Sunset's final mock 2020
1 Joe Burrow, QB LSU

33 Zack Baun, EDGE Wisconsin

65 Michael Pittman Jr., WR USC

107 Ben Bartch, OT St. John

147 David Woodward, LB Utah State

180 Trey Adams, OT Washington

215 Kamal Martin, LB Minnesota

And there it is. The team did itself a lot of favors by signing quality free agents this year, thus allowing me to load up on LB and OL, as well as get a future WR1, and not to mention a franchise QB. Cool
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I like it, I wanna see a WR and LB on day two. Only thing I'd change is another WR late instead of LBer.
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2020, 10:48 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I like it, I wanna see a WR and LB on day two. Only thing I'd change is another WR late instead of LBer.

I debated on that very thought, as there were also several one and two tool WRs available, as well.  In the end, I went with Martin, the inside LB.  Sure, he's a one tool LB, but he's very good at it, and will be perfect on the inside on those odd front situations.  I suppose that I could have went the other route and selected another WR, but honestly there will still be plenty of decent talent for UDFA signings.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Trey Adams in the 6th is a steal, like Baun but I think he is more of luxury then he fills an immediate need. Would rather draft a pure off Ball LB instead of him. David Woodard seems like a poor man's version of Vigil
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2020, 10:54 PM)J24 Wrote: Trey Adams in the 6th is a steal, like Baun but I think he is more of luxury then he fills an immediate need.  Would rather draft a pure off Ball LB instead of him. David Woodard seems like a poor man's version of Vigil

Baun is a multi tool player, when he fully develops as a pro athlete, I fully believe that he'll prove worthy of the 33rd pick.  You're right, Woodard is sort of a Vigil clone.  Vigil ain't terrible, but Woodard would be younger and cheaper.

Edit: Part of the point of being active in free agency is to free up the draft to take good football players by minimizing needs. Sure, Zack Baun isn't an immediate "need", but he's a really good football player, and in this league you can never have too many pass rushers.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I like it. I’ll be very happy if we take Pittman in the 3rd.

Reply/Quote
(04-10-2020, 11:10 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I like it. I’ll be very happy if we take Pittman in the 3rd.

Other than Joe Burrow, he's the only player that I've made a point of including in every single mock that I've done this year.  Michael Pittman might not be star as a rookie, but I just have a feeling that when AJ Green rides off into the sunset, we'll be in good hands with Pittman taking over as our WR1.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I think the organization is content with Hart and Johnson at RT, so if we look for o-line help in the draft I think we should focus on the interior. No issue with Adams late though.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2020, 11:50 PM)Big Boss Wrote: I think the organization is content with Hart and Johnson at RT, so if we look for o-line help in the draft I think we should focus on the interior.  No issue with Adams late though.

Bartch has the frame and power to play Guard, until the need arises to push him out to Tackle.  Small school Tackle likely isn't prepared to play outside in the NFL just yet.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2020, 10:16 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: 1 Joe Burrow, QB LSU

And there it is.  The team did itself a lot of favors by signing quality free agents this year, thus allowing me to load up on LB and OL, as well as get a future WR1, and not to mention a franchise QB.  Cool

Solid mock overall.  I'm not as high on Baun as most, but I think he'll be a solid starter for a long time.  Pittman is a really good WR prospect with #1 potential.  Bartch is a good day 3 project T that can probably come in at TE in heavy sets.  
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2020, 11:28 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Other than Joe Burrow, he's the only player that I've made a point of including in every single mock that I've done this year.  Michael Pittman might not be star as a rookie, but I just have a feeling that when AJ Green rides off into the sunset, we'll be in good hands with Pittman taking over as our WR1.

Not that we'll have him playing STs long-term, but Pittman is a monster on STs. Dude is absolutely fearless.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
I like the draft, two linebackers, one a high pick and two o linemen.
Reply/Quote
Nice mock. If we walk away from the first 4 rounds with those guys, I'd call the draft a huge success. Looking it over though, it really makes me want another pick or 2 to add some more depth to a few other position groups, because I like the idea of 3 backers.

If they're able to get one of those G/T combo types in the first 4 rounds, I think they likely stop on the OL after that. With the way the coaches have been talking, it sounds like they are high on their 2nd year players and are comfortable playing with Hart & Su'a-Filo's higher floors if the young guys don't develop.
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2020, 01:16 PM)Schmitbuck Wrote: Nice mock. If we walk away from the first 4 rounds with those guys, I'd call the draft a huge success. Looking it over though, it really makes me want another pick or 2 to add some more depth to a few other position groups, because I like the idea of 3 backers.

If they're able to get one of those G/T combo types in the first 4 rounds, I think they likely stop on the OL after that. With the way the coaches have been talking, it sounds like they are high on their 2nd year players and are comfortable playing with Hart & Su'a-Filo's higher floors if the young guys don't develop.

I think that Bartch fits that G/T type, and I really like Trey Adams in the late rounds.  I think Adams' ceiling is the sky, if given time to fully develop his hand technique, and given a year or two of NFL strength and conditioning work.

It may seem like overkill on the OL, but the Bengals still have a way to go, before they can achieve that dominating OL like they had in the "Glory Years", or even the '05 or '15 OL for that matter.  I'd like to see them with with enough of a talent pool to force the sort of training camp competitiveness that leaves them with a dominating 5 man unit.  Hopkins looks good at Center for the next several years, Jonah should be a huge bump at LT. (but what if he is re-injured or slow to develop??)  I'd like to see Hart made to be expendable and replaced by a guy who grades at least 15 points higher on the PFF scale.  I'd like to see a pair of Guards that can pull and trap effectively, as well as have enough ass to move the pile for a yard or two on demand.

That's exactly what it takes to get to, and have a fighting chance of winning the Super Bowl.  That Rams OL from 2018?  They were a badass unit, I fell pretty confident that Zac Taylor would like to give his new franchise QB just that same sort of OL to operate behind.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2020, 02:08 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I think that Bartch fits that G/T type, and I really like Trey Adams in the late rounds.  I think Adams' ceiling is the sky, if given time to fully develop his hand technique, and given a year or two of NFL strength and conditioning work.

It may seem like overkill on the OL, but the Bengals still have a way to go, before they can achieve that dominating OL like they had in the "Glory Years", or even the '05 or '15 OL for that matter.  I'd like to see them with with enough of a talent pool to force the sort of training camp competitiveness that leaves them with a dominating 5 man unit.  Hopkins looks good at Center for the next several years, Jonah should be a huge bump at LT. (but what if he is re-injured or slow to develop??)  I'd like to see Hart made to be expendable and replaced by a guy who grades at least 15 points higher on the PFF scale.  I'd like to see a pair of Guards that can pull and trap effectively, as well as have enough ass to move the pile for a yard or two on demand.

That's exactly what it takes to get to, and have a fighting chance of winning the Super Bowl.  That Rams OL from 2018?  They were a badass unit, I fell pretty confident that Zac Taylor would like to give his new franchise QB just that same sort of OL to operate behind.

Yes, yes, yes.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
If Adams can stay healthy he has the potential to be a starting caliber tackle on either side.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2020, 03:34 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: If Adams can stay healthy he has the potential to be a starting caliber tackle on either side.

Early on, when Adams was being mocked with the top of the Tackle class, I was not interested in him.  However, with most boards having him falling to the late rounds now?  I think he's completely worth drafting and seeing what we can do with him, could turn out to be one of those "epic late round gems" that screws up everyone's preconceived notion that late round guys don't pan out.   LOL

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2020, 10:16 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: 1 Joe Burrow, QB LSU

And there it is.  The team did itself a lot of favors by signing quality free agents this year, thus allowing me to load up on LB and OL, as well as get a future WR1, and not to mention a franchise QB.  Cool
You get Wedge's Seal of Approval!  Wink  I do have 1 question though. When you took Woodward, was Wilson still on the board? 
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2020, 12:14 PM)sandwedge Wrote: You get Wedge's Seal of Approval!  Wink  I do have 1 question though. When you took Woodward, was Wilson still on the board? 

He (Wilson) was not on the board, so I read long and hard on Woodward before taking him.  Both of them were still there, at the top of the 4th, but I just felt that Bartch was a tremendous value at that #107 slot.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote