Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Super Bowl Play Clock Concern
Bengals have been taking clock down to Zero a lot. Sometimes they get delay of game penalty.
Rams have been taking clock down to Zero a lot and never get delay of game penalty

Now it is a RULE.  Rams should NOT be allowed to get plays off way after snap clock goes to Zero.

I hope the Refs call it even.  Don't call delay of game on Bengals and let Rams go many seconds after clock is at Zero, as in their win over 49ers.  Make Stafford play by the RULES also.

Again, Burrow and Stafford take the clock down near Zero a lot on play changes.   I don't want to see Bengals getting called and hear that The Crowd and Defense have Rattled Burrow, and see Stafford take all day after Zero and hear what a great quarterback he is.  Call The Game Fair and Square. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Im not sure what data you're using to make this statement so I don't know if its true. My gut says you're over-reacting to 1 or 2 calls.

The Bengals did have a couple of these in the playoffs likely because crowd noise at their away games. Nothing that had a meaningful impact overall in the game and given circumstances nothing to over-react to. Seemed like more of a problem at Tennessee and a bugged they worked out at KC (though there was at least one call in KC against them).

I did not watch the Rams games as closely so I don't know exactly what instance/s you're referring to but we are talking about but different games different refs.

I don't see why in the same game with same official's this wouldn't be called equally or fairly. Additionally despite this being in the Rams stadium this isn't really a home game in the true sense. Crowd noise will not likely be any different for either team while their respective offenses are on the field.

This feels like trying to find something to discuss/breakdown for the sake of doing so rather than a legitimate concern.
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2022, 03:11 PM)kevin Wrote: Bengals have been taking clock down to Zero a lot. Sometimes they get delay of game penalty.
Rams have been taking clock down to Zero a lot and never get delay of game penalty

Now it is a RULE.  Rams should NOT be allowed to get plays off way after snap clock goes to Zero.

I hope the Refs call it even.  Don't call delay of game on Bengals and let Rams go many seconds after clock is at Zero, as in their win over 49ers.  Make Stafford play by the RULES also.

From what I heard on one of the broadcasts (can't remember which one), there is a ref that watches the play clock. Once it hits zero, that ref then looks to see if the ball has been snapped or not.
From that process, there could be a slight window where the ball could be snapped just right after the clock hits zero but not get called for delay of game.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'm not going to complain about the playoff refs too much. Yes, they let the Chiefs get away with all kinds of holds, but we got away with a couple of false starts as well.
Reply/Quote
Not gonna lie. Platy clocks are kinda cute.

[Image: clkf,bamboo,white,1000x1000-bg,f8f8f8.u3.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
This reminds me of the Ravens game this past season where the play clock had expired by a few seconds and was not called, allowing Tucker to kick the winning field goal from 66 yards to beat the Lions. I thought that would end up being huge in the playoff race. But, getting to the Super Bowl wipes out all those close calls that went against the Bengals this year.
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2022, 03:38 PM)motoarch Wrote: Im not sure what data you're using to make this statement so I don't know if its true.  My gut says you're over-reacting to 1 or 2 calls.

The Bengals did have a couple of these in the playoffs likely because crowd noise at their away games.  Nothing that had a meaningful impact overall in the game and given circumstances nothing to over-react to.  Seemed like more of a problem at Tennessee and a bugged they worked out at KC (though there was at least one call in KC against them).

I did not watch the Rams games as closely so I don't know exactly what instance/s you're referring to but we are talking about but different games different refs.

I don't see why in the same game with same official's this wouldn't be called equally or fairly.  Additionally despite this being in the Rams stadium this isn't really a home game in the true sense.  Crowd noise will not likely be any different for either team while their respective offenses are on the field.

This feels like trying to find something to discuss/breakdown for the sake of doing so rather than a legitimate concern.

Many times in the 49ers game, the clock was many seconds after zero when Rams snapped the ball, but no delay of game.  Announcers called it out.  It wasn't a close thing, the Refs just were NOT going to call delay of game on the Rams no matter how long they took after clock hit Zero. 

I'm not trying to find a discussion. This is a real concern of mine.  There are RULES in this game and I hope The Refs call the game Even and Both Ways.  If Bengals have to get the ball snapped or get delay of game, but Rams can take all day and not get delay of game penalty, that would be an unfair advantage. 

I point it out because Rams should have got Delay Of Game Penalty many times in NFC Championship Game, and announcers even said so.  Not talking about a split second here.  The clock would go to Zero and many seconds later Rams would snap the ball.  They should have been moved backwards in penalty yards.  

If Bengals have to get snap off before Zero, but Rams don't,  that would be an abuse of The Rules by The Refs helping Los Angeles win, as they did against 49ers.  All I ask is The Refs call it Equal and Both Ways.  If they aren't going to call delay of game on Rams, don't call it on Bengals. 

It is also important because both Burrow and Stafford changing plays take the clock down to around Zero often. Delay Of Game needs to be called more Equal than NFC Championship Game where Refs were not flagging and moving back Rams, no mater how many seconds after clock hit Zero. NFL, make the Refs call the game equal.

Again, I'm not talking about a split second here. I'm talking clock hitting Zero and 3 to 5 seconds later Rams snap the ball and gain yards, when The Rules are they should be moved backwards yards by The Refs. This is what Rams were getting away with in NFC Championship. What I DON'T want to see is Rams calling Delay Of Game on Burrow and Bengals on the split second, and Rams allowed to take an extra 3 to 5 seconds after Zero. I don't want to hear about Crowd Noise, that is nonsense. This would be The Refs cheating and calling the game in favor of Rams, which would be worse than Pete Rose. Call The Game Even.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2022, 03:46 PM)ochocincos Wrote: From what I heard on one of the broadcasts (can't remember which one), there is a ref that watches the play clock. Once it hits zero, that ref then looks to see if the ball has been snapped or not.
From that process, there could be a slight window where the ball could be snapped just right after the clock hits zero but not get called for delay of game.

I've heard this explanation before and it doesn't make sense to continue doing it that way.  We've all seen many instances where the clock hits zero, the center still has the ball, another full second+ goes by, then they snap the ball.  That screw-job up in Detroit that benefited the Ravens leaps to mind. This needs to be monitored by an official off the field and up in the booth.  If we can see it clearly on a screen, then so can they.  
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2022, 03:11 PM)kevin Wrote: Bengals have been taking clock down to Zero a lot. Sometimes they get delay of game penalty.

Again, Burrow and Stafford take the clock down near Zero a lot on play changes.   I don't want to see Bengals getting called and hear that The Crowd and Defense have Rattled Burrow, and see Stafford take all day after Zero and hear what a great quarterback he is.  Call The Game Fair and Square. 

The Rams have more delay of game penalties than Cincinnati does this season. I'm not sure there is any basis in reality here. 
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2022, 11:36 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: The Rams have more delay of game penalties than Cincinnati does this season. I'm not sure there is any basis in reality here. 

Hey!

Don't step on Kevin's narrative with facts.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2022, 12:08 AM)motoarch Wrote: Hey!

Don't step on Kevin's narrative with facts.

Honestly, we are the much more disciplined team so the Rams should have more concern here.
Reply/Quote
I don't care that 49ers got shafted on this. I will care if Bengals get shafted on this. THE FACTS are the TV Announcers mentioned often how The Rams were going long after Zero on snapping the ball in the NFC Championship Game. Not a split second, but TV Announcers were amazed Refs were NOT calling Rams for Delay Of Game. THAT is my concern. Rams got away with it in NFC Championship, and THAT IS A FACT.

It is very important that Bengals are not rushed by Refs on snap of ball, but Rams can go 3 to 5 seconds after clock hits Zero. Some may not see a big difference. Well, one team getting flagged and now 2nd and 15 and the other team going past zero and never getting flagged would be a Big Deal.

The Rams got away with it all NFC Championship. I don't care about 49ers. I just don't want to see Bengals shafted in Super Bowl.

Both Burrow and Stafford often take the clock down near zero as they change plays at the line. There is a Time Clock on this. I can see Refs giving that extra second at zero, but in changing plays in NFC Championship Stafford was getting an extra 3 to 5 seconds. It defeats the point of the Time Clock, it is not fair to the Defense, it is not fair to Burrow if the Refs are only going to give Stafford extra time to change play call. Both Teams should have to play by The Same Rules. That was NOT the case in the NFC Championship as Stafford and Rams were going way past zero and not getting flagged.

But let me be more exact. The Refs let The Rams CHEAT in that NFC Championship, and I don't want to see that garbage in The Super Bowl. If the Rams can't win in their own stadium without Cheating and Help from the Refs, then that's the Rams problem. Let the Rams play our Bengals straight up, NO CHEATING, and see who wins.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2022, 12:12 AM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Honestly, we are the much more disciplined team so the Rams should have more concern here.

Agreed and this was my biggest point in finally deciding I believed in Zac as a coach.

The fact that the Bengals are the least penalized team in the league speaks volumes about the level of discipline and unselfishness this team is playing at.  That has to start with Zac.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2022, 12:26 AM)kevin Wrote: I don't care that 49ers got shafted on this.  I will care if Bengals get shafted on this.  THE FACTS are the TV Announcers mentioned often how The Rams were going long after Zero on snapping the ball in the NFC Championship Game.  Not a split second, but TV Announcers were amazed Refs were NOT calling Rams for Delay Of Game.  THAT is my concern.  Rams got away with it in NFC Championship, and THAT IS A FACT.  

It is very important that Bengals are not rushed by Refs on snap of ball, but Rams can go 3 to 5 seconds after clock hits Zero. Some may not see a big difference. Well, one team getting flagged and now 2nd and 15 and the other team going past zero and never getting flagged would be a Big Deal.

The Rams got away with it all NFC Championship. I don't care about 49ers. I just don't want to see Bengals shafted in Super Bowl.

Both Burrow and Stafford often take the clock down near zero as they change plays at the line.  There is a Time Clock on this. I can see Refs giving that extra second at zero, but in changing plays in NFC Championship Stafford was getting an extra 3 to 5 seconds.  It defeats the point of the Time Clock, it is not fair to the Defense, it is not fair to Burrow if the Refs are only going to give Stafford extra time to change play call.  Both Teams should have to play by The Same Rules.  That was NOT the case in the NFC Championship as Stafford and Rams were going way past zero and not getting flagged.

But let me be more exact. The Refs let The Rams CHEAT in that NFC Championship, and I don't want to see that garbage in The Super Bowl.  If the Rams can't win in their own stadium without Cheating and Help from the Refs, then that's the Rams problem.  Let the Rams play our Bengals straight up, NO CHEATING, and see who wins.

Your caplock key gets stuck doesn't actually make your case any more true.

Let it go man.
Reply/Quote