Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stupid car question
(02-01-2019, 10:21 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I drive a 1998 Buick Century. Happy

Oh yeah, those 3.8L V6's ran pretty smooth..
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2019, 10:58 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Oh yeah, those 3.8L V6's ran pretty smooth..

Damn right they did! I had a badass maroon LeSabre that glided down the roads.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2019, 10:58 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Oh yeah, those 3.8L V6's ran pretty smooth..

My mom left it to me. It had 50,000 miles on it. It rides very smooth. In 3 yrs I’ve put 16,000 miles on it. Only issues I had with it was the power window switch went bad in drivers door. I’ve replaced and all is great. I actually have received compliments on how great of shape the car is in. I hope to drive it for several years. The stuff she had in it remains. I never made the car my own, but always looks like I’m just borrowing my moms car.

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2019, 10:21 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I drive a 1998 Buick Century. Happy

(02-02-2019, 12:34 AM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Damn right they did!  I had a badass maroon LeSabre that glided down the roads.

(02-02-2019, 08:35 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: My mom left it to me. It had 50,000 miles on it. It rides very smooth. In 3 yrs I’ve put 16,000 miles on it. Only issues I had with it was the power window switch went bad in drivers door. I’ve replaced and all is great. I actually have received compliments on how great of shape the car is in. I hope to drive it for several years. The stuff she had in it remains. I never made the car my own, but always looks like I’m just borrowing my moms car.

Still drivin my '99 Olds 88. About to hit 200,000 miles. Driven it to Florida 4 times and Myrtle Beach once. I will drive that thing until it stops running then Uber home and have it towed to a junk yard.  ThumbsUp

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2019, 08:35 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Only issues I had with it was the power window switch went bad in drivers door. I’ve replaced and all is great.

lol. I've had to do a couple more things to mine. Besides a couple batteries, i've replaced the radiator, brake lines, starter 2 or 3 times, alternator and currently the power steering reservoir leaks but enough will stay in there that i can drive it for a few weeks before putting more fluid in. One side of the wiring block burned up so i've replaced the ignition switch (the white box on the steering column, not the key switch) but i have also taken the vats ignition cylinder out and taped the vats key and just stuck it under the dash with a regular key switch in it now, as well as replacing the turn signal assembly since the cruise burned out (that was before the last trip to Florida). Both door locks have fallen inside the door so i don't lock it now and the lead inserts on the steering column have come loose from the bracket (causing the column to drop down) so i JB Welded them back in and put a couple self-tapping screws in the bracket to keep it from moving. Most recently, i replaced the valve cover gasket, plugs and plug wires and i had to clean up and lube the throttle cable bracket because it would stick from rust and idle high. 

Oh, and i've replaced the IAC and MAF sensors. 

Other than that, runs like a top!

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2019, 06:14 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Still drivin my '99 Olds 88. About to hit 200,000 miles. Driven it to Florida 4 times and Myrtle Beach once. I will drive that thing until it stops running then Uber home and have it towed to a junk yard.  ThumbsUp

Still running a 1990 Honda CRX.....no idea on the miles, speedo/odometer didn't work for years.  Tough little sumbitch, been completely submerged back in the early aughts.

That's my work beater....got an '01 Dakota with 217k on the clock and still runs strong.  Did the front end five years ago (all ball joints, tie rod ends, shocks on all four corners, and two new CV axles while I was at it....didn't want to tear it back down if they failed and they were cheap enough), u joints one time, and I lost count of the power steering pumps (they're weak af, and 4WD and aggressive turning don't seem to mesh well) and that's about it besides routine maintenance.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-04-2019, 04:07 PM)Wyche Wrote: Still running a 1990 Honda CRX.....no idea on the miles, speedo/odometer didn't work for years.  Tough little sumbitch, been completely submerged back in the early aughts.

Damn.  Love that car.  Learned to drive in '90 too.  You keep that thing on the road for us.  
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2019, 04:45 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Damn.  Love that car.  Learned to drive in '90 too.  You keep that thing on the road for us.  

I will brother, I've had it since '98. As long as I can find parts for it, I'll keep it going. Super easy to work on. It's gotta resto coming its way in a little while.

Reply/Quote
(02-03-2019, 06:14 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Still drivin my '99 Olds 88. About to hit 200,000 miles. Driven it to Florida 4 times and Myrtle Beach once. I will drive that thing until it stops running then Uber home and have it towed to a junk yard.  ThumbsUp

My very first car was a Delta 88.  Probably like an '80.  That thing was a tank.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
And here I am with my 2006 Subaru Outback (had the '01 last year, before it was junked; damn Ontario emissions laws. Get this, it actually was a clean car, but one of the catalytic converters was plugged a bit and I had to get it completely replaced or junk the car. Stupid), thinking I have an old vehicle! lol

I will say this; you Americans are infinitely better than us at keeping old cars on the road and in good condition; I remember driving down to Cincinnati in '15 and I saw so many old American-manufactured vehicles driving (1989 Ford Taurus Station Wagon! Like the Sable we used to have! Big Grin) with no issues, little rust and everything.

Those vehicles are hens teeth, up here.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
I'll never forget the time, I was probably about 7 or 8 and dad brought home this big huge Plymouth Fury.... That thing was a big as an aircraft carrier!!! Mom yelled at him for getting it because it was to big and ugly...So he did and bought a new Town & Country station wagon... Anyway he sold the Fury to a guy that actually drove for another 20 years...
Reply/Quote
Nobody ever heard of a manual transmission and the good old fashioned push start? You remember popping the clutch? Jump in and pray you don't screw it up before you run out of hill? lol.. Of course it doesn't work so spiffy going up hill.. I don't even recall the last manual transmission I saw.. Last one I owned was an old GMC truck with a utility bed.. It had an old granny gear You could drag a train with and go all of about 2 mph before shifting to 1st gear.. (well 2nd I guess...nobody ever drove around starting off in 1st with one of those..)
My mom owned an old Falcon that never once had a working starter in it. Us kids would all have to get out and push wherever we went to get it started.. Fun times!  Cool True story about that car.. A friend of our family was an old fashioned shade tree mechanic and installed the transmission linkage backwards so 1st gear was where 3rd was and 3rd where 1st was supposed to be.. It had something most kids today have never seen nor heard of..3 on the tree.. I learned to drive a clutch on that car.. Fun relearning on the next car she owned.. lol
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(02-06-2019, 04:49 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I'll never forget the time, I was probably about 7 or 8 and dad brought home this big huge Plymouth Fury.... That thing was a big as an aircraft carrier!!! Mom yelled at him for getting it because it was to big and ugly...So he did and bought a new Town & Country station wagon... Anyway he sold the Fury to a guy that actually drove for another 20 years...

My sister, who drives like most people spit owned an old Fury with a police interceptor in it. That thing was a beast and my sister driving could make old atheist start praying.. lol
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2019, 05:26 AM)grampahol Wrote: Nobody ever heard of a manual transmission and the good old fashioned push start? You remember popping the clutch? Jump in and pray you don't screw it up before you run out of hill? lol.. Of course it doesn't work so spiffy going up hill.. I don't even recall the last manual transmission I saw.. Last one I owned was an old GMC truck with a utility bed.. It had an old granny gear You could drag a train with and go all of about 2 mph before shifting to 1st gear.. (well 2nd I guess...nobody ever drove around starting off in 1st with one of those..)
My mom owned an old Falcon that never once had a working starter in it. Us kids would all have to get out and push wherever we went to get it started.. Fun times!  Cool True story about that car.. A friend of our family was an old fashioned shade tree mechanic and installed the transmission linkage backwards so 1st gear was where 3rd was and 3rd where 1st was supposed to be.. It had something most kids today have never seen nor heard of..3 on the tree.. I learned to drive a clutch on that car.. Fun relearning on the next car she owned.. lol

My Honda is a 5 speed.....2nd gear on those roll starts. Wink

My grandfather had a '68 C-10 Chevy pickup with a 3 on the tree.  Damn body and frame rusted around the engine and drivetrain back in the mid 90s.

Reply/Quote