Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suarez Shoulder Surgery
Had surgery to remove cartiledge in right shoulder, he hurt in a swimming pool. Should be ready “around the beginning of the season”. First bad news of the offseason. I wonder if his back-up will be Castellanos?

https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/eugenio-suarez-shoulder-surgery
Reply/Quote
Could be ? Or Senzel ?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Can't help but think of Green "Missing 3 or 4 regular season games".

Suarez, like Green, is the best player on the team.
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2020, 09:23 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Had surgery to remove cartiledge in right shoulder, he hurt in a swimming pool. Should be ready “around the beginning of the season”. First bad news of the offseason. I wonder if his back-up will be Castellanos?

No..absolutely not. Catellanos is one of the worst fielding outfielders in the ML..He's not going to man 3rd base unless about 4 other guys die before the season starts.. Hilarious
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Oh boy! Smh... Moose to 3rd and Senzel to second until he’s ready... or just Senzel to 3rd. It’s like the city is snake bitten with sports.
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2020, 03:28 AM)grampahol Wrote: No..absolutely not. Catellanos is one of the worst fielding outfielders in the ML..He's not going to man 3rd base unless about 4 other guys die before the season starts.. Hilarious

That’s because he’s only been playing the outfield for two years, he was a 3B before that...
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2020, 09:23 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Had surgery to remove cartiledge in right shoulder, he hurt in a swimming pool. Should be ready “around the beginning of the season”. First bad news of the offseason. I wonder if his back-up will be Castellanos?

His back-up should be moving Moustakes to Third and getting Van Meter at bats as Second Base.   Of course the idea was Suarez at 3rd, Moustakes at 2nd, Votto at 1st and Galvis at Short.  HOPEFULLY we won't lose Reds best hitter for long.  We need Suarez.  Moustakes also one of best hitters in the game and plays Third or Second. Second when we have Suarez. Use Suarez out to get Van Meter at bats at Second. Aquino in Right, but Reds are loaded on outfielders of Ervin, Senzel, Winker, The Japanese Player they signed. One crowded outfield. Use this as chance to put Van Meter at Second, a position he loves to play. Moustakes more of a Third Base anyway, but when Suarez in, Moustakes goes to his other position of Second.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Well this sucks. Now they will not move Senzel which I guess is okay. I still see the Reds making another big move and trading some players. My Guess is they will target Seager (SS).
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(01-29-2020, 11:38 AM)kevin Wrote: His back-up should be moving Moustakes to Third and getting Van Meter at bats as Second Base.   Of course the idea was Suarez at 3rd, Moustakes at 2nd, Votto at 1st and Galvis at Short.  HOPEFULLY we won't lose Reds best hitter for long.  We need Suarez.   Moustakes also one of best hitters in the game and plays Third or Second.  Second when we have Suarez.  Use Suarez out to get Van Meter at bats at Second.  Aquino in Right, but Reds are loaded on outfielders of Ervin, Senzel, Winker, The Japanese Player they signed.  One crowded outfield.   Use this as chance to put Van Meter at Second, a position he loves to play.  Moustakes more of a Third Base anyway, but when Suarez in, Moustakes goes to his other position of Second.

VanMeter has been playing professional baseball for 7 years and only looked good for one stretch of 200 at bats in AAA last year.  He was nothing but a flash in the pan.
Reply/Quote
According to this article it does sound like Moose is the Suárez replacement and Senzel is the backup 2B. So, if Suarez misses anytime, we’d probably see an outfield of Winker, Shogo and Castellanos. Another little tidbit, Bell sees Castellanos as Votto’s backup and Bell/Krall are planning on Galvis being the starting SS because they didn’t see anyone in FA or trade market as a better option.

https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/nick-castellanos-signing-with-reds-faqs
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2020, 10:09 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: According to this article it does sound like Moose is the Suárez replacement and Senzel is the backup 2B. So, if Suarez misses anytime, we’d probably see an outfield of Winker, Shogo and Castellanos. Another little tidbit, Bell sees Castellanos as Votto’s backup and Bell/Krall are planning on Galvis being the starting SS because they didn’t see anyone in FA or trade market as a better option.

https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/nick-castellanos-signing-with-reds-faqs

The trade market is always in flux as seasons progress up to the trading deadline so it ain't over till it's over. I don't necessarily base all my thoughts on one article since those articles are often dead wrong not to mention managers often change their minds during the season and there's still ST where some will rise to the top while others don't. Remember last year in ST Schebler allegedly beat out Senzel and was hitting well in ST, but once the season got under way it went in the opposite direction and did it for the entire team for awhile. Did anyone really think Schebler would spend nearly the entire season in AAA? I certainly didn't and almost nobody expected Aquino to come on and be the only story in baseball for a few weeks. (ALMOST is being generous to say the least) The point being...things DO change and they often change a lot faster than anyone expects.
Think about where they were at opening day last year compared to the end of the season. The OF was a mess. The only reliable outfielder was from the Dodgers and he was history by the time August rolled around. Aquino was on nobodies radar and neither was Ervin nor VanMeter for that matter. Starting pitching heading into the season was supposed to be a huge weakness and the bullpen a strength. Most of us just KNEW Trammel was going to be our AS outfielder and Senzel our greatest 2nd baseman since Brandon Phillips..
For all we really know this team will look entirely different by the time the ASG rolls around. I suspect it'll look significantly different.

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-29-2020, 04:24 PM)fredtoast Wrote: VanMeter has been playing professional baseball for 7 years and only looked good for one stretch of 200 at bats in AAA last year.  He was nothing but a flash in the pan.

For all we know Aquino a flash in the pan, Senzel a flash in the pan,  Ervin a flash in the pan, Winker a flash in the pan, and yes Van Meter.   THAT is why Reds need to get them all some At Bats.  See what they got.  Suarez injury makes it possible to play Moustakes some at third and some at second this Spring.  Castellano's does not get all the Spring at bats.   Get Van Meter some at bats at second so these other outfielders can get some At Bats.  By your standards they are all a flash in the pan,  in that we have not seen years of Aquno, Senzel, Ervin, Winker, Van Meter,  strong consistent veteran years, all of them the newest flavor of ice cream to the fans.  Reds need to find who are HOT going into April.  

There is no reason not to give Van Meter some At Bats.  Suarez is out, so that is one more way to give him and others some AT Bats this Spring Training.  It's only Spring Training.  Suarez is suppose to play in April.  That means Votto, Moustakes, Galvis, Suarez.   Who the outfielders are is anybody's guess.   Oh Yes, the guy from Japan also.   They may all be Flash In Pan.  Let's hope not.  A lot of outfielders needing lot of at bats in Spring because none are proven veterans that you don't play until opening day time.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
For reasons I can't explain I just don't see this injury as a huge blow. I think he heals quickly and has another great season. Suarez has never struck me as a guy who's gonna milk an injury very long. I think he'll be ready a lot sooner than most people realize. I might be wrong, but I just don't think I am on this one. There's still other options in the FA market. They could sign 2nd baseman Brian Dozier short term if Suarez isn't ready. While Dozier's offensive numbers haven't been great he's still a decent defensive option for the short term and he did hit 20 HR's last year in Washington w/416 ABs and on Redszone there's always plenty of talk of the Reds acquiring Brock Holt who can play both IF and OF and he hit .297 last season in Boston w/259 ABs.. I think at worst the Reds will need a short term plugin @ 2nd base while Moose handles 3rd.. Holts numbers have been all over the place throughout his career from .297 to as low as .200 in 2017.
Personally I think Dozier would be a fine backup/depth guy for 2nd and SS if he's not asking for the moon, stars and the sun to play after winning a ring last year with the Nats..

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2020, 03:59 AM)kevin Wrote:   By your standards they are all a flash in the pan,  in that we have not seen years of Aquno, Senzel, Ervin, Winker, Van Meter,  

You obviously have no clue what my "standard" is.

Winker has three years at the major league level with an OPS over .800.

Senzel hit over 300 in the minors with a slugging percentage over .500.

Aquino may be a flash in the pan but at least he flashed at the major league level.

On the other hand VanMeter hit only .260 in 3 years at AA, .253 at AAA in '18, and .237 in the majors last year.  So the only time he has looked decent in his 7 year professional baseball career was 181 at bats in AAA in 2019.

Ervin has over 500 major league at bats with just a .262 avg and .764 OPS.  He will turn 28 in July so it is unlikely that he will suddenly become a hitter for us.
Reply/Quote
I'd bet it's going to be Moose to third and Van Meter to second. We have no idea if Senzel will even be ready when the season starts. I wouldn't be surprised if Suarez was back before him. I also wouldn't be surprised to see them put him in AAA to begin the season to get him going.

They could still ad a guy like Brock Holt, as well.
Reply/Quote