Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Superbowl or sustained success?
The championship team will always have that on the mantle. You don't hang banners for getting close...unless you're the Colts.

Oh, and I'm not sure you were going there, but the Bengals haven't exactly had much sustained success really.

They're more like your rugby team, sans the championship.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2018, 03:30 AM)AussieBengal Wrote: Which would you prefer?

A team that is consistently making the playoffs and competing for the championship but just falls short

or

one perfect season where the team goes all the way and wins the Superbowl but for 20 years either side of it has minimal success.

The reason I ask is that is the exact scenario that the other team in my life had. I support the Wests Tigers in the National Rugby League here in Australia. Since 1990 they have made the playoffs on 3 occasions, the last time being in 2011 and on the weekend loss a game that put them out of the running for the playoffs for this year.

Though in 2005 a miracle happened and despite being second last in the competition at the halfway part of the season they stormed through the 2nd half of the year and won the competition. Before that year they hadn't made the playoffs in 15 years and after that year it was another 5 years before they would make the playoffs again.

So what would you prefer, a team that is always competing but just falls short or that one perfect year where a miracle occurs?

Neither, I want a team that consistently pushes to the SB regularly. A la, New England.

The idea that you can only have one great season or consistently be just not good enough is an untrue idea.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-21-2018, 12:58 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The championship team will always have that on the mantle. You don't hang banners for getting close...unless you're the Colts.

Oh, and I'm not sure you were going there, but the Bengals haven't exactly had much sustained success really.

They're more like your rugby team, sans the championship.

Ive had a lot more fun watching the Bengals make the playoffs since 2011 than the Rugby team lol. But with no playoff wins I get your point. I'm just destined to follow unsuccessful teams lol.
Reply/Quote
If the Bengals had sustained success that may be a good question.

But they have not.

Super Bowl win and lift that weight off our chest.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2018, 01:47 AM)Go Cards Wrote: If the Bengals had sustained success that may be a good question.

But they have not.  

Super Bowl win and lift that weight off our chest.

Compared to my Rugby League team, making the playoffs 5 out of the last 7 years is more successful lol
Reply/Quote
I want a Superbowl win.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
The Superbowl, because you can always use the " ... AT LEAST WE.." in every conversation your fandom is attacked .. hehe
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2018, 12:58 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The championship team will always have that on the mantle. 

Oh boy!  Nothing like spending a few hours every Sunday looking at a trophy.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2018, 01:39 AM)AussieBengal Wrote: Ive had a lot more fun watching the Bengals make the playoffs since 2011 than the Rugby team lol. But with no playoff wins I get your point. I'm just destined to follow unsuccessful teams lol.

They've missed the playoffs the last 2 years. I guess you could consider 2011-2015 consistent success, but even with that, this team has had far more consistent losing than consistent winning. 

(08-21-2018, 01:18 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Oh boy!  Nothing like spending a few hours every Sunday looking at a trophy.

Better tell all those teams to remove those championship banners. Fred says they don't matter. May as well stop playing if your goal is a championship. Wait...why are they playing again? 

[Image: s-l300.jpg]

Who you trying to impress, Mike? Fred don't care about your old rings.

[Image: joe-montana.jpg]

Pfff...what have you done lately, Joe? No one even talks about the 49ers dynasty anymore.

[Image: rs_560x415-150615092637-1024-tom-brady-r...-61515.jpg]

If the Pats go 4-12 this year, who cares about those 5 championships, Tom? I bet Pats fans would cash those in for a 10-6 one-n-done.

[Image: Celtics_original_crop_north.jpeg?1327518...=630&h=420]

Who cares about history? The Celtics are irrelevant unless they win in 2019. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I have to say the fact that during the Mike Brown era there were only 2 seasons where I thought we could legitimate win the SB and both of them ended in infuriating losses to the Steelers has me wondering where this "consistent success" we are trading is coming from.

Maybe the Bengals should have recorded the "One-n-Done Shuffle" in 2015 to commemorate their memorable run, or something.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2018, 02:02 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Better tell all those teams to remove those championship banners. Fred says they don't matter. May as well stop playing if your goal is a championship. Wait...why are they playing again? 

Never said they don't matter.  But that is typical.  People can't disagree with hat I really say so they make up something they can argue with.

But I do agree with that final question.  Why are the Celtics still playing if they have already won so many championships.  Why don't they just sell tickets for fans to come and look at banners.  Why don't they sell the TV rights to a broadcast showing the banners hanging in the rafters?

Reds have a more World Championships than the Astros, so why don't you go to their message board and start mocking them?
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2018, 02:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Never said they don't matter.  But that is typical.  People can't disagree with hat I really say so they make up something they can argue with.

But I do agree with that final question.  Why are the Celtics still playing if they have already won so many championships.  Why don't they just sell tickets for fans to come and look at banners.  Why don't they sell the TV rights to a broadcast showing the banners hanging in the rafters?

Reds have a more World Championships than the Astros, so why don't you go to their message board and start mocking them?

As a Celtics fan I can tell you I have a cheapo pennant with all their world title years on it (including the 13 of 17 I wasn't even alive during) but I still make a point to watch them (usually) win multiple playoff series and the occasional world title since. 

Winning a world title is a marketing chip in any sense.  The 85 Bears are still a thing, even if it's mostly a joke or in good fun, and every time I've been at a Steelers game and they are down by more than 7 points they all start talking about how many SB wins they have.  Yes, this stuff is a little on the delusional side, but winning it all is worth a lot more than making the playoffs and falling flat on your face over and over.

Hell, the 90s Bills and the 2007 Patriots showed us that making it as far as you can without winning it all can actually become a strike against you.  I know they printed up NYEA NYEAH 18-1 shirts to mock the Patriots. 
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2018, 07:25 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Superbowl

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=3983540]

Dude - you got it up here before I could - good call!
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2018, 04:12 PM)Nately120 Wrote: How is this even a hypothetical with a team that hasn't finished higher than 12th place in the NFL in 27 years? I don't get it. Maybe I'm spoiled by our recent relative success, but I'd take a SB win somewhere between 2003 and today rather than the real-life memories I have of:

getting Kimo-ed out of the playoffs in 2005
flopping against Mark Sanchez and the Jets in 2009
flopping against TJ Yates and the Texans in 2011
scoring an amazing 3 points on offense against the Texans in 2012
not losing at home until it counted the most vs the Chargers in 2013
watching our discarded scrapheap RB run over us in 2014
not being amazed the Bengals found a way to beg the Steelers to humilaite them yet again in 2015

Dear lord, how could anyone want to trade that collage of beautiful memories and champagne-soaked dreams for a single stupid world title! I'll take 7 12th place participation trophies every time.

Is this the post of the year? I don’t know cause I don’t pay attention but I lol’ed IRL.
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2018, 09:03 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I live in the present, not the past.

A Super Bowl win 3 years ago would be meaningless if we go 4-12 this year.

(08-21-2018, 01:18 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Oh boy!  Nothing like spending a few hours every Sunday looking at a trophy.

(08-21-2018, 02:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Never said they don't matter.  But that is typical.  People can't disagree with hat I really say so they make up something they can argue with.

You said yourself that a Super Bowl win from 3 years ago would be meaningless if we went 4-12 this year. I don't see how I'm twisting your words much.

To you last post, a better comparison would be the Bengals vs the Colts. If a Bengals fan tried to smack talk a Colts fan, our lack of a championship would be one of the first things they brought up. They haven't had a winning season since 2014, they haven't won a SB since 2006, but we all know it'd get brought up. 

It's fine for you to not value old championships, but just know that most fans don't feel that way. Sports fans are generally a nostalgic bunch. Just look at how we talk about 1988 still. Now imagine if we'd won a pair of championships in the 80's. You don't think we'd heavily value those memories? C'mon now. I've seen you talk about Boomer, Kenny and all those old teams.

You think we'll look back on Marv and Dalton the same way we do Wyche and Boomer? You know the answer to that, and that also answers the question of what's more valuable...and Wyche didn't even win the SB.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2018, 03:13 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: It's fine for you to not value old championships, but just know that most fans don't feel that way.

Pretty much every fan I know thinks it is pathetic for a fan at a current game to try and talk smack about a championship from year ago while his team is being stomped on the field.

The joy I get from sports is not looking back on old championships.  It is getting excited about current games.  
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2018, 04:12 PM)Nately120 Wrote: How is this even a hypothetical with a team that hasn't finished higher than 12th place in the NFL in 27 years?  I don't get it.  Maybe I'm spoiled by our recent relative success, but I'd take a SB win somewhere between 2003 and today rather than the real-life memories I have of:

getting Kimo-ed out of the playoffs in 2005
flopping against Mark Sanchez and the Jets in 2009
flopping against TJ Yates and the Texans in 2011
scoring an amazing 3 points on offense against the Texans in 2012
not losing at home until it counted the most vs the Chargers in 2013
watching our discarded scrapheap RB run over us in 2014
not being amazed the Bengals found a way to beg the Steelers to humilaite them yet again in 2015

Dear lord, how could anyone want to trade that collage of beautiful memories and champagne-soaked dreams for a single stupid world title!  I'll take 7 12th place participation trophies every time.

To me those losses would have hurt just as bad even if we had a prior championship. 
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2018, 03:59 PM)fredtoast Wrote: To me those losses would have hurt just as bad even if we had a prior championship. 

Hard to say, because I've never "won" on SB sunday.  I will say that I've been a Penguins fan for decades and this year when they lost to the hated rival Capitals in the playoffs I was unhappy.  I got over it a lot faster by saying "Well, they won the past 2 Stanley Cups in a row, so maybe I'm being a spoiled little ***** about it."

But then again, we are talking one championship in 20 years, or so.  Ida know...I'd still take it.  It's not like we aren't living through an historic drought at the moment, anyways.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2018, 03:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Pretty much every fan I know thinks it is pathetic for a fan at a current game to try and talk smack about a championship from year ago while his team is being stomped on the field.

The joy I get from sports is not looking back on old championships.  It is getting excited about current games.  

So you disagree that most fans value previous championships (not just for smack talking purposes)?

I'll be sure to remember this talk when you partake in one of our many threads looking back on the 1988 season or those players.
Reply/Quote
Anyone who doesn’t say super bowl hasn’t been alive for last 27 years
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote