Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Halftime Adjustments
Why are we so bad after half time? Obviously Green Bay is fresh on our minds but this is yet another example of us getting out coached once the opposing team(s) see our game plan.

Anyone remember the game San Diego hung 42 on us in the second half at home!

I think we know the answer is coaching but geesh its painful to see history repeat itself year after year, game after game...
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2017, 03:42 PM)corpjet Wrote: Why are we so bad after half time?  Obviously Green Bay is fresh on our minds but this is yet another example of us getting out coached once the opposing team(s) see our game plan.

I think we know the answer is coaching but geesh its painful to see history repeat itself year after year, game after game...

And you have perfectly described the life and times of a Bengal fan.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-29-2017, 03:42 PM)corpjet Wrote: Why are we so bad after half time?  Obviously Green Bay is fresh on our minds but this is yet another example of us getting out coached once the opposing team(s) see our game plan.

According to our illustirous head coach, the term "halftime adjustments" is a construct created by the media. 
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Of the top of my head, all the following are collapses after gaining a big advantage:

San Diego in 2006
Buffalo in 2010
Arizona in 2011 (I count that as a loss, as it definitely would have been if John Skeltons receiver didn't do a wide open face plant in the endzone)
Dallas in 2012
Pittsburgh in Cincy last year
Green Bay this year

I know there's plenty more but I don't feel like digging up any more painful memories. Anyway, not maintaining a lead is a staple of Marvin Lewis tenure as HC. Marvin is under the assumption that it's the 1970's and that a 10 or 14 point lead is safe as long as you play conservative, kill-the-clock football. That and being in complete denial about in-game adjustments is what leads to collapses  Whatever  
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2017, 04:09 PM)PhilHos Wrote: According to our illustirous head coach, the term "halftime adjustments" is a construct created by the media. 

Yup, nothing but journalistic jargon.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
This ranks in the top 5 of our 100 woes of Bengledom.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

It is a recurring theme nearly any and every "big game" under Marvin Lewis ! Up until the Last Pittsburgh playoff melt down we had only score like 16 points or something in the 2nd half of the previous 6 playoff games COMBINED.

What did we score like 13 or something in the 2nd half of that game ? We are regularly horribly out coached, out play called, however you want to put it.

Wash , rinse, repeat.  Sick Sick Sick
Reply/Quote
I cannot recall under Marvin Lewis observing significant half-time adjustments. What i have observed is the Bengals are dominant and the first half of some games and the coaching staff sticking to what they believe worked the first half. I also think the team in some games become conservative and play not-to-lose. It has been this way for a while. Drives me crazy.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(09-29-2017, 06:37 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I cannot recall under Marvin Lewis observing significant half-time adjustments.   What i have observed is the Bengals are dominant and the first half of some games and the coaching staff sticking to what they believe worked the first half.  I also think the team in some games become conservative and play not-to-lose.  It has been this way for a while.  Drives me crazy.

Marvin is capable, he just doesn't do it. Remember the Seattle game? His coaching the 2nd half was stellar in that game. It was everything you wanted in a coach. So, either it was a fluke and Seattle was just tired from scoring so often, or he had that perfect 2nd half where everything he did just unintentionally was perfect. Believe me, I'm not supporting him. I just don't think he has it and got lucky as hell. Maybe, that was the only time he ever made a halftime adjustment? Who knows? But most of you saw the same game I did. Guess this will go unexplained.

Reply/Quote
It is INSANITY i tell you, INSANITY!!!

Just do it again man, eventually it might work one damn time baby
Reply/Quote
Because Marvin is playing checkers while everybody else is playing chess.

It is like he does not even consider what the other team will do to stop what we have been doing.

Then of you think halftime adjustments are bad he is completely lost at adjusting on the fly from sidelines when things go wrong in 2nd half

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
This in addition to the playoff record is enough to show him the door, please MIKE Brown we implore you, make a change!!
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2017, 10:32 AM)corpjet Wrote: This in addition to the playoff record is enough to show him the door, please MIKE Brown we implore you, make a change!!

Pray

Reply/Quote
(09-29-2017, 04:09 PM)PhilHos Wrote: According to our illustirous head coach, the term "halftime adjustments" is a construct created by the media. 

Meanwhile I just watched a video where Bill Belichek talked about how Josh McDaniels did an in-game adjustment against the Texans that led to a Hogan TD.

But no. Marvin was right. Adjustments are made up by the media
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2017, 09:22 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Because Marvin is playing checkers while everybody else is playing chess.

It is like he does not even consider what the other team will do to stop what we have been doing.

Then of you think halftime adjustments are bad he is completely lost at adjusting on the fly from sidelines when things go wrong in 2nd half

Ever seen this on the sidelines ?

[Image: deer-in-headlights.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2017, 03:42 PM)corpjet Wrote: I think we know the answer is coaching but geesh its painful to see history repeat itself year after year, game after game...

You forgot contract after contract.....
Reply/Quote