Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stupid Wheel of Fortune Contestants!
(06-12-2018, 07:55 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: People who play gameshows bug me with their stupidity.

Example: In Wheel of Fortune, when a contestant is playing the bonus round, if the first letters (r, s, t, l, n. e) come up and you know what a word is but have no clue on the other word or words, why would you use your 3 letters to fill the word that you already know?!

Case-in-point:  I was just watching an episode with the category being People, and, after the first letters come up, he's left with this:

-----
NE-----RS

I take one look at it and know that the bottom word is neighbors, which he obviously knew because the letters he called were H, B, M, O.

WHY THE HELL WOULD HE CALL LETTERS THAT HE KNEW WERE UP THERE?!  The M was maybe the only one that could have been up there, but why waste the other 2 letters?!

It ended up being "WACKY NEIGHBORS" and the dude didn't win the 35 grand.  

Is this as stupid as it seems to me or can anyone offer a reasonable explanation?!

Reason #1: When you guess a WRONG letter, you lose your turn.
Reason #2: So, if you know a word, you guess the letters you KNOW will be there to keep your turn going
Reason #3: You want to guess the letters you know so that YOU can get money for them and not the other players (who may also already know the word that you know)
Reason #4: If you don't know the other words in the puzzle, you guess the letters you do know in the hopes that they'll ALSO be in one of the other words.

It would actually be incredibly stupid to guess letters you DON'T know are in the puzzle when there are letters you DO know because you'll lose your turn and someone else could guess those letters getting money that YOU could have gotten.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2018, 12:52 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Reason #1: When you guess a WRONG letter, you lose your turn.
Reason #2: So, if you know a word, you guess the letters you KNOW will be there to keep your turn going
Reason #3: You want to guess the letters you know so that YOU can get money for them and not the other players (who may also already know the word that you know)
Reason #4: If you don't know the other words in the puzzle, you guess the letters you do know in the hopes that they'll ALSO be in one of the other words.

It would actually be incredibly stupid to guess letters you DON'T know are in the puzzle when there are letters you DO know because you'll lose your turn and someone else could guess those letters getting money that YOU could have gotten.

It was the final money round (as I mentioned), meaning that he had to try and guess letters that were up there to get the entire puzzle, so you don't want to guess letters you know are up there because you miss on getting letters that could lead you to the answer.
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2018, 02:53 PM)BFritz21 Wrote:  so you don't want to guess letters you know are up there because you miss on getting letters that could lead you to the answer.

But if he knew the second word and did not know any of the letters in the first word it made absolutely no difference.

There was nothing "stupid" about guessing letters that he knew were in the second word because they may have been in the first word as well.
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2018, 03:02 PM)fredtoast Wrote: But if he knew the second word and did not know any of the letters in the first word it made absolutely no difference.

There was nothing "stupid" about guessing letters that he knew were in the second word because they may have been in the first word as well.

So you think that the Wheel of Fortune people are stupid enough to put puzzles up there in the final round with a lot of the same letters in both words, especially when a smart person could easily notice that the number of spots fits with "neighbors"?

It was incredibly stupid to guess the same letters, especially when you think of the possibilities that could be in a phrase with the second word "neighbors."
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2018, 03:10 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: So you think that the Wheel of Fortune people are stupid enough to put puzzles up there in the final round with a lot of the same letters in both words, especially when a smart person could easily notice that the number of spots fits with "neighbors"?

It was incredibly stupid to guess the same letters, especially when you think of the possibilities that could be in a phrase with the second word "neighbors."

Knowing the second word has zero to do with the first word.  I have seen many final puzzles where there are the same letters in multiple words.

So there was nothing stupid about the letters he guessed.  You are the one looking silly for claiming he was stupid.
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2018, 03:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Knowing the second word has zero to do with the first word.  I have seen many final puzzles where there are the same letters in multiple words.

So there was nothing stupid about the letters he guessed.  You are the one looking silly for claiming he was stupid.

Are you serious?!  

Now you're just making yourself look bad in an attempt to save yourself.

The two words are always linked.  They're not just going to put two random words up there.

They may have same letters, but not a lot, and what word could have fit with neighbors that used those letters?

You're digging yourself deeper.
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2018, 03:25 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: They may have same letters, but not a lot, and what word could have fit with neighbors that used those letters?

Actually it is not uncommon for multiple words in the final puzzle to have the same letters in them.  It happens all the time.

As for what word fits with those letters, I have no idea.  But if you don't know the word you have no idea which letters to eliminate.
Reply/Quote
Popcorn
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2018, 03:47 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually it is not uncommon for multiple words in the final puzzle to have the same letters in them.  It happens all the time.

As for what word fits with those letters, I have no idea.  But if you don't know the word you have no idea which letters to eliminate.

I’m sure you watch Family Feud enough to make that claim?

Also, what words could have fit using those letters?
Reply/Quote
Come on guys, just agree to disagree and drop it, before somebody goes too far and gets in trouble.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2018, 09:23 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: I’m sure you watch Family Feud enough to make that claim?

I never watch Family Feud.

But Wheel of Fortune ends right before Jeopardy starts so I often see the final puzzle.  Happens all the time.
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2018, 12:27 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I never watch Family Feud.

But Wheel of Fortune ends right before Jeopardy starts so I often see the final puzzle.  Happens all the time.

Right because I’m sure you watch it live a lot and not on record and, when you do see it, you pay attention to it close enough to make the claim of the frequency of the same letters in multiple words.
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2018, 02:30 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Right because I’m sure you watch it live a lot and not on record and, when you do see it, you pay attention to it close enough to make the claim of the frequency of the same letters in multiple words.

Yes.   I see the final puzzle at the end of Wheel of Fortune quite often because I am getting ready to watch Jeopardy.  And I see the same letters in multiple words many times.  So does everyone else here who ever watches the show.
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2018, 02:34 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yes.   I see the final puzzle at the end of Wheel of Fortune quite often because I am getting ready to watch Jeopardy.  And I see the same letters in multiple words many times.  So does everyone else here who ever watches the show.

So now you can speak for everyone else here who watches the show.  

Typical empty rhetoric by you.

And I'm sure you watch it live so you'd see the end of the Wheel of Fortune.
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2018, 04:10 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: So now you can speak for everyone else here who watches the show.  

Yes.  I can speak for everyone lese here because I know it is true.

(06-18-2018, 04:10 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: And I'm sure you watch it live so you'd see the end of the Wheel of Fortune.

What does watching it "live" have to do with anything?
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2018, 04:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yes.  I can speak for everyone lese here because I know it is true.

What does watching it "live" have to do with anything?

You think everything you have ever said is true, even when it is pointed out to you and proven to be false.

And watching it live has everything to do with it because, if you were tuned in beforehand and watching it live, you indeed might have seen the end of Wheel of Fortune, but not if you recorded Jeopardy just to watch Jeopardy.
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2018, 04:25 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: You think everything you have ever said is true, even when it is pointed out to you and proven to be false.

And watching it live has everything to do with it because, if you were tuned in beforehand and watching it live, you indeed might have seen the end of Wheel of Fortune, but not if you recorded Jeopardy just to watch Jeopardy.

Brad, I am dropping this.  It isn't worth it.  You can huff and puff all you want but from now on everyone here who watches Wheel of Fortune will think of you every time they see all those same letters in multiple words in the final puzzle, and if you are watching you will feel the shame of being proven wrong.

You will never be able to enjoy a Final Puzzle again without the embarrassment of knowing that everyone is thinking about how Fred was right and Brad was wrong.

I am finished here.
Reply/Quote
[quote='BFritz21' pid='559978' dateline='1529349941']

You think everything you have ever said is true, even when it is pointed out to you and proven to be false.

Edgar Rice Burroughs ( creator of Tarzan ) once wrote
" you hate the qualities in others that you see in yourself ".
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2018, 05:12 PM)Sabretooth Wrote: Edgar Rice Burroughs ( creator of Tarzan ) once wrote
" you hate the qualities in others that you see in yourself ".
That might have been true about the old me, but now I just hate when people that see themselves superior to me and talk down to me even when they are proven wrong because of how they see me in my condition.

Fred has already proven that this is the case with him when I, ironically, called him out on something he said that he contradicted himself in and then he went into a long post about people showing me charity, how people treated me after the wreck, and never disagreeing with me out of sympathy of my condition (which how would he know ANYTHING ABOUT ANY OF THAT?), which, anyone who knows anything about me, knows that the reason that people are so drawn to me is because I'm outspoken, hate when people feel sympathy for me, and that they can criticize me and talk to me like a normal person.
Reply/Quote