a response (4-minute offense) is a widely accepted strategy...everywhere except here apparently. It was 4 down territory obviously so normal conventions don't exist in terms of playcalling by down, so while uncomfortable those situations are expected. On the 4th down, they had a sneak called coming out of the time out with the check to the motion play based on the look. There were 4 guys in the A gaps making the sneak impossible, so the check was the right call.

It gets really difficult to come around here anymore because people literally complain about everything. We have plenty of legit things to complain about, this isn't one of them.
Reply/Quote