Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Superfood" supplements
Has anyone on here had any positive experiences with them that they would like to share? Any brands that you might recommend, or discourage one from buying?

A little background. I have always had a serious disdain for eating enough healthy fruits and vegetables in my diet. I simply don't care for many of them. Logically, I fully realize that I'm missing out on a plethora of vitamins and micronutrients that my body could seriously put to good use, but I just can't force myself to eat what I don't like.

I've spoken with my doctor about this. He says "on the record", I can't promote the use of anything that does not have the full approval and endorsement of the FDA. "Off the record", he says that he would look closely at any brand that I want to try, to make certain there is nothing that would interfere with my individual health plan.

I've spent some time looking at brands, prices, ingredients, claims and reviews. To be honest, they all look pretty much the same, after looking at a dozen or so. I do know that I want to look at powder form, to be mixed with juice or water, and I want to avoid ones with added sugar.

So, anyone with any experience/knowledge of these types of supplements, any input would be most welcomed.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Not sure if I'm on the same track as you but once used BSN labs NO-Explode when I used to work out. That was some pretty good stuff and was very effective. However, that's been awhile back.

Reply/Quote
(02-26-2018, 08:00 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Not sure if I'm on the same track as you but once used BSN labs NO-Explode when I used to work out. That was some pretty good stuff and was very effective. However, that's been awhile back.

That is more of a "pre-workout" type of product.  What I'm looking into is for general nutrients to supplement a poor diet.  More of a general health/well being pick up.

I'm pretty good at managing the macro nutrients (protein/fats/carbohydrates), it's the micronutrients that I struggle to get enough of.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
The only true superfoods I know are fresh vegetables and fruits. They have the nutrients that your body, not your mind, craves the most. Anything in a powder form has been dehydrated and processed and has lost up to 95% of any natural nutrients. And if you are past your mid-40's, your body just isn't synthesizing proteins and carbs the way it used to when you were younger (particularly through meat, dairy and bread).

If you really want to help your body, I recommend getting a juicer and doing a daily vegetable juice supplement.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
The only "superfood" I know of is made by Anheiser-Busch, it usually comes in individual 12 oz cans, but you can find them in 16, 20, 25, or even 40 oz's.  Try the fully leaded type, that really packs the pounds on! 

Wink
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(02-26-2018, 10:59 AM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: The only "superfood" I know of is made by Anheiser-Busch, it usually comes in individual 12 oz cans, but you can find them in 16, 20, 25, or even 40 oz's.  Try the fully leaded type, that really packs the pounds on! 

Wink

Lol, I just turned 49, putting pounds on hasn't been a problem the past 15 years.  When I had to quit playing football, my metabolism came back to that of an ordinary individual.  I played ball at #235, I now walk around at #260.  I still strength train, and even compete when my injuries don't halt my training, but the doctor says it's getting time to scale things back.

I'd like to achieve this with as little lifestyle modification as I can.  Between my job (land surveyor) and the gym training, I get plenty of exercise.  I've done portion reduction, as I only eat about half the volume of what I did 10 years ago.  I drink a little less, due to dangers of sugar and blood pressure.  Probably the next step will be to cut out the restaurant lunches with my manager.  When working totally by myself for 3 months last year, I packed my lunch.  During that time, I dropped 15 lbs.  As a result, all of my blood numbers improved dramatically.

At my last doctor visit, doc looks at me and says "you've been eating lunch with the boss again, haven't you?".   LOL   

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Sunset I was JUST like you. I didnt really like fruits or veggies, didnt make an effort to get them in my diet, and found it to be a pain in the ass to keep them fresh and on hand.

I got a nutri bullet for Christmas and its been a game changer. I now buy frozen fruits (strawberries, blueberries, pineapple, bananas, freeze spinach, etc) and now make a smoothie pretty much every night. I also put flax seeds and chia seeds in my smoothies with protein powder.

Its a great way to get nutrients without the effort. A lot of the stuff you put in the smoothie you cant even really taste.

My go to is:
Frozen blueberries, vanilla protein powder, flax seeds, chia seeds, spinach, and milk.

I will admit, they honestly dont make me feel much different, but I know my body is getting the nutrients it wants and the nutrients it needs to stay healthy and thats good enough for me.

Oh, and on the vitamin front, I literally just read an article the other day that was saying that pretty much all multivitams are a scam (I have heard this from multiple sources). I would try and go the route to get the vitamins and minerals and nutrients through food as best you can.

Here is the nutribullet I own:

https://www.amazon.com/NutriBullet-12-Piece-High-Speed-Blender-System/dp/B007TIE0GQ/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1519678673&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=nutribullet&psc=1
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2018, 09:24 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: The only true superfoods I know are fresh vegetables and fruits. They have the nutrients that your body, not your mind, craves the most. Anything in a powder form has been dehydrated and processed and has lost up to 95% of any natural nutrients. And if you are past your mid-40's, your body just isn't synthesizing proteins and carbs the way it used to when you were younger (particularly through meat, dairy and bread).

If you really want to help your body, I recommend getting a juicer and doing a daily vegetable juice supplement.

I have done the juicing thing and it is a royal pain in the ass. You have to buy so many fruits and vegetables to even get a cup of juice and half of the fruit or veggie is wasted and you miss out on the fiber that the skin provides. Not to mention the cleanup and time it takes to juice. 
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2018, 05:52 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Sunset I was JUST like you. I didnt really like fruits or veggies, didnt make an effort to get them in my diet, and found it to be a pain in the ass to keep them fresh and on hand.

I got a nutri bullet for Christmas and its been a game changer. I now buy frozen fruits (strawberries, blueberries, pineapple, bananas, freeze spinach, etc) and now make a smoothie pretty much every night. I also put flax seeds and chia seeds in my smoothies with protein powder.

Its a great way to get nutrients without the effort. A lot of the stuff you put in the smoothie you cant even really taste.

My go to is:
Frozen blueberries, vanilla protein powder, flax seeds, chia seeds, spinach, and milk.

I will admit, they honestly dont make me feel much different, but I know my body is getting the nutrients it wants and the nutrients it needs to stay healthy and thats good enough for me.

Oh, and on the vitamin front, I literally just read an article the other day that was saying that pretty much all multivitams are a scam (I have heard this from multiple sources). I would try and go the route to get the vitamins and minerals and nutrients through food as best you can.

https://www.amazon.com/NutriBullet-12-Piece-High-Speed-Blender-System/dp/B007TIE0GQ/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1519678673&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=nutribullet&psc=1

Thanks, that might be an option.

If I go that route and decide I don't like the taste of it. Would recommend adding 3-4 shots of Bourbon, or Gin?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2018, 05:55 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I have done the juicing thing and it is a royal pain in the ass. You have to buy so many fruits and vegetables to even get a cup of juice and half of the fruit or veggie is wasted and you miss out on the fiber that the skin provides. Not to mention the cleanup and time it takes to juice. 

I got a great juicer. Takes me twenty minutes to make a pitcher that lasts a couple of days with clean-up. And after I juice, I take the pulps, put it in a bag in the fridge and the wife makes a veggie lasagna. No waste. No lack of fiber.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2018, 05:52 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Sunset I was JUST like you. I didnt really like fruits or veggies, didnt make an effort to get them in my diet, and found it to be a pain in the ass to keep them fresh and on hand.

My go to is:

We use a similar product to make smoothies. Same ingredients except the protein powder and milk. My wife uses a different powder. I'll have to ask her what it is.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2018, 06:13 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Thanks, that might be an option.

If I go that route and decide I don't like the taste of it.  Would recommend adding 3-4 shots of Bourbon, or Gin?

Go with the bourbon, but instead of adding it to the smoothie, just drink it before. 

Seriously though, you will like the taste. They give you a recipe book as well and a lot of the stuff in there is delicious.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2018, 06:51 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Go with the bourbon, but instead of adding it to the smoothie, just drink it before. 

Seriously though, you will like the taste. They give you a recipe book as well and a lot of the stuff in there is delicious.

That's a relief.  The Doc suggested drinking V8 as a healthy substitute for eating actual vegetables.  I think I got about half of one down, before I decided to just chuck it in the trash.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2018, 06:57 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That's a relief.  The Doc suggested drinking V8 as a healthy substitute for eating actual vegetables.  I think I got about half of one down, before I decided to just chuck it in the trash.

Yeah v8 is pretty gross. Unless you add vodka and make a bloody out of it. 
Reply/Quote
Have the same problem as Sunset but may not have tried as hard. Played sports at 220 and then was 235 in 30's which I carry perfectly. But worked construction climbing ladders all day while playing softball at night and tournaments on weekends mixed in with basketball in spare time.

Now work in hospital and legs are shot from everything I have put them through and went to 290. Still do not look like I weigh nearly that much and most call BS, but I did. Now at 270 but need to drop plenty more.

But out of all my friends who did the same thing that have tried to seriously rectify problem

Zona seems to be right, the ones with success and even say it changed them mentally as well credit JUICING.

They swear by it and by looking at results can not dispute it.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2018, 09:24 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: Anything in a powder form has been dehydrated and processed and has lost up to 95% of any natural nutrients.

This.
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2018, 10:05 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Yeah v8 is pretty gross. Unless you add vodka and make a bloody out of it. 

Not a big fan of V8 either. 

But my father used to use it in his chili instead of water and it was ok that way for me. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Creatine is real. Thanks to cheating ass soviets way back when in the olympics we have known about it.

Easily my favorite supplement. Im sure you know about it. But as far as supplements it has to be the best legal one.

Green tea with some tumeric and black pepper is supposed to be good for you. Ad a little lemon and you get a tolerable caffeinated beverage with alleged health benefits. I drink it every day now then black coffee. While i was gaining weight sitting on my ass at this new job i think that has helped reverse the trend
Reply/Quote