Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Super Bowl Mock
(02-03-2022, 10:57 PM)Synric Wrote: As Daniel Jeremiah said this is a trenches draft on both sides. Resign Bates draft trenches.

If I was to do that, I'd probably drop James Daniels and draft Zion Johnson instead of Hill.
Then my 3rd rounder would probably be an OT instead of Ingram.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Something that bears repeating is last year (21 season) a ton of players around the entire league took 1 year deals meaning this year there will be another ton looking for new deals. They can't all get multi-million dollar deals and I suspect the 1 year deal thing may continue for awhile longer..  That may depress salary demands more than you think.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(02-11-2022, 09:04 AM)grampahol Wrote: Something that bears repeating is last year (21 season) a ton of players around the entire league took 1 year deals meaning this year there will be another ton looking for new deals. They can't all get multi-million dollar deals and I suspect the 1 year deal thing may continue for awhile longer..  That may depress salary demands more than you think.. 

A big reason many players last offseason took 1-year deals was because the cap dropped, but it was expected 2022 would have a much bigger cap.
As such, I doubt as many players will take 1-year deals compared to last year.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2022, 08:34 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Now that the Bengals are in the Super Bowl, it's guaranteed they'll either pick 31st or 32nd.
Due to all the criticism/debate in my last mock around FAs and the money I listed for each, I decided to take a slightly different approach for this one.
It will still have FAs, but I'm only listing the starters being signed and not listing any $$. Just trust that I've taken cost into account when trying to build this.

NOTE - In this mock, Bates is not tagged, as the cost of the tag will be $13 mill. I decided instead to use that $13 mill to put toward OL. I address FS early in the draft to replace Bates. I also do not re-sign both Ogunjobi and Hill, just one. I use the saved $$ to also put toward OL.

Step 1: Releases
Trae Waynes (frees up $11 mill in cap)

Step 2: Notable Re-signings
CJ Uzomah - Uzomah did well enough given the opportunities. He's also a leader of the team, and they will want to keep him.

BJ Hill - Hill is more well-rounded than Ogunjobi, so I definitely wanna keep him. For those who prefer Ogunjobi over Hill, let me point out some stats:
Hill had only 1.5 less sacks and just a few less QB Hits than Ogunjobi, but Ogunjobi had 50% more pass rushing snaps than Hill. Hill also had 1 more tackle than Ogunjobi despite playing 222 fewer snaps.
EDIT - With the playoff games added, BJ Hill has tied Ogunjobi in sacks but still 70 fewer pass rush snaps. PFF actually has Hill with a higher pass rush grade than Ogunjobi (67.3 vs 61.7).

Eli Apple - Apple has really come along this season. Bengals should be able to cut Waynes, re-sign Apple, and still have some money left over. Apple can be the starter opposite Awuzie.

Step 3: Notable External Free Agents
James Daniels, IOL CHI - A guy I really liked back when Billy Price was drafted, but I didn't think he fit the scheme at the time. Turns out, that's all changed now that the Bengals run outside zone. Daniels hasn't played much C in the NFL yet, but he's been good at both OG spots. He'll cover RG for this coming year, with possibility of moving to C in 2023 based on what happens with Hopkins.

Andrew Norwell, OG JAX - New starting LG. Upgrade as a pass blocker over Spain. Given he grew up in Cincy (Anderson HS) and played at Ohio St, he could want to play with the Bengals for sure. I'd be fine keeping Spain too, if the team wants to keep the continuity. I just think Norwell is a better pass protector (albeit worse run blocker).

Morgan Moses, RT NYJ - Improvement over Reiff. He's a couple years younger (will be 31 vs Reiff's 33) and also (somewhat) better both as a pass blocker and run blocker. Not quite as athletic as Reiff but very big and great length. Showed he can hang in a zone scheme by being successful with the Jets. One other big thing he has over Reiff is being able to stay healthy and consistent.

The starting OL is now set with Williams-Norwell-Hopkins-Daniels-Moses.

Backup DT, 2 depth WRs, backup safety, backup CB, depth edge, and backup QB addressed in FA (internal and external) on cheap deals with remaining cap.

Step 4: NFL Draft
1) Daxton Hill, DB Michigan (6'0", 192 lb) - I'd like to keep Bates, but if I can upgrade the OL with Bates' tag money, I'm doing that and drafting a FS replacement. Hill is the epitome of a center fielder FS. Hill can cover with the best of them. He's so good in coverage that he can even play some CB. Even though he's lighter than 200 lbs (which is Bates' size), he is a good, aggressive tackler and attacks in the run game too.

2) Alontae Taylor, CB Tennessee (6'0", 196 lb) - Good zone coverage outside CB who has speed. Originally came to college as a WR but has transitioned to CB quite well, improving year over year. I think Taylor could come in and start if needed.

3) Ed Ingram, OG LSU (6'3", 317 lb) - Experience at both OG spots and played with Burrow and Chase in 2019. I do think the Bengals probably will want to have Smith, Carman, or Adeniji move back outside, so they decide instead to get a true OG instead of an OT-turned-OG. Ingram comes in to back up the vets and eventually take over as a starter in a couple years.

4) Jake Ferguson, TE Wisconsin (6'4", 244 lb) - Well-rounded TE who can block but is also underrated as a pass catcher. Across 4 seasons in Wisconsin's run-heavy scheme, Ferguson put up 1618 yards and 13 TDs on 145 receptions (11.2 YPR). I see him similar to someone like Dalton Schultz and an improvement in the passing game over Sample.

4comp1) Calvin Austin III, WR/PR Memphis (5'8", 173 lb) - This dude is small, but he's electric. Memphis used him all kinds of ways, and he delivered. He especially thrives with YAC. Austin is also a good PR, which the Bengals need. I see Austin as the 5th WR activated on gamedays, serving as the team's PR and coming into the offense occasionally for gadget plays and in the slot.

4comp2) Bailey Zappe, QB WKU (6'1", 220 lb) - If the Bengals get a second comp pick like is rumored (John Ross), let's take a chance on a backup QB. I went for a somewhat local guy to me in Bailey Zappe. He had a monster year this year at WKU, putting up 69.3% completion for 5967 yards, 62 TDs, 11 INTs. He seems like a good leader and has a lot of good traits. The "negatives" are he played in Conference USA, shorter than preferred, and doesn't have elite arm strength (but sufficient). He's not a dual-threat QB, but he does have some ability to scramble to extend the play, always looking to pass. He has some qualities that remind me of Burrow - highly accurate, good touch, and clear leader of the team.

5) Ty Chandler, RB/KR UNC (5'11", 203 lb) - Productive RB in both the SEC (Tennessee) and ACC (UNC). Played more in a RBBC with the Vols, but he got lead back duties at UNC. He had a handful of receptions each season (10-19 each season). He looks to have solid speed, which would help add some explosion to the Bengals offense. It also helps that he has plenty of KR experience - 38 KRs for 850 yards (22.4 YPR) and 1 TD.

6) D'Marco Jackson, LB App St (6'0", 235 lb) - A LB who could be a two-down thumper and ST ace, replacing Evans. Jackson isn't great in coverage, so he'd get subbed out on passing downs if playing defensive snaps. He does have the speed to chase down ball carriers though and should be good on ST. Won Sun Belt DPOY. Also played with ADG for two seasons, so they have that connection already.

7) Nick Ford, OL Utah (6'5", 315 lb) - Extremely versatile OL who has played every single position in college. Ford was voted All-Pac-12 twice. I've seen multiple draft sites say his best position in the NFL will probably be center. He's projected so low because he's been moved around so much in college that he hasn't had the time to develop at one position. I think he's a perfect candidate to take a gamble on late and see if he can turn into something if put at one position. Ford would make the perfect PS candidate if not making the last OL spot on the 53-person roster.

Fantastic Mock Ocho. Fixing the OL with Daniels, Moses, Norwell and using the first pick on Daxton Hill takes the sting out of 
losing Bates. You said it right, want to keep him but the OL is the essential thing to fix this Offseason and Bates really stepped
it up in the Playoffs and brought himself back to big money status most likely after an okay regular season. 

Love the Taylor, Ingram, Ferguson picks. Ford is a steal that late. Also really like your thought on getting a Return man like 
Austin which we need and Zappe is a great potential pick that could lead to a trade in our favor later if he becomes a great 
backup. I think he could be better than Allen immediately. Ty Chandler I think is also a steal where you have him going.

Great job. Rock On
Reply/Quote