Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stupid Wheel of Fortune Contestants!
People who play gameshows bug me with their stupidity.

Example: In Wheel of Fortune, when a contestant is playing the bonus round, if the first letters (r, s, t, l, n. e) come up and you know what a word is but have no clue on the other word or words, why would you use your 3 letters to fill the word that you already know?!

Case-in-point: I was just watching an episode with the category being People, and, after the first letters come up, he's left with this:

-----
NE-----RS

I take one look at it and know that the bottom word is neighbors, which he obviously knew because the letters he called were H, B, M, O.

WHY THE HELL WOULD HE CALL LETTERS THAT HE KNEW WERE UP THERE?! The M was maybe the only one that could have been up there, but why waste the other 2 letters?!

It ended up being "WACKY NEIGHBORS" and the dude didn't win the 35 grand.

Is this as stupid as it seems to me or can anyone offer a reasonable explanation?!
Reply/Quote
Your overdue on some exercise.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The reasonable explanation is anxiety. It's easy to know everything on your couch when you have no stake in the outcome and aren't being watched by a large amount of people including your family who may be counting on you to win money for the families prosperity.
Reply/Quote
Maybe H, B, M, and O, are the next most common letters used in words.

If he was just filling out the word "neighbors" he would not have chosen an M.
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2018, 08:38 AM)Au165 Wrote: The reasonable explanation is anxiety. It's easy to know everything on your couch when you have no stake in the outcome and aren't being watched by a large amount of people including your family who may be counting on you to win money for the families prosperity.
A large amount of people counting on them to win money for their prosperity?

Don't be so dramatic!

It's always clean-cut people who usually have their lives together and are just looking for money for vacation or things like that.  Sometimes, you will see a student say that they're trying to pay off student debt, but, even so, it's not like people come on that show looking to feed their starving family of five.
(06-13-2018, 10:37 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Maybe H, B, M, and O, are the next most common letters used in words.

If he was just filling out the word "neighbors" he would not have chosen an M.

Except they're not.
Reply/Quote
The fact that he knows the letters in "neighbors" has nothing to do with the letters in the top word.

And maybe he did not know the bottom word was "neighbors".

What letters would you have guessed?
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2018, 11:21 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: A large amount of people counting on them to win money for their prosperity?

Don't be so dramatic!

It's always clean-cut people who usually have their lives together and are just looking for money for vacation or things like that.  Sometimes, you will see a student say that they're trying to pay off student debt, but, even so, it's not like people come on that show looking to feed their starving family of five.

You don't know their life "clean cut" is nothing but an over generalization by you based on an outward appearance. You don't think 10k-20k is life changing for many people on that show? You do realize that most people don't have $500 in savings right (60% don't)? You don't think that money can change people and their families lives for things like helping with credit card debt, paying off cars, or even helping save for college? 

Everyone on the show isn't clean cut, well off, and stupid, no matter what your 20 minute observations tell you. The reasonable explanation is nerves/pressure/fear, it happens on all game shows even ones like Jeopardy where there is base line intelligence testing to even get on.
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2018, 11:59 AM)Au165 Wrote: You don't know their life "clean cut" is nothing but an over generalization by you based on an outward appearance. You don't think 10k-20k is life changing for many people on that show? You do realize that most people don't have $500 in savings right (60% don't)? You don't think that money can change people and their families lives for things like helping with credit card debt, paying off cars, or even helping save for college? 

Everyone on the show isn't clean cut, well off, and stupid, no matter what your 20 minute observations tell you. The reasonable explanation is nerves/pressure/fear, it happens on all game shows even ones like Jeopardy where there is base line intelligence testing to even get on.

Considering they always tell things about themselves before the show and mention anything that they'd like to win money for, I feel pretty confident that his family's prosperity wasn't riding on him winning money from a game show.
Reply/Quote
If you can't beat 'Up the butt, Bob" (whether it happened or not), your game show story is irrelevant.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
okay the bigger question here..

Is why the hell does it bother you.... If you hate game show contestants why are you watching game shows and aggrevating yourself for no reason?

Easy to be an armchair constant... Not everyone does better when put on the spot.
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2018, 04:56 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: okay the bigger question here..

Is why the hell does it bother you....  If you hate game show contestants why are you watching game shows and aggrevating yourself for no reason?

Easy to be an armchair constant...  Not everyone does better when put on the spot.

Jerry

Stupidity bugs me
Reply/Quote
I thought it was going to be Naggers.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2018, 05:08 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Jerry

Stupidity bugs me

But there was nothing stupid about his selections.

If you already know the second word it makes no difference what you select to try and guess the first word.  You can completely eliminate the second word from the puzzle.  So it does not matter if the letters would also appear in the second word.  

If you don't select "G" because it is in the second word then how does that make it easier to guess the first word?

People who call other people stupid for no reason bug me.
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2018, 07:55 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: -----
NE-----RS

I take one look at it and know that the bottom word is neighbors, which he obviously knew because the letters he called were H, B, M, O.

If he obviously knw the second word was "neighbors" then why did he chose an "M"
Reply/Quote
Stupid Wheel of Fortune? I haven't stumbled across that version yet. Is it in English?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2018, 06:01 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Stupid Wheel of Fortune?  I haven't stumbled across that version yet.  Is it in English?

No because everyone in this country gets offended by the truth  Cry
Reply/Quote
The bigger question is did Pat and Vanna sell their souls for a lifetime gig on that show ?

Them cats have got to be old especially since the show has been on since I was young and am ancient now.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2018, 11:41 AM)fredtoast Wrote: The fact that he knows the letters in "neighbors" has nothing to do with the letters in the top word.

And maybe he did not know the bottom word was "neighbors".

What letters would you have guessed?

Believe Fred is correct and this is probably what it was and the 3 out of 4 guessed letters just happened to fall in place in 2nd word. 

On the vowels he could only guess between i, u, a, and o. 50% of them are in the word neighbors. So he had a good chance of that happening especially since u is probably not a good selection anyway which basically takes him to a 2 out of 3 chance of picking a letter that fell in 2ns word.  

H, B, and M and M was not in 2nd word. 

Just do not think he knew it was "neighbors" as you did. Sometimes people just have brain farts, ease up on him. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Brad,years ago while taking a college psychology 120 course.
I did a paper on game shows.The conclusions reached were
1.game shows were designed so that the audience got the answers first, thereby making viewers feel smart.
2.increased tv ratings if viewers continue to watch.

I got an A for the paper and the instructor wrote " top notch cognitive skills "and she would be happy to write a letter of recommendation if I chose to pursue a masters degree.

Consider this,being human means we all have areas that can be improved upon.
No actual human is an expert in every subject, I wouldn't call someone stupid, but perhaps unexposed to certain criteria.
Reply/Quote
I tell ya..nothing could be more important than mindlessly watching wheel of fortune to begin with. In the grand scheme of world events complaining about some contestant on some crappy game show featuring an old broad whose ONLY job in the world is to touch a letter block has to rate right up there with. .oh, I dunno.. Nuclear proliferation or something of that nature ...
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote