Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Stupid decision
I'm sure if we didn't go for 2 there and lost the game by 1 nobody would have said a peep.

I thought is was a bad call to go for 2 that early in the game, but I'm one of those that think Marvin may be too aggressive.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2018, 09:14 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: What if...  Marvin Lewis is actually a good coach, and he just happens to be employed by a crappy organization with an overly heavy handed Management style?

Nah, that can't possibly be, Marv just sux!

Honestly, the truth is probably somewhere in between the two.

The issue with this argument will always be Marvin's prime time record.  There is really nothing Mikey can do that can cause this team to underperform to the degree it has in primetime games.  Similarly, unless Mikey has some kind of strange "No halftime adjustments" policy, that's all on Giggles and his staff.  This team being forced to waste timeouts on offense has always seemed to be an issue throughout his tenure.  Could Marvin have done more if Mikey was more aggressive in FA?  Maybe, but he has numerous complete playoff implosions on his resume.  Could a better coach have gotten more of his rosters?  Most certainly.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2018, 09:49 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: He makes(or is supposed to make)  all the in game decisions. Mikey controls the purse strings and while that can hog tie even the best coach but it has nothing to do with poor game decisions. Marvin is and always was over his head when it comes to the cerebral part of coaching.

That all may or not be true.  What is true, is that Marvin Lewis is the winningest Bengals HC in the history of the franchise.

Now, we can debate forever on the validity, merits, and meaningfulness of that fact, but that is still a fact that won't change for a long time.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
You can't fault a coach for being too aggressive and too conservative simultaneously.

I had no issue with the decision.

chasing points in the first half always has its risks. But the pay off is there.

Our team just didn't execute on either 2 point conversion. And that's the plight of having a back up QB. It's just harder to get clutch plays off when the other team doesn't fear your QB's ability to make a play.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2018, 10:02 PM)Whatever Wrote:
The issue with this argument will always be Marvin's prime time record.
  There is really nothing Mikey can do that can cause this team to underperform to the degree it has in primetime games.  Similarly, unless Mikey has some kind of strange "No halftime adjustments" policy, that's all on Giggles and his staff.  This team being forced to waste timeouts on offense has always seemed to be an issue throughout his tenure.  Could Marvin have done more if Mikey was more aggressive in FA?  Maybe, but he has numerous complete playoff implosions on his resume.  Could a better coach have gotten more of his rosters?  Most certainly.

All valid points.  But, the fact remains that Marvin Lewis is by far the winningest coach in Bengals history.  He's got his faults, no doubt.  Should he have been gone years ago? Absolutely.  Do I think that he tries his best to do his job?  No doubt.  Is it Mike Brown's fault that Marvin is still the HC, after all these years?  You bet your ass it is!

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2018, 12:26 PM)Au165 Wrote: He doesn't change the blocking scheme based on the down and distance. The play dictates the blocking, that one is on the play call. 

Right. Same with the 4th down play call in the 3rd quarter. Just idiotic. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2018, 10:28 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: All valid points.  But, the fact remains that Marvin Lewis is by far the winningest coach in Bengals history.  He's got his faults, no doubt.  Should he have been gone years ago? Absolutely.  Do I think that he tries his best to do his job?  No doubt.  Is it Mike Brown's fault that Marvin is still the HC, after all these years?  You bet your ass it is!

Mikey is just loyal to a fault, which is a big time liability in a competitive performance based business like the NFL.  He desperately needs a GM that can separate business from personal issues, but it's not happening until he decides to step away for good.  I agree 100% that he should have canned Lewis years ago, and the responsibility ultimately lies with him.

To me, Marvin is a poor man's John Cooper.  Good enough to beat the teams he's supposed to beat and won a lot of games because of it, but crumbles under the pressure in big spots.  He's taken the Bengals as far as he can take them, and that's been apparent for a long time.  
Reply/Quote
I know this Minnesota HC has made some really stupid calls in this Monday Night game.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-10-2018, 11:48 PM)Whatever Wrote: Mikey is just loyal to a fault, which is a big time liability in a competitive performance based business like the NFL.  He desperately needs a GM that can separate business from personal issues, but it's not happening until he decides to step away for good.  I agree 100% that he should have canned Lewis years ago, and the responsibility ultimately lies with him.

To me, Marvin is a poor man's John Cooper.  Good enough to beat the teams he's supposed to beat and won a lot of games because of it, but crumbles under the pressure in big spots.  He's taken the Bengals as far as he can take them, and that's been apparent for a long time.  

Cooper won plenty of big games with OSU but just couldn't beat scUM and lost more than his share of Bowl games..He won a Rose Bowl over a top 5 team in ASU, a Sugar bowl over a highly ranked A&M team, beat ND twice who was top ten and had plenty of wins of top 5-10 PSU teams..
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2018, 01:15 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I agree with you to some degree about going for 2 earlier in games, but I think a big reason coaches don't want to go for 2 more often is that they want to keep their "2 point playbook" a secret.  If they only attempt it on rare occasions then the defense does not know what to expect.

I don't know for sure, but I believe that if every team started going for 2 more often then the percentages would drop because the defenses would be able to scout the tendencies. 

In today's league, defenses can scout tendencies all that they want - it doesn't necesssarily mean that they can stop jack sh*t. The Bills and Jags went from dangerous playoff teams to relative garbage overnight. Also: I fail to see how a 2-point conversion playbook is really much different than a 3rd and 2 playbook. If a team is good in the RZ, why not go for two more often? 
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2018, 01:33 PM)sandwedge Wrote: You're probably right about defenses being able to scout tendencies, but the last time we actually scored a 2 pt conversion was back in 2015. I just didn't like the plays we called on both of our tries. Driskel is suppose to be an athletic QB, I would have liked to seen more of an option with him rolling out, forcing the D to come up.

They would of just left the defenses best DE go without being blocked or tried to have the TE run all the way behind the line from the opposite side to block the DE.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2018, 12:08 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Marvelous Marvin pulled another bone head decision that cost his team a chance to win. Going for two point conversion in the freaking second quarter instead of taking one point made the team have to go for two again instead of kicking a game tying extra point. How he comes up with these stupid decisions amaze me.

It's called desperation. 

Reply/Quote