Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suicide Squad- Yay or Nay?
After having a little more time to digest the movie, I can't help but feel more dissappointed in it. I feel like if DC had just taken their time with this one, the end result could have been so much better.

A standalone deadshot movie could have worked. Could have ended the film with the same scene from Suicide Squad and then a midcredits of the prison.

Same for Joker/Harley. The duo looks like it could be a real hit, but instead they decided to force the Joker into this movie. Could have set it up with and ending and credits scene.

DC could have contrasted so well against the MCU. Instead of building up through hero action movies with comedy, they could have prepared the Suicide Squad in a darker/ more serious setting. Instead DC looks to be throwing crap at the wall and seeing what sticks.

Hope they learn from this, because I for one believe that the characters of the DC universe are overall more interesting than Marvel characters.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2016, 11:07 AM)CKwi88 Wrote: After having a little more time to digest the movie, I can't help but feel more dissappointed in it. I feel like if DC had just taken their time with this one, the end result could have been so much better.

A standalone deadshot movie could have worked. Could have ended the film with the same scene from Suicide Squad and then a midcredits of the prison.

Same for Joker/Harley. The duo looks like it could be a real hit, but instead they decided to force the Joker into this movie. Could have set it up with and ending and credits scene.

DC could have contrasted so well against the MCU. Instead of building up through hero action movies with comedy, they could have prepared the Suicide Squad in a darker/ more serious setting. Instead DC looks to be throwing crap at the wall and seeing what sticks.

Hope they learn from this, because I for one believe that the characters of the DC universe are overall more interesting than Marvel characters.

This would be an interesting formula. Instead of stand alone hero movies that lead to the hero team up, it's stand alone villain movies that lead to their stand up. I think you can only do that with Will Smith as Deadshot and Harley/Joker, no one else. The Harley/Joker movie would have to be Batman, though. Maybe explains the dead Robin we saw in BvS. 

I haven't seen it yet, but do they explain how these criminals got into prison? This universe is interesting in that they showed us Superman's origins and then placed him into a world in which Batman has been fighting crime for nearly two decades. There are other heroes, but they won't be revealed to the world until Justice League, meaning this is a world with few public heroes. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Have no interest in seeing it. A bunch of villains to root for? Come on!
Happy Halloween
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2016, 12:24 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: This would be an interesting formula. Instead of stand alone hero movies that lead to the hero team up, it's stand alone villain movies that lead to their stand up. I think you can only do that with Will Smith as Deadshot and Harley/Joker, no one else. The Harley/Joker movie would have to be Batman, though. Maybe explains the dead Robin we saw in BvS. 

I haven't seen it yet, but do they explain how these criminals got into prison? This universe is interesting in that they showed us Superman's origins and then placed him into a world in which Batman has been fighting crime for nearly two decades. There are other heroes, but they won't be revealed to the world until Justice League, meaning this is a world with few public heroes. 

They have flashbacks as to Deadshot and Harley. El Diablo as well I think. What I had in my mind was a film for each of them that would have the story and all, and at the end they could have incorporated those scenes of how they got to the prison. Deadshot would have been easy, but I get that it is tough to separate Joker and Batman. Then the midcredits scene would have been of them doing something in the prison and you could have easter eggs to reveal the other less significant baddies. Like a cell door that has "Harkness, G" on it, or a sewer cap with "danger" written on it. 

I dunno. I guess if they went that way everyone would be knocking 'em for copying the Marvel model. Maybe DC just can't win here LOL
Reply/Quote
I give it a 60%. Sloppy story telling, underwhelming villain, and the music was so bad. Not that the songs were bad, but the way music was used.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
I genuinely enjoyed Suicide Squad. It's not my favorite movie and I was slightly disappointed in the amount of Jared Leto, but overall I think it was a decent film.

I think DC really missed their opportunity to make something special. WB went in and edited the heck out of the film after BvS was reviewed poorly (which they did last minute chopping of that as well). From what I understand they showed 2 different versions of the film to to focus groups before hand and then mashed the two together to get what they released in theaters. I want to see the film that David Ayers created before I truly judge the vision and quality of Suicide Squad. I also hope the WB learns to trust their directors in the future.

I absolutely loved Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy for Batman. Now I know that that era is over but DC should have started their universe around arguably the most beloved Superhero series of all time. If DC wants to crawl back from the hole that they dug themselves into, they'd be wise to attempt to get Christopher Nolan back into the DC universe. I think he would do an excellent job with the villain side of the DC universe (let Ben Affleck take care of the hero side).
Reply/Quote
Well I finally saw this. Pat, I may have been somewhere in your proximity when I saw it. I'm pretty sure I was in Landover. There was a giant stadium nearby that could have only been the Redskins.

As for the movie, it was terrible. Not fun terrible, but terrible terrible. I'm not a comic book guy so I'm just a guy who watched it for its own merits, and did I mention it was terrible? The guy from "The Killing" sucked. The Joker was just horrible. "Look at me. I'm craaazzzy." There just wasn't a character who was any good at all, and the storyline was stupid. And what was that little dance the witch kept doing when she was talking to people?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote