Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sunset's 1st mock '17
(01-24-2017, 03:56 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: I heard that about you.........     Ninja

Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2017, 02:53 PM)TheWhoDeyKid Wrote: William Jackson should fill that void

And I understand that.  However, I totally whiffed on looking at any DBs.  DBs, particularly young backups, heavily populate STs rosters.  While I have no doubt that the Bengals can put together a decent secondary with players already on the team, I really don't want to see any starters playing gunner on KO or Punt Coverage..  Not to mention, not adding any new talent leaves them dangerously thin, in case of injury.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2017, 09:00 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: And I understand that.  However, I totally whiffed on looking at any DBs.  DBs, particularly young backups, heavily populate STs rosters.  While I have no doubt that the Bengals can put together a decent secondary with players already on the team, I really don't want to see any starters playing gunner on KO or Punt Coverage..  Not to mention, not adding any new talent leaves them dangerously thin, in case of injury.

ST's took a little longer than usual to gel this past season, and that's definitely something I'd hate to see repeat in '17. If not a CB, I'm hoping we find a safety or two, especially in the mold of Nelson - another player we missed this past season. 
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
I think Adoree Jackson would be an excellent replacement for Pacman. I think his ideal fit would be as a nickel corner covering guys like Welker, Edelmen, etc. Has added value as a return man and can be used as a slot receiver similar to Andrew Hawkins.

If the Bengals pick up an extra 2nd round pick by either trading back or trading a player like McCarron, I'd seriously consider him depending upon who was left on the board.

William Likely, III is another CB I like in the 5th or later. Maybe even the 4th. Was considered a 2nd, possibly a 1st rounder before a knee injury this year. Another undersized nickel back type corner with return ability.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2017, 09:48 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I think Adoree Jackson would be an excellent replacement for Pacman. I think his ideal fit would be as a nickel corner covering guys like Welker, Edelmen, etc. Has added value as a return man and can be used as a slot receiver similar to Andrew Hawkins.

If the Bengals pick up an extra 2nd round pick by either trading back or trading a player like McCarron, I'd seriously consider him depending upon who was left on the board.

William Likely, III is another CB I like in the 5th or later. Maybe even the 4th. Was considered a 2nd, possibly a 1st rounder before a knee injury this year. Another undersized nickel back type corner with return ability.

Yes, I definitely paused for a moment when I saw those guys available, that late in the draft, as I was hell bent on getting two late steals on OLB...

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2017, 10:52 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yes, I definitely paused for a moment when I saw those guys available, that late in the draft, as I was hell bent on getting two late steals on OLB...

Yeah, they have invested in CBs so heavily recently which such little return on investment it's difficult investing even moe into the same position. 
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2017, 07:38 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Not going to attempt to see in the crystal ball and predict who we re-sign, sign from outside, cut, etc.

No trades assumed, though we do have a shitload of picks..

1.  Dalvin Cook  RB, Fl. St.

2.  Demarcus Williams  DE, Fl. St.

3.  Pat Elfliein  C, Ohio St.

4.  Elijah Lee  OLB, Kan. St.

4. (comp)  Eric Magnuson  OT, Mich.

4. (comp)  Davonte Fields  OLB, L'ville

5.  Michael Roberts  TE, Toledo

6.  Zane Gonzales  K, Ariz.

6. (comp)  KD Cannon  WR, Baylor

6. (comp)  Dawuane Smoot  DE, Illinois

7.  Josh Tapou  DT,  Colorado

Alright fellas, tear it up..

Only thing missing would be a CB to fill in for the sure-to-be-let-go Adam Jones, which you probably didn't know of at this time.  I would love this draft. 
Reply/Quote
Can't believe Smoot is considered a 6th rounder. That would be a steal.

I like the first few rounds in particular. Hopefully Cook's fumbling issues stay in Tallahassee. But he and Fournett are as talented as anything that's come along since Gordon. I might be inclined to include McCaffrey in there as well, but I'm not sure on his measurables.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2017, 11:20 AM)TGISunday Wrote: Can't believe Smoot is considered a 6th rounder. That would be a steal.

The knock on Smoot is that his best highlights came against inferior players that won't play in the NFL.  When faced against NC's John Heck... neutralized.   Played poorly against Magnuson, etc.  I hope he plays well in the Senior Bowl.  What better place to dispel that.  
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2017, 11:20 AM)TGISunday Wrote: Can't believe Smoot is considered a 6th rounder. That would be a steal.

I like the first few rounds in particular.   Hopefully Cook's fumbling issues stay in Tallahassee.  But he and Fournett are as talented as anything that's come along since Gordon. I might be inclined to include McCaffrey in there as well, but I'm not sure on his measurables.

I like Cook, because his body style is that of an all-purpose back.  When he is in the game, the playbook is not limited, and there are no tip offs to the defense that it's a run between the tackles, or likely going to be a passing play, etc.

I like Williams at DE, not only because of his footwork/moves as a pass rusher, but he is thick and wide framed, meaning that he can move inside as a DT as well.

I like Elflein because he is a naturally aggressive run blocker.  He was a bona fide All-American at RG, and took to the Center position like a fish to water.  He's a guy that could step right in at RG, should the Bengals be hell-bent on keeping Bodine around to live out his contract, and fail to sign Zeitler to an extension.

Probably my favorite "value" pick of this mock is Michael Roberts, the TE from Toledo.  Not only did he catch 16 TDs in a high scoring UT offense, his thick body makes for an excellent in-line and down field blocker.  He's sort of a throwback to the traditional style of TE.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2017, 09:00 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: And I understand that.  However, I totally whiffed on looking at any DBs.  DBs, particularly young backups, heavily populate STs rosters.  While I have no doubt that the Bengals can put together a decent secondary with players already on the team, I really don't want to see any starters playing gunner on KO or Punt Coverage..  Not to mention, not adding any new talent leaves them dangerously thin, in case of injury.

Don't forget they got a former 3rd rounder in Keivarie Russell, who has one INT in his lone snap.   Shocked

He can at least provide some depth, but it is apparent the Bengals will likely be using one of their top three picks on a CB.  
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2017, 12:14 PM)Goalpost Wrote: The knock on Smoot is that his best highlights came against inferior players that won't play in the NFL.  When faced against NC's John Heck... neutralized.   Played poorly against Magnuson, etc.  I hope he plays well in the Senior Bowl.  What better place to dispel that.  

He sure wasn't surrounded by talent at Illinois....Don't have to worry about the Bama-effect.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2017, 07:46 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Don't forget they got a former 3rd rounder in Keivarie Russell, who has one INT in his lone snap.   Shocked

He can at least provide some depth, but it is apparent the Bengals will likely be using one of their top three picks on a CB.  

But should they?  I mean, if they are looking for someone to come in and start, they should be looking into FA.  What are the chances that some rookie prospect is going to come in and jump over 3 1st round picks, plus Josh Shaw, and make the Starting 11?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2017, 02:18 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: But should they?  I mean, if they are looking for someone to come in and start, they should be looking into FA.  What are the chances that some rookie prospect is going to come in and jump over 3 1st round picks, plus Josh Shaw, and make the Starting 11?

FA CBs are expensive. Even the second tier guys. The price tag doesn't mean they won't sign a FA CB, but I think it makes it unlikely. Safeties are linebackers are more affordable. 
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2017, 06:55 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote:
FA CBs are expensive. Even the second tier guys.
The price tag doesn't mean they won't sign a FA CB, but I think it makes it unlikely. Safeties are linebackers are more affordable. 

Which is likely why we have 4 1st round CBs currently on the team, 3 if Jones gets his unconditional release.  I totally get their philosophy of draft and develop, over spending high in FA.  The problem is when it takes Kirk 3 years to put in a full season, Dennard a couple years to get quality reps, and Jackson was lost for his entire 1st year, they spend even more keeping veterans around while the young guys mend and develop.  In my mind, Josh Shaw looks to be on the fast track to development.  He wasn't taken in the 1st round.  They can get another developmental CB in mid to late rounds that will work just fine.  The problem arises if the guys that we already have 1st round picks invested in, continue to not live up to expectations.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2017, 07:16 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Which is likely why we have 4 1st round CBs currently on the team, 3 if Jones gets his unconditional release.  I totally get their philosophy of draft and develop, over spending high in FA.  The problem is when it takes Kirk 3 years to put in a full season, Dennard a couple years to get quality reps, and Jackson was lost for his entire 1st year, they spend even more keeping veterans around while the young guys mend and develop.  In my mind, Josh Shaw looks to be on the fast track to development.  He wasn't taken in the 1st round.  They can get another developmental CB in mid to late rounds that will work just fine.  The problem arises if the guys that we already have 1st round picks invested in, continue to not live up to expectations.

I agree with you. I think they will try to keep Kirkpatrick. The Bengals issued an apology rather than release Pacman so I believe he won't be released. I think the Bengals will want to give Dennard and WJIII their shot on the field to prove themselves. I think that makes a FA CB less likely. Now if they are unable to re-sign Dre or release Pacman then I could see a FA CB more of a possibility. 
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2017, 02:18 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: But should they?  I mean, if they are looking for someone to come in and start, they should be looking into FA.  What are the chances that some rookie prospect is going to come in and jump over 3 1st round picks, plus Josh Shaw, and make the Starting 11?

I hear ya, but if Jones is released, the depth is paper thin.  I would rather go with WJIII and Dre outside, with Dennard and Shaw fighting it out for nickel CB with Russell and a draft pick as the backups.  But remember, Dennard is in his contract year.  They need to have a plan for his replacement in 2018 if he isn't signed long term.  At this point, he hasn't earned anything.  
Reply/Quote
You keep saying William but I think you mean Walker. I know who you mean but it might confuse others. ?
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2017, 07:40 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: You keep saying William but I think you mean Walker. I know who you mean but it might confuse others. ?

Oops, I sure as heck did screw that name up!  Thanks for the heads up. Wink

And, after 580 views, you were the only one to catch that error. Rep to you!

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote